Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Drugs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JasonGrimm
Msg: 2
DrugsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Are drugs really legal in Amsterdam? I heard it was something like you could buy Marryjuana but not smoke it in public.
 Autumn Moon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/13/2009 7:49:52 PM
I think that helping addicts control their use is a good thing. Clean needle clinics, methadone clinics, that sort of thing. Definitely legalize marijuana. -
 si-denada
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/14/2009 1:42:07 PM
^^^^^^^^

Crikey Tecnic you should be on television!
 killarneyman
Msg: 16
Drugs
Posted: 1/18/2009 3:38:35 AM
While in principle I agree that by legalizing drugs you could remove the crime aspect from the equation, there are a number of other things that need to be taken into account.

Firstly, where do we get the drugs? Do we grow them ourselves? How do we manage security for such a venture? Do we just set up poppy farms somewhere in Wicklow or something? How do we deal with criminals from other parts of the world who might want to steal them? From time to time we have enough trouble with crime gangs robbing securicor vans. What happens when vans full of heroin start driving down the road?

Secondly, how do you decide who can have drugs and who can not? There is a huge social stigma around drug taking of any sort here, and that (along with the fact that it is illegal, and at times very difficult to get) actually does alot to keep people away from it. I know some casual drug users, and they are casual just because they can not get their coke or pills every weekend. If they can walk into the local chemist and get them, will they turn into full time users? I remember when I was 16, and my parents caught me smoking for the first time they gave me a bit of shit about it. But my reasoning was that the government had decided, by their age restrictions, that a 16 year old was mature enough to decide if they wanted to smoke or not (I know the laws have since changed to 18, but my point remains the same). By legalizing drugs in this country, the government is saying 'Hey, it's ok to take drugs'

Thirdly, will legalizing drugs remove crime from Ireland? I sincerely doubt it. People who are involved in the drug trade, should you take drugs out of the equation, will just find another way to make large sums of money very quickly.
 killarneyman
Msg: 21
Drugs
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:26:12 AM
Guinness is a little bit harder to shift and worth a little less per pound than something like heroin. A keg of Guinness is like what? 70kg? And worth maybe 50 - 80 euro at the absolute most on the black market.

Something tells me that 70kg of heroin, cocaine or even hash would be worth a wee bit more than 50 euro.
 Autumn Moon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/19/2009 4:30:36 PM
You say a bullet in the head is cheaper, any thoughts to the big picture??? In the years to come... the diseases that addicts deal with is huge, who do you thinks pays for it??
 flyin-high
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 1/22/2009 2:15:02 PM
Every time the topic of legalizing drugs comes up, marijuana gets lumped in with cocaine and heroin. Marijuana is very different, not just in it’s chemical composition, but in it’s social impact on society.

If you want to see an example of the wrong way to deal with drug problems just look at the Americans. On a per capita basis, they have the highest prison population of any country, over 50% of their prison population is due to drug related crimes. 25% is marijuana related, yet violent offenders are released due to over population because their crimes carry a lesser sentence in many cases. At the same time, the medical profession dispenses pain killers and anti-depressants like they were candy.

I’m not sure that legalizing marijuana is a good idea, but decriminalizing possession of small amounts of it definitely is.

Ireland seems fairly tolerant of marijuana, keep it that way, and please don’t turn into a bunch of Americans.
 killarneyman
Msg: 26
Drugs
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:27:53 PM

The trouble with decriminalising possesion on its own is that users still have to deal with criminals in order to obtain it. It doesnt address the issues of contamination, gangland crime, loss of tax revenue and dealers trying to push users onto harder drugs. Decriminilasation (or downgraging/reclassification) pretty much represents the worst of both worlds as far as I can see.

Not to mention the fact that you then have to deal with drugs tourism, which is a huge problem in Holland from what I have heard.
 killarneyman
Msg: 33
Drugs
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:01:41 AM

Only to the extent that something that constitutes a major part of ones economy can be regarded as a "problem"

There are tradeoffs. Increase of drug related crime, increase of required policing etc. Here are some articles about the drugs trade in Holland and why they are trying to cut it back. A number of towns in the south-west of the netherlands have already made the decision to phase out 'coffee shops' in the town because of the large number of 'undesirables' that come up from mainland europe.

Netherlands has a high anti-drug related public expenditure, the second highest drug related public expenditure per capita of all countries in EU (after Sweden). 75% is law enforcement expenditures including police, army, law courts, prisons, customs and finance guards. 25% is health and social care expenditures including treatment, harm reduction, health research and educational including prevention and social affairs interventions. (from wiki)

http://www.eturbonews.com/5899/netherlands-drug-tourism-could-go-smoke
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4595018.stm
 TheGredge
Msg: 34
Drugs
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:12:11 PM
Looks like Technic would actually do well to smoke a joint...ironic
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/11/2009 8:18:09 AM
ganja will not be made legal, due to the competition with pharmeceutical companies, and the fact that it's too easy to grow and can't be taxed. dope may be a gateway drug, but i don't feel it's any worse for you than alcohol, when done in moderation of course.
 bad_boy_with_a_heart
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/15/2009 11:09:42 PM

Yeah dude ya cant type in all caps locks and not put any full stops or spaces between sentences.

It makes your posts too hard to read, i just skipped it after the first line, im sure most others will too
 itsmeaaron
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/16/2009 12:20:38 PM
how much of the govt's deficit do you think is spent on importing drugs that we don't know about? a couple billion? i wouldn't be surprised in the least.

and not to mention, here in the u.s, alot of states won't bust you if you have an ounce or less, it will just be confiscated, the second offense in a fine, then the third is jail time.
 bad_boy_with_a_heart
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Drugs
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:32:11 PM
i have the solution for the drug problem in this country....

not less drugs....

more drugs!

get more drugs, and give them to the politicians
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Drugs