Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book. Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
NEW YORK - Last week, Ann Coulter squared off against Matt Lauer on NBC’s “TODAY” show, and Monday the conservative political pundit brought her provocative point of view to ABC’s “The View.”

The tension was thick from the get go, as Walters introduced Coulter, saying, “We’ve all been discussing your book on camera.”

“Yes, I’ve heard,” Coulter said, interrupting Walters.

“Good, you should be pleased,” Walters snapped back, which silenced Coulter.

The hot topics quickly boiled over when talk turned to Coulter’s view on single mothers.

“What is your issue with single mothers?” Whoopi Goldberg inquired.

After a lengthy tirade, Coulter then took issue with the manner in which Hollywood is portraying women having children out of marriage.

“It’s the new thing, as opposed to the sex tape,” Coulter said of single moms. “Hollywood, mainstream media, the New York Times, women’s magazines, exalting single motherhood, movie after movie about single motherhood, book after book, sisters are doing it for themselves.”

Goldberg stopped Coulter’s rampage against single moms, asking, “Are you married? Do you have kids?”

“No, but it wouldn’t change the difference of the facts I cite,” Coulter said, referring to the claims she makes in her book.

“Well, it would,” Goldberg countered. “If you had children, you would know more of what you’re talking about.”

The talk took a particularly awkward turn when Coulter accused Walters of reading her book like it was something Adolf Hitler had written.

“I’ve never heard my book read aloud, like you’re reading Mein Kampf, and I just did,” Coulter told Walters, referring to Hitler’s manifesto. “Read it like you’re reading Mein Kampf again!”

“I don’t think I did,” Walters said.

“I think you did,” Coulter snapped. “You spat out the words, like I wasn’t sitting here.”

“I don’t appreciate the way you’re talking to her,” Sherri Shepherd told Coulter defending Walters. “Nobody is attacking you. You don’t have to talk to her like that!”

Luckily, Goldberg wrapped up the madness by taking it to commercial

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28638496/

For those that didn't catch her on The View this past week you can view it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbWSfIL1d4&feature=related

Ann Coulter is a idiotic nut case. I mean, to sit there and write something about how single mothers are to blame for violence increases in society is flat out ridiculous alone within itself. Then she goes onto suggest that every single mother should give their children up for adoption because of that, takes it to a whole new level of Idiotism. I don't care what political side you are on, when you make comments like this, you deserve to be classified as an idiotic nut case.
 dragonpat
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.
Posted: 1/14/2009 10:42:53 PM
ok i guess i will agree that she is a nut job.
 geeleebee
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/15/2009 6:25:15 AM
As far as I know no one on the view disagreed with her views on single motherhood.

This statement is clearly in disagreement with Coulter:

“Well, it would,” Goldberg countered. “If you had children, you would know more of what you’re talking about.”

Ann Coulter has a place in the media, as do Sean Hannity, Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Joe Scarborough and Rush Limbaugh. Hers is not a lofty perch, but there she is--getting her books published and air play on national television.

People like those mentioned above, help us keep our perspective--they force us to make decisions about what we truly believe--they keep us politically involved, and for that alone, they serve a purpose.

As much as I agree with themadfiddler, I have to assert that Ann Coulter continues to inspire me--certainly not in the way she would like, however.
 msquared
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:48:56 AM

Because I used to work in the prison system as an office assistant, majority of these convicts I worked around were raised without a father in the home.

Care to provide us with statistics backing up your belief?
 itechman63
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:12:44 AM
It's not that Coulter is wrong in her beliefs on the downsides of current society losing touch with traditional family values and isn't wrong in having a disdain for any glorification of such, why is it that extremists like Coulter, Hannity, and Limbaugh have to be so self righteous about everything?

There are ways to present viewpoints that spark discussion on topics and then there are the held to methods of these extremists that simply generate confrontation and hatred.
 prettygirl3
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:33:10 AM
Actually, she didn't blame single mothers - she blamed single motherhood. Broken families breed criminals. Culture and media glorifies single mother hood and is what is destroying society. She does not blame single mothers themselves, they are victims of the Left's psychology impressed upon them which forbids teaching young girls that life is generally easier when sex comes AFTER marriage, and instead tells them that all sex is always ok and consequence free. For the sake of the kids, we should be doing everything in our power to make single motherhood MORE difficult, because that might actually deter and prevent it. "Protecting single mothers" isn't in the constitution, and bilking taxpayers for every stupid sexual escapade is unfair.
 tallskier
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:10:42 AM
Hear, hear. Thank you, prettygirl!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 2:57:42 PM
Actually, she didn't blame single mothers - she blamed single motherhood

So suggesting that single mothers should give their childern up for adoption isn't attacking them for being single parents, because that's the way I saw it.
 427cammer
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 4:52:39 PM

I have no idea why this obnoxious demagogue is getting any airtime.

There are many in these forums who attract attention to their writing by attacking others or using shocking or vulgar language. Ann Coulter would be no different than these people. It would seem a large number of people have no interest in viewing calm, rational discussions.

I think that it is interesting to note that liberal media (such as the regular cast of The View seem to be) are no better for this behaviour than Coulter herself. They realize that attacking a calm reasoning conservative would portray themselves in a bad light. What do they do? They invite a loud, obnoxious, vulgar woman to their show... then they are viewed as heroes when they put her in her place. Coulter's success can be attributed to liberals as much as anything else.

I would like to know how you would make single motherhood "MORE difficult"

In today's world divorce rates are high. I blame this on divorce laws that have been brought in the last 40 years. I know several single mothers (with school age children) who don't work... or only work 10 to 20 hours a week. Divorce laws, and welfare, have made it possible for these women to survive in this lifestyle. Sure... children who were raised in an abusive home fifty years ago had a poor childhood. Probably still better off than the child who witnesses their mother participate in a numerous succession of relationships... each one filled with more screaming anger than the last. Children raised in a healthy two parent household are better off than children raised in a healthy one parent household. Period.

Maybe Murphy Brown isn't such a great role model for today's women. Maybe Dan Quayle wasn't an idiot (from viewing these forums, I'm a better than average speller, but I would have guessed potatoe.) The "You go girl!!" attitude that is so prevalent in today's world is more damaging than positive.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 6:48:42 PM
Has she been on Dr. Phil yet? I know of several occassions where he has recommended divorce in the interests of not raising children in a bad environment as a result of a bad male role model "father" or "stepfather."

That women are single mothers is not necessarily the choice of the woman. The father of those children might have been the one to either choose to leave or be such an awful influence that it was better to have him leave.

I was raised in a 2 parent home with 2 very dysfunctional parents and I do own responsibility for recovering from their mental, physical and emotional abuse and becoming a healthier adult. I did not leave my husband, he left me to marry an alcoholic rageaholic who did significant damage to my kids. However, they are now adults, I have taught them to take responsibility, recover and become healthier adults.

Single motherhood as a result of a broken relationship is a symptom of a deeper societal problem with the relationship skills and cultural support system for families by all members of society. It does not apply to those women who are in lesbian relationships or chose to be single mom's via artifical insemination. I'd challenge Coulter's statistics for those two groups.
 prettygirl3
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:20:02 PM
Actually, I am NOT promoting the idea that single mothers are responsible for crimes. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

I say that the media and society has created a monstrous idea that casual sex which results in single motherhood, is responsible. Making it more shameful to be found pregnant at 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and even 18 would be better than the alternative of abortions and children raising children. The norm these days is when a girl is having sex, gets pregnant, she is rewarded with a monthly government check, food stamps, section 8 housing, and the opportunity to go and do it all over again. There is no deterrant for unwed mothers anymore. She hasn't found love in the home, so she decides to bring a baby into the world, hoping it will give her the life she's fantasized about her whole life. Of course, when the child interfers with her social life, the child gets pushed aside, and mom's needs are met before the childs. If it's lucky enough, a grandparent is around to step in and give it the attention it is not getting from it's mother. And so the cycle repeats itself. Children are not being taught to abstain from a mindset of always having pleasure on demand, regardless what it is.

I see your solution is to just accept that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, so let's just stick our heads back in the sand and say, oh well... let's not put people down for not giving a crap about themselves or society. And God forbid we dare speak up about it and draw any attention to the fact.

The Leave it Beaver days NEED NOT be a thing of the past... and shame on you for even thinking the 'modern world' is better off because it's system promotes unwed mothers.

If the music industry would stop spitting out vulgar, demoralizing, and sexual explicit so called music, and there were less of it broadcast on TV, then maybe, just maybe, our children would have more than a snowball in hell's chance of making adulthood without a police record.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:24:41 PM
Ann Coulter is a woman?
Wow...

The things I learn on these forums never cease to amaze me.
 prettygirl3
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/15/2009 7:26:57 PM

I think most people would agree that, all other things being equal, raising children in a two-parent household is better than in a single-parent household. But sometimes things happen which are beyond a person's control. I have to say that I find your position on this subject especially odd considering that you are a single mother yourself. I have a question for you: if one of your kids grows up and commits a crime, will you be okay with society blaming you personally?

You are wrong, my children are being raised by their father and me, in the same house. We are just not man and wife, but we are still parents to our children. If one of them commits a crime, it won't be because either of us neglected them.
 geeleebee
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/15/2009 8:50:01 PM

they are victims of the Left's psychology impressed upon them which forbids teaching young girls that life is generally easier when sex comes AFTER marriage, and instead tells them that all sex is always ok and consequence free.

What a thoughtless statement.

As a member of the 'Left', I would like to be clear about something: In my 26 years in public education, I have never told any student--male or female--that sex is "always ok and consequence free..."
I raised two sons who were given information about the physical aspect of sex as well as the psychological, emotional, and spiritual aspects. Not once did I give them the idea the sex was their right.

In light of Bristol Palin's unplanned pregnancy, and given that her mother is on the 'Right' and advocates abstinence only sex education, it is abundantly clear that this is not a Left or Right issue, but an issue where our children need to be protected and educated. Period.
 427cammer
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 10:37:11 PM

Heh amazing watching the usual suspects fall over themselves to defend this hateful woman.

Seeing as how you have quoted me, I'll be presumptious enough to believe you are including me among "the usual suspects". I called Coulter loud, obnoxious and vulgar... so I'm hardly defending her.

I did, however, address a couple of points brought up by another poster. If you don't like the direction this thread is going then you should have pointed out to mountain biker 88 that this thread is a "Ann Coulter bashing thread only... we don't want to talk about single mothers."

If people talked to each other the way that Ann criticizes people she doesn't like (She really likes calling them fags) she'd have long since been booted off.

There have been quite a few people posting here who have been booted off (at least for a period of time) at one time or another... including myself. Are your hands clean?

Have you no interest in discussing matters of substance... or... are you only here for the conservative bashing threads?
 427cammer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 11:33:35 PM

I'm assuming you're referring to no-fault divorce. Do you really think we need to go back to the days when we allowed judges to decide if someone's marriage is worth saving. I don't know about you, but I believe the people who are best qualified to say a marriage failed are the people involved in it, not the state.

No, I'm not just talking about no-fault laws; splitting assets, custody, child support and alimony also factor in largely, at least in my opinion. Again, just my opinion, there is a substantial percentage of women who regard divorce, unreal expectations or not, as a stepping stone towards greater financial freedom.

Or maybe I'm mostly wrong. Maybe in today's culture with movies and television playing a major role in people's leisure time we are all expecting fairy tale romances and real world expectations are thrown out the window. Speaking for myself, if I were ever to get married... I would be hoping for a happily ever after type of life.

Divorces used to be rare, and, for what ever reason, they are not anymore.

I also fail to see the logic of forcing parents to stick together in a loveless marriage just for the sake of the kids. As tragic as divorce is, sometimes it's the best option.

I don't think that people should have to be trapped in loveless marriages. I think that when divorce was not an easy option, most couples worked harder at keeping their home happy. When I see 70, 80 or 90 year old couples together today I am sure most faced more hardships than most of today's younger couples. And I'm also sure that most of these old couples are glad they were able to persevere through those hardships. And I bet that their children are happier too.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 5:48:55 AM
Well, being a divorced father who raised his 3 kids solo, I wonder if there is any stats out there that tell anything about that side of things. It never seems to come up much, I guess it must be a rarity. But do I wish that my ex would have taken a more hands on approach, especially with my daughter. It wasn't like the oppurtunity wasn't given.
All I can say is I did the best I could with what tools I had to work with, which admittedly wasn't much, as my childhood was very broken, but I did try my best not to let those influences creep into my own children's rearing. I can't guarantee it didn't happen on occasion, but time will tell if the job I did was sufficient.

I'm not really a fan of Coulter, but when I do flip through one of her books, I tend to look at them as satire, regardless if that was the intention or not (same with, say Al Franken). I think she's writes from an inflamatory point of view to ruffle feathers. And she rarely misses that target, as viewed by many of the posts I've read thus far. I do, however side with her on this topic, because I do think my children would be better off had both parents been in the picture. Let's say I agree with the message but not the
messenger.
 Wildman46
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/16/2009 6:21:36 AM

I blatantly lied. Really? I think you just slandered me.

Lighten up lady, if calling someone a liar in these forums was a tort, then thousands upon thousands would be getting served papers. Relax, take a deep breath and unknot your Victoria secrets, it's not the end of the world, just a topic being discussed in a public forum.
 msquared
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:34:48 AM

all i can add is that the rate of teen pregnancy has increased dramatically since the introduction of so-called "sex education."

This is because since the fifties, each new generation of parents have been increasingly less responsible for their kids.

You noted that Asians are making better parents. These Asians are going through the same sex education classes as everyone else, so this doesn't support your argument. The difference is, Asians tend to value families more than the rest of us.
 427cammer
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 8:44:08 AM

Lighten up lady, if calling someone a liar in these forums was a tort, then thousands upon thousands would be getting served papers. Relax, take a deep breath and unknot your Victoria secrets, it's not the end of the world, just a topic being discussed in a public forum.

When a term like "blatantantly lied" is being slung around so carelessly it is sometimes hard to distinguish exactly who it is that has their shorts in a bunch. And she is right... she never once made mention of what sex education involves.

But you are right as well... no need to get the lawyers involved. I always thought tort was a type of french pastry...
 cncgandolf
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 9:31:39 AM
"You are wrong, my children are being raised by their father and me, in the same house. We are just not man and wife, but we are still parents to our children. If one of them commits a crime, it won't be because either of us neglected them."

Perhaps not. But, I can gaurantee you that a lifestyle of a man and woman living together outside of wedlock would cause Coulter to tear you down as much as she tears down all other lifestyles that don't fit her narrow minded view of the world. Also, you can plan on the fact that your role modeling will impact the way your offspring have relationships in their adult lives. How it will impact is up to the child.
 CountIbli
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/16/2009 9:41:17 AM

But you are right as well... no need to get the lawyers involved. I always thought tort was a type of french pastry...

No, that's a tart...which brings us back to Ann Coulter.

Sure, she's an idiot, but she's basically correct about single motherhood. More often than not, single motherhood is not something that happens to you, but something you choose. Why should I have to pay for the bad decision making skills of single mothers?
 TimPommell
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 10:54:26 AM

Perhaps not. But, I can gaurantee you that a lifestyle of a man and woman living together outside of wedlock would cause Coulter to tear you down as much as she tears down all other lifestyles that don't fit her narrow minded view of the world.

Sure, she's an idiot, but she's basically correct about single motherhood. More often than not, single motherhood is not something that happens to you, but something you choose. Why should I have to pay for the bad decision making skills of single mothers?

Why is it that "progressive" people pigeon hole all who disagree with them as "narrow minded" or "idiots" isn't that the very antithesis of progressive thinking? When the Red team held power, dissent was promoted as true patriotism, yet now that the Blue team is in control the goal seems to be to squash all dissenting opinions… Where I come from that’s called hypocrisy.

I find Ann Coulter to be extremely abrasive, yet I agree with her perspective completely on many issues. HOWEVER, for the most part I do not approve of her delivery methods, but then again, if she promoted the left position rather than her own, then she could be one of the nicer people on Air America. I guess the goal is to eliminate the messenger, thereby eliminating the message…

Comrade Pelosi, Comrade Reid, Comrade Obama, welcome to Washington!
 prettygirl3
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/16/2009 11:51:29 AM
Perhaps not. But, I can gaurantee you that a lifestyle of a man and woman living together outside of wedlock would cause Coulter to tear you down as much as she tears down all other lifestyles that don't fit her narrow minded view of the world. Also, you can plan on the fact that your role modeling will impact the way your offspring have relationships in their adult lives. How it will impact is up to the child.
FYI their father, (my ex husband) and I live in the same house only for the sake of the children. It is more convenient for both of us this way and better for the children. I believe Ms Coulter would applaud the fact we are putting the children's needs before our own. A fact many here may not understand. It's called sacrifice.
 geeleebee
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/16/2009 5:43:21 PM
From OpEdNews:

We have a term for "Children of divorce," writes Coulter, "I call them, future strippers."

Currently, our 19-year old niece is living with us while she attends college. She is the child of an unwed mother.
Contrary to what Coulter asserts, my niece has a goal of earning a degree and then joining the Peace Corp--a far cry from stripping.
Her mother has done a wonderful job--Justine is vibrant, bright, and funny, and is smart enough to realize that she needs to have a solid education in order to achieve her goals. She puts the lie to Coulter's words.

Ann Coulter is an ugly human being devoid of compassion and grace.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.