Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Going to Iran      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aventurero
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Going to IranPage 1 of 1    
I've actually heard mainly good things about it but I am not sure Americans will easily get in. Check with the American government website (not sure what External Affaris is called in the USA).

Other places you could go are Oman, certain parts of Turkey, Syria (supposed to be great with few tourists) or Morocco.
 mickeydee302
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Going to Iran
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:30:56 AM
It is possible for an American to visit Iran, just very difficult. I spent two years living in a country bordering Iran, Azerbaijan. In fact, I spent one year living pretty much right on the Iranian border in Naxcivan. You will have to either have a tour operator sponsor you or have an Iranian family do so. You will not be allowed to go anywhere on your own. At all times, you must have someone with you and know of your whereabouts. Even with a sponsor, there is no guarantee of entry. Many of the people in Iran do not know of what is happening between the US and Iran. Many of the political rallies seen on tv are staged. Additionally, more highly educated Iranians will tell you that if not for the US and the number of Iranians currently living there and sending money back to their families in Iran, the economy of Iran would collapse. I found the Iranians I met in my travels to be very friendly and welcoming. If you can get in, I say do it. Do not broadcast you are an American, but at the same time go for it.

If Iran does not work out, you could always check out Azerbaijan (Baku is wonderful and the women are the most incredible I have seen, but I just landed in Japan today so my opinion might change, Sheki has a rich history, Ganja has incredible geography and the exclave of Naxcivan is an interesting chunk of land that I called home for a year) and from there go into Turkey. Eastern Turkey is not that widely frequented by Westerners and it has some of the most incredible history.
 aventurero
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Going to Iran
Posted: 1/14/2009 3:29:21 PM
mickeydee is right about Eastern Turkey, hardly any tourists there, has an amazing history that goes back 10,000 years, great (and sometimes stark) landscapes, and climbing Mt Ararat is a blast if you can stand the bureaucracy.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Going to Iran
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:06:53 PM

not sure what External Affaris is called in the USA).

The State Deparment.
 english lass
Msg: 11
Going to Iran
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:41:17 PM
the first time i really felt in a 'foreign' country, was when i went to israel (after traveling in many western type european countries and north america)...i loved it there... and then kenya and tanzania (away from nairobi/dar) was the same way... many parts of africa have a very muslim 'feel' and may be safer than iran... depending on when you go, i guess...

just make sure that you contact the consulate wherever you go, so they know you're there and can try to ship you out if 'unrest' occurs...
 DoeBubba
Msg: 12
Going to Iran
Posted: 1/31/2009 9:37:04 AM
I traveled all over Iran in the 70"s and there is a lot to see in the country. There are many people in the country that are American friendly, but the government is not. Back then, the country was the most Americanized country of the middle east and I have worked in them all. There is a lot of ancient still there, but a lot was lost forever.

Tunisia has an enormous amount of ancient history and it is totally accessable to the public. You can walk on ancient mosaic tiled floors and visit forts and other ancient cities and ruins in a small country that is more friendly. There are local museums to visit as well and there are many hotels in Tunis or on the Mediteranian Sea. The ancient walled city is still intact in the city of Tunis with its narrow winding streets. Check it out.
 mickeydee302
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Going to Iran
Posted: 2/4/2009 2:48:50 AM
personaly i think its a bit of a sin you going to iran and helping fund there country.

Actually, having traveled and currently living overseas, it would be a greater detriment for him not to go to Iran. First, any money the OP would spend to "fund" Iran would be minimal in the grand scheme of the Iranian economy. Second, one of the greatest things about traveling overseas is meeting the locals and exchanging ideas and hopefully further destroying stereotypes that both parties may hold. Speaking for myself, I spent a year living in the Naxcivan Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan. According to the US Embassy in Azerbaijan, I was the first American to do so and at the time I was the only westerner living there. Many of my students and people I met in the city had a stereotype about Americans. They thought we are rich (not me), but when the average worker there makes about $200-$300 a month, most westerners seem very rich. They also thought we all live in mansions and were sad to discover that I owned a small condo. They were also shocked to discover that I did not own a gun, I have never been in a gang, I had, at the time, only three serious girlfriends during my life and were amazed I was not that arrogant about being an American. After watching television broadcasts in the West, I was concerned about living in a Muslim country. I thought they hated all Americans. However, I soon discovered that most of the people I met were extremely friendly and welcoming. There were families in Naxcivan who had pretty much close to nothing, but were always inviting me to dinner because I was single and "had no one to take care of me". Granted, there were some people who were convinced that I was one way or another and refused to change their opinions about me, but you cannot reach nor change everyone. Additionally, while many of the people I met opposed US foreign policy, they were smart enough to know that merely being an American does not equate to agreeing with everything the government does.

i don't know if you read it in your newspaper or watched on all the T.v news programmes but members of the british forces were held hostage for a number of days by the iranians

I am assuming that you are mentioning the British forces captured off of the Iranian/Iraqi coast in 2007. They were captured in disputed waters and according to many reports, the British forces were the first raise their weapons. You can read the wiki page here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Iranian_seizure_of_Royal_Navy_personnel <--and make up your own mind.

If the OP can get into Iran, I say do it. I would frankly envy him.
 ramyramin
Msg: 17
Going to Iran
Posted: 4/28/2009 6:38:31 AM
I like to find Iranian american friend and talk with them
wish the best for everybody
ramy
 ramyramin
Msg: 18
Going to Iran
Posted: 5/11/2009 5:24:45 PM
I am iranian american person,Md retired ,I do not like talking in political but i am open mind person and i can talk about socilize and about iranian custom
i meet fro m iran around 15 month for 1-2
i like to see where grew up
i know the information for making travell
ramy
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Going to Iran