Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Patullo Bridge... a suspected firebug disrupts traffic in the lower m      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 3
Patullo Bridge... a suspected firebug disrupts traffic in the lower mainland.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It looks like it will be closed for a month or longer. It was announced on the evening news. Now, we will have more commuter chaos. People are being advised to car pool or take the bus. Translink says they will put more buses on the road. If you ask me, it all adds up to frustration.
 samadongshi2
Msg: 4
Patullo Bridge... a suspected firebug disrupts traffic in the lower mainland.
Posted: 1/18/2009 10:35:03 PM
yes, thanks OP for posting this one for me as I didn't watch the news today.
Hope work will be understanding running late as I need my car for work. Gonna be a hassle and this is one of the bridges I sometimes take into work.
Good luck with the bus system in Surrey.. on most occasions it isn't the best 30 minutes in between buses to me does not constitute PEAK times, never mind what off peak times mean... running only once an hour... after a long day at work makes pple irritable. Wonder why?
 samadongshi2
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/19/2009 1:09:04 PM
maybe us Surrey pple can get together to plan to commute together ... a school of fish travelling by cars... interesting concept.
I was fortunate enuf NOT having to deal with traffic from Surrey as I came from the valley and by passed it all together, however it was JUST for today.

Tomorrow will be interesting regardless how early I wake up...
My only salvation is the fact that I am leaving outta town Monday for an all inclusive to a white sandy beaches with azure blue waters!
 4x4+geek
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 2:59:36 PM
While the debate regarding replacement/upgrading/removing the bridge has continued for more than 20 years, the maintenance has been postponed and the bridge has deteriorated dreadfully. A repair & repainting project that was commenced about 2004 budgeted at almost $10 million dollars hasn't kept up with the deterioration.
http://www.translink.bc.ca/About_TransLink/News_Releases/news05040401.asp

IMHO the Province shuffled-off the responsibility for operating the Pattullo Bridge to Translink so it could distance itself from this chronic political problem. Since then, Translink and the gov't have blamed each-other for the many problems resulting from insufficient funding: improper operation and maintenance; and, nonexistant upgrading, addition or replacement. Tolling and "P3" political games have been used to divert the public's attention from the misappropriation gasoline taxes with which the users should have already paid, many times over, for the replacement of this bridge. So incompetent has been the operation of this bridge, that the inadequate, broken chain-link fence that did nothing to deter the bums long-known to be living under the bridge, was not upgraded, nor were sprinklers provided, to offer basic protection from the very predictable result with which we must now deal by forking out more of our personal time & money.

A recent study commissioned by Translink recommends replacement of the bridge with a new one immediately to the west:
http://www.translink.bc.ca/Plans/Public_Consultation/Pattullo_Corridor_Study.asp

http://www.translink.bc.ca/files/pdf/Pattullo_Executive_Summary_REV2.pdf

The last news report I heard was that this is most likely to be completed 10 years in the future. By that time, there might once again be an inter-urban train into Brownsville (Scott Rd Station) from Sullivan Station in Surrey, or from even Langley. Expect Translink to do their best to stonewall this.
http://www.fvhrs.org/index.htm

I wouldn't be surprised if, lo and behold, they miraculously found that the 60 feet of damaged bridge could be replaced in a week. This however, would require the political will.

Good news: Skytrain didn’t break down this morning.
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/19/2009 4:58:24 PM
Number one,,,dispite Dokota's worries,,,the Patullo is/was structually sound. This bridge is inspected more than enough during the year. Don't think the goverments are not worried about it,,,they are, they have been, and they always will until it is replaced.

If there is anymore consideration of leaving this bridge shutdown until a new one is built,,,,all you had to do was witness the traffic volume on 152 street,,northbound today.
I don't think I saw traffic NOT backed up any closer than 102 ave during the day. And it will get worse before better,,,think "accident" on Port Mann or Alex Fraser. It's gonna get silly.

The bridge needs replacing that is a given. But to design a new bridge, while the old is still active,,,plus it MUST align with the new perimiteer road that is just getting started,,,,,is a feat in itself. Then throw in the soil conditions,,,property gains, etc and you will realize it is not just a matter of dropping a new bridge down and "poof",,,there's a new bridge. It takes a lot more than that. "Joe public" only sees the visual work,,,never the whole story or the whole job,,thus "joe's" comments on the simplicity of it all.

All I am hoping is that with the replacement of the burnt structure,,,other problems won't be uncovered,,,but if I'm guessing,,,I'm thinking there will be. One rule of construction is that it costs quite a bit more to build and fix around existing. But because the Golden Ear's is not complete,,,and funding for projects is gonna be a tad tight for a bit,,,the bridge MUST be fixed as quickly as possible and be reopened.
This is what will happen if your infastructure is behind the times and it is here in the lowermainland,,,,like 10-20 years behind. Infastructure will never,,,NEVER catch up to the everchanging population here. A bonus for me,,,but not for the majority.
 Xavery
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:07:28 PM
So at the end of the day, what do we learn? It seems people did everything but take public transit, which makes one wonder why. I will hazard a guess. Because even with extra buses on the roads, translink is seriously lacking. If politicians were serious about reducing gridlock, they would pool some serious money into a seriously lacking transit system. Most people I know will do anything but have a public transit experience.
 Montevideo
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/20/2009 12:48:12 AM
I am glad I never use that bridge.

Traffic delays must be horrendous.
 Roger Charles Hollanger
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/20/2009 1:13:14 AM
Traffic delays must be horrendous.

Nightmare on 152nd. What a f*ckin' p*ss off!
Bad scene bad scene. I hope they nab those vandalizing little b*st*rds
 BonnieB
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:21:22 PM
Yep.. I just read that as well... wow.. after only 1 week .. apparently they scarfed some materials intended for the Canada Line and their quote is:

It was fortunate that officials were able to find a bridge structure that was basically dropped into place, he said.

hmmm.... I don't think I'll be the first in line to test it tomorrow morning

B.
 Walts
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:54:56 AM
Don't ask why I am driving around Surrey this early in the morning, but with that I can tell you that as of 4:30 a.m. the bridge has been OPENED!!!! The replaced span looks good and already some going across, so the test has already begun,lol.

Good work on getting this thing replaced as fast as they did. Finding that replacement span already made up was a bonus in itself.
 ~CARL LINGUS69~
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 8:44:24 AM
It just goes too show that there is the knowledge ,expertise ,and good workers all willing too do their part without the Federal government bringing in foreign workers who are being exploited ,a special thanks goes too the workers who worked around the clock too get this bridge open.
 4x4+geek
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Patullo Bridge... a suspected firebug disrupts traffic in the lower mainland.