Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > T.V. and Hollywood`s effect on physical requirements.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Write Time
Msg: 2
view profile
History
T.V. and Hollywood`s effect on physical requirements.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Nah. I think most of us can distinguish between the TV world and the real world. Real people still like real people.
 forforumfun
Msg: 9
T.V. and Hollywood`s effect on physical requirements.
Posted: 1/18/2009 3:52:39 PM
The one that's really pathetic is "The Bachelor." They claim that they're trying to find this guy his "true love," yet all the women are a bunch of plastic whores. What if the guy's real love is someone who is-dare I say-normal looking? No wonder only one couple from that show has actually made it (and he was actually a normal guy so I'm sure that's why).
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/18/2009 4:20:40 PM
Man, y'all are hatin' on the pretty women on TV!

Well, the men I know don't by and large look like the MEN in these scenarios, either. I have a hard time trusting men with prettier skin than mine. And fake white teeth. And $150 hair cuts. I don't know, maybe I'm shallow, but I like my men "real" (except-- without the farts would be AWESOME, God!).
 SAguy_06
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/18/2009 4:47:06 PM
OP~ is a 7' woman from Moose Pass Alaska...Idont think the Boobs are the only thing Fake around here...
 LuvTravl
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2009 5:22:05 PM

Dont you feel like Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world?

What an AWESOME quote! Thanks for that....
 scorpiomover
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2009 7:36:01 PM
I remember when Dean Cain first took his shirt off in Superman, and all the women I knew gasped. Gave me a big feeing of inadequacy. Granted, I had one to start with, but it made it much worse.

FYI, when programmes mention about men's eating disorders, like men with bulimia, men with anorexia, and men who are getting cosmetic surgery, it's skyrocketing compared to what it used to be before all these Kens started showing up half-naked on TV. Just saying.

If I had to choose one actress to look like it would be Jennifer Garner from Alias.
Damn good choice, too.
 jojoaus
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 1:21:59 AM
[/OP~ is a 7' woman from Moose Pass Alaska...Idont think the Boobs are the only thing Fake around here...]

Errrrrrrrr... she's kidding... Check out her other posts and her posting history
BTW desert wildflower.. marry me!! I love taller women... lmfaoooooo
 BlahGrim
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 1:58:50 PM
I was wondering the other day at the correlation between increasing obesity rates in the US and the ideal female and male image becoming thinner and more muscular. Almost seems like we are disgusted with ourselves and seeking an opposing unhealthy/unrealistic image. The muscular thing isn't exactly new for guys, but it may be more severe since most males aren't physical laborers any longer.
 tongue-untied
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 3:31:07 PM
In my opinion, everyone tries to look better than they actually do... It's called being single in the 21st century.... we are all guilty at one point or another of putting on the game face to impress someone... just to look attractive to the opposite sex...

But then there is the day after the night before....lol
 RoadTrip3500
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:24:10 PM
This all started long before People, Entertainment Tonight, and The National Enquirer. For those of us over 40, think back to junior high and high school - we were programmed to believe the "ideals" were the football captain and head cheerleader... everyone else was second-class. As for Hollywood, Frankie and Annette on the beach were the couple to strive for, even into the 1970s.

The problem isn't teenagers; every generation of teens has their fads. The problems is the people who refuse to accept their age and/or their physique. The women who get boob jobs because it's a lot easier to add to your chest than subtract from your hips. The guys who stuck with the preppy look 2 decades too long because it gives them the "country club" aura. Women who think they're still slim/hip enough to wear whatever Cher has on, even though they're all well over 50 and look ridiculous if not downright scary in low-hip pants and bare stomachs. The older guy who doesn't realize women still drool over Sean Connery primarily because of what he was, not what he is.

Personally, I could care less about what celebrities are up to, and can't stand the fact that the media assumes I know who these people are just by their face or first name. I have no desire to emulate any of them. Hell, I've seen cashiers at Sears who look better than some of these "celebrities".
 RoadTrip3500
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:13:02 PM

Not all celebrities are fake.

My cousin is a successful and very classically-beautiful model, and in her magazine photos she looks basically like she does in real life, with just a normal face of makeup on.

I differentiate models from celebrities. I have had the pleasure of meeting models over the years; one I met back in the 90s was positively stunning. But that was a part-time job for her - her day job was in an office. That's far from "celebrity" status. Being a celebrity is all about the fame and publicity - if a magazine or catalog model doesn't reveal who he/she is, then it's simply a profession, and that sounds like your cousin. A successful model doesn't necessarily have to be a famous one.
 Cogie36
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:17:34 PM
Wash off their makeup and they look just like everyone else.....( some are worse)
and they put their pants on one leg at a time just like we do.....
 RoadTrip3500
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:24:01 PM

But she's hardly a household name, if that's what you mean...

Exactly what I mean Or to look at it another way, Alex Rodriguez and the backup outfielder for the Kansas City Royals are both major-league baseball players... but A-Rod is a celebrity.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:59:42 PM
Media (any media) changes society's veiw of beautiful all the time. So we are into a period of thin and plastic? It will change.
If you look at history the mass concept of beauty has changed quite abit.
-To be fit and agile was beautiful-when it meant you were more likely to survive.
-To be fat and pale was attractive-it meant you could afford food and not have to work.
-To be thin and tan was beauty-when it meant you were wealthy enough not to have
to work indoors all the time.
-To be curvy and soft meant beauty-when you could afford to be active, but still could
afford to eat well.

And now to be Uber thin w/ lots of "corrections" is beauty-because you can afford to
have the surgery done and the supplements to keep you from falling over starved.

I think the media may have some influence, but people still have to take responsibilty for their own reality.
 compleat_man
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:05:25 AM
Hollywood kills morals. Don't watch it.

Great advice!

you DO realize that by watching these shows (to get disgusted at them, and hate them) you are supporting the very thing you say that you 'hate' ?

and, what is your suggested "solution" ?

do you think these shows should be 'forced' by legislation to star Roseanne Barr type women and Tom Arnold type men?

(stipulated that men have to be at least 25 % body fat, and women, 40%) ?

the ratings would SO bomb..very few people would watch them.

I bet even the OP would turn away from them, then. (nothing to 'hate' on)

no matter how much you want to protest, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the new "ideal" or "fantasy types" will become the trailer park look - 300 -lb. women and 40050-lb, men -those are "real people" right?

as Cervelo Chick said above: the media is constantly dissing women for being too skinny..

hardly anyone likes the "anorexic" look (Nicole Ritchie, Calista Flockhart, et al)

OR the "meth-diet look" (e.g. Amy Winehouse..)

but a toned athletic body..YES! yum!

rolls of fat? no, not going to be the most 'attractive' 'ideal' type..not any time soon!@

maybe for "rarity" value alone, the fit/trim/athletic look will become more valued..

If I want to see women with bags of fat, I can go to the mall..don't have to tune in to a TV show.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > T.V. and Hollywood`s effect on physical requirements.