Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Boycott college football until there's a playoff!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MGMLION
Msg: 4
Boycott college football until there's a playoff!Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
No one's going to boycott college football until there's a playoff.
 climbsagain
Msg: 6
Boycott college football until there's a playoff!
Posted: 1/13/2009 4:18:27 PM
Perhaps a boycott is a start? Doing nothing will result in nothing happening. However the people boycotting have to be the folks with the deep pockets that provide the big bucks to college sports, however wise you will never be missed.
 MGMLION
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/13/2009 6:05:27 PM

The other divisions of college football have had a playoff for many years and actually take the top 20-24

That would be fun to watch:
1) #1 Florida playing #24 Ball State.
2) Next game #2 Oklahoma playing #23 Bowling Green. and so on.
 squirtty36
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 10:12:23 AM
so you take the top team from every conference and seed them and what have you proved. that still would not work you would still have the ****ing. for instance you would have penn state from the big ten. florida from the sec. usc from the pac 10. oklahoma from the big 12. and so on from the rest of the conferences. so now you left out alot of other schools that feel the same they do now. no matter how this thing goes no one is going to be happy. i am a diehard alabama fan. but utah did go undefeated so they should be number one. so they play in a non bcs conference but they are the only undefeated team. i dont agree with what alot of people are saying this year about this and that. no team is better than utah this year they are undefeated number one. no other team could do that.
 climbsagain
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:15:52 PM
You're absolutely wrong. Fans control sports no matter what anybody says and if nobody goes to the games or watches them on tv then this would completely eliminate C.F.'s revenue stream and force them to take action. I would go as far as to say fans wouldn't even need to strike for a whole season...just a few games for them to get the point.

Problem is the fans that care the most about the present system are the very fans that will not stop going to the games as the games are so important to them.

Another issue to consider is that the college alumni really are a important part of the college system and as such the fan is considered a secondary nuance in this matter. The folks controlling the game are very far removed from the fan upset about the lack of playoffs.

Playoffs would make the game more interesting? Just doesn't seem to be an issue that is on the radar of anyone that cares? That is the people in the position to change how the game is played.
 climbsagain
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/15/2009 3:11:08 AM
The real boosters of the game are the TV networks that show the college games every year. The college games draw a good audience during the season as the games attract a large audience. Take away the present system and the the audience will drop as will the abilty for the networks to make money. The money from the networks, there you have your boosters. They control the game.
 nipoleon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 3:48:20 AM
I'm completely in favor of a college football playoff.
However I do think it should be a short playoff system.
That is, expecting major college players to play an extra 5 or 6 games to the championship is probably too much. College players aren't pro players yet and shouldn't have to play an 18 or 19 game season.

It should be limited to the top 8 teams in a simple playoff of 3 extra games for the champion. Besides, only the top 8 teams really have a valid argument for being considered #1 anyway.

Those top 8 teams should be picked with a simple rating system which can be easily understood and agreed upon by everyone, no computers or formulas . This would reward teams which play good opponents and keeps the regular season games meaningful. Those teams with the best record against the best opposition are the best teams.
 climbsagain
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:31:24 AM
Are college sports, football really that dynamic. With the top teams attracting the top players how can the sport be considered dynamic? Consider the teams in the top 25 every year that never change? Why is that?
 MGMLION
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:27:57 AM
Let's say the BCS did come up with a college football playoff Example:

1) Team A is 11-0 playing against Team B with a 9-3 record. For the BCS championship.
2) Team B wins the game on some fluke play.
3) Would that make team B the Best team in the country?
 climbsagain
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:37:14 AM
Let's say the BCS did come up with a college football playoff Example:

1) Team A is 11-0 playing against Team B with a 9-3 record. For the BCS championship.
2) Team B wins the game on some fluke play.
3) Would that make team B the Best team in the country?

This happens in professional sports. Yet we recognize the winner as the champion. Why not? Clearly the Cardinals and Steelers do not have the best records in the game. But the two teams are playing for the championship. How about baseball and the Saint Louis team from a few years back, not the best record in baseball. This format allows teams the opportunity to earn a spot in the playoffs by winning in the playoffs. makes sense.

This is not a question of making sense? This is a question of making money.
 MGMLION
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:55:31 AM

The team that should be the champion is the one who decides it on the field of play.

Then why should we even have a playoff.
Florida was the team that played in the BCS Championship game and won it on the field of play. Florida Gators National Champions
 MGMLION
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/21/2009 6:42:19 AM

The best team in college football is decided in recruiting just as the best teams in pro sports are decided on draft day

The best team in college football is decided during the football season and the Bowl games.

The Detroit Lions get the best draft picks every year and still can't win a game much less get in the playoffs.

Is your last name McFly
 MGMLION
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/21/2009 3:57:24 PM

Utah was undefeated and 5 other teams besides OU and FL had 1 loss at the end of the regular season so it's absolutely impossible to definitively pick 2 teams from all of them to play in a final game.

Utah didn't play anybody no wonder they won all their games:
UNLV, Utah St, Weber St. New Mexico, TCU, San Diego St

They picked two teams Florida vs Oklahoma, Florida winning the Championship game.
Makes them National Champions of College football.
 climbsagain
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/22/2009 4:06:22 AM
You're absolutely wrong. Fans control sports no matter what anybody says and if nobody goes to the games or watches them on tv then this would completely eliminate C.F.'s revenue stream and force them to take action. I would go as far as to say fans wouldn't even need to strike for a whole season...just a few games for them to get the point.

And this is why fans pay for new stadiums with tax dollars benefiting the rich, or why fans pay through the nose to sit and watch the games, or why they pay 6 dollars to drink a beer at a game. I have to agree its fans like you that control the game.

Good luck. Of course, the broadcasters determine when games are shown on the tube, when games are played, and at this point the college game is controlled by a small group of teams that will attract the best athletes. Why because of the money involved. College football teams are the minor league teams for professional football, good luck changing that!
 MGMLION
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/22/2009 5:39:02 AM

You're absolutely wrong. Fans control sports no matter what anybody says and if nobody goes to the games or watches them on tv then this would completely eliminate C.F.'s revenue stream and force them to take action

Some of your tax dollars goes towards paying your college football teams head coach in your city. Some of my tax dollar money went to Phil Fullmer when they give him $6 million dollars just to leave.
 MGMLION
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/22/2009 5:59:03 AM
Then why will they issue out rings to the gator players that will say 2009 National Champions? And Utah won't get a thing.
 MGMLION
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/22/2009 7:41:58 AM

you said all they can do is play and beat the teams on their sch., wrong they make there sch., they could put better teams on it if they chose to do so.but they dont, wonder why that is?

So they can beat a bunch of nobody's and have a unbeaten record then cry because they don't play in the BCS Championship game.
 MGMLION
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:13:52 AM

Let me just ask you this...are you in favor of a playoff?

Most people are but I don't think it will happen.
I watched Sports Center a few days ago and the AD at Notre Dame said he was totally against it happening, but not sure how much influence he has on it.
 MGMLION
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/23/2009 1:34:56 PM

You still didn't answer the question...are you in favor of a playoff or aren't you?

If there is no playoff then the BCS game determines the champion.
I really don't care one way or the other.
 climbsagain
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/23/2009 6:55:02 PM
All I'm saying is that every collegiate sport besides Div. I C.F. has a playoff and there's no legit reason not to have one. 90% of fans want to see a postseason tournament and this year is a perfect example of why the current system doesn't and can't ever work. How can anybody justify a system that tells the #3 team in the country that they get no shot whatsoever at a national title? That's insane to me. You still didn't answer the question...are you in favor of a playoff or aren't you?

No I really don't care . I enjoy college football as it is. In fact more than professional football. Question? This 90% of the fans that favor the playoff system. Where did this number come from?
 MGMLION
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:14:07 PM

This 90% of the fans that favor the playoff system. Where did this number come from?

From what I read in this Thread so far most people don't really care one way or the other
 climbsagain
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:17:09 PM
This 90% of the fans that favor the playoff system. Where did this number come from?

From what I read in this Thread so far most people don't really care one way or the other

Perhaps he did an informal poll asking his kids, grandmother and the cat?
 MGMLION
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:11:39 PM

There is no argument for not having a playoff, Smaller schools would be able to compete if they could recruit and be able to tell the kids they will have a shot at the title,

I hope I live to see the day when it's Ball State playing against Arkansas State for the National Championship.
 climbsagain
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:32:13 PM
I hope I live to see the day when it's Ball State playing against Arkansas State for the National Championship.

It might be nice. However it is as liekly as the New Orleans Saints playing the Detroit Lions in the Super Bowl. Just doesn't seem like it will ever happen.
 climbsagain
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/25/2009 5:47:55 AM
This is just one poll that has come out in the last 6 months or so that clearly shows around 90% of fans being in favor of a playoff. There have been several on ESPN.com and a few other sites but I wasn't able to find them in their archives or I'm not looking in the right place. Anyway, with that high of a percentage of fans being in favor of changing the current system that should definitely say alot.

Opinion polls conducted by ESPN are not considered to be valid or reliable indications of anything other than the fact that a question was asked and people responded.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Boycott college football until there's a playoff!