Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Body Shapers, Pushup Bras, Tummy Tammers - Lying or looking good?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 catkin2007
Msg: 19
Body Shapers, Pushup Bras, Tummy Tammers - Lying or looking good?Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
OP, I can see the validity of that question. Personally, I feel like that is deception. I may not have a perfect body anymore, I do have my mental faculties. I like who I am and I also like my body, flaws and all. So its not popular, I'm not trying to win a popularity contest. I want someone to like me for who I am, not who the body shapers, pushup bras and tummy tammers make me out to be. Reality is, this is me... I love me... who cares if not everyone likes me... I don't.

Those things are too expensive, give a false sense of confidence and destroys the images of real women.
 i like cats
Msg: 23
Body Shapers, Pushup Bras, Tummy Tammers - Lying or looking good?
Posted: 1/12/2009 7:53:21 PM
Can't imagine trying any of them.

Zero interest.
 WokkaWokka
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/13/2009 2:41:03 AM
false advertising..................................................................................................................
 phishkev
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2009 8:32:29 AM
My ex always said this and it holds true, as said-what happens when it all comes off? Then what? Shock and jaw? Ha!!
 Eir
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/13/2009 6:26:50 PM
BEHOLD! We've now 'uncovered' the reason that people think they need to wear these things.....good god man. Sounds more like a post-mortem.....

Perhaps I'm just uncharacteristically-attentive for my gender, but I scrutinize the opposite sex constantly - any woman I meet is scanned from head to toe, from the slenderness of her ankles up to the coif of her hair. I breathe it all in while making acute mental notes of each imperfection/suspect area I come across. All this gets tallied up in my 5 second cursory inspection of her physique.

Anyhoo, all these shaper things are good if they make you feel more confident in how you look in an outfit....I've tried them in the past and they sometimes remind me of trying to put toothpaste back in its tube or a sleeping bag back in it's carry-bag. However I love corsets, simply for how they look.

I don't think anyone is intending to 'fool' someone with a push-up bra, etc. And despite what some ads might say, a shaper isn't going to take you down 4 sizes. It just doesn't, it's fabric. You aren't going to take it off and go from looking like Heidi Klum to Mrs.Doubtfire.

Whichever way you see it, I think it's just another thing that people use to feel and look good at times. Makeup, hairstyles, shaving your legs, manicures, using deodorant, whitening your teeth......etc. Do what makes you happy.

Hmm what about guys that are losing their hair and decide to shave their heads? Is that lying? Same kinda thing......I mean you can TELL where their hairline really ends....just like you can tell where my waist ends and my hips begin......and yet hey, still looks good to me!
 Eir
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/13/2009 10:30:12 PM
Ah Tiger, I think your 'Piece #2' is just as oddly clinical as the first, I simply don't want to quote someone's entire post. Not 'conveniently omitted' at all.

I definitely respect someone who makes use of proper spelling and grammar, but you seem rather cold and formal about the whole thing...why would you want to make 'acute mental notes of each imperfection/suspect area' of any woman you meet? I hope you see the positive attributes as well as the negative!

You look like someone who cares about how they look and dress, how the suit fits, how to best show your athletic physique, etc., so why can't someone else want to look their best by detracting attention from a perceived problem area without being thought of as insecure?

Thank you for assessing my query as astute. I wasn't referring to your 'do, by the way, it was just a common example I could think of at the time. Personally, I like the look, whether it's because a guy doesn't want to have that 'in between look' or just because they like it. Toupee.......possibly a deception if it's a REALLY good one. A comb-over though.....are we talking just a regular 'take it from the side and put it on the top' style, or brushing over your ear hair to meet in the middle at the top of your head? Perhaps in a jaunty ponytail......because that would be fascinating, albeit not very deceitful, just plain odd.

At any rate (sorry OP, didn't mean to rant o/t on your post), we ALL use and do things to feel and look nice. And I don't think many people really believe that they're deceiving anyone by wearing pantyhose or mascara or growing a beard or putting lifts on their shoes. I think most people realize that bright red lips on a woman (while usually a nice look when done right) are about as real as Pamela Anderson's boobs. Now if I was to try to convince someone that it was my real lip colour....that would be lying. And not very bright. And I would hope that when I wear a corset for 'show', people also don't assume my boobs naturally cushion my chin. Or at least I hope not. Eep.

Take MY profile photo for example (or anyone's, really). The one I'm using now, I don't have makeup on, therefore I guess you could say I'm being 'honest' in my appearance. BUT it also happens to be on a good camera angle for me.....is that deceitful or lying? That's why I put more than one pic up, because unless you see me in person, pictures are the only thing to look at, and it's really hard to get an idea of what a person 'really' looks like.

Has anyone actually ever met someone who looks REALLY drastically different without makeup or a butt-lifting pair of undies or if they put glasses on instead of contacts? Because I think that would indicate someone was going way too over the top. I think the majority of us probably just look a bit more polished when we brush our hair....
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/13/2009 11:39:26 PM
99%corsets today are not body shapers. They are just pretty pieces of night time clothing.
now the above listed, i have read Jesicca Alba loves the Spanx, Paris Hilton those bras tha give you boobies when you don't have any I CAN GO ON AND ON ect..........
So judge yet be judged????? Who is to say. when mother nature calls and i am bloated, i don't mind granny undies (tummy tamers) water retention.
 beerbag
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:21:09 AM
false advertising.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/14/2009 9:38:52 AM
~OP~ We live in a world of suck/pluck/tuck/insert/delete/air brush/enhance/extend/plug and generally be an "outter" shell to some degree. Do I agree it's all necessary? NOPE. My one indulgence? Expensive/uplifting bras. Years ago a wise MD told my mother that good quality uplifting bras would keep me from sagging later in life (thank GOD my mother listened!!) Do I wear make-up? The older you get, the reality is: less is MORE. So my make-up regime is simple: if it takes longer than 5 minutes, you're wearing too much. I no longer color my hair, I no longer get nails done and I certainly don't wear tummy tuckers or booty enhancers. Why is this? I know where the gym is and I know to drive by McDonalds rather than pull in the drive through. We need to get rather "real" at some point and I personally simply lost interest in the whole primping routine. If you find those things fake or unappealing, don't pay attention to them. Personally ~ I'd much rather render a little "truth in advertising" from the beginning. If something happens like a "relationship" you start stripping all that stuff off and things are gonna implode/explode and fall all over the place. Now that would be embarrassing. Whatever works for you is all that matters. JMO
 ron62449
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/14/2009 11:02:46 AM
Truth in advertising! This goes for women AND men. A real 33B is sexier than a 38D that is fake. ETC.

Ron
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:46:13 PM
I think whatever makes a person feel good about him/herself is perfectly acceptable.

I wear pretty underwear and makeup and choose clothes that suit my body type because I like to enhance what I have and look the best I can. I'm not doing it to trap some poor, completely innocent man into marrying me and supporting me and being my love slave, I want a man to appreciate my looks but to marry me, pay HALF OUR bills and be my love slave because I'm a terrific person, treat him well and am great in bed. :-o

Nutt
 SueCat51
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:47:27 PM
I live by the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) fashioned world. I don't believe in these expensive "body enhancers". After all, at some point, when you get naked, it's SHOW TIME!!! If a man is really "into me", he's gonna love me for every bump, wrinkle, gray hair, and all of the other stuff that goes along with being a human being. Let's face it ladies - men love women that are confident in themselves to just let it "go" and get naked, while having fun!
 Eir
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:01:06 PM
A lot of petite women wear them too (hence why anytime I've seen them, they have them in extra small sizes).
The shapers have more of a smoothing effect and make your clothes hang nicely and not cling, so it's not really trying to look smaller per se.

I tried some control top pantyhose once with the illusion of sucking in my gutt...after 2 hours of contortions, yoga moves, and resistance training, they were on. I'd lost 20 pounds just getting them on however and they were too loose. :P
 gtomustang
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:08:11 PM
Sheesh, katsussex, with a face that beautiful, like you need any assistance getting a bloke's attention?

I used to know a petite lass who did the waterbra thing. The first time I met her, she got my attention, sure. I can only imagine what it was like for her bf, to see her in public, and then go home to....well, the thing is, she wasn't really badly endowed at all. I saw her a year later, and she had ditched it--cold New York winters made strapping a cold water bra to her bossom every morning a silly practice--plus it got the wrong attention from her neighbors.

the second time I saw her, it was July summer, and when she bent over to fetch her 'phone, I got to see she had no bra on under her tank top...so, trust me, she was in perfect scale to her figure, and never needed the damn body enhancement. Her personality more than made up for any "lack".

But, hey, its one man's opinion. If a lady doesn't intend to date me, then what does it matter what she chooses to wear? I'm not going to find out the lie until she stops wearing it--which does happen, if we end up being more than strangers (ie, acqaintances). But, women feel comfortable around me, so we just chuckle about it and move on. Is that really a lie?
 dub08
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:38:10 AM
Msg 60 - I agree with you!

Im heading out on Sat night and shall have my Spanx on because my dress sits better with it on. Im 5.2 so will have my heels on and my make up and getting my hair done!! Vanity or deceit? Who cares??? I will feel fab and thats all that matters!
 phishkev
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:55:42 AM
Exactly, interludesolo-all this foolish crap means nothing in the long run-why even bother with Hollywood, pop music, etc-all it does is make one dance to the tune of a Pied Piper with nothing on its mind except to CONSUME and LISTEN! I like movies and music with SUBSTANCE ( not dubbed, dance moves created by the lates robots in the music industry or movies that claim to be the "Feel great hit of whatever season.") If that makes me old, so be it. A person who can actually PLAY an instrument gets kudos over the latest flavor who can lip or mime their latest "smash" written by 2 dozen no names..
 Wombat59
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 1:42:15 PM
I once bought a pair of control pants to flatten my tummy - and when i put it on all i got was a spare tyre - believe me - you push it in one place - its gonna come out somewhere else! Now - I'm almost comfortable with my body after losing 2 stone and ive still got my 'baby' tummy - but hey - it's who I am!
 outdrsgal
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 2:49:26 PM
This one is a fun forum.

Women go through a lot to look good, and mostly for themselves; to feel good. For us to feel good, we look good (it's a cycle here). Why do we wear sexy, lacy undergarments even when we think no one would see them? I won't do that for a man, I can imagine his disappointment.

Mascara and foundation are what I wear when I want to dress up. Eye shadows and blush on are for special occasions. I do color my hair, however.

If they can't handle me now, then oh, well.
 MrPlatonic
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/15/2009 6:54:03 PM
I think these things fall under the category of humanity's ongoing pursuit of youth and beauty. They are not the most convenient of augmentations, but neither is plastic surgery.

I personally favor regular exercise (preferably outdoors), a balanced diet, and acceptance of the fact that you only have the true body of an 18-year-old once in your life.
 gtomustang
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/16/2009 9:34:15 AM
"any man who thinks it's cheating when a women likes to be feminine wearing, heels, tasteful makeup, smelling nice (not cheap perfume), loves long luxurious baths with nice bath oil, dressing nice ..."

>>>I'm not sure how pampering yourself, is the same as uncomfortably pushing up your b00bs. Or does the heels refer to changing one's height? but I think interludesolo agrees?

"I do agree that things like Body Shapers etc. is a little excessive..."

"So a man spending hours and hours in a gym trying to get the 6 pack on his ordinary body and then proudly trying to display it at every given opportunity is not deceptive! "

>>>well, if he has it to show off...then its not deceptive. Its actually there. Now, a person can show off whatever they want, I just wish for them they have a positive attitude about their body, and be happy with what they have--unless its unhealthy, of course.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/16/2009 3:32:02 PM
Lying.. a little.. AND looking good.

We've all got imperfections and generally, we're harder on ourselves about them than others would be on us, so sometimes the pointlessness in using all these garments becomes obvious to someone pretty quick.

Screw it though, even if no one else beyond ourselves feels better about how we look, that's still something good.
 comed
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:07:26 PM
Like the up session with pic with profile it seem like obsession with visual impressions.

remembering when we sat at the relationship table it's all about transparency.

so why do we deceive each other, the truth will come out eventually and some one will get hurt.

remember there is someone out there for everyone honesty is the best
if.policy, be yourself it's better for someone to like you for who you really are that who they think you are.

We all have to stripe to the bare truth at some stage.

there should be a law against woman and men who use any aid to disguise their appearance it's called deception ah ah
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/17/2009 8:20:50 AM
Load of crap, Tiger. For several years, I cut out junk food and sweets, went to the gym every day, walked up and down the 6 flights of stairs at my workplace morning and afternoon coffee breaks, did pilates and belly dancing class once a week and practice at home. I continued to gain sizes throughout that whole time. Exercise is NOT the answer for every person, and I am living proof!

There may be a few people in this world who are actually using these contraptions to give a false impression. But for the most part, WE just want to be happy with OURSELVES when we look in the mirror--the fun of trying out different things, whether makeup or clothing and the enjoyment of feeling attractive shouldn't require someone else's permission. Those men who think women are changing themselves to trap them need a little reality and ego check.

Instead of complaining about appearance, why don't you take a good look at the personalities instead.

Nutt
 kbodley
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:14:34 AM
OMG!

Here's the bottom line! If you happen to have been graced by God with a body that is slender and lean, eyebrows that are perfectly shaped, skin that is a natural beautiful golden tan, and hair that just has the perfect mix of blond highlights - well you are likely on the front cover of Vogue!

For the rest of us, we happily rely on whatever "unnatural" enhancements make us feel better about going out each morning to greet the world. When guys ask, "are you a natural redhead?" My reply is, "Only in my soul, but my kids assure me that there should always be truth in advertising!
 aliveone1
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 7:50:32 PM
Personally, I always go for comfort above all. I overheat easily and I don't like wearing too many layers. If I did, I'd start sweating profusely, and then my hair would get drenched and screw up my artificially enhanced hair!

I have no problem with other people wearing body shapers if they want to, though. Everybody wants to feel like they look and feel good when they go out. Whatever tools a person wants to use to feel confident and sexy so they can have a good time is all right by me!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Body Shapers, Pushup Bras, Tummy Tammers - Lying or looking good?