Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL) may be a poor choice for lighting      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tornado1
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL) may be a poor choice for lightingPage 1 of 1    
I don't know much about CFL lightbulbs as opposed to any other kind, but I do know about SAD lights. My SAD lamp has been a life-saver for me. Without it, every winter I would sink into a deep depression, but since I got my lamp about 15 years ago, it has made winter in Vancouver bearable for me.

I copied the following from the linc Mountain Lion provided: "Light therapy treatment of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) usually involves regulated exposure to a white light source, commonly 10,000 lux at the eye for 30 minutes per day (Partonen and Lönnqvist, 1998). " I have no idea whether SAD lamps are considered CFL , but I don't think so and this article did nothing to clear up my confusion.

I suspect we are talking about two different things. As far as I know, my lamp emits no UV rays.
 Cozy_Spirit
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL) may be a poor choice for lighting
Posted: 1/19/2009 5:14:37 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I've swapped out numerous burnt out incandescents with the new CFL's, and although they say they will last upwards of 7 years, I don't think any of them have lasted any longer than normal incandescents. This is definately not cost effective at about 4-6 bucks a bulb, as compared to $2.49 for a 4pack of 60 watt bulbs. And then.. the health issues that are coming up.... and having to take them somewhere special for recycling, etc. I think I'll be stocking up on incandescents over the next few years.
As for the poster who is burning candles.. there was word on the street a few years ago that the candle wicks had lead in them, depending on where they were manufactured.
 4x4+geek
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 6:41:04 PM
How much more energy and oil, in the form of plastic, goes into making a CFL?

How much more dirty coal-generated power (than than hydro or gas generated) is used, by manufacturing in China, than if the bulbs were made in North America?

Haw much dirty Bunker C is burned shipping the heavy bulbs to our shores?

How much more relatively volatile and poisonous Mercury is released into the environment than benign tungsten and steel when a CFL is disposed vs. an incandescent bulb. If we spent much to make one, how much longer would an incandescent bulb last?

How much more energy is used manufacturing the Copper-wound ballasts integrated into CFLs? Why aren’t the ballasts and bulbs separable in most cases (they are in some) so that the ballast (base) can be reused when the bulb quits?

How much fuel and energy will be wasted recycling plastic bulbs; because glass-and -metal incandescent bulbs don’t need to be recycled for the little bit of relatively inert waste they produce?

Why do promoters discount the beneficial heating effect of incandescent bulbs? During the winter in Canada, when residential lighting is most used, the energy that is supposedly “Wasted,” by incandescent lighting actually assists in heating the home. It can be argued then, that incandescent lighting is 100% efficient and CFL bulbs are no more efficient than Incandescent ones. Furthermore, because the manufacture and supply of CFL lighting is more wasteful and toxic, Incandescent lighting is likely less environmentally damaging than CFL lighting.

LED “bulbs” might compare more favourably when they finally become cost effective, but that needs to be properly examined.

I think it’s about time this subject was properly illuminated.
 Cozy_Spirit
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 10:13:56 PM
Even LED's have their problems. I had 2 sets of outdoor xmas lights where half the strand died, and they are only a couple of years old. You can't replace the led bulb in these sets of lights. The old outdoor incandescent Christmas strands were so much easier to deal with. A bulb burnt out.. you replaced that one bulb. Then the mini lights started to be manufactured, and if one burnt out, and if you were lucky to have the right type of strand, you could replace the one bulb. If you got the other type.. you had to either use a tester, or test each individual bulb on a working strand of lights.
I know it takes more electrical energy to power incandescents, but they take less human energy to purchase, replace and fix. :)
 4x4+geek
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2009 5:21:16 PM
^^ 18 interesting link.
I think a lighting system with near-zero power consumption was developed in the last century by British engineers; My car was so-equipped. Of course, to the naked eye, it appeared the lights were either off, or nearly off, but I just assured my passengers the car was operating in the "Economy Stealth Mode" that was a common feature of fine British "Lucas-equipped" automobiles. B-)
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL) may be a poor choice for lighting