Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Recycling Failure...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Byrd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...Page 1 of 1    
Here's one way alot of people make ends meet myself included I never made alot at it as I'm disabled but that fifty bucks every three weeks came in handy..What I don't understand is why is the recycling programs failing if people are constantly paying into it..30 cents for a six pack of beer you get .15 cents back..Someones got deep pockets..Any ideas? Thoughts...?
 Byrd
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/9/2008 7:56:25 PM
Wow this thread really made it I'm s0 proud...Messages this short cannot be...You got me there.... Messages this short may not be posted..So no one does recycling here?
 2 know you
Msg: 3
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/9/2008 10:02:29 PM
Its simply supply vs' demand. Since the world markets took a tumble, most commodities have dropped in value, making it unprofitable to continue purchasing and prossessing them. I also depend on income from recycled good and have been hit hard by this sudden downturn. All you can do is stockpile you're goods and wait until the prices go back up. We might be waiting a while though, I have found other ways to use my time and space more wisely. Good luck, we're all in this together.
 clown0
Msg: 4
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/9/2008 11:04:35 PM
byrd, I used to not to do recycling. I do it now for natures creatures. Do my part to keep my city from looking trashy. Now if people would stop tearing trees and destroying farmlands for highways and soon to be deserted housing additions.
 Vancer
Msg: 5
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/9/2008 11:45:49 PM
In the city I live in, recycling is required by law...unless you live in an apartment complex like I do.
At first I didn't recycle because it was easier not to worry about it.
Now I recycle, because all I have to do is organize my garbage right, and then put it into the proper bin.

I don't have anything I can recycle that gets me money back though.
I don't even care if it makes a difference to the environment or to my finances, it's just that it gives me a sense of accomplishment, when it really requires little effort from me.

Yes, I am one lazy dude.
 redneck176
Msg: 6
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 8:41:59 AM
It is sad that it has to be required before most people will even lift a finger to recycle. I live out of town so I started recycling to keep my dump bill and runs down. Now I recycle all the time, though the process is a pain in the butt at least I feel I am doin my part. In Western Washington there are lots of places to recycle but the farther east I go the harder it is to find anyplace for anything other than aluminum cans.

Put it all in landfills it will be O.K. someone else can fix it later. Downtown they had 2 dumpsters for each 3 or 4 houses to use, one for recyclables one for regular trash. The city spent a bunch of money setting that up but now removed the recycling cans because people suck and refused to do their part, both cans were filled with trash. Maybe someday people will get the hint.
 Byrd
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 9:26:24 AM
You know people always throw trash in the recyclers, not just kids either..Here in S.B. One of our trash companies built a huge recycling plant from what I've heard they sift through garbage to get recycling, (so do I), And I also recycle just about everything I get ahold of weather it makes me money or not..I ran a recycling center back in Ft. Wayne, one Summer when I was a kid just before the virus took my brain and turned in into unrecycleable mush..Now I'll always be 17 even though I'm 50..Maybe that's better than being recycled. Stockpiling could be one hell of a payoff someday..Now I just do it for extra food..If that trail ends I have other possiblities I live near the ocean fishing licences for the year really doesn't cost all that much I could go spear fishing, maybe snag my soulmate. One never knows..Plus there are over 5,000 species of ediable plants in California..I may lose weight but I won't starve..Actually have a strawberry guava tree in the yard..I guess we must look else where for our survival for awhile, oh yea the avacado trees next door..Then there's always Montecito next door that's where many wealthy and Hollyweird stars live they will always need servents to cater to their every need or vices...But I'd much rather just recycle.
 Winter Wren
Msg: 8
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 9:32:10 AM
There are two recycling failures: The failure of people to recycle, and the collapse of the market for recycled materials.
The first is a shame and I'm convinced it's just because people don't care, and the second is a victim of the current economic circumstance. Although where I am from, there is a real problem in establishing a market for some recyclables such as glass because it is costly to transport and no-one seems to want it. Both situations are leading to stockpiles of recyclables not being re-used......
 Mom2Beagle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 1:16:37 PM
OP, I don't understand your post. Make money from recycling? How do you do that? Perhaps it's a thing you have in the states that we don't have here.

We have curbside recycling - we call it blue box and gray box - one week the blue box (cans, jars, styrofoam) go out, the next week gray box (paper goods). I have been using the municipal system for many, many years. Now, my municipality charges $2 per bag of garbage set out, so there is a financial incentive to recycle, as it's free. I only throw a bag out every 2 or 3 weeks and usually that is not even full.
 39 Peterbuilt
Msg: 10
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 1:44:06 PM
Well Byrd, you live in Santa Barbara, and Marbourg Disposal handles that town, They recycle everything, weather you seperate your garbage or not...

Copper is down to $1.00 per pound Aluminum is down around $.25 Per Pound, so you may wish to go for Pop Bottles...

I myself have always done better on Fiewood, I recycle Fallen Trees into Firewood and sell it, I just started selling to Crown Liquor over on Milpas...
 cupatea2010
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:10:15 PM
Recycle....we are having people stealing anything made out of metals, copper to take it to the recycling center for money.

They are stealing copper pipes and statues from churches. There is now a dozen people that go "junking'...go to various neighborhoods and pick up old swing sets, sheds,refrigerators, stoves..to sell to the recycling centers who will give you top dollar for them.
 Byrd
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:20:37 PM
They been getting on roofs down here on South Milpas to get cooper..The last time I went in it was 1.59 for a pound of cans...72 cents for a pound of clear plastic..10 cents for glass no wine bottles..Are we still going to have to pay out huge CRV'S on cans and bottles even though we are getting hardly anything back not even half.?.I guess I better go check some prices
 Vancer
Msg: 13
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 4:50:34 PM
Back when I was a kid they paid for returns. I used to carry all of our bottles down to the corner store in my wagon.
I am not joking, even though it sounds incredibly like a Norman Rockwell life.
Now, the only thing I can think of around here that they pay on, are beer bottles.
 Winter Wren
Msg: 14
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:18:59 PM
Hmmmm.
Here, anything with a "enviro" levy is redeemable for refund....even tetrapacks.
 Byrd
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/30/2009 2:27:16 PM
There was alittle story in the news recently that the recycling centers are closing in California because some politicans in office were borrowing the money from the crv fund. It's too bad that those who are supposed to protect our intrests are scum bags, damn pubic servents.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/30/2009 4:21:47 PM
When you buy beverages of all sorts in the grocery and the liquor stores, ranging from 5 cents to 20 cents depending on the size of the container.
When you take the empty containers to a recycling depot, or the grocery store, liquor store.... waaaa laaaaaaaaaaa.. you get back that deposit money!

The dumpster divers and recycling hounds are making a good living here wandering the neighbourhoods going thru the blue boxes.... my kids bring home their juice boxes from school now...they know those wee boxes are worth 5 cents...well... I paid 5 cent deposits for them...so they better bring them back.

Since I started to recycle I've cut back my garbage from @ 10 full bags a month to @ 1 full bag a month.
Sorting the bottles, containers, cardboard, plastics aside for the Blue Box.
Same with my yard cuttings, leaves etc...all picked up by for Parks Dept and used for composting for the city gardens.
 Byrd
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/30/2009 9:32:40 PM
We only get half the deposit money back I recycled steady for a few years got staph acouple times trying to collect recycling I don't do it so much anymore but others do mostly homeless I wouldn't call it good money.
 barbee1970
Msg: 18
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/31/2009 7:25:22 AM
I noticed alot of homeless and low income people do recycle at the scrap yard.

I am not really as down on my luck as they are, but I recycle aluminum pop cans at $.30 a pound. So I get a little extra $5, every little bit helps. We recycle everything at work that's recycleable, paper, cardboard, plastic, cans,etc
 raxarsr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/31/2009 9:35:26 AM
when i was a kid...i too returned soda bottles for money...later.....as a boy scout..we had paper drives to raise money..............then the government stuck their noses into it.........i'm now charged to have my recyclables picked up......and can be fined if i dont set out the recycling bins......and yes....i have recieved a letter asking why i never recycle paper.........[i have a wood stove for heat and burn all my paper trash].......my question is.....who's making the money?..........seems to be rather a rip off..........i'm forced to pay someone to pick up the same stuff they used to pay me for...............but..i guess the government knows what its doing.........
 Byrd
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/31/2009 7:43:04 PM
I guess it's the state run recycling centers closing ours are private businesses they are not closing, one of them vows to stay open for the homeless and poor and that's kinda nice because not many companies this way will do things directly for the poor and homeless they all want a tax write off. We get alot more for alummin cans about 1.57 a pound but there are so many people collecting you hardly get anything. The politicans dipped into the State fund sounds about right.
 yna6
Msg: 21
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 12/31/2009 8:00:18 PM
Here you pay a 10 cent deposit, you get 10 cents back! We stuff the cans and plastic bottles into a "vending machine" that crushes them, then gives you a ticket for the amount you are owed.. Stand in line at the cash and they redeem it for you. Most large grocery stores have them in place.
I don't know why they don't legislate 50% recycled content on almost anything. Sure...a fall in the raw materials industry, but recycle plants would open up, and things would be a bit greener.
then again, Canada said at the last global warming meetings that we would do nothing that harmed our current economy, or endanger jobs. So....doesn't leave a lot to do, does it?
Balancing act. Clean up the environment at the cost of jobs, or continue allowing people to make a living at what they do. I guess a tree can't try to shoot you...so, its safer to protect jobs.
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 1/3/2010 6:23:27 AM
I lived in Portland OR for many years. They have curbside recycling and deposits on aluminum cans. Recycling there was easy and convenient. Even apts have dumpters and recycling centers.

Now I live in St Pete, FL. No deposits, no curbside recycling. If you want to recycle you have to haul it. I don't have the real estate to store recyclables until a trip to the recycling center is logistically planned.
 Funcuz
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 1/3/2010 6:33:04 AM
Almost everywhere has recycling one way or another. The reason it's not as big a deal as you may expect is because while there's plenty to recycle , the facilities are still lacking. No matter where you live , all that stuff you took the time to separate into recyclable and non-recyclable actually ends up right where it wasn't supposed to go in the first place. This is because , as I said , recycling capacity just isn't there yet. It's still not a bad idea to get people into the habit but if they knew the truth (and anybody can with just a few keystrokes on Google) they'd probably find themselves reverting to their pre-recycling lifestyle. It's actually better for the time being that more people don't go to the trouble they are ethically compelled to go to. If everybody recycled it wouldn't take long for people to also realize that it's just ending up at the dump anyway. From there you can bet the "Look what happens ....why bother ?" crowd will set in for the long haul.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 24
Recycling Failure...
Posted: 1/3/2010 10:05:29 AM
Where I am in Ohio our refuse companies do the sorting and recycling..it all goes in the same bin. I do save my aluminum cans(as I have the room for them) and take them when that bin gets full. When I shop I try to find the products that dont have a lot of wastefull packaging, which cuts down on the trash part of it from the word go.

It is kinda sad in a way that we feel we need to be paid to do the right thing for the planet we are to pass on to our next generation. We should be recycling simply because its part of cleaning up the mess we made. We all teach our kids to clean up their messes dont we? But yet we expect to get paid to do our share of it. Just some food for though.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Recycling Failure...