Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Middle Age and The Common Cold/FluPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I am not sure about the rest of you folk, but for some reason I find that when I get a cold or flu, my bounce back time isn't what is used to be. Is this to be expected? Hell even the common cold ends up being pneumonia. Do others experience this same thing at this age? Just curious to see if others are experiencing this? Suggestions to improve?
 red_relaxed
Msg: 2
Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:01:28 AM
Boost the immune system. When you feel a cold/flu coming on, take 2000 mg of vitamin C immediately. This helps me tremendously. I also take vitamin and mineral supplements daily.
Vitamin B complex also is vital for improved health for woman in their 50's and assists the immune system to ward off illness and fatigue.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 9:03:22 AM
So then I am not nuts? Others do in fact find it more difficult fending off even a silly virus!
Red thanks for the vitamin info. I will be sure to use it. Procal my darlin friend? Beer I can do no probs but galic in that quantity? How will I ever find a date?
 moraima
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 4:40:37 PM
I don't get flu or colds, except maybe every 5 to 10 years. My friends do all the time. I figure their immune system is opposite to mine, and isn't working well. I also find that emotional upset will play negatively with people immune system.
 clasact
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 5:02:33 PM
I've only had the flu twice and the last time was in Feb. 1988.

Last cold I had was about 8 years ago.
I work where there are lots of children too.

I never had any childhood diseases.

I'm not sure why it is that I rarely ever get sick.
I assume that I just have a healthy immune system.
 kane stays
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/11/2008 5:19:08 PM
I am a very lucky person in that I have a great immune system. I work in a Nursing Home and I am surrounded by just about anything you can think of. My best defense is hand washing and wearing gloves.
 dave1234
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 6:37:04 PM
Sleep. Get lots of sleep. The body fights off germs when at rest.
 moraima
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 8:04:42 PM
There is no way I would even take a flu shot. From my research, vaccines taken into the body by injection can't work, but will mutate into something that can cause much worse diseases that the flu. The immune systems needs to inhale the virus to know how to handle what it has come in contact with.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/11/2008 8:24:15 PM
From my research, vaccines taken into the body by injection can't work, but will mutate into something that can cause much worse diseases that the flu. The immune systems needs to inhale the virus to know how to handle what it has come in contact with.

With all due respect moraima, that is not entirely true..........I have some very fragile older patients that could die from the flu virus, especially my chronic COPD patients.They already have a life threatening respiratory condition, why subject them to a potential lethal virus?? I will continue to give these patients the flu vaccine, and recommend the pneumonia vaccine, especially for those patients 65 and over who are more susceptable to these viruses..........
 rustytraveler
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2008 10:47:09 PM
I don't get flu shots either, because the one time it was given at work for free, I had just gotten back from Mexico 2 weeks before and I have never gotten so sick in all my life, more than likely from all the nasty foreign bugs still cruising around my system than anything else...

I haven't had a major flu in years and years and maybe get a cold once or twice a year, usually short and mild. But I do take some vitamins daily; multi, omega 3, calcium and glucosamine...no C but we eat a lot of tangerines and oranges in the winter here.

A long time ago when my sons were still in grade school, they kept coming home with something or other all winter long and we decided to do an experiment. We sneeze and cough into our elbows not hands and wash our hands when we come back in from school, shopping or any public places where we touch something others have, including the stuff at school......personally I think shopping carts and hand rails are the germ/bacteria spreaders of the planet, next to drinking fountains at school. Someone sneezes on their hands and puts in on the cart, babies mouth it and drool on it and then you touch your nose or mouth......anyway after 6 months we had 2/3rds less sickness in the house and that still holds today.
So try washing your hands a lot, it works.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/11/2008 10:57:54 PM
lol Sans, my mom did the same thing with the vapor rub and then my kid's doctor told me never to use it, he said it had handicapped the immune system. All i know is when I use it I can breath!

Having had chemo, I have problems with my immune system, however I have been getting a flu shot each year and finding it really works! My kids dont get one and they have gotten sick often in the the past few years and it skipped me! I think when you know you are at risk for something to talk to train professionals and find out what is the best decision for you.

Moonchild you might want to go to the doctor and get a complete exam and make sure there isnt a reason behind the slow recovery time. It could be a something simple like the need to take a vitamin daily.
 lelathecat
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/12/2008 1:20:30 AM
Since I moved here, I have been sick a lot more. New germs I suppose. I get a flu shot every year and it works.

OP this is the age that the years of smoking starts to catch up to you too.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/12/2008 12:06:38 PM
I just got back from Vegas....and guess what? I got sick just before I was due to leave. I had to go to a walk in clinic and get some antibiotics. I think that was partially due to stress, late hours at work and not enough rest, my immune system was down. I didn't venture too far from the hotel the first day, but by the next morning I was ready for adventure....what a fabulous 4 days. Still feeling a bit unwell so I'll baby myself for the next day or two....and you're right OP, it day take longer to bounce back.

I wanted to add that the one and only time I did recieved a flu shot was probably the sickest I can ever remember being....I thought I was gonna die....never again.

...maeflowers
 Moonchild51
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 12:17:53 PM
Well Miss Mae, am glad to hear you are on the mend darlin! I hate winter and all the germies that come along with it! My so called cold is now pneumonia so am on some heavy duty drugs and inhaler. So tired, yet restless cuz I am not used to downtime! One gal mentioned my smoking earlier, and sadly, I have to agree that it hasn't helped me at all. Realize now is the best time to kick it whilst I can't smoke anyway. And also? Have to agree, stress, heavy workload and everything else I am sure has not helped me out either! Sucks to be sick!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 12:47:25 PM
^^^God wee darlin, don't be doing that!! Good for you to have quit! Sorry to hear about your allergies hun, but better with them than smoking again!
I took the flu shot this year, as I have every year for quite some time. Alas, it never seems to protect me the way I want it to! lol Since I am susceptible to pneumonia, I think maybe now I should find out about the shot they have available. I have never been this sick before in my life...big sucky that I am!
 dave1234
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 1:01:01 PM

(Msg 38) I wanted to add that the one and only time I did recieved a flu shot was probably the sickest I can ever remember being....I thought I was gonna die....never again.

I had the same thing happen. A few year ago my doctor offered me a flu shot as I was 50 and it was free for people 50 and over. A government "gift".

I know! I know! I should have known!

The following year my Doctor offered me another flu shot and I told him if he wanted to kill me, then, go ahead. He swore up and down the flu shot had nothing to do with what happened the previous year.

"If you walk out the door and get hit by a car are you going to blame the flu shot", he asked.
"Only if I'm cursing you and not paying attention", I replied.

Anyway, no more flu shots for me. When I feel a cold coming on I get lots of rest.
 moraima
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 2:13:39 PM
"With all due respect moraima, that is not entirely true.........."

With all due respect............research further. Get out of the research the multimillion dollar drug companies want you to see.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 3:04:08 PM
Fark Libbers! You aren't making my having to quit the ciggys any easier darlin! lol
Yes, I know that I have to, no matter what. (I say as I cough up a lung with this dayumed pneumonia). Has been a tough two weeks for sure. Exhausted from the simplest of things. I would probably have had this beat had I not been a smoker and I hate myself for what I am going through now. Hey, I never flamed my own self before!! Kinda cool!!
 moraima
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 3:20:34 PM
" suggest you make Google your friend and do more research. Perhaps this will get you started."

Sorry Pumpkin, but attending seminars over the last decades with world holistic experts gives me answers not paid for by the big drug companies on google.

"
The primary reason to get a flu shot is to protect yourself from health effects related to flu. However, by getting a flu shot, you will also help protect other Canadians and reduce the burden on the health care system."

With all due respect, that just doesn't work.

A protect immune system is a weak immune system.

I could list what I use to protect my immunice system, but I would prefer that people do their own research.
 moraima
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 3:23:55 PM
"Why would you argue with London Lass? Surely her hands-on experience speaks more strongly than your conspiracy theories.

Because I have spent years of my life working with world experts on the subject!

Believe the big drug companies if you will. I will go with what I have learned. Why ?, because it has worked for decades for me.
 moraima
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 8:16:23 AM
"Sounds like a cop-out to me."

I have repeatedly listed multiple info on holistic care. It would be dull for most people here if I needed to post what I have learned. Taking care of ourselves is having the courage to do our own research, take seminars, and pick the brains of experts.

Respect is given when it is found. Dish it out, but don't like it when it comes back eh!
 outlawtomboy
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/13/2008 8:55:19 AM
last year i had the three week version of the flu and boy what a shocker. i hadn't had the flu in 20 years, and that former flu was followed my one and only flu shot

i work in a very public environment and am around coughs, colds, hiccups, runny noses, dirty hands, sputters, and little sneezers all day long. i've wondered if all this exposure has enhanced my immunities
 moraima
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 10:41:46 AM
"failed to cite the reference"

I asked people to do their own research. I am not trying to convince anyone to believe what I say, so they don't need to be given references.

"I suggest you make Google your friend and do more research. Perhaps this will get you started........................................etc."

Disrespect is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/13/2008 12:02:23 PM
This is another reason to have a boyfriend.. they can bring me soup for my cold and keep me warm... and say "poor dear" .... lol... <<<<<< he's kinda cute....

...yes, I quite agree.... seems everytime I'm down with a cold or the flu or I have car trouble, I think about about how nice it would be to have a man around....now that didn't come out right did it?

...maeflowers
 selfsong
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 12:43:59 PM
OP

SO FAR no, I do not get a cold or the flu any easier than when i was younger..well at least as far as can remember

God it has been years since I caught the flu...maybe this year....oops just remembered it was 8 years ago I got the flu and blew it out of my system in 3 days.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Middle Age and The Common Cold/Flu