Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proposed UK email database - a reasonable measure?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cargy.
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Proposed UK email database - a reasonable measure?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

Weren't we told that anti-terror laws would only be used against terror suspects? Turns out, they were used against people who didn't re-cycle properly

Information is power, and terrorism has provided a great excuse for the powers that be to accumulate far more than ever before.

ZG mentions the Nazis and, as a purely personal opinion, I've always felt that the 2004 Terrorism Act bears more than a passing resemblance to Hitler's Enabling Act in a large number of places.
 Cargy.
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Proposed UK email database - a reasonable measure?
Posted: 1/9/2009 6:19:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about them losing it, they openly sell your DVLA data for £2.50 a throw to anyone who claims a semi-plausible reason for wanting it.

Some companies have direct, unsupervised, computer access to the database for a set fee and a small charge for each item they access.

(That's how private parking companies know where to send their harassing letters)
 Cargy.
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 8:15:43 AM

if you are doing nothing wrong what have you got to be bothered about?

...and in an ideal world, that would be true.... sadly we're in something more dystopian than that.

Like I said earlier; information is power
 Cargy.
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 9:46:05 AM
For comparison; would you be happy to know that all your normal mail had been opened and read by a "government operative" before it was passed on to you?

Would you be happy if they kept a photocopy of it in their files for an indeterminate period?

I know I wouldn't. And I know I wouldn't trust them to dispose of it regardless of what their "guidelines" or "Codes of Practice" might say

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes!
 oggers
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 10:36:51 AM
I dont see it as a problem, really .... yea right...

This government is intent on electronic / remote surveilance of its subjects for all things from speeding to anti terrorism to shopping habits .... at the expense of real policemen etc.

At the end of the day, they will have not enough manpower to even touch 0.01% of e-mail content that is generated in this country, and most will go unnoticed. Just like they automatically monitor telephone conversations NOW with computers set up to detect certain key words ( the one that always sticks in my mind is Amnesty International - ironic really, as this is a peaceful organisation , hardly subversive terrorists ...! Mention Amnesty enough in one conversation and GCHQ is onto you ... )

It will be the same with mails ....... set to monitor certain word useages I guess ( but I'm no expert obviously !)

sneaky fascist police state **stards ........ what we need is REVOLUTION !!!!!!!!!!!
 try1more
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2009 10:43:53 PM
erm is this anything new?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

i dont think so!
another

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/process/echelon.htm

just google echelon for more.
 Warrencraig
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 12:19:26 AM
If they actually effectively enforced the laws they already had, they would find there is little need for these new antiprivacy laws.

Wont be long before we all where tags under some public safety bullsh*t. Im sure they will justify it by fitting a panick button or saying its to help find lost people, old people, lost kids or injured people.

Wont be long then till we wear a necklace that monitors breathing so they can tax us for that too

Warrencraig
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 1:42:02 AM
Those petitions are useless and change nothing. Just gives the powers at be a list of names to arrest when speaking out against the system becomes illegal

Wonder how long till the UK starts imprisoning/murdering clever people or anyone who challenges authority?? Polpot style piles of glasses and laptops in the country side!!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proposed UK email database - a reasonable measure?