Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Urban Foxes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Urban FoxesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I doubt very much of you are in any danger Alma ...

Foxes are not dangerous unless cornered or infected with Rabies... Both of those scenarios are unlikely TBH..

Just carry on your merry way and ignore them or appreciate the way wildlife will overcome any obstacle put in their way, even urbanisation... The fox will stand it's ground as long as possible and then run away.. I've never heard of a fox with an escape route attacking a human..

As for the fox the size of a small lion... Methinks you are telling fibpots...
 lalby
Msg: 15
Urban Foxes
Posted: 1/20/2009 4:43:44 AM
There are acouple of foxes near where i live i see them if im coming home from work late or if i am up early.
They dont bother me and i cant say they scare me they will just have a look and realise they aint threatened and carry on.
I cant see them attacking humans to be honest only if they feel threatened,i'm sure if you leave them be they wont bother you.
 restless_native
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 1/20/2009 7:12:06 AM
So my question is: are they dangerous? Do they attack humans?

No. They prefer things that they have a reasonable chance of actually killing and eating.

Cats for example.
 imaranga
Msg: 37
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/22/2010 6:28:49 PM
It's the same for most native wildlife in the developed world. Their habitat is being destroyed and so they have to venture into suburbia to find food and as we are such a wasteful lot, it has become the "normal" thing to do.
 Strider886
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/23/2010 7:02:01 AM

I had a friend who lived on a farm the foxs got into the hen run and killed all of them about 30 hens ,i said to her they must have been very hungry she said are you thick they ripped most of them to pieces they did not eat them all

Yeah, they don't do it for food.... It's almost like "playtime" :(

But an untrained feral dog would do just the same thing. It's natural instinct... You can't really blame them for that :/
I wouldn't blame a 12 month old child for falling down the stairs if i'd left the child gate open... Would you? :\
Human being are capable of far greater atrocity's than killing a few chickens, we should be more afraid of eachother than of a fox.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 3/5/2010 1:00:24 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7356009/Fowl-play-hens-and-cockerel-peck-fox-to-death.html

Animals act on instinct and for whatever reason it's a Fox's instinct to attack Hens. They don't think about why they do it.
Well, this one bit off a lot more than he could chew.
 Vampire_Cat
Msg: 51
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 2:48:45 AM
I see foxes from my window every evening amd love watching them, they have made more effort to control the rat population that exploded in the 1980s than any council.
A child is more likely to suffer from cuts to their local hospitals services that suffer from a fox attack.

As for a fox the size of a lion, only aa very large St Bernard approaches that size, my brother breeds them and they weigh about 12 stone, so the OP can not be serious.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 2:49:54 AM
Let's get things into perspective.

There are 30, 000 urban foxes in the UK apparently, and another 230,000 or so in the wild. That's about the same as the population of Newcastle.

Meanwhile, there are ten and a half MILLION dogs that share the same DNA with a fox as well as a wolf, whether they be St Bernards or pugs. there are far more reports of dog attacks in the home than of foxes.

Urban foxes exist in cities because a: we keep building and b: we're wasteful creatures, which is heaven to a scavenger. A hungry fox, a really hungry fox, is going to do anything to survive, as would any animal. Often, a fox appears bold because it's either threatened, hungry or sick. If you don't want to interact with foxes, the answers are simple: don't go near them, don't leave food out in bin bags, and don't leave doors open.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 3:01:21 AM

I had a friend who lived on a farm the foxs got into the hen run and killed all of them about 30 hens ,i said to her they must have been very hungry she said are you thick they ripped most of them to pieces they did not eat them all

Any dog or fox evolved from a wolf instinctively believes that the meal in front of it will be its last. They will also instinctively chase anything that moves. A fox that destroys every hen in the henhouse does so because the farmer has penned them in. That's not really nature's way. It's not the fox's fault or the hens' fault; it's the farmer's for penning them in in the first place. Faced with 30 chickens going nuts and not being able to run away, the fox will chase down everythng because that's what nature dictates it should do. Left to its own devices, it would keep going back to the carcasses to feed on them until they're gone. They're wouldn't be any point in chasing prey when there's a perfectly good chicken in front of you.
 monty336
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:02:05 AM
i read about the baby with finger bites off a fox, how did it get in as its cold and not the weather to leave doors and windows open
 Marmite baby
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 4:10:07 PM
It would be a wow for me. The only time I've ever seen a fox was in London, in spite of living in a rural area.I was glued to the window " There's a fox!" Just fascinated,they are beautiful animals.My friend moaned aboutthe mess they mke. For me a real privelege to watch .
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Urban Foxes