Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Birth Orders - Oldest, Youngest or Middle Child?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 You go first
Msg: 1
Birth Orders - Oldest, Youngest or Middle Child?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I work in an office of 12 women, all either the oldest or only child in their families. We are all really detail-oriented and classic "Type A" personalities. Mercifully, we get along well in our work environment.

When I was married, we were both Oldest children. Our closest friends are also couples made up of Oldest children. I wonder if Birth Order has any bearing on work or personal relationship.

The Oldest child is stereotypically the more rigid, ambitious and responsible child.
The Middle child is stereotypically the most vocal, dramatic and troubled.
The Youngest child is stereotypically the 'spoiled' one, the 'baby' of the family who gets whatever they want.

What is your Birth Order, and do you feel this affects your work or personal relationship? What other adjectives would you use to describe the Oldest/Youngest or Middle child from your experiences?
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 2
Birth Orders - Oldest, Youngest or Middle Child?
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:38:49 PM
I'm an only child. :)

Yes, it definitely affects my relationships.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:40:18 PM
I am screwed up when it comes to this whole Birth Order business.

I was an only child for 8 years....then my parents adopted an older sister...and my mother had a baby brother...within a 4 month period I became a middle child.

Soooooooo.... I am confused.....then... 5 years after that.. I found out that I was adopted.

Sooooooo you tell me....where do I fit in?
Makes me want to I kid you not!
 Xavery
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:46:54 PM
^You are the oldest child at least according to theory - gaps of more than 4 years do not count. It is also relevant if there are several children in a family if you are the oldest female or male. I am the oldest child period in my family, but I think my brother may be more rigid than me, but who knows.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2009 11:40:04 PM
I am the youngest of my mom and dad's 3..... and am in the middle when you add dad's younger 3 to the mix.
I definitely fit the middle child stereotype.

My bf is the baby of four..and sorry babe....he fits smack into the youngest child category.
 samadongshi2
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/3/2009 10:51:17 AM
when reading books about this subject matter i think what the authors state it pertains to your own immediate sibling group that you and your siblings share the same set of biological parents and does not account for blended families. Many may dispute this as when this birth order phenomena did not take into consideration of blended families as it is attributed within psycho social parameters.

Ok, to answer the question... I'm the y0ungest of both sets... between my brother and I and the youngest of all 4 of us.
Yes, I'm spoilt rotten to the core and freely admit to it. Do I take advantage of it ?? at times yes ... then again my siblings think I'm immature and don't have a brain in my head.
 Just 4 You
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:27:12 PM
I'm the middle child, which as you said it the most vocal, dramatic and troubled. My older brother's girlfriend thought my younger brother was so cute, so the two always hung out together.

When my Older brother got Married, my Younger brother was his Best Man, and vice versa when my Younger brother got married, while I was told to just stay out of the way.

As for me and relationships.... I'm on POF looking and hoping.
 spring_babe
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:10:10 PM
Well my parents were busy people ....I am #8 of 16.....12 girls and 4 boys......and yes same parents....and yes RC french/irish....
 Oo~Mikey~oO
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 8:05:31 PM
My sister is 25
I am 19
my brother is 16

I found out a couple years ago that my sister was an accident, my brother was a surprise and I was the only "planned" child in the family. However I always had the feeling growing up that I was never treated fairly.

My sister being the oldest was mostly independent and it seemed like she always got away with more. Being 5 and a half years ahead of me I felt tried to mature faster, too prove that I too can earn the same responsibilities that she had.

Being in the middle of a 9 year gab between eldest and youngest siblings there was always an ovbious degree of seperation. It was rare to find an activity that we could all enjoy togeather, and at times can be more isolating then being an only child.

I always wanted a twin...maybe thats why Im a gemini?
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2009 10:32:22 PM
I was the youngest of three, dad had 3 more so I became a middle child.
Being the youngest of the first I was no more spoiled than anyone else.
My oldest brother fits the oldest child stereotype to a "T", as does my 'middle' brother.

I don't fit any stereotype I don't think...I'm just me :)
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/23/2009 8:16:36 PM
Youngest....the most spoiled...and the one that got away with everything

Mon Cherie
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/23/2010 8:00:12 AM

When you are kid your perception of love, and how you perceive love is shaped by your parents and your siblings.
We want to dramatically improve our matching system by taking into account your childhood environment, Please enter the following..

Looks like POF thinks it affects how we are in relationships too. The above is new.

What ya all think?
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/23/2010 8:47:14 AM

Find me a SINGLE research study that says income doesn't matter. There are thousands of research stuides on the matter and its hands down one of the most powerful factors in predicting relationships. If you grow up as a only child you behave dramatically different than someone who grew up is the 4th of 6 childern. If your parents are divorced you have different attitudes on live etc etc etc. It all makes a difference.

Quite the reasoning for questions that someone decides are soooooooooooo "important" in finding a partner to be involved in a "relationship". Bizarre, actually.Somehow,,,somewhere,,,,someone got fed a line that "succesful" relationships are based on a cookie cutter image of what is included in our lives in the past,present and future.

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!! It's not what has happened in our past,,,,it's how and what we do with it that makes us who were are today. Were the hell do these people get these ideas that people generically fall into a cookie cutter image?????????
 smartypants24
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/23/2010 12:12:37 PM
I think the new feature is ridiculous...and hope that we don't eventually get forced into answering (as with the income feature). Sure birth order SOMETIMES influences SOME behaviors...but its not set in stone, and there are SO MANY other factors as to almost make the point moot.

I'll be ignoring it...I don't need random algorithms deciding who I can/should or can't/shouldn't date. I can do that all on my own
 Outdoor2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2010 10:54:35 PM

We want to dramatically improve our matching system by taking into account your childhood environment, Please enter the following.

Bullsh1t of the highest order!
The companies that pay him when you click on their ads are narrowing the parameters so to target individual profiles that will likely click on the ads when they log in.

Custom tailored ads for each individual is not the end target...the vast amounts of data mining that can be sold to a plethora of corporations and governments worldwide is....

OT: Youngest child of three...when they were old enough to do the dinner dishes, they refused unless I participated....a stool was built so I could reach the sink. Water fights and A.M. radio....good times!!!
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/24/2010 2:44:36 PM
If it weren't mandatory or used automatically, I would probably enter "only child" on my profile and ignore the question about parents. I do notice I get along more easily with other only children, although I'd never make it a rule of any sort.

However, since I still refuse to enter my income and still can't edit anything in my profile, it's irrelevant.

It's doubly irrelevant since the sheer stupidity of recent changes has totally removed any lingering temptation I might have had to think the Big Fish actually knows what he's doing. When his "match improving" efforts finally remove 90% of available women in my area and leave only 10% who are totally wrong for me, I suppose that'll finally be the time to leave POF entirely. Already gave up on the forums...
 *Imperfection*
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/24/2010 8:48:19 PM
Its a ridiculous add-on.

But really, I cant believe what a big kerfuffle people are making it out to be.
I just dont bother with it.
 *Rock*
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/24/2010 9:29:35 PM
I looked at it, thought about it for a mere second, shook my head, and then determined it was just another example of humans being treated as a dollar sign, trying to cleverly squeeze still another mighty buck out of the ordinary people, geez, hasn't the greedy of the world milked us enough already?......whats next on the survey, how many pieces of toilet paper a couple will use on their dates?, stay tuned for more...
 Ed Bear
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2010 1:16:00 PM
I'm still unquiet that we are forced to list our astrological sign!

Sure, income and birth-order theory are potentially useful tools, but they're broad brushes that only serve "average" people - and how many of us are that? If most relationships have higher-earning males, but most relationships break up anyway, and why give up the few that might work?

This is right up there with judging people by color, height or whatever. Sure, you can use them, but this birth-order and income stuff is adminsitered BY THE SYSTEM, and we can't choose to ignore it.

That sucks.
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Birth Orders - Oldest, Youngest or Middle Child?