Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > so it got down to -38 last night      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1AuthenticFellow
Msg: 1
so it got down to -38 last nightPage 1 of 1    
Now my truck won't start. I went out to check the battery, it should have enough power. It was plugged in all night
It could possible be frozen solid.
how would I thaw it out??? any ideas would help greatly.
 1AuthenticFellow
Msg: 2
so it got down to -38 last night
Posted: 12/14/2008 11:52:00 AM
Lol...I hooked a vacuum hose from the dryer vent to under the engine.

20 minutes later, starts no problem.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2008 5:12:09 AM
Rigging up a drop light with a 100W incandescent bulb ("regular" light bulb) next to the battery or under the oil pan can make a surprising difference.
I use a heated dipstick. Costs about $20. Nearly as effective as a block heater and can be used in almost any vehicle.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/15/2008 3:08:07 PM
make sure the block heater cord is connected to the block heater as well... I almost replaced my block heater until my uncle checked on the cord for me.

Yup, this weather makes me glad I have heated parking.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/16/2008 3:33:09 AM
ride a bike...
leave tools to grown up men
 RSwindol
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/16/2008 6:49:36 AM
Go to Canadian Tire or any automotive supply store and grab a battery blanket. Wrap it around the battery and you're good to go - leave it on all winter and plug in overnight - emits just the right amount of heat to keep the battery from freezing.

I love when people give you advice on how to start your vehicle and the instructions include a trip to the automotive store. I guess they assume everyone has one withing walking distance.

OP, just out of curiosity, when you say -38. Is that degrees C or F? And if you are referring to F, do you mean 38 degrees below freezing or 38 degrees below zero?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/16/2008 7:04:23 AM
He's reffering to C as most canucks do I'm sure. Although I don't know how much of a difference in feel there is between -36 fahreneheit (-38 celsius) and -38 fahrenheit

Given that Cdn Tire has a site where you can make purchases online, one doesn't need to have one within walking distance.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2008 9:06:26 PM
-40F is equal to -40C, so there wouldn't be much difference in sensation between -38C and -38F. That's cold enough to freeze to death in minutes either way.
Lacking a nearby auto parts store, you can improvise with a number of household devices or appliances, the idea is to apply a modest amount of heat to the engine and battery to allow the starter to turn the engine over easier. Sometimes, turning on the headlights will cause enough chemical activity in the battery to warm it enough to boost its output to start the engine. I once used an electric waffle iron to heat up my car engine enough to start it. The heat output from a 100W light bulb will work wonders, as well.
AFTER you start the car, drive to the auto parts store and buy a heated dipstick. It requires no special installation and you can use it for many years in other vehicles.
I recall my parents covered the hood of the car with moving blankets to keep some heat in the engine, they got up every 4 hours during the night to run the engine to keep it warmed enough to start.
 RSwindol
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/17/2008 3:26:35 AM
He's reffering to C as most canucks do I'm sure. Although I don't know how much of a difference in feel there is between -36 fahreneheit (-38 celsius) and -38 fahrenheit.

You're right. I did the conversion and -38 C is the same as -36 F. That's pretty close. I have to deal with temperature conversions at work a lot, but I never have to do freezing temperatures, so I was not readily familiar with those conversions.

But it's funny how here in the states, of someone says it's -10 degrees, it all depends on where they live as to what that temperate actually is. Most people who live in the South use the term -10 to mean that it's ten degrees below freezing...or 22 degrees, while int the North, when someone says -10, it means 10 degreed below zero...or 42 degrees below freezing. Celsius does make most since. Less confusion.

Given that Cdn Tire has a site where you can make purchases online, one doesn't need to have one within walking distance.

True, but then again, most people can't wait 3 to 5 days for delivery to crank their car.

I could just imagine calling into work and saying "I can't come in today. My car won't start and I have to wait for the product I ordered online to get here."
 1AuthenticFellow
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/18/2008 4:37:43 PM
It was frozen, but it is all good now. If I know it is going to get below 30, I bring in my battery, usually start it up about every 6 hours. Changed the oil out to 5W 30.

btw it is a 84 Chevy s-10 2.8l v6....I'm surprised it still kickin.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > so it got down to -38 last night