Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > I saw Momma kissin' Santa Claus! The HOLIDAZE thread...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 1
I saw Momma kissin' Santa Claus! The HOLIDAZE thread...Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
OK...I am in a totally Bah Humbug mood....so let's make this the thread "to talk up Christmas!"

Whatever you wanna share...what it means to you....your fondest memory...your fave Christmas song....your family traditions....what you would love to see under your tree....the best present you have received....ETC....

You get it...talk it up and let's TRY and leave the BAH HUMBUG-ing at home!
 jussweet
Msg: 2
I saw Momma kissin' Santa Claus! The HOLIDAZE thread...
Posted: 12/8/2008 8:36:31 AM
Kat great idea!
My best Christmas ever was somewhere around the year 1967 yes that would have made me about 8 yrs old (please no comments about age ). My Mom was sick that year so that meant that Santa was too. (My Dad was not the Santa but I still loved him dearly). So the day after Christmas Mom said we could go to the local drug store... probably Rexall back then and I could pick out my present. Well I picked out the cutest little baby doll dressed in pink and when you rocked her her eyes would slowly close. I also picked out a little plastic guitar. I was gonna be a rock star and a Momma! Well I've become a Mom since then and never have learned to play quitar but I still remember that year and it was my best ever! Yes I still have the doll... in the basement in a box her name is Amy!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/8/2008 8:43:34 AM
Awww....its moments like that, Laura...that will help me to get my Christmas spirit back! ;O)

I think I am tied for best present....

I know one year, when ATM's first appeared, my mom got us savings accounts with an ATM (Jeannie can do!!) card and we thought we were the sh1t! LOL To add to it, since they were brand new, they had a promotion where when you withdrew or deposited money, or even did an inquiry....you got a receipt with a "prize"...stuff from Burger Chef and things like that! LMAO (Wow...talk about dating ourselves!!)

The other...was a REALLY rough year for me as a single, young parent. Did not have a CLUE how I was going to put the things under the tree that they were asking for...and my four kids NEVER asked for all that much. After exhausting the funds I had to the MAX...I went to the boat to people watch and just kill some time and get my bearings. I stuck the last $20 I had in the machine...and ended up winning $250! Funniest thing is...I started to leave...realized it was rush hour, so sat at another machine and put the remainder of my original $20 in....and won $500 more!!! I left pronto and went shopping and that Christmas turned into the most awesome one we had in ages...with them getting everything and more! *sigh*
 TheKidof72
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/8/2008 8:44:20 AM
I got a missing person report filled out on me for Christmas..........just goes to show you that in my family, you had best show up on Christmas Day or at least answer your phone!
 jussweet
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/8/2008 9:02:44 AM
Theresa you are not suppose to run away on Christmas! Were you uhmmmm BUSY?
 TheKidof72
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/8/2008 9:18:42 AM
yeah, I was uhmmmmm Busy. Actually I turned my phone ringer off cause I went to the movies the night before and didn't turn it back up. That will teach me. But the officer that I had to call to let him know that I was ok, was pretty hot sounding, too bad he was married.
 imalitltpot
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/8/2008 10:01:49 AM
The title of this thread reminded me of a onesie I saw at a craft show that said "I'm the result of Mommy kissing Santa Claus".
 ~StL
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/8/2008 5:48:51 PM
awe, memories...

My holidays started with Thanksgiving actually. I was born on Thanksgiving .. mom loved to cook so we would have my dads 3 brothers over with their families. Well heck, needless to say that was my birthday celebration.

Then there was Christmas. It was magical. I was the youngest of three.. my sister being 6 years older and my brother being 14 years older. Of course everyone knew but me who was Santa. I can close my eyes and visualize the Christmas tree in the living room and the thrill when I would come around the corner and there were presents galore. Of course, Santa had eaten his cookes and milk .

Those were the days. I so miss my family so I say to ALL... treasure the moment..before you know it things WILL be totally changed. One thing for certain, things are going to change.

ok wait, do you remember the aluminum tree with the color spinning light shinning on it??? Those were the days.
 badassharley4u
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/8/2008 6:14:40 PM
Are you kidding................My best Christmas ever

was when I got my... "Daisy Red Ryder 200-Shot Carbine Action BB Air Rifle.”
And I didn't even "shoot my eye out.” .........but the birds and other creaters around my house were not so lucky.............

then it all started down hill ya merry freaken xmas...

randy
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/8/2008 6:37:38 PM
Oh Man, Randy...you reminded me of some Christmas disasters where I swear, I could make a "Bully Brothers" thread!

My brother shoved me backwards into a spanish stucco (IE...the HUGE stucco) wall....shoved me forward to where a plant stake went in my forehead...pulled me by the arms allllll over dads shag carpet (worse rug burn I have EVER experienced...my entire tummy scabbed!)....and yes, shot me with the dayum BB guns!! ALL at Christmas at Dad's house!
 sporty_ambie09
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/8/2008 7:14:55 PM
We used to go on trips to my brother's house on Christmas!! I remember one year, that I went alone to Indianapolis and was surprised with NBA tickets to see the last season that Dennis Rodman played for the Spurs.
 pizza_chef1
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/9/2008 1:15:34 AM
One of my most memorable Christmas' was one year after my divorce. I have never had my kids in the 10-14 days before and I had made a cajun dish to eat. Kids loved it and so did I... I was working as a traveling sales person and was not home much, I was also the childrens play director and worship leader at my church. Well on Christmas eve I finsihed off my cajun dish... The next day on Christmas I discovered why you never eat left over shrimp after 4 days! I was sicker than a dog I was running a high fever, chilled, queasy, and felt dead!!! Plus I had to drive 2 hours to go and pick my kids up... No one in my family wanted to leave on Christmas day... So I got my kids, came home, and went to bed!
 STLTASHA2
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/9/2008 6:51:27 AM
I am wondering if it is possible for us to post Christmas photos of when we were children here. Just one per person....Kat? Is there a way?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/9/2008 7:47:20 AM
You can post one in your profile! ;)

No way of posting pics to a thread that is not an aftermath party thread!

But lots of people post holiday themed photos of themselves on their profiles, and change them when the holiday is over. :O)

Just keep in mind, if it is your MAIN photo, it has to show your face. :)
 STLTASHA2
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/9/2008 8:29:33 AM
I do remember "silver trees"! And, I remember, EVERY store and business closed for Christmas (and New Year's). As a matter of fact, no businesses were open on Sunday.
Stores were NOT decorated for Christmas before Halloween. Most toys and clothing were MADE IN AMERICA!!!
Getting up on Christmas morning EARLY with my brother to see what Santa had brought us, opening those presents and being reminded by Mom and Dad that OUR family gave gifts to each other to acknowledge the gift God had given to us, his only Son, Jesus, so we may have our sins forgiven and have eternal life thru Him. This is how I was raised. It is what I have chosen to believe, and to me, this is Christmas!!! And I have many happy memories of those childhood years. Thank you, everyone for sharing yours!!!
 Previously36
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:07:07 AM
I am on call for the hospitals Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I am blessed to do so. If I have to come in, I am glad I can help someone less fortunate than I am for the day. I can't gripe about coming to test a child that has to be in the hospital on Christmas Day.
 STLTASHA2
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:23:49 AM
And you are giving of yourself, which I think is truly "the spirit!" The more I see (read) about YOU...I wish there were more people like you. You are a gift!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:26:23 AM
I think it sucks when someone has to work on ANY holiday, when they have small children at home....but one the kidlets are grown, no biggie. Honestly, a part of me would almost appreciate the need to be at work on any holiday but Thanksgiving. My kids have their own things to do...and it can feel like the loneliest time of all, when I am one of the least lonliest people! LOL

But I can most definitely see how you, Sheila, would feel an honor to be working with these kidlets who have to be there!!! Kudos to you!!

Maybe that's why I am so bah hum bug like....^^^ kind of stuff is what Christmas SHOULD be about...but it always ends up so freaking commercialized. Reason for the Season...yanno???

Tasha...also loved your post!!! :O)
 frtnhnfloed
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:38:09 AM
Yea, there should be more ppl like u sheila,

Can u multiply yourself? and make another 10 of u
 Previously36
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/9/2008 10:25:59 AM
George! I am a 10! To multiply that by 10 would be 100! (and I am one of 10 children!)

Christmas morning was fun at our house for the most part, there wasn't much for us older kids, usually new slippers or pjs, or an album, but Dad always had the fireplace lit and I enjoyed watching the younger kids go crazy. My youngest, my sister Gayle, was born on 11/30. That Christmas I sat next to my Dad while we both were talking about how wonderful of a Christmas gift she was. When I was very young the tree wouldn't be there till Christmas morning, that was a thrill itself!

Otherwise, the stocking was always good for some sweets and mixed nuts which we liked the challenge of cracking open (except the Christmas I had a cast and they fell into it!). Other than holidays we didn't have candy unless we bought it and we lived at least 5 miles from anything! Of course, having lots of big hills helped it be even better when it snowed for Christmas.

It was sweet, so simple, and yet we looked forward to it just as much as kids do today.

For my kids, I found that I couldn't keep track of what the kids were opening and they would be done within 10 minutes it seemed, so one year I put numbers on the packages instead of names. The names were on the tags that would have been on the package but the corresponding number was on the back. I would read the number off, they would all 3 work together looking for that package. Then the person that the gift was for got to open it while the other 2 waited for the next search. Even now, they like the numbered gifts. It keeps the happy anticipation last longer.
 sctrrdr69
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2008 6:04:30 PM
My holidays started with Thanksgiving actually. I was born on Thanksgiving
hey Susie, I thought there was something about you I liked, lol....I was born on Thanksgiving too, and just had my 50th on Thanksgiving..

Sheila - I always used to schedule myself for work on Christmas so that someone with family could have off...I'll go in to work for you, lol..
 Lisalsb
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2008 6:31:52 PM
Hmmmm ... best Christmas ever, huh? Do I have to stick w/ just one? There's several memories that make it the best Christmas ever ... Let's see ... the earliest one I can remember was when I was woken up Christmas Eve by Mama to tell me Santa was there with my presents ... Boy was I surprised when I came out of my room and Santa actually WAS there, sitting on the couch!! Years later I realized it was my dad ... LoL ... Then there was the last Christmas my little brother was with us ... He was diagnosed with Leukemia when he was 2 and a half ... when he was 4, the Dr's knew it would be his last Christmas and they let him go home for the Holiday ... He did die the following Feb. Another one was when My sister, her kids, and I were living in different states and we both flew home to spend Christmas with Mama ... We hadn't seen each other in a couple years and it was so good to spend the Holidays together ... And then there was the first Christmas after my son was born ... it was my first Christmas as a Mom ... Ah, so many memories!

Keep the Christ in Christmas ... Merry Christmas, Everyone

Lisa
 scoutmom
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/9/2008 9:27:35 PM
My best Christmas ever, huh? Well, I would have to say that the one that gave me the greatest Christmas spirit was when Cody was almost 3. He was old enough to really understand the whole Santa thing and was really looking forward to Christmas. The only problem was that his dad has once again walked out on a job and hadn't bothered to find a new one and I was in the process of getting on disability so I had no income coming in. We were going to Circle of Concern down in Valley Park for our monthly "shopping" trips or we wouldn't have even had any food on the table. So needless to say, I had no presents for Cody from Santa. One Friday evening when Cody was at my Mom's for an overnight, there was a knock on our apartment door. I opened the door to a huge group of people all carrying presents. Presents for Cody, me, Darell, the family as a whole........enough presents for 20 people!!!!! It turns out we were adopted by a local church and I didn't even know it!! Turned in to the best Christmas ever........it took Cody 2 hours to open presents. He even had to take a break from opening cause there were too many to open. Needless to say, I got down on my knees and thanked God for our many blessings and the wonderful people that he sent into our lives that Christmas.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:51:56 AM
Awww...these are awesome stories, guys!

I would really like to turn my negative holiDAZE attitude, into a positive one! I always had such awesome Christmases...heck...ALL holidays with my mom were awesome! She even did the whole filling the boots on St. Nicks day! LOL And I passed the same traditions down to my kids...but where do you find new meaning to it once your kids are on their own?? The uncommercialized sort??

To me, it's just so much pressure financially...so much stress...I just want to tell everyone I will be out of town and hole up in bed! LOL

Keep 'em coming...they are putting smiles on my face! Though I will NEVER get anywhere NEAR to liking SNOW! ICK!
 Lisalsb
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2008 2:35:51 PM
Hiya Kat ... it's hard to be in the holiday spirit when the kids are away or on their own. I was kinda going through a similiar thing when my son was living w/ his dad for a couple years and he and I were living on opposite coasts. I may have an idea of how to get the meaning ... Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to preach here. Follow me for a second, okay ... Please ( batting eyes and smiling ) What is Christmas all about, really? It's for giving, sharing, helping, spending time w/ others ... for Christians, it's about the birth of Jesus and all that he represents and what he means to each of us. Now as for ideas on how to find a new meaning ... Hmmm, a couple ideas may be to visit a nursing home or assisted living center ... Spend time w/ the residents there ... ask them what their best Christmas was ... what Christmas means to them ... sad to say, but some don't have many visitors, if any ... just having someone spend time with them, talk, play a game, anything would mean the world to them ... Helping out at a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter ... Being able to help others, let another know that there really IS someone out there who actually cares ... And the feeling you get when you realized you may have spent just 5 minutes or more with someone not as fortunate as you and you may have given them the most precious thing ... a little of your own time and a small piece of yourself ... so many are just too busy and it's all about "me" and "what's in it for me" ... I hope this helps, Kat ... Either way, I think you'll be alright, hon ... have a Merry Christmas!

Lisa
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > I saw Momma kissin' Santa Claus! The HOLIDAZE thread...