Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Quitting smoking      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lady678
Msg: 3
Quitting smoking Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
My Mom quit with Chantix a little over a year ago, she has no issues, other than the getting used to be a non smoker. She never had any side affects at all. She reccomends it to everyone. Try it, but you have to be serious about quitting.. Good Luck.
 Snapington
Msg: 4
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 11:18:04 AM
I quit cold turkey four years ago still not smoking and never will again. I still hang out with friends who smoke like fiends. All it takes is desire and not having the addiction gene, lucky me. Good luck with it.
 sayalla
Msg: 8
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 3:27:58 PM
I quit smoking cold turkey three months ago. Drinking lots of ice cold water helps with the cravings and so do sugar free cough drops. Good luck.
 normaldude
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 5:26:39 PM
way to go people! remember that you will taste much better when you french kiss with your partner!!!! and now that they have proven even "third hand" smoke(particles left on clothes , hair and any surfaces) are affecting others there has never been a better time to quit that sh1t!
 Hozo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 6:06:37 PM
I quit in 1986, and what worked for me was bags and bags of Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.
They are very strong flavoured and have a similar sensation of that of menthol cigarettes in your mouth and air passages. They occupy and distract you, which tricks your cravings somewhat.
Inhaling air through your mouth with a Wint-O-Green on your tounge sends that sensation down your throat and into your lungs, much like inhaling. I ate them 24/7 for several weeks. They are only a few calories each so eat as many as you can handle.
 monalee1
Msg: 12
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:03:16 PM
hi, congratulations for being on the road to health... I would suggest taking up yoga, breathe clean air into your lungs...I have heard of people cutting small straws to draw air into their lungs.... raw sunflower seeds have something in them that curbs the cravings and it will keep you doing that hand mouth motion... remind yourself of the truth of the matter, smoking causes disease, it smells and yellows your teeth and it ages us.. never lie and say it is a relaxing break, you will soon be relaxing in your grave... I prayed to Jesus to free me from its grip and since I was asking for something good, my prayers were instantly answered... blessings for continued success, in 7 yrs your lungs will be as if you had NEVER smoked in your life, amazing.... very warmly Mona
 *Sassy Redhead*
Msg: 13
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:16:31 PM
I had to change my whole life routine. Stop doing those things that I associated with smoking such as my morning cup o tea and stopped drinking alcohol for several years.

Use one of those squishy stress relief balls to keep in your hands. Go to a toy/novelty store to find little tactile puzzels or toys to keep your hands busy. I liked silly putty or play doh.

One of the things that worked for me was every day I would wake up and say "today I choose not to smoke" it was my mantra and I still use it sometimes when I get the urge. I haven't had a cigarette since December 31, 1996. What really helped me to quit smoking was getting pregnant. Is that an option (just kidding)?

Good luck on your quitting smoking. It is a hard habit to break. I know that, even now, I can't have one drag off a cig or I will go back to smoking two packs a day.
 NORTY01
Msg: 17
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/20/2009 2:12:57 PM
Funny thing about X cigarrette smokers, they are the biggest opponents to smoke...once they truely "kick the addiction."

You'll begin to taste food again. Your sense of smell/taste will become more acute.
If it weren't for taste, you might as well eat dirt. (Come to think of it, an ashtray resembles this...)
 Ticketoride
Msg: 20
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/21/2009 12:53:06 AM
I used Nicotine Gum. Quitting was completely painless.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:34:37 AM
This Friday will make one month since my last cigarette.

My technique was to spend about a week cutting down before the quit. I cut down by eliminating all the 'automatic' smokes, driven by habit rather than any real craving, and then after a couple of days every time I did feel a craving I'd tell myself "just wait a half hour, then if you still feel the urge, go for it". That got me down to 3-4 smokes a day in the course of a week from the nearly pack a day habit I had going.

Then when the time came, I convened a committee meeting of all my body parts. I told them "some of you are going to fight this at first, but ultimately you're all going to love the results. Lungs, you'll enjoy better working conditions right away. Brain, you're going to be the hardest to convince, I know, but trust me, life will be better on the other side. Heart, muscles, and the rest of you, you'll all thank me for making this decision. Let's all help each other out to get past the hard parts of this."

On December 23, 2008, I threw away my remaining cigs. I hadn't planned on doing it that particular day. I just reached a point where I decided "now is the time" and went for it. Ever since, whenever I feel the urge, I go back inside my body and convene another quick meeting of body parts. "This is going to be good, guys. Stick with me. Some of you can already feel the benefits, right?"

Of course, it also helps that I've started seeing a wonderful woman who is supportive of my effort without nagging and reminds me frequently how much she enjoys kissing a mouth that doesn't taste like an ashtray.

But I've quit for a woman before, and the problem there is that if problems ever arise in the relationship, it's too easy to use that as an excuse for having 'just one' cigarette. This time, although I'm enjoying the extra affection, I'm framing the effort as "I'm quitting for me and all my body parts."

Speaking of body parts, I've certainly noticed no drop in sex drive. Quite the opposite, but that could be due to other developments in my life.

Congrats to all who have quit successfully. Good luck to all embarking on or contemplating the effort. It's worth it!

Dave
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:46:42 AM
I quit over a year ago.

I cut back gradually by writing down each cigarette I smoked (time). Then each day I'd add more and more time between cigarettes. Of course it helped that while at work, I was so doggone busy that I didn't have time for a break (or lunch) so I didn't smoke the entire time I was at work. I'd smoke on the way home from work, but never did smoke in my house.

I find I do not want to be around it (in bars) because I don't like the smell it leaves on my clothes and in my hair. I have not turned into a "smoke nazi" either ... just generally don't look for friends who do smoke.

When I get a scent of those who do ... as they walk by, I think ... "Oh Dear ... I used to smell like that ... YUK!!!"

Good luck to all who are quitting and congratulations to all who have accomplished it.

I know I like myself a lot more now that I am done with it.
 tallshyman
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 2:51:24 PM
Why do smokers to throw there cigarette butts on the ground? I live in a condo and want to tell them off when I see smokers throwing there cigarette butts in the parking lot where I live!!!!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 25
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 4:46:04 PM

...like alot of meds you gotta be willing to endure side effects....

stinky breath, stinky hair, stinky clothes, brown teeth, leathry skin, hacking morning cough...
 clasact
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:22:11 PM
From Internet Drug News (and I also asked a pharmacist about the claim)
"Although Chantix is not nicotine nor does it contain nicotine, it occupies and activates the nicotine receptors in the brain, producing a pleasurable sensation just like nicotine without the carbon monoxide, tar and cancer-causing compounds present in tobacco smoke."

I have smoked for 30 years, although in the last 10 years I've smoked anywhere from 1-1/2 packs to 2 packs a day and am now down to 4-5 cigarettes a day. I have cut down gradually. Although this process is more slow than using a drug I find that it will be better for me to gradually decrease the nicotine without synthetics mimicking the real thing.

As the above statement about Chantix is stated, this drug activates the nicotine receptors just like nicotine. A friend of mine had used Chantix and when she used this drug it was all good. Although when she came off using this drug as prescribed, she had a bit of a problem without it. The drug is still mimicking nicotine which is the addictive agent in cigarettes which we all know.

I usually carry hard candy with me and keep busy. I've also noticed that people who smoke around me doesn't make me want to light up just because they do, it doesn't bother me. And nearly everyone I work with smokes.
 Spitfire1956
Msg: 27
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 6:52:44 PM
I started the Chantix 1 week ago and the DR told me to keep smoking, so all week long I have smoked just like usual. I start the other pills tomorrow and hoping it will help cut that urge down. Did you also go through that the first week when you started on the program?
 daynadaze
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:10:48 PM

Why do smokers to throw there cigarette butts on the ground? I live in a condo and want to tell them off when I see smokers throwing there cigarette butts in the parking lot where I live!!!!

Not all do, but I'm guessing the same reason some beer drinkers/pop drinkers throw cans on the ground or leave paper cups/pop containers on the ground, or like the empty cup I saw today in Walmart, someone had finished their drink from a Quik Trip and instead of throwing it in the many trash containers in the store they stashed it on a shelf with the cold & flu meds. Because some people are asshats.
 sequoyah61
Msg: 29
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/13/2009 2:56:31 PM
I quit once for 8 months. Of course, I wish I'd never started up again. I used to chew on toothpicks - that seemed to help the 'oral fixation' thing. (OK, OK, you can hit me with your best stuff for that remark!!!).

Since the price of cigs just went way up, I'm hoping the impact on my finances will be the ultimate trigger to get me to quit!

Wish me luck!

Sequoyah
 Lion_of_Ireland
Msg: 30
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/13/2009 4:58:19 PM
My problem was having a drink. As soon as I had a beer or a CC I would want a smoke. I could fight the urge as long as only drank 1 or 2, after that, forget it. The next day it would'nt bother me. Only when I drink. Still does. Thats one of the main reasons I don't drink much!
 serenity60
Msg: 32
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/13/2009 7:41:47 PM
Another idea that may help with keeping your hands occupied is one of those bead bracelets. When your hands get fidgety you could play with the beads. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:47:30 PM
I became a non-smoker January 1, 2000. It isn't sufficient to quit, you have to adopt the mindset of, and become a non-smoker.
I quit smoking over a period of 4 years by gradually reducing the amount of cigarettes I smoked per day. Once I got it down to less than 5 a day I stopped, permanently. Whenever I was tempted in the slightest, I would say to myself, "I don't want to do that, because I am a non-smoker." It helped.
Remind yourself every day that you are a non-smoker, and it will be much easier.
Avoid all smoking venues.
It also helps to date only other non-smokers.
 anastazia1117
Msg: 34
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/16/2009 12:45:30 PM
There were a lot of reasons why I quit smoking, but the one that really allowed me to do it was the fact that I just didn't WANT to anymore. I didn't like the way I smelled, the way my mouth tasted when I made out with my guy, and I just didn't find the taste of them appetizing anymore.

I stopped smoking on August 19, 2007, and have almost no desire to start up again. There are still really stressful moments where I just want to step outside and bum one from a coworker, and I've done just that multiple times, but I take one puff and I realize that I can't stand the taste in my mouth.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but here in Wisconsin, I hear that Marlboro's are almost $6-7 a pack now. Just think... even if you only smoke half a pack a day, that's still $1095 a year (365 days a year/2 days per pack/$6 a pack)!!! Which is what it would cost you (approximately) for a week in Cancun, or about a year's worth of cable/internet!!!

I totally agree with the putty idea. I work for a medical device distributor, and a few months ago, I bought some of our therapeutic putty (same as silly putty, just in a 1# container) and have it sitting here on my desk when I get really antsy. It has REALLY helped.

I wish you all the best, OP. No matter what you use to help you quit, as long as you really WANT to quit, you will. And seriously, you do get your tastebuds back. I used to be able to handle the "Hot" sauce on my wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, and now go through about 3 drinks just eating 6 of the "Medium".
 Spitfire1956
Msg: 35
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/19/2009 8:34:41 AM
One week smoke free..yes!! Sometimes it's tough, but by gosh I've made it so far.:) Today I choose to go another day...
 insert user name
Msg: 36
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:24:37 AM

Because you forced them outside, away from their ashtrays.
 serenity60
Msg: 37
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/23/2009 11:41:38 PM
Anastatazia1117 wrote:
"I don't know about the rest of you guys, but here in Wisconsin, I hear that Marlboro's are almost $6-7 a pack now. Just think... even if you only smoke half a pack a day, that's still $1095 a year (365 days a year/2 days per pack/$6 a pack)!!! Which is what it would cost you (approximately) for a week in Cancun, or about a year's worth of cable/internet!!!"

In Canada smokes are $10-12 a pack!!!!!!! I don't even want to think about the math on that one! lol
 wizardofossington
Msg: 38
Quitting smoking
Posted: 3/24/2009 8:45:08 AM
In th state of Massachusetts, a pack of cigarettes are now $8 a pack. Its way too expensive to be smoking in these days. I remember when they were $2 a pack.

I use to smoke 6 years back and when I quit it was the hardest thing to do. It's mostly all in the mind. Your first 2 to 3 days are hardest, but once you past it, you have to strong and say no. It's probably best to stay away from people whom smoke just to get you through the temptations. Eventually, it will become very easy.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Quitting smoking