Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What have you learned about online dating here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 airplane_geek
Msg: 3
What have you learned about online dating here?Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Just like families, dating sites tend to be dysfunctional.
 SweetKristine
Msg: 6
What have you learned about online dating here?
Posted: 6/23/2005 7:35:23 PM
I learned becareful who you open up to on here...not everyone is open and honest!
 wattafind
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/23/2005 7:43:35 PM
This online dating thing is not as effective as smackin' 'em in the head with a club and draggin' 'em back to the cave. How I miss the good ole days!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/23/2005 8:00:27 PM
Just like the other sites I've been on, if you have a pic, that's what they respond to. Not all, but many. I finally started deleting emails got tired of sending a polite response to questions they would flood me with which would have been answered had they read what I spent time writing. I don't care if a guy is a doctor who lives in a huge mansion and drives a Porsche, if you don't read my profile and write me an email that says hi beautiful and asks a preanswered question, you're outta there. It's a signal they don't pay attention and who wants a man like that? Certainly not me!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/23/2005 9:00:30 PM
modine No, it's not just you. If someone can't read and pay attention to what you wrote, how could they possibly be THAT interested in you anyway?
 who_the_fox
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/23/2005 9:40:14 PM
I learned that to "succeed" here it requires t&a pix and a willingness to screw anyone. I am a complete failure
 Passinthru
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/23/2005 10:34:22 PM
What have I learned? Probably nothing I didn't already know. Boob shots?
We men are visual creatures, no apologies here, it's just the way we are wired. However, I do read profiles and when one interests me I remember it. I might not respond immediately but I do watch for them to pop up again throughout the forums.

I "chat" with several women here from time to time and many of them, although very attractive and intelligent, feel they are invisible here. Keep in mind you have no way of knowing just who is reading that profile of yours or following your posts in an effort to learn more about you.

Modine,
You have a well written profile, an attractive picture posted (although a bit distant) and list several enticing interests. You also seemigly have a great attitude with the exception of a couple of posts here tonight but your frustration is understandable. Getting acclimated to this place, just as all others, takes time and requires a "weeding out" process.

Don't expect too much or require too little of anyone here and you will field fewer disappointments.
 kadmus
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:06:02 PM
I've learned that there are some exceptionally bright and funny people out there. I've made friends everywhere and that's nice.

I've also learned that you sometimes you need to be assertive and sometimes you need to be patient and only experience can teach you the difference.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 27
Posted: 6/24/2005 12:09:06 PM
kadmus What a refreshingly positive and upbeat post!! And great profile! Your fishing should be a piece of cake. You really stand out.
 luvinlittleyellowjacket
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2005 4:55:03 PM
I've learned nothing so far....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/25/2005 7:53:30 PM
Whoa cowboy, I was thinking stay the heck away from Texas...azzholes and elbows, this ain't professional wrestling tiger, the next morning the other guy looks worse than you? What is going on in Michigan? I think that maybe you need to put on your Sunday best, and drive into town and go to a nice social dance or something. Good women, decent women and nice women that your momma would love don't take to this kind of actions or language. Lose the attitude, clean up and make a serious quest for a woman that can't beat you at arm wrestling.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/25/2005 7:58:27 PM
radio Distance is a major obstacle. Get real. Unless you have a private jet at your personal disposal, don't expect me to fly to see you. I don't travel I have a real job, my distance requirements (no exceptions) are reality. Long distance relationships are a total loss, unless you're a celebrity or have access to those kind of resources. I won't travel because I can't, have done it before to be lured into a flat out disappointment. So don't want to anymore, unless you can fly to see me, don't bother. Don't email me, I'll be real with you and not romanticize with someone who doesn't live in my state or country. I'm doing you a favor saving you the letdown when one of us has to say, this just doesn't work.
 robertpaulson
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:41:50 PM
Actually this forum is filled with useful advice and interesting perspectives on what women want. I am absorbing information like a computer surfing sponge and I am certain that in the future this info will prove a gold mine.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/25/2005 9:00:34 PM
apefoot So young to know so much. If you've figured that out, it's only ONE, you're way ahead of the "pack". Maybe you should be sharing your wisdom with some of your older fellow fishermen who are old enough to be your dad, that still post and grip and whine about the numbers thing, and haven't learned how to "fish" for what they want. I honestly don't expect you to be around long, I think you'll land your fish real soon.
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2005 11:44:26 PM
(who_the_fox wrote:) " I learned that to "succeed" here it requires t&a pix and a willingness to screw anyone. I am a complete failure"
~~~~~~~
I just learned from who-the-fox that I TOO, am a complete failure (no T&A pix, not screwing anyone from here. Thanks for the lesson. Bows deeply; doffs hat)

I also learned from the avatars that apparently most of the women in the world seem to be fixated upon their boobs, so they sit around in front of a webcam with plunging necklines their boobs sticking out (lotsa those pix) ; that canuckistan has, on the average, better looking women that the US (DAMN!); that most guys apparently sit around unshaven, in scruffy attire and in basball caps that make them look like microcephalic mini-winos named "weasel-boy" (how appealing!); that there are really a LOT of insipid young people out there (for which I apologize. Us older folks should have taught you better but liberals/progressives/revisionists are running the schools these days and NOBODY can control them); that people with tattoos tend to be fixated upon their tattoos; and that if a woman posts skanky pix she ends up on a lot of people's "favorites" list even if she appears to have the personality of a rabid badger with PMS. (which doesn't say much for my species, something ELSE for which I apologize)

tyme_gypsy
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2005 6:22:19 PM
(jedbushel wrote:) :1. Women exploit every means at their disposal to be cruel.
2. Men chase after them anyway."

JED! You didn't know that before coming here? (hehheh)

c_deacon
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2005 11:43:06 PM
That my sixth sense is true and does not lie....and that I care too much for too few and they do not care the same way back.
 Alistair10
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/30/2005 12:08:33 AM
Wait a second! There are guys that are genuine. But i've learned that the woman on this site are.....suspect. not babs....just the one I've met.
 Alistair10
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/30/2005 4:47:21 AM
That's great ..."kuddlebum"...gawd I feel like a dork saying that! lol Unfortunately I've learned to be cautious and somewhat jaded.
 Uncle Pervy
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/30/2005 5:21:58 AM
Modine,

You're correct in your general assumption of men in regard to this site.

However, remember this also > 99% of the women here are looking for a Prince Charming with rock-hard ABS, a tight little butt, and a movie star smile.

Face it - the remaining 1% of us "everyday people" don't stand a chance, no matter how nice wer are....
 Uncle Pervy
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/30/2005 5:23:00 AM
Bag1 - she has every right to be cynical, it's just the mood that this site puts one in....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/30/2005 9:58:44 AM
meeka Very good observations and your instincts are there for a reason. I would only add to that not to rely on other's experiences, for every positive and good thing it seems there are 4 or 5 people who talk about BAD experiences. As in life, people are more willing to complain about the bad than to talk about the good things, human nature being what it is. If I were you, i wouldn't let that keep me from experiencing it for myself. I've been doing the internet thing off and on for quite a while and there are many good, decent men out there that are honestly looking for a good relationship. It's a matter of establishing your own parameters, what you will accept and what you won't. There's a certain excitement of meeting a blind date. There are those that certainly will be disappointments but there are those (in My experience anyway) that are better in person than what you expected. I'm just saying to experience it for yourself, you really never know what you may be passing up.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/30/2005 10:01:12 AM
montreal Your last sentence sums it up best. Had I not experienced it for myself, and based on what I've read on the forums, I'd think what the heck am I doing here wasting my time. Since I have been out with some, even some from this site, I know better.
 Mr O
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/2/2005 6:51:48 AM
I have learned that women are women no matter where you meet them

This site so far has been entertaining to say the least.

As far as meeting your soul m8 or someone that you connect with, good luck.

it seems that most of the women on this site are not here for the purpose of finding a nice/compatible/genuine man. Most will judge by pictures or openning lines. When you are exactly what they describe as what they are looking for, they blow you off!

Sure there are some exceptions to this but for the most part i think this is just a big ego boost for hot chicks! It's like they don't hear it enough when they are away from their computer, they have to post themselves almost nude and expect someone to say how beautiful they are, then when someone does they judge them based on that.

Understand this ladies.
Most men who are on this site are plenty nervous and really don't know how to approach you. It's hard enough for us in the real world to think straight! When you put pictures of yourself in suggestive positions or provokative poses you are getting what you asked for.

Post a picture of yourself that does not compromise your integrity. If you like the person send them some of the naughty ones.

everywhere i look i see pics of women with their t!ts hanging out or their goodies almost showing. If you want to be taken seriously, put up a serious picture.

now that i have gotten that off my chest,..... let the games begin!
 Mr O
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/2/2005 8:32:40 AM
Well said Mommy

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What have you learned about online dating here?