Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Knock out looks VS roly poly cute or plain      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Knock out looks VS roly poly cute or plainPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
for every roly poly woman is a roly poly man. however, looks are only part of the picture. i know good looking happy couples and bad looking unhappy couples. i don't think looks are all there is to everyone and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, as well as in the mind of a narcissist who may, to us, look like sh-it. (excuse my brooklyn)
 Write Time
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Knock out looks VS roly poly cute or plain
Posted: 1/14/2009 2:07:03 AM
The happiest people -- and couples -- are those who are completely comfortable with who they are, where they are, how they present themselves to the world. Has nothing to do with superficial appearances, but does project an inner beauty that may well be what caught your eye.
 strollinbella
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:03:47 AM
I don't think looks have anything to do with it either. My observation of such a scenario is that happy couples, whether rich, poor, fat, skinny....have chemistry, shared and separate interests, and an ability to laugh off the little differences they may have and work around the big ones.

One of my friends from high school is almost masculine in appearance. She doesn't have the most feminine walk, nor does she have the prettiest face, but she and the love of her life have been married for 31 years. They have weathered a few storms, and even separated once, but decided to stick it out and work through any problems they may face.

At the same time, I have met some "beautiful people" who can't seem to stay in a relationship longer than it takes for the ink to dry on the marriage certificate, and others who fall in the same societal category who have been married longer than I've been on this earth.

To the OP, I am not knocking your logic. In fact, I think this thread will be one that stays up for a long time, simply because it encourages debate.
 Jumbie564
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 6:03:06 AM

To the OP, I am not knocking your logic. In fact, I think this thread will be one that stays up for a long time, simply because it encourages debate.

Debate? The question is framed in a self-serving manner intended to elicit answers that serve to validate the OP's foregone conclusion.

Kudos to everyone who spotted this and correctly shot down the premise that looks have anything to do with successful relationships.
 Feather Sandwich
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:33:11 AM
Ooohhhh, so that's why I haven't had successful relationships. I'm just too damn good-looking. Gonna get right on that roly poly thing. Thanks, OP.

I don't think it really has anything to do with looks, more with lifestyle. The Hollywood stars, models, whoever, don't live the same kind of life we mortals do. They don't know how to do without, how to strengthen a relationship through shared hardship, how to compromise, or deal with adversity.

They have people to take care of life's little unpleansantries for them, so they never learn to depend on each other, be there for each other, or need each other.

They happen to also be exceptionally good-looking, which is why they are able to live the lives they do.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/14/2009 8:43:17 AM
What do the men look like?
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/14/2009 10:22:44 AM
Halle Berry is beautiful, talented, and rich and both of her equally beautiful ex-husbands physically AND mentally abused her......the first one even sent so far as to prefer spending time with hookers than his wife......she seems to be happy now with a gorgeous boyfriend and beautiful child, but whenever I see a beautiful woman "catching hell", I always wonder "why???"
 catkin2007
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/14/2009 10:35:38 AM
OP, the reason relationships work is because the parties invested themselves into the relationship. They didn't stay based on looks or not, they got to know the real person and accepted them for who they are, not what they look like.

Looks have nothing to do with a successful relationship. The success of a relationship is based solely on the two people working the relationship. They work together to keep that relationship healthy and loving.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 11:27:07 AM

whenever I see a beautiful woman "catching hell", I always wonder "why???"

A very attractive person will often try to match up with somone just as attractive (vain) and at some point, the ego's collide. The bruised ego will lash out or find some other way to boost their ego. Be careful what you ask for as you just might get it.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:28:13 PM

Attraction" is about looks. A "Relationship" is not about looks. It's really as simple as that. People who know how to work well (communicate well) in a relationship will have a successful relationship. Physical attributes change over time (often not for the better). Love how a person looks, but don't love them for how they look

..." Ditto"....I was gonna say something to that effect but you did a far better job.

...maeflowers
 RoadTrip3500
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:28:14 PM
I have met women of all 4 "types"... beautiful and the intelligence/compassion to go with it, beautiful and a real jerk, plain and intelligent/compassionate, and plain who are jerks. It's about the total package, not any one aspect. When two "total packages" get together, you have a happy couple for a long time.
 smhrgs3000
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:44:24 PM
Theuncommon, please don't take this wrong, no disrespect intended, but I have met a few knockout looking ladies, whose absolute preoccupation with maintaining their "personal beauty" made the terrain around them almost uninhabitable, ARGH. You couldn't take them out in the wind, because it "mussed their hair". You couldn't go to a carnival, because they'd smell like popcorn, you couldn't go swimming, because of the chlorine in the water, and how it would beach & dry their skin, yada yada yada. HELLO, why be "that gorgeous", if you can't go out and enjoy it?

On a seperate note, ladies like Christy Brinkley are a bit like this. You cannot attain "supermodel" staus, without a lot of sacrifices, and to willingly make such sacrifices, fame & wealth have to be a huge driving factor in who you are. Perhaps, that is how they measure personal success. I know that a few divorces like the one she had with Billy Joel, and she'll never go hungry again, lol.
 SueCat51
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:22:43 PM
Looks has nothing to do with the success of a marriage. At some point, we ALL lose our looks.

It's a simple fact, if one is good looking, that person may beat others to the first "meet & greet" session. Beyond that, looks in itself, does not guarantee if a relationship will succeed or fail.

What guarantees a successful relationship is what BOTH people are willing to put into it. What their attitude towards each other is, as well as their attitude towards themselves. A couple that can look beyond imperfections and work as a team through thick and thin will have a greater chance for success. Looks, like money, is easy come and easy go. It's everything else (in between) that is the hard stuff.Can we get through the hard stuff as well as the easy stuff?
 karmicfilly
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:50:53 PM
Have you forgotten about the most important thing, what's inside. The outside is
just the initial attraction, after that you better have something more. It gets really
old dating just the good looking shallow, intellectually hollow male. I willl not even
entertain the thought. Now if it was just for sex thats a whole different story........
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:42:54 AM
I have seen fat and ugly people have successful relationships, but let me be the Devil's Advocate here: Perhaps the roly-poly wives and their roly-poly husbands stay in long lasting relationships because they are afraid if they leave, they won't find anyone else.

I was married for 25 years and everyone, including my ex, thought our marriage was a great success. I was beyond roly-poly: I was obese. I was unhappy in my marriage but stayed for several factors, including my kids, but I was also afraid to try to make it alone--emotionally and financially.

I don't know the minds of beautiful people, but perhaps they don't fear being able to "catch" someone else. Or, they could go from partner to partner because they, like the rest of us, desire stability and the "perfect" marriage, but are more willing to take chances.

Just a thought.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:40:05 AM
Throw in body type, fashion and mass appeal.

Then you've got upbringing... demons or even blessings to surmount,

Struggle and survival, finding your niche, new mistakes to make and baggage to tuck away.

It does seem that sooo much in life is.... kismet, Karma, luck and timing.

Yup.... being in the right frame of mind in the right place at the right time and tripping over the right person... whatever your shape.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Knock out looks VS roly poly cute or plain