Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Folk Music....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Byrd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Folk Music....Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Anyone else here love Peter, Paul and Mary?, Bob Dylan,? EmmyLou Harris, ?Joan Baez, ?Anyone miss John Denver besides me? Like Blue Grass? I grew up in the MidWest and every Summer we would spend acouple weeks in Eagle River Wisconsion. My Uncle Denny who was an activst/ attorney representing United Farmworkers and Cesar Chavez in Salinas, Ca. would bring his family wife Jean and his 3 kids and his folk guitar and he would play and sing for all of us he had a beautiful voice..My Sister married a fella who's Father played backup for Elvis, and he also played folk and blues we had some beautiful family renuions...I sure miss those days when our family was one. Times were hard but love was pure..How about Woody and Son Guthrie? Ronnie Cox the actor, who still does concerts and can be found on the internet..Most of my friends are not into the same music as I and I get ribbed for it alot especally John Denver they sing "Thank God, I'm a Country Boy!" At me..I miss John Denver he had a beautiful voice..I wish they had a Folk channel on my Direct T.V. It would be that and Hallmark all the time..Remember Hee Haw? Now those were the Good Old Days!
 Avalon96
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/18/2009 5:21:00 AM
I went to the Atlantic Folk Festival, on Moxom farm just outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia, the last 3 years it was held 79, 80,81, .
It was a wonderful experience, got to see some wonderful talent, such as Valdy in79, Pete Seeger & Arlo Guntrie in 80, and John Prine in 81.
Great music in a great atmosphere.
Lots of other talent as well, Ryans Fancy, Wonderful Grand Band, Buddy and The Boys, Rita McNeil, John Allen Cameron, Chris Hennessey, just to name a few.
Everybody was free to relax and bring their own whatever to party without interference.
Oh the good ole days, 10,000 people able to enjoy themselves unsupervised for a weekend festival.
 jettlightning
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/19/2009 2:00:02 PM
I love all that stuff BYRD! Thought I'd give a listen the other day to one of John Denver's final hits called "Eagles And Horses," don't know if you remember it, Still enjoy it but I much prefer earlier material. Always felt that "The Eagle And The Hawk" defined his life. I assume you're a huge Byrds fan as I am also. I listen to a wide range of music and surely these artists you mention are included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tok5p7Xt7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7qEvXBW_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cINH9yob4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnS9M03F-fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO0gSJGJ7Fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LoBwkVLVKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2JEGLD0-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN3rN59GlWw

Enjoy
 Byrd
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/19/2009 5:18:25 PM
I have the BYRDS greatest hits and I found a three cd set of John Denver in a thrift store along with Jimmy Buffet, and a Newport festival some other old folk collections..If I have to sell everything to get food next month I won't be selling any folk, blues, or old country stuff..One of my greatest memories is thumbing down route 30 on a hot Summers day over 30 years ago back in the 70's finding a beautiful leather cowboy hat at the side of the road, then drinking crystal clear water from the Tippycanoe River and singing "Take Me Home Country Roads.." At the top of my lungs..I had a voice then now I talk like Clint EastWood..
 PurePrairieGirl
Msg: 5
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/19/2009 6:31:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your memories, gentlemen. There are still "folkies" around. In fact a guy was just talking on another thread here about Seeger's performance last night in D.C.
Speaking of the Byrds, I heard Chris Hillman and Herb Peterson for the first time in October. As you'd expect, they were terrific! As I didn't know to expect, for the first six or seven songs Hillman played mandolin. That was heavenly!
 musi5
Msg: 6
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:57:13 PM
I'm a bluegrass fan.........as far as folk, I like John Prine, Emmylou and a few others
 Orion67
Msg: 7
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:52:32 AM

I miss John Denver he had a beautiful voice

I miss John Denver too. I once went to see him in concert. Sometimes I will watch reruns of that movie called Oh, God with John and George Burns.

Anyone else here love Peter, Paul and Mary?,

I love P, P and Mary. I also love watching the Byrds music videos on Youtube.
I also like the old doo-wop music of the 50s and music from the 60s.
 Byrd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/22/2009 11:26:34 AM
I have to admit I'm not very knowledgable about all Folk music but I remember those good old Christmases many years ago and my Uncle just jamming away..I never had the patience to learn how to play I was too young for Graham Parsons and I missed the Flying Burrito Brothers..I just have cd's haven't gotton into the I-pod yet maybe 20 years after I'm dead..I do have a Graham Parrsons cd...Grand Theft Parsons, great movie..
 Marc_the_Crepe
Msg: 9
Folk Music....
Posted: 1/31/2009 8:38:00 AM
Simon & Garfunkel tops my list. Together they had an amazing sound. The Kingston Trio are also really cool.
 Diva77
Msg: 10
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/3/2009 9:38:56 AM
To name a few...

Ani Difranco
Martyn Joseph is a fantastic lyricist
Joni Mitchell has always been a favourite
Lorreena McKennitt is considered folk music to some

Those are my top favs, drawing a blank to names at the moment.
 frametheissue
Msg: 11
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:03:36 AM
I still take in some folk music from time to time,Valdy and Matt Anderson in the last year.But if I had to pick my favourite folk artist performance it would have to be Roy Forbes(BIM).I saw him about 20 yrs. ago at the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival.I didn't know his music at the time but it has stayed with me ever since.A powerful acoustic guitar player and although an unusual voice he really knew how to use it.
 WindRoper
Msg: 12
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:52:38 AM
Lotta folks are referring to Folk or blends thereof as "Americana," especially if it has a Blues feel to it IMHO. Some artists I enjoy are: Guy Clark, the late Townes Van Zandt, Rodney Crowell, EmmyLou Harris, Steve Earle, John Prine, David Alan Coe, Keith Sykes, Arlo Guthrie (and his daddy), Jack Ingram, Jimmy LaFave, Paul Thorn, Todd Schnider, Hayes Carll, and Jesse Kahn (a local artist but he did recently release a new album).
OKC is fortunate to have a folk-music-loving man who has gone to considerable expense to open and keep open a small venue featuring lesser known artists. It's called The Blue Door and performances run about $20/head or he sells season passes. They do a tribute to Woody every year with lots of artists showing up. I haven't been there in quite a while but I have appreciated the tips I've received about other artists I might enjoy... and they're usually right. LOL!
 Byrd
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 10:43:29 AM
The movie about Woody Guthries life comes on AMC every once in awhile anyone ever see that movie I can't seem to recall the name of it sonofaGUN! "Bound for Glory" 1976 Good flick..Another artist I love although he may be considered more Country Gene Autry..
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 14
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 11:30:25 AM
Some songs I like:

Joan Baez, "Diamonds and Rust"
Arlo Guthrie, "City of New Orleans"
Bob Dylan, "Tangled up in Blue"
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 15
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 11:41:15 AM
I love most music, but "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor is a song I would like played at my funeral. ('But I always thought I would see you again...')

Ahhhhhh, yes, I would marry the man who sings "Rocky Mountain High" to me while we're driving over Independence Pass.

'China Doll' by Grateful Dead.

My brother is a pretty good guitarist and the rest of us sing pretty well, so when we all get together we sing old rock tunes (Santana, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc). Our next show will be in Sarasota in August!!

I remember being at the country club in Montgomery Alabama for a golf tournament, and not one but TWO of the golfers had Hee Haw pants. Granpa, wut's fer suppa?

OOOH--And Gordon Lighfoot!!
 Byrd
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 4:19:31 PM
I love Gordon LightFoot saw him in concert here in the late 80's have horrible aniexty and went anyway have Cords Gold one and two..I have James Taylor on tape. Most everything else on CD Coulda shot myself two weeks ago passed up a treasury of 60's folk including the Smothers Brothers on several cds was going to pick it up the next day but someone else got it..I got the dead at Cow Palace 1976, and Dylans greatest hits as well as Peter, Paul, and Mary, Joan Baez, EmmyLou...Love em all.. Cheers! And Neil Young.
 junipermoon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 4:29:55 PM
great thread!

i love the kingston trio, the chad mitchell trio, the clancy brothers, pete seeger, the guthries (i saw arlo twice), peter, paul and mary, simon & garfunkel, joan baez, and the source of it all ~ the weavers. they paved the way for nearly all folk artists we currently enjoy. they were truly remarkable.

i miss john denver too. i remember the program he did with jacques cousteau. amazing stuff, there.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 18
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 7:09:09 PM
Gordon Lightfoot and James Taylor. I like them, too. I didn't think to mention them. Fire and Rain, Mexico, Sundown, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
 Diva77
Msg: 19
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/5/2009 7:43:59 PM
Yes totally James Taylor, and Carole King. Great icons.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 20
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/6/2009 8:36:49 AM
Hey, does Neil Young count? I want to count Neil Young.
 OldFolkie
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:03:53 PM
Cassa, Neil Young certainly counts! Ask him about his musical influences as he was growing up and you will hear many of the names folks in this thread have listed.

I've been a "folky" since I was 15 or so....a very, very long time ago. In the early sixties, when I was learning to play and sing, it was all about PP&M, the Kingston Trio, the Chad Mitchell Trio (did you know that John Denver, at the time using his real name of John Deutschendorf, was a member of the CMT?...his first recording gig!).

I still sing and play and try my damnedest to keep this music alive. Sometimes I think it's working. And there are still some fantastic singer/songwriters active today. Tom Russell, John Gorka, Eliza Gilkeyson...the "folk" is still alive.

Oh...no one has mentioned my all time favorite singer/songwriter...Stan Rogers. He was killed in a plane crase 25 years ago...and his music is still vibrant and alive. Give yourself a treat and find some of his songs on YouTube.

Byrd, there's an XM/Sirius radio channel on DirecTV (I think it's 312) called The Village which is 24/7 Folk, old and new...good listening!
 ThirdCharm
Msg: 22
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/13/2009 9:37:36 AM
I play many folk rock songs in addition to classic rock and current rock. Love it.
 Byrd
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/13/2009 12:56:00 PM
Thank You, "The Village" I'll check that out..The movie "Bound for Glory" was on the other night..I fell asleep watching it..Seems like in the Winter time I fall asleep really early don't have a heater either getting under the covers gets me every time. Thank You for sharing everybody keep those names comming so we could surround ourselves with good folk music for years...Cheers! Byrd
 Byrd
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Folk Music....
Posted: 2/15/2009 7:54:59 PM
I went back to that thrift store today and found all the cd's someone hid from me the ones I thought someone bought.... They were hiding and I took them and bought them 9 Time/Life cd's in perfect condition all folk music for 8 bucks...heh,heh,heh,heh, Someones going to be upset.. The Smothers Bros..Burl Ives and others hundreds of others....Has anyone out there heard of Matthew Lindahl? He was on Nashville Star awhile back and I think he's a fine folk singer got one of his cd's too had to send away for it...That's what they get for selling me a shitty washing machine...
 dantm
Msg: 25
Folk Music....
Posted: 5/15/2009 2:04:16 AM
I'm a pretty big Phil Ochs fan. That's some good stuff. I was also listening to bluegrassradio.org a tonne before they shut down, so I love bluegrass, even though I don't really know any names, haha.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Folk Music....