Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Dentists in Mexico      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bcboy72
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Dentists in MexicoPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Has anyone here gotten dental work done in Mexico or other countries that boast very low rates? I am curious if there are referrals anyone here would give..or..for that matter, horror stories...

Just had a good laugh at my dentist when he handed me a quote for 19k to do some bridges and implants.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 2
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:15:39 PM
You get what you pay for.

Have you ever been to Mexico?
Take a good look at the smiles from the natives. That should tell you all you need to know
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 3
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:16:01 PM
ouch! time for a second opinion

http://www.carecredit.com/index.html
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 4
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:28:58 PM

You get what you pay for.
Take a good look at the smiles from the natives. That should tell you all you need to know

Makes you wonder what the natives are smiling about?

A rather harsh comment eh, ratherBgolfing?

I've been to several "third world" countries where the health care is better
than the one in B.C., FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE, or even FREE sometimes!

OP, there are good and bad denstist everywhere.
Check around for one that has good referrals. Simple as that!

MN
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 6
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 1:08:28 PM

However another friend, a denturist, has a low opinion of Mexican dentists

of course! Would any local in a related profession want to send business out of country?
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 8
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 1:50:37 PM
Getting dental work done in a foreign country? (Shivers in fear ... )
My dentist has to treat me like a 3 yr old when approaching me with that 5 foot long needle ... or so it seems. I also need a lot of extra freezing for whatever reason ... my dentist knows it but most other dentists don't really take me seriously when I tell them ... until I leap up from the chair screaming. No, not funny when it happens.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 9
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 2:36:02 PM
Had some Done in Asia by US trained University Grad Dentists with over 20 Years Experience. The Work was complete Mickey-Mouse and had to be redone here. I suspect they were "cheaping" it out.

I noticed too that his Equipment was not the newest, and may have had something to do with not detecting some Cavities. The filings were total crap, might as well have used Dry-Wall Filler.

I wouldn't steroetype Dentists by Location, but by the Qualifications, Experience, Equipment, Reputation and Specifications of exactly he was going to do. In these Situations it behooves one well to do some Research on the Net to determine was are good and crappy Compounds.
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 10
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 3:51:34 PM
"I've been to several "third world" countries where the health care is better
than the one in B.C., FOR A FRACTION OF THE PRICE..."

I don't think so. Health care is free in BC.
 MediaNaranja
Msg: 11
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 4:49:29 PM
^^^Msg. #11

I don't think so. Health care is free in BC.

Dental work as well as other specialties sure aren't!

I personally know some people who go to get their dental and other health care issues
done in Venezuela as well as in Mexico because of how ridiculously expensive it is in Canada.

They are very happy with the results..

MN
 bcboy72
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 5:14:15 PM
The reason I brought this up, was my grandfather had a fake tooth put in here in Canada...had nothing but issues..cost him 3k...it fell out 3x...He went to mexico, got it fixed for 600 bucks...and has never had an issue since...this started the thought process.

I will be looking into it further for sure....I need a holiday.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 13
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/14/2009 11:43:00 PM
I disagree with you in so far that med/dent professionals in 2nd/3rd world nations do not necessarily have the same education in their country and thus do/can not work to our standards.

I made no Comparisons in my Post about dental Education, except to state that the Dentist I hired in Asia was fully trained and certified by an American University where he had studied for some 7 - 10 Years. In other Words, he received the same Education American Dentists have. I never said, nor compared any Education in other Places of the World with ours, but just to indicate what kind of Dentist I used.

I disagree also with the suggestion that research on the net in general will give a patient reasons for peace of mind.

I never said anything about Peace of Mind. There are cheap and some very expensive and far more durable non-mercury based Compounds which many Dentist will offer as Options. And yes, you can research yourself, make up your Mind what you would like to have done, and your Dentist will do it. Obviously the Quality of Compounds makes a Difference, but I never stated this is the End-All of Dentistry, since the Skill & Application of the Practinioner are probably even more important.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 14
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/15/2009 2:16:48 AM
the comment was about stereotyping a dentist by location "Qualifications, Experience, Equipment, Reputation" what my statement points out is that regardless of education or equipment a practitioner may not do a good job, whatever the reason, as you experienced.

That's a given, goes with any Services whatsoever, and I never stated it was 100% Foolproof. Nevertheless, using the Criterias of:

Qualifications, Experience, Equipment, Reputation and Specifications of exactly he was going to do.

... greatly increases the odds you will get better work done than just walking into any Dental Office down the Street. But as I mentioned, it became apparent to me subsequently why the work I received was substandard, in that ...

1.) The Equipment was not the newest Technology ...
2.) The Materials were inferior.

By that I can safely deduct, in the Future I better frequent Dental Clinics which have newer Equipment, and get myself educated on better Materials and insist they be utilized and that will increase my odds of having better Work performed.

And that was the Entirety of my Post. Since then I have also drawn on the "Reputation" Angle I had mentioned above, and found another Dentist who has never by User Testimony screwed up, and have had as the Result of this Recommendation excellent Work performed.

All I am doing here is expanding on what I wrote previously. You disagreed with me on the Basis of:

the comment was about stereotyping a dentist by location "Qualifications, Experience, Equipment, Reputation" what my statement points out is that regardless of education or equipment a practitioner may not do a good job, ...

... and I never said anything about 100% Foolproof, just a set of Criteria above which up the odds substantially.

And per your Quote above as well:

I disagree with you in so far that med/dent professionals in 2nd/3rd world nations do not necessarily have the same education in their country and thus do/can not work to our standards.

... when I never said anything about "Over-there" Educational Standards compared to "our" Standards. I just pull a Blank as your Responses are not Replies to anything I posted, making me scratch my Head what you are disagreeing with that I actually stated.

Test results from highly credited universities in Europe, the US and Japan fave found no evidence of mercury leakage as proclaimed by two highly published dentists, both of whom have been convicted of fraudulent conduct since their publications. As a matter of fact the mercury leakage from amalgam is apparently less than the mercury intake from one slice of bread.

I had rather involved Naturepathic Testing done Years ago just to see what Odds & Ends might have been overseen as a general preventative Health Measure only, and testing for Mercury was one of those.

Nil, nothing showed up. I also believe the whole Mercury Poisoning PR is a Bunch of Crock, and had then at that Point pulled the Plug on all the Dental "Make-Work" Projects to pull the Mercury Fillings back out and replace it non-durable "non-mercury" Compounds. A lot of the actual and truthful Infos I got from the Internet as I got tired of Dentists berating me one Way or the other.

Hey, Re & Re is good Biz ... lol
 Ticketoride
Msg: 15
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:52:41 AM
Oh my, we are oversensitive. Sorry I assumed my style of comment was understood as in general and also providing some lateral reasoning on the subject in general. Like I said there was no accusation . This is a dating site forum and I’ve tried to keep comments and information so that all readers may benefit from some very general information that may help their future decisions.

That's fine, nothing to do with Sensitivity. You just disagreed with something I never said, just couldn't figure out why.
 timlee
Msg: 17
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:04:37 PM
The place you are looking for is Los Algodones Mexico,and the dentist is Dra Gabriela Bastidas. After two visits to her office in January of 09, and a crown and 8 filling later,I can say I made a very good choice. My crown fits perfect,and my teeth look great since she removed my old metal fillings and replaced them with new white fillings. I had an old white filling on my front tooth that had become discolored with age. She replaced this with new,and matched it exactly. I cant even tell its there. The prices were great at $180 dollars for the Metal Porcelain crown,and 40 dollars for each filling. I believe her price for implants are 1000 U S . Her English is good, and her office was very clean,and had a friendly and professional environment. I felt very comfortable there with absolutely no pain during,or after my visit. All in all..I'm more than happy with the dental work I received. I did a lot of research before my trip to Los Algodones and can answer most questions if you want to email me with any..
 sisterevil
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/6/2009 1:27:02 PM
My sister lives in Calgary and needs some pretty expensive dental work. She found a place in Costa Rica and has contacted them and done her homework about the dentist. Its cheaper for her to go to Costa Rica and have this done AND have about a 10 vacation than to have it done here. If you want more info I can email her and get it for you.
 bcboy72
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/6/2009 4:14:43 PM
Just because the cost of labor is much cheaper down south, doesn't mean the quality is any less. I am sure in some instances, it is...but with proper homework, I think one is silly NOT to at least look into it. When I get quoted 110.00 an hour for cleaning at one dentist, and 200/hr at the next...both in B.C., makes me wonder as well, when everyone is supposed to be on the same page?

I paid 400.00 for two teeth to be pulled a few weeks ago. It took 45 min. I never stopped bleeding for two days. Went to emergency the following morning as it still hadn't stopped, they said I had to go back to the dentist to get it stitched. The tooth they used as a fulcrum point for their lever, pull em out er thing...is now pointed slightly inward and my jaw hurt for over a week.

I can't see how down south it can be any worse... You don't always get what you pay for.

Sisterevil, would love that info!
 sisterevil
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/9/2009 10:23:52 AM
http://www.healthcostarica.com/ Just write to the site and they will send you what ever info you want and then you can go from there. I am waiting on the dentist my sister is going to see and will post when I get it! :)
 Señor ~Z~
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:13:44 PM

Unfair statement... and the only validity to this statement is that a majority of the people in Mexico can not afford to have Dental and Medical plans.... It has been my personal experience that the medial system in Mexico (and it does vary a bit from state to state) is excellent (including Doctors doing house calls), and is relatively inexpensive to our standard of living. However when minimum wage is a little more than $6 a day; obtaining a medical or dental plan takes a back seat to food and shelter. As in a few of the previous entries, there are a number of foreigners traveling to Mexico for their Dental and Medical needs.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 22
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/10/2009 3:32:24 AM
Ok, so this is not really related to Dentists in Mexico, but it IS related to health care overseas. A friend of mine had a lump in her breast & underwent all the relevant testing & biopsies here. The docs told her it was not cancer, however, she was feeling very weak & ill & felt that it was. She wanted the lump removed but the docs booked her for surgery more than 6 months down the road because they felt it wasn't urgent or life-threatening.

She decided to go to her hometown of Brazil immediately to see a doctor there for a second opinion. The initial tests revealed that she had a second tumour underneath the first tumour that the docs here had missed & that the second tumour was in fact malignant. Within days after diagnosis she had a mastectomy to remove the cancerous breast. She returned here after the surgery with her medical reports & scan results of the tumours to show her doctor & began chemo therapy here.

Her Brazilian doc said that had she not trusted her instincts, while she was waiting those six months or longer to have a lumpectomy here, that second malignant tumour would have grown so large that the cancer would likely have spread to the point of no return. So in her case, seeking & getting medical treatment overseas saved her life.
 sisterevil
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Dentists in Mexico
Posted: 2/10/2009 2:24:08 PM
^^^ wow...I guess ALWAYS try and force the dr to listen...I know sometimes they are a revolving door, but we gotta just say hang on here! I have some major medical issues and I have learned I have to do alot of research myself and then basically TELL my gp this is what I want.....

I am very happy for your friend that she made it thru
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Dentists in Mexico