Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > "The Wrestler"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 equalizure
Msg: 1
"The Wrestler"Page 1 of 1    
I have a friend in D.C. who saw it, and being a total non-fan of Professional Wrestling and an avid movie-goer, it was a bit interesting for her to proclaim that this was easily the best movie she has seen in at least a year and blew away "....Benjamin Button."

Considering some of the wayard descisions Mickey Rourke has made in his acting tenure, it is good to see him finally hit a home run in a decent role. I can't wait to see this movie.
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 2
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:42:21 PM
It sounds interesting to me, and I have watched wrestling off and on my whole life. Rourke looked too good in the pic I saw from the movie. Maybe he had some work done. The movie hasn't been released in my town and I'm sure our local reviewer will probably hate it. He's into artsy fartsy stuff.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 3
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:50:00 PM
Actually this movie is sort of ''artsy fartsy''. It is not so much about wrestling as it is about a washed up man who was once a huge star and well loved, trying to cope with getting old and not being in the limelight as he once was. ''Entertainment Weekly'' has done a few pieces on it and says it's one of the best of the year. Even Rourke in some interviews has said he made stupid choices with his career.

But if Robert Downey Jr, for all his troubles can come back and be great again, certainly Rourke can.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 5
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:52:46 PM
I first saw Rourke in that Kathleen Turner, William Hurt and Ted Danson movie.
Was that his debut ?
 Mr_SmartFun
Msg: 6
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:06:28 AM

I first saw Rourke in that Kathleen Turner, William Hurt and Ted Danson movie.
Was that his debut ?

That film was "Body Heat" and I believe it was. I saw "Body Heat" on a sneak preview just before it came out in 1981, and though at the time I wasn't crazy about the movie (over time I would like it more), I loved Rourke in it (he was only in 2 scenes). A few months later he would give one of the all-time coolest film performances as Boogie in "Diner".

I'll say this for "The Wrestler": there wasn't a moment in it that I didn't believe I wasn't watching someone who was a wrestler for over 20 years. You would think that speaks to Mickey's performance, and I'd like to say that's what it is, but the truth of the matter is that it speaks to Rourke's body more than anything else. Most actors simply do not look anything like a pro wrestler- I mean "real" actors, not action stars. But here was Rourke mixing in with the real deal, and it rang true. And thanks to whatever he's done to himself over the last 20 years (and I don't think it was all for the good). Let's put it this way:Slyvester Stallone at the same age wouldn't have looked the part.

I've always found Rourke a pretty dynamic performer, and think he has done solid work lately in stuff like 'Buffalo '66", "The Rainmaker", and "Sin City." Here he is so low key as to appear not be acting at all. I'm all for restraint, but when you have a firecracker like Mickey it's strange to get only one scene in the whole movie where he lets loose.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/28/2009 4:12:23 PM
I've wanted to see that film also. I actually worked with a guy who was a pro wrestler, and had destroyed his body. He still drinks and pops supplements in large doses, but he can barely get around. He's in really bad shape, but he said that he never regretted any of it.
 Ambientflyer
Msg: 8
The Wrestler
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:02:54 PM
This movie was amazing.... RAIDERFAN got it right though.. it's not really about wrestling.. its about a mans life. But it wasn't very artsy fartsy compared to the directors other works (THE FOUNTAIN, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, PI) Pretty straight forward and raw....

The wrestling federations are actually kind of against this movie and some have stated that... because it shows how the industry used up a lot of men and left them with nothing.. complete exploitation.

Great film.. a bit sad.. but wonderful! I agree.. possibly one of the best movies so far... this year
 Bry-Fidelity
Msg: 10
The Wrestler
Posted: 5/7/2009 4:32:37 AM
I finally saw this film and I was impressed! I've been a wrestling fan since a very young age but I definitely would have felt the same level of emotion I did even if I never had been a wrestling fan. I'm not a father but the performances between Rourke and Evan Rachel Wood were so raw and emotional that I almost cried multiple times and even after the movie I feel emotional about it. I don't know Rourkes early career well but I thought he was great in Sin City and in this film he is phenomenal. I love the parallels between wrestling careers and strippers careers and how in both you get thrown out like trash when you get to be a certain age. Marisa Tomei was great as well and I never found her to be an extremely attractive actress but in this and "Before The Devil Knows Your Dead" she is smoking hot! I'm looking forward to where her movie career goes from here on out! I would recommend this film to anyone and yes it definitely deserved the hype it got!
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 11
The Wrestler
Posted: 5/7/2009 7:51:39 AM
Was a good slant on wrestlers,made them look more normal,it was a good movie,all in all.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > "The Wrestler"