Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Chance encounters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentlewarrior
Msg: 1
Chance encountersPage 1 of 1    
So I meet you in a chance encounter in the mall (where I happen to work) etc and I think that you are attractive and would like to have a opportunity to get to know you. Is it okay to ask yo to meet me in a public place for coffee. Should I ask for her number or maybe offer mine.
 Woodstar
Msg: 2
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 6:10:30 PM
This has happened to me. We met at the gas station of all places! He asked if I would have coffee with him at the cafe across the street. So, I agreed and drove over to where he was standing waiting for me.

We had a great conversation. But I realized that would be it and told him so.

Years later a co worker came up to me and asked me if I remembered that coffee date.
Turned out he was a close friend of hers. I was a little surprised when she said he never forgotten and would still want to take me out...years later. He told her he liked how open and frank I was. I told her to tell him hello...but it still would not work.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Be Brave!
 tarwater
Msg: 3
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 6:18:01 PM
Sure. As long as you're approaching her in a fairly public place, as well.
 PoptartdoesArt
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 6:19:13 PM
Perfectly fine, although some women are a little leery of giving out their phone numbers to any stranger who requests it.

Perhaps you can offer up a request for something a little more "safe" like a Myspace or email address to keep her from feeling threatened?
 want2trust
Msg: 5
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 8:16:41 PM
I agree with the others. I might take your number, but would not offer mine.

My husband and I met in a VERY chance encounter. At a bar that I had never been to, and certainly did not intend on being in that night. (I went in with my daughter who was meeting friends that were late.) As a matter of fact, he says he was thinking "What am I doing here?" when he saw us walk in. We agreed to meet a few nights later in the same bar, as they were having a C/W band he liked. 2years later, here we are. Funny thing is, the bar is closed now.
I guess it's job was done!

So, go for it. You never know, she just might be 'the one'.

Connie & Mike
 EvilLolli
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 11:28:36 PM
I have done the coffee thing in a mall, felt it was safe, friendly and why the heck not? ph# no, thank god! He was mental, but I never considered any guy willing to be public and honest a bad thing! (just leave the meds and purple men at home if ya have 'em!)
If she isn'r interested you have wasted a few more hrs at work w/out pay, if she is---you just got a bonus!
 Irespire
Msg: 7
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/22/2008 11:29:22 PM
no because im a 22 year old guy
 happyrebel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 7:56:08 AM
I wouldn't ask for her number but certainly offer yours or just ask her to meet for a coffee. Although attempting to pick up women while working is probably not a good idea. Unless you already have pre-printed work/business cards, I wouldn't go that route. Some guy I met gave me his card. When I realized it had nothing to do with a business or such, I was turned-off. All it had was his name/number/email. I may be wrong, but it led me to think that he had 100's printed, just to pass out to women he met. Yes, I know some people do this for other reasons, to exchange emails or such...but .....that's the impression it gave me.

HR
 tiffanympm
Msg: 9
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:19:51 PM
I think you personally could get away with it. You have a very nice and soft way about your smile. If I was in your generation and looking... I would feel comfortable giving a nice smile like yours my number.

I think it depends on the people. I don't think my EX could walk up to somebody and ask for their number... he's not as warm.
 happyrebel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:23:56 PM
Ted Bundy had a nice smile too..........tiffany...maybe you feel safer because of the gray hair....but don't let that fool you....The murderers that get out after 30 years often have gray hair or no hair........

Sorry....I wouldn't give my number out to any guy I just met IRL. He can give me his...

HR

tiffanympm
Msg: 11
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:33:11 PM
Ted Bundy did not have a nice smile.

IRL? In real life? as opposed to in your fake life?
 _Icon_
Msg: 12
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:35:29 PM
My willingness to give up the digits is directly proportional to how attractive he is to me.

Just sayin'.
 ml456
Msg: 13
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:39:40 PM
IMO it's not any different than meeting someone at a bar or a club. If you have a pleasant conversation with her, then you could ask for her number. You have nothing to lose. The worst thing she could do is say No.
 Miss W
Msg: 14
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:51:41 PM
I've had it happen to me but I was encumbered at the time, and understood the courage that it took to approach me so I let him off easy. You never know. Give it a go.
 gentlewarrior
Msg: 15
Chance encounters
Posted: 12/25/2008 6:52:14 PM
Thank You all for your comments I appreciate them. From what I read I get that it is not a turn of to the majority

I told her where I worked (in my attempt to make her feel safe) as opposed to asking for her contact information.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Chance encounters