Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Serendipityone
Msg: 3
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
AYE! ... I'm a little Irish. Possibly more. The debate would be how much is Scottish and how much is Irish. I think I might be more Scottish....
 Serendipityone
Msg: 5
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:25:44 AM

AYE! ... I'm a little Irish. Possibly more. The debate would be how much is Scottish and how much is Irish. I think I might be more Scottish....[/]

what?

какую часть разве Вы не понимали?
 salsa35
Msg: 6
Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..
Posted: 1/3/2009 3:12:48 PM
Ms Grundy I think your last statement is making sweeping generalizations that are'nt based in any kind of facts. I live in the US we have tons of native Irish people here and they feel welcomed. They come here get jobs, buy houses, marry Irish/non Irish and their accent seems to get them anything they want. The Irish are loved by the Americans and just about every other American is a descendant of Ireland.

Now on the flip side, I am an American that lived in Galway for two years and was quite put off by being called a Yank all the time, or a blow in. Ok maybe they were joking, but after awhile it gets old. I would never refer to an Irish person as a Mick that would be an insult. So Miss Grundy the finger is pointing right back at you.
 dub08
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/6/2009 12:13:55 PM
Only problem there is Iceland is closed - a new one has opened in Ballyfermot though!
 salsa35
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/11/2009 7:27:28 AM
Yo Bam J I would respond. But on second thought, why waste my breath. I'll take the high road on this one.
 irishchick3
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/12/2009 6:12:54 AM
We definitely are 'Special'!!!

Luthion
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 2:59:46 PM
"In particular I want to know if you as an Irish man or woman have felt a bit frustrated that people don't get your sense of humour when you alight upon their shores and try to be a part of their lives ??"

If there's one thing I've noticed as an Irish person who has travelled the world, it's just how uptight the rest of the world can be. *laughs*

Nobody seems to get the loose, honest humour of the Irish except Irish.
 talkttoomuchpaddy
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:07:37 PM
Fairplay to you salsa35 if he called me a twat id find him and knock his teeth out.....ha ha just joking of course....We irish are special alright very special....haha....DONKEYS
 Kymber10
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/19/2009 4:03:20 PM
So good to see a proud race say it like it is !!!! We are Beautiful ! :) And that is why other races want to mix with us. Stay true to are own!! Keep us BEAUTIFUL !

Kymber
 beesinqueues
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/28/2009 1:48:40 PM
My personal experience is that the "Irish Sense of Humor " is biting, cruel, self-destructive & passive-aggressive.
On the one hand, it is complex and an acquired taste.
On the other hand, it's just vile and makes everybody feel bad.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:51:32 PM
Well, you can take the Irish out of Ireland but you will never take Ireland out of the Irish. The two times i've visited Ireland I have always been treated with hospitality and warmth. Then again it might have been because i'm an irish yank but a lot of time other visitors would ask me for directions when they saw me on the street. I look forward when i can return again.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/31/2009 11:55:49 PM
As far as irish humor I like to throw things out there to make you go mad. you have to love the irish.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:53:40 AM

Hands up and all say 'aye'

Aye!
 somel
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 12:35:18 PM
Hi everyone....

First everyone who comes here deal with you, share you're day to day lives only can say one thing to you as a people "aye".

Irish are by nature a warm and kind people with a great hospitality, a bit like us (i'm portuguese).

Sometimes Irish seems to others foreigners as racists, altough I believe this is not the case, I do think they have some anger (not hatre) for those that exploit irish economy, that come here basically for abuse the , now for those like me that come here to help Ireland, that pay their Prsi and Tax and give more to the irish economy that we receive, we feel welcomed and cared about, and is this kindness as a people that gives the proper value what makes you , for me, Special.

I felt in Love for you as a people, in a place i can call home....

Thanks Irish PPL.
 Nice2eatU
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:40:30 AM
[QUOTE]Saint Kevin who discovered North America and ended up establishing an Irish enclave in Nova Scotia - a part of the world where people still speak a form of Gaeilge and love their Irishness.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have your facts a bit mixed up about Saint Kevin discovering NA, I've never even heard of him.
Maybe you're mixing it up with Newfoundland, which is the most Irish place outside of Ireland. If you were to visit some of the rural towns and fishing villages, you'd swear you were in the Irish country side.
Nova Scotia(New Scotland) was founded by Sir William Alexander of Scotland, but it's been settled by the French, English, Scottish and Irish. Cape Breton Island is really the only place in Nova Scotia where they still teach Gaelic in schools , but there are a handful of small towns where some folks still speak it.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 3:52:28 PM
Actually St Brendan's supposed voyage preceded the Norse excursion by at least 400 years.
 beesinqueues
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/11/2009 2:11:02 PM
I love how you all know your history.
I am half Irish, my mom’s folks coming over to work on the NY railroad. The family did well, raised kids, put a state senator in Washington. Immigrants are absolutely the bedrock of America! And the Irish are all over this land.
When you're raised by drinking, dysfunctional people and, later, figure out what you really need in life to retain optimism & self-respect, then meet a beautiful Irishman who drags you back down into the ashes... well, that's where my comments about Irish Humor being vile were coming from.
I guess.
But, fact is, if one has to degrade someone else – on the personal level - to have fun, it’s no good. If one has to degrade ONESELF for humor it’s also no good! Let’s build up, not break down! (I feel I sound like a preacher.)
We all joke about “types” (blonde jokes, Texas A&M jokes, black jokes) because the characteristics really apply! everybody can relate! and the subjects of the jokes have chosen to be like that stereotype… But, please, the drunken Irishman shtick, for one, is just hurtful.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:48:07 AM
Average white male do not let the few influence your thoughts on ireland people. I have found them to be very hospitable when visiting ireland. Go to age gaps and you will see that it isn't only you they think they are superior to. It will give you a good laugh. Not engaging in debate doesn't mean you can't, it just means you didn't lower yourself to their level.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/12/2009 10:09:02 PM
Of course you are. That's whats so funny. I wouldn't want you any other way.
 SouthernGuy1960
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/13/2009 12:53:31 PM
A family member began a surname search and traced our family back to Ireland. Not sure how we ended up in South,Louisiana but I would like a vacation to Ireland someday. It would be great if I could meet someone with the same name and be related.I know I have family somewhere out there and always had a desire to meet them.
 stoowart
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2009 10:06:56 AM
Now i've heard all about this 'oirish art of courtship' many times...

Aaaaaah! Finally! and what a joy to see it in probably one of it's highest and most refined forms, ten out of ten grundy and average (where did the rest of the band go by the way? They were ok in the 70's i think)

I propose we all attend the wedding ceremony forthwith and without further ado so these lovebirds can get that knot tied asap and banter joyously forevermore in the privacy of the bridal bedroom....hopefully with the lights out

Honestly tho A man who knows how to hold a guitar really shouldn't show himselflup with a bad case of premature typulation like that it's just plain messy...sing to us baby, something with soul.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/15/2009 10:17:25 PM
I agree with you ms rebecca. Every time i go to ireland my family wonders if i'm comming back. Who knows Maybe next trip. I like the irish stew myself. Southernguy 1960 look up your surname in ireland. My family has family reunions every 3 years. of course they are called Clans over there. Are the irish unique. Of Course, what else would an irish person say. But when you get two clans together and add a little prussian. It gets very unique. And by all means go to ireland and have fun.

I can just see MalaSam googling again.
 stoowart
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2009 6:48:16 AM
Think before you type? Where's the spontaneity in that? huh? HUH? ^^

Meh! I spend a lot of time in an online browser based game as leader of a spammy bunch of spartan tribesmen and women who comm through a multi-topic forum page .

I quit trying to regulate them and their manners and spam levels on forums a long time ago, find it much easier to watch, laff and join in really :)

Also, with it being a global game (750k+ ppl worldwide) it's actually built into the rules not to flame people for 'ropey grammar' and spelling etc as long as they can get their idea across then it's tolerated.

Ahem, so ye, don't always get back in time to edit the smaller points on my posts or bother myself with some of the errors, and sometimes 'gor blimey!' I actually make deliberate ones for conversational tone and effect...
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/16/2009 9:36:21 AM
ok, Why did they make the banana green? Does it signify not being ripe? looks like a dancing pickle to me. hmm Maybe its an irish banana.
 Box_Turtle
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/16/2009 10:45:39 PM
perception. again!! a pickle? banana? cucumber? Whatever it is, it's a happy little bouncer. wonders why theres no leprechans? they could dance a jig.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Hands up and all say 'aye' if you are Irish and believe that means we are a unique race ..