Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Last time you were told I Love you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 2
Last time you were told I Love you?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
My ex-wife said it every day for 17 years. She told me that right up until two days before she dumped me. It was a lie every time.

She has also has said it to me - many times in the last five years - since the divorce ....... also lies.

Now to her they are not lies. She loves EVERYONE.

Both of my step-daughters say it to me. They are now 28 & 30 ...... does that count? They are not related (blood wise).

To some - the word is special. To others it means no more than talking about the weather.
 jojoaus
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Last time you were told I Love you?
Posted: 1/2/2009 6:36:04 PM
10 years IS a long time... pretty much exactly how long i went between my marriage failing and hearing those words again. Plus when I was married...I dont think i heard them in the last half-dozen years together either!!
Feels pretty good when it happens OP!! Hope you hear them soon...
 tam879
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 7:24:34 PM
Just about 2 years ago I was told that in the heat of passion. I said, what? She didn`t said it again. To say "I Love You" to someone is very hard if your not sure you mean it. I thought I could say it but I never did.
 10of6
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/2/2009 7:44:46 PM
I heard it from my nephew a couple of days ago, but he's only 3 and doesn't know any better.
 yourstillhere
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:12:30 PM
Around a year ago and I didnt believe her since she pulled that stunt within only a few weeks of knowing each other.

I`d rather get no I love yous` than the fake I love you spun by someone living in fantasyland.
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:21:45 PM
Every time the Ex has a fight with his girlfriend!!

My FWB that I had until recently always told me he loved me....and I told him I loved him.....but we both knew it wasn't that great passionate love u till I die kinda love.
 haywiresue
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:05:44 PM
Interesting topic...........definitely one to make people think.

I am a woman who lives with few regrets, as I have relized that people who are important in our life, slip away and things we put off expressing also slip away and we sometimes never get to tell the people around us, how important they are in our life, or, how much we love them, or how happy they make us just by being in our lives. I have 2 experiences that became eye openers for me, and they both took place in the 1970's.

The first experience taught me to hold my tongue, and think before you speak, as the last thing I said to a friend of my first husband's, in a joking manner of course, was "drop dead". Sad part was that night he was hit by a car and died on impact. I didn't make the time on that day to tell this man that his friendship to my husband was appreciated and that I was only kidding. I have never told anyone that line again and I always try and end a conversation, email, msn with a positive ending, as we never know if that would be the last time we had an interaction with this person.

The next experience was when I attended a funeral for one of my school friends. That service really changed me, as he was the first of people in my age group to die. This man lived an alternate life style and was in the first groups of gay men to die from the newly identified disease known as AIDS. Once again I realized just how fragile we are as humans and death comes at its own will and is not a scheduled appointment. This funeral was also an eye opener as it was the first time a funeral was a celebration of the persons life and not a dreary mournful event. At this funeral we cried for his passing as it was premateur, we found out how caring and giving this man was, as he was very kind and generous to not only his church, but to charities and others in need of help. We met his life partner who was also afflicted with AIDS and learned a great deal about things in their life that time got in the way of and talked about missed opportunities of spending time together.

It was from those 2 experiences that I decided to not let anything stand between me and my feelings for the people in my life. To my children I tell them every time we talk that I love them. I end every long distance telephone conversation to my family with "Take care and know I love you". I tell the people around me when they do something special for me by letting them know I appreciate their gesture, this includes strangers who do random acts of kindness. I tell my friends just how special they are in my life. My inner circle of friends are often told that I love them, because I want them to know that. I have always believed that we change the world one person at a time, so if I can show the people close to me just how much they mean to me, then perhaps they will "pay it forward". This goes for hugs..........the one gift that fits all.

Now from family and friends, I am often told that I am loved. However, being single since 2006 means that I have not heard that from a significant other, but I hope one day, when Mr Right For Me enters my life and the feelings are mutual, I will hear this again.........................

I think it is equally important to point out that many men show their feelings for a woman by their actions, rather than saying "I Love You". This makes my heart melt, as I love the look a man who cares about gives me when I walk into the room, or when he has done something nice for me and I tell him how much I appreciate him, or when he does something like open a car door, take me out, or when I tell him how much I appreciate things he has done that might have appeared to go unnoticed, like when he makes doing something with or for me a priority.
 traci1966
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:16:33 PM

I am not so sure that love really even exists or if it ever really, truly did. I am at the point where someone tells me they love me, I pretty much take it with a grain of salt. - Sad to say, but true.

yes, it is sad to say...but VERY true! It's been a few years since I've heard those words from a SO...however considering the fact that the last time I heard them was when my ex was leaving to meet the girl he'd been cheating with for 2 of the 4 years we were together and it just so happened that it was the night I found out about her...I totally agree with the "I am not so sure that love really even exists" statement!

Sad to say, but true!
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:28:38 PM

I totally agree with the "I am not so sure that love really even exists" statement!

Love does exist and I think there are different levels... The love I feel for my family is different than the love I feel for my friends and the love I feel for a SO is much more different than friends and family.

The I Love You from my g-baby is probably the most precious...

Oh - and the last time I heard "I love you" from someone other than la familia or friends - Today. But I'm hesitant to say it's love or in love or just would love to love you...hahahaha

Zephyr2553
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/2/2009 10:15:10 PM
There are so many different kinds of love. I love myself, but don't think I'm anyone special. My kids and their spouses and my grandkids and my mom and dad say they love me and that fills a big gap and makes me feel fulfilled.

There is still an empty place at the table for MY someone who is just as crazy as me and just as creative and imaginative and smart and dedicated...its been a long time since someone like that said, "I love you" and looked into my eyes when they said it and meant it from their deepest being.

I think everyone is looking for love. I have found that even if I don't find what I'm hoping for in another person, I will still be happy and content. I'll still be able to laugh myself to tears over something funny and dance with joy when life throws me a total surprise.

Its something that has come with acceptance and struggling with life and raising kids and grandkids...just living.

I can be hot and sexy and earthy and utile. It's all me. But it has been a while since someone "got" me and wanted that. I hope to meet someone like that again.
 platypus_man
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:13:28 AM
Hey, SWSpice, just keep things in perspective. For me, it's 11 years. And I'm sure there are others that have gone without for longer. No matter how bad we think things are, someone else has it worse. Life goes on.
 mcbobly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 12:34:50 AM

It hit me kind of hard that it has been over 10 years since I've had an unrelated (i.e. family) man say that to me.

Well I don't want a non family man to tell me that, but it has been too many years since I have heard those words spoken to me with sincerity. And looks as though it might well be a few more years before I hear them spoken that way again too, bummer.
 OhioIrr
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 1:53:08 AM
It has been a long time since I have heard those words spoken to me from someone not in my family. The last time I said it was 5 years ago...
 Onceuponatime61
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/3/2009 8:58:14 AM
Hey 2 of the hottest women on the planet told me they loved me last night on the phone. My Mom always tells me she loves me on the phone and I always tell her that too. An then my long time female friend, we say "love ya" before hanging up too.
Yeah I'd say 10 years is a long time.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 6:22:07 PM
Way too long. But I'm still hopeful.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/4/2009 7:30:38 AM
I can look in the mirror, gaze deeply into my own eyes and say with all sincerity, "I love you!"

I think thats narcisism.....but not really. How can you love someone else if you can't love yourself first?

If you love yourself you can drop about 2/3 of the baggage most people carry into a relationship.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/4/2009 7:55:34 AM

I was watching a movie tonight and during the dating period he told her "I Love You." It hit me kind of hard that it has been over 10 years since I've had an unrelated (i.e. family) man say that to me.

Hmmm . . . I don't know which is worse: not hearing "I love you" and wanting to hear it, or having someone whom you don't love say it to you.

There has not been a void in my life, as yet, of hearing someone outside my family telling me that he loves me. That doesn't mean that I am inundated with men telling me that, but rather, up to this point, it hasn't bothered me.

However, I dated a man last year who, on first having sex, said, "I love you." I responded, "No, you don't." We "argued" about it for about five minutes, then he said, "OK, I adore you."

I can handle adoration.

For three months, he told me that he loved me, and I never reciprocated because I didn't love him. When I broke it off, I asked if he had noticed my omission. He said, "Yes, but that is just because you are incapable of telling people that you love them." (He was a psychologist.)

No, it just means that those words are reserved for people whom I truly love.

I would rather wait and hear "I love you" from a man who truly does love me and whom I love. I am willing to spend that time waiting.

Edit:
And then again, Byron wrote:
"Man's love is of man's life a thing apart,
'Tis woman's whole existence."

Byron lived in a different world and had the romantic's view of life and the universe; times have changed.
 OutMind
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:07:23 AM
Everything is relative. Someone said that to me only a few days ago. And now we are having huge fights. Hmmm. Go figure.
 10of6
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/4/2009 8:31:28 AM
10 of 6...I will love you.

OBA! Not bad for just a few days into 2009. Thanks, Tracy91007!
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:16:51 AM
Had it said?
All the freaking time.

Had it mean something and actually believed the man meant it?

New Year's Eve last year. Reunited (total accident) with a lover from 8 years before, the entire thing was surreal, but tangibly incredible. He spent the entire night (and part of the next day) telling me and showing me that he loved me.

That sort of love, I'd walk across molten lava for ten years to have again. Beyond words the feel of it.

It was nice, while it lasted. And ya da ya da ya da to those who say if it was love it doesn't end.

Ya, you're right. It was and is love, but that still doesn't make it a long term relationship and those things happening simultaneously would be the best answer. It just doesn't always happen that way. Get real.
 hard starboard
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:41:12 AM
It's been over 4 years... probably a little longer in which I actually believed it. But it's comforting to hear that you can go at least 10 years without it being fatal.
 fancynanci
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2009 9:20:24 PM
Daily - by my children. By a man I love? A year.
 ernstt
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/5/2009 11:43:33 PM
let me see, the last time i was told i love you, i would say that was yesterday when i said it to myself
 Popcorn included
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/6/2009 11:44:38 AM
Men and Women use the word in dating (I love you) with in just a Day of dating or a few weeks, months. It is over used in the relationship, Because it is not Meant in the right context. When we get married We tell are partners how much we love them knowing it will last for ever, but when it dose not. The word [lost its value]. I tell many people, children, my kids that I love them every day but I truly mean it with all my soul, I am here no matter what they have to go through, I hold them in my arms when they get hurt, or lose a job, when they fail a exam for college or when they are sick. The word (I LOVE YOU). is to be told to a person that you adore, you care more for then yourself needs.

However a man the first time he has sex with a women, falls madly in love with her for the closeness brings his soul to say, [ I LOVE YOU], as the women it takes time, to see if the man is going to stay around. The man expects to be told it every few hours of the day very needy, but the women only 'says it when she truly means it' For ME! I do not say it or will not be forced into telling you that "I love you" unless I mean it.

I however have been told that a man loves me but hear me out! If a man loved me so much and this word is meant to be a lasting for ever. I love you for ever! THEN WHY AM I SINGLE AT 46YRS OLD?????????????

Then that tells me, it has been over 32yrs since someone has told me they loved me and still never meant it..... 42YRS OF BEING TOLD [I LOVE YOU] AND IF THEY DID LOVE ME THAT MUCH, THEN WHY ARE THEY NOT IN MY ARMS EVERY NIGHT BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP, AND EVERY MORNING WHEN I WAKE UP??????????

Because, the words..... {I LOVE YOU} HAVE LOST THERE VALUE!
 Ms_Lookn4fun
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/8/2009 8:10:31 PM
tonight, several times by my guy
11 months together this weekend and I did not meet him on POF, I was actually out dancing with my friends at a local bar (Missouri) and he was dancing alone all night long.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Last time you were told I Love you?