Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Getting those SIX-PACK abs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HuntersvilleNC
Msg: 1
Getting those SIX-PACK absPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I exercise regularly but no matter how much you exercise your diet will always be the center of your workout. You can't workout and stop at McD's on the way home because you just negated your efforts. Eat plenty of fruit, high protein, low carb foods and be sure to mix it up. Get creative with your diet and you'll be amazed at the results.
 Chet B
Msg: 2
Getting those SIX-PACK abs
Posted: 1/22/2009 5:39:59 AM
Exactly...
Another 2 months and I will be able to proudly say that I haven't had fast food in a year. None, zilch, nada... that alone has helped my diet out quite a bit.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:32:48 AM

I exercise regularly but no matter how much you exercise your diet will always be the center of your workout. You can't workout and stop at McD's on the way home because you just negated your efforts. Eat plenty of fruit, high protein, low carb foods and be sure to mix it up. Get creative with your diet and you'll be amazed at the results.

I agree that one must eat healthy (nutritional food, carb/protein/fat ratio, etc) and reduce calorie intake to get one's body fat low enough for your abs to show. But, the person that is just trying to lose fat (weight) for swimsuit season, while they can't eat every meal at McD's, or even eat there everyday, I don't see where eating there once in a while will negate all their effort.

I may be wrong, and would love to hear about research that proves it, but I can't help think that one meal will not ruin all of your efforts. If the rest of the day, or the days before and after, are filled with protein, carbs, fats to keep the McD's meal in balance for your goals, why can't you eat it. I would say the same thing about a high calorie/fat dessert, or fried chicken, or pizza, etc. To me it's about what else you eat and when you eat it.

I believe it's banishment of foods (i.e. desserts, pizza, McD's, etc) that is the main reason why people fail to make long term substainable changes in their diets.

And yes, 6-pak abs is all about getting your body fat percent low so they can show through. Great look, but doesn't help me attain my goals in endurance events.
 ironman33
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:46:31 AM
^ You are absolutely right. Eating fast food once every 2 weeks or so will not hold you back from having six pack. In fact those extra calories will speed up your metabolism for the next few days. Even when im dieting for my bodybuilding contest, i still have one cheat meal once every 14 days and when im not dieting for the show I eat whatever i want every Sunday and still stay ripped with ABS.

Metabolism will adopt and slow down if the person eats the same amount of calories every single day. In fact person should eat different amount of carbs on daily basis to keep the body guessing and not adopt.

but in the end just like the original poster said, you can have the best abs in the world but if you eating junk food on daily basis you will never see them.
 flawedbutfun
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/22/2009 7:36:52 AM

but in the end just like the original poster said, you can have the best abs in the world but if you eating junk food on daily basis you will never see them.

No argument there or with the OP about the importance of eating healthy. Too many Resolution'ers think going to the gym is the answer for dropping 20+ pounds of fat, when the real answer is eating less calories. No wonder they stop going after 2-3 weeks.
 SeaandSun11
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/22/2009 7:42:28 AM
^(whistling at Ironman)

I agree. My diet could definitely use some tuning up but I know that if I weren't allowed a cheat once in awhile, I could never stick to it. 20% body fat as opposed to 14% isn't so terrible if I'm basically happier because I'm not feeling deprived. I can usually keep it around 18% without too much "sacrifice" or effort.

Eating healthier is better for my kids too but at the same time, their busy schedules combined with mine is sometimes the reason we don't.
 Chet B
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/22/2009 8:47:40 AM
Off to McDonalds for lunch...
Getting 5 big macs...
And a diet coke
 Edsta
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/22/2009 9:27:18 AM
Fast food on a daily or regular basis is definitely not a good idea...unless you're running 10 miles every day, maybe.

However, once a week or two weeks, isn't going to make much difference if you're being conscientious with food and exercise the rest of the time.

I don't go to McDonalds because I dislike their food, but Wendy's, Burger King, and Jack in the Box aren't too bad on occasion. I just don't order any fries or soda with the burger (no cheese on the burger either), and make sure to drink plenty of water and get lots of fiber (carrots, celery, etc.) afterwards to help flush things out.
 ironman33
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/22/2009 11:34:51 AM
Eating healthy and having some cheat meals here and there is kind of like working hard for 8-10 hours and then allowing yourself little play time in the evening time. You still making money but you enjoying yourself at the same time. Same thing with fitness, as long as you eating good for most of the time, little bit of junk/sweets wont hurt you (lol just be honest with yourself when it comes to little bit of junk/sweets), and as I said before, it will keep you sane becuase you have something to look forward and also shock your metabolism. Our metabolism does slow down when we eat same amount of calories every single day, it adopts to it.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:23:08 PM
Fast food, or any food for that matter, is not the in moderation.
Carbs will not make you explode, eating a Big Mac once in a while will not make ur muskles fall off.

A six pack is the result of relatively low bodyfat and good genetics. Core work can improve the bumps somewhat, but without the first two, not easy.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2009 10:46:07 AM
I just finished off a drink I made in the blender: broccoli, apples, carrots, celery, red grape juice. You get tons of energy from all of this, and the fiber (in the pulp) absorbs toxins from you system and helps to flush out a lot of junk from your digestive track. Also, see if you can find plain, lowfat yogurt from the dairy section and mix in some ordinary preserves. You can even throw some blueberries and strawberries in the blender and add that to the yogurt for a fruitier, more robust flavor.

Some people say eat less (which tends to slow down your metabolism), but I've always advised people to eat more. I've never had a problem keeping the weight off because I exercise and eat lots of really good foods.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/23/2009 1:16:06 PM

..absorbs toxins from you system and helps to flush out a lot of junk from your digestive trac...

False
 Vincent Lachapelle
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:44:11 PM
Cheat meal is a great way of rewarding yourself!I mean, yeah a fry with sauce isnt good for you but really its all about the calories.
Usually what i do is,when i somehow overdo it, I just make my next meal a bit smaller by 50-100calories so my intake doesnt change too much.
 Ryan The Great
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/23/2009 10:41:09 PM
Getting rid of, or reducing the amount of carbs in your diet usually isn't going to make you lose weight in the long run. But replacing simple carbs [high GI] with complex carbs [low GI] tends to be far more effective. Complex carbs include nuts, wholegrain foods and some vegetables. Simple carbs include sugar and refined grain [eg white bread vs multigrain bread]. Fruit often contains simple and complex carbs in the flesh and skin, respectively [but there are exceptions]. Complex carbs contain the same caloric value as simple carbs of the same mass. However, complex carbs are difficult to digest, so you feel fuller for longer, whilst it takes longer for the body to convert them into energy and your energy levels feel more consistent throughout the day.

1g CHO [carbohydrate] = 4.5kcal
1g protein = 4.5kcal
1g alcohol = 7kcal
1g fat = 9kcal

The trick is to eat the right type of carbs so that you fill up on less and take longer to get hungry. It probably takes 2 or 3 times the amount of white bread to fill you up compared to wholemeal bread. That 2-3 times the calories. Put less butter on your bread. In fact, have a salad sandwich with no butter or cheese at all. Get your dairy from milk [assuming you're not lactose intolerant/allergic] as butter, cheese and cream are ultimately much higher in fat content. Drink less alcohol. It isn't rocket science.

Decreased carbs usually results in a sudden weight loss, as does decreased protein. But the sudden weight loss tends to be quickly followed with a slowed metabolism. Plus, if the weight-loss is sudden, chances are you're losing muscle more than fat. Fat is much slower to metabolise, so, short of having it surgically removed [liposuction], rapid weight-loss is seldom a good sign.

Oh, and yes, you are allowed to eat "junk food." Some amount of fat is good for you, especially if it's unsaturated or Omega 3. But it's best to have one meal a week where you can eat anything you want, rather than trying to eliminate all "bad" food entirely. If you tell yourself you can't eat something, it's going to make you think about eating it and crave it, then feel guilty when you finally do.

Now, seeing as this thread is about 6-pack abs, here's some core exercises you might not know about [seeing as all the telemarketing companies just blabber on about sit ups and crunches]. If you have hypertension, don't do these exercises.

- Bridge: Lie down on your back, bend your knees and plant your feet on the ground, about a foot in front of your butt. Keeping your head and shoulders on the ground, raise your pelvis until your knees, hips and shoulders are in line. Knees should be at about 90 degrees. This exercise uses your core to keep your hips balanced, and you'll feel it working your butt and the backs of your thighs.
Variations: 1. Put your head and shoulders on a fitball and keep your body parallel with the ground. 2. Put your feet on a medicine ball or fitball.

- Prone Hold: Lie down facing the floor. Plant your elbows underneath your shoulders and raise your pelvis off the ground, balancing on your elbows and knees. Tilt your pelvis back and suck your tummy in tight. Try to keep a straight line between your knees, pelvis and shoudlers. Every time you breathe out, suck your tummy in a little further.
Variations: 1. Raise your knees off the floor. 2. Perform the prone hold on your side, with only one elbow on the ground, the other arm pointing straight up vertically. This works your obliques and should be done on each side for an equal length of time.
 tarvold
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 4:54:22 PM
You can't workout and stop at McD's on the way home.... but you can stop at McD's on the way to the workout.

Seriously, I think the biggest thing I've realized in terms of weightloss/fitness is that food is there to fuel movement (duh!!!). So now, instead of eating because it's lunchtime or because food is in front of me, I just eat according to what I think I'll be doing after.

And a stop off at Maccas on the way to a couple of hours of tennis is a pretty good idea...
 tan39
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:25:32 PM
I know it has been said but DIETING IS WORTH MORE THAN YOUR WORKOUT!!! Sorry for the caps, but this is the backbone of where anyone wants to get to when they hit the gym. If you want to get those abs, dieting is HUGE. You have fat that covers your abs, so you have to get rid of that with dieting and cardio mainly, but adding crunches will, of course, help get those abs. I am pretty much an ectomorph (look it up) so my metabolism is sky high. I luckily have abs, but everything else I have to work really hard for. It's like this one guy told me (huge guy that was like 40 something year old but looked like he was 20 something), would you rather have 7o dollars or 30? 70 percent of getting to where you want to be has to deal with dieting. So, even if you train hard every single day, but your dieting is horrible, it wont matter. I have been doing this gym thing for like about 5 years, and I started at 120 lbs. and now im near 150. I am focusing on dieting even better now. Good luck with it man!
 Hookme2009
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/28/2009 6:42:20 PM
Always work hard, but sometimes, too, people have to understand, all about your genetics. Me, I work out hard, my diet is alright for a bachelor, etc, but in no way will I even have a 6 pack stomach.......I noticed what helped me lose a few lbs in the past was doing fast sprints/walking/fast sprints on the treadmill.....
 Jumbie564
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 7:30:05 AM
EVERYONE can have a 6-pack. Yes, genetics plays a role and genetics determines how hard you'll have to work to achieve that 6-pack.

I was one of those that believed it would never happen for me. In high school I weighed all of 120 lbs in my senior year yet, no 6-pack. Starting in my late 20's I decided to start changing the way I eat after reading the book "Eat To Win" by Dr. Robert Haas. As the years passed I modified my diet and became more strict about the food I put in my body (Read the thread "Repetitive Food" for my current diet). My 30's passed and still no 6-pack. Then in my early 40's I went through a particularly stressful time, took up running to relief that stress, and went from 165 lbs down to 130 lbs. Viola, a 6-pack started emerging.

While I was happy that for the first time in my life I could see the beginnings of a 6-pack, looking at pictures of myself I felt I was way too skinny. That's when I got serious about weight-training. I was determined though to make sure that any weight gain would not be at the sacrifice of losing my 6-pack. Given that I'm a slow-gainer, I realized that this meant patience in terms of adding muscle. I also knew that it would take a very disciplined diet - more so than I was practicing at the time.

Today, at 50-years old, I weigh 160 lbs and have a 6-pack. It was a very long road and above all else it took a great deal of being honest with myself about the efforts I was putting forth. I resisted the urge to say "I can't", or my "genetics won't allow it". If I wasn't getting results then I gradually stepped up my efforts.

Most people who are slow muscle gainers or who have a hard time losing weight/fat will decide the effort just isn't worth it. They measure pleasure verses sacrifice and set a level of fitness that they're comfortable with. There's nothing wrong with that. But to point a finger at genetics and say something is impossible is incorrect. It can be done, it just may require a level of effort that is not worth it to an individual because of the genetics involved.

One last note: Once you practice a way of living long enough you eventually forget about certain pleasures that you once indulged in. In other words, you don't miss what you can't remember. I can't remember what a donut, or a fast-food burger, or creamy salad dressing, or butter tastes like anymore. I no longer crave fatty foods because I can't remember the pleasure they gave my palate. People ask me how I do it, thinking I'm exerting some great effort in being disciplined about my diet. It takes no effort now. It's just a way of living.
 Edsta
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/29/2009 7:40:31 AM
Genetics mostly limits you in terms of growing huge forearms or huge calves if you have crazy bodybuilding ambitions.

6-pack abs? Nah.
 Jumbie564
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 4:10:45 PM
Perhaps over-rated in terms of aesthetics, but research is piling up to show that the larger the abdominal fat cells, the greater the risk for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and dementia.

So the fact that a 6-pack is admired and desired may be an innate protection mechanism for survival.
 Edsta
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:50:27 PM

Who else here thinks 6 PACK ABS are the most overrated bodypart EVEEERRR

If the lower back and deeper abs (psoas) are developed along with the surface abs that are visible in a "6-pack" then those are probably the most FUNCTIONAL muscles in your whole body---good core strength will help you in virtually every sport or even everyday physical activity, in a way that more vanity-pleasing muscle development like bulging pecs and biceps (what many novice male lifters tend to overtrain at the expense of other muscles) will never come close to.

I know, because in my first 5 years of lifting I did exactly that: obsessed over the vanity muscles while neglecting cardio and core work. Fell under the "Gumby Effect," LOL.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 1:44:21 PM
It is all about cal in vs cal out. My question is every calority counter I see says I should have 2800-3200 calories a day (6 foot 10-12ish percent body fat lift weights 6-7 times a week) However it seams if I allow my self to eat 2000 cals for a week I will gain 2-3 lbs I curerntly have to eat 1500ish cals if I want to maintain my weight. This is not too bad and I can easly withstand the hunger pains at 1000 cal range seeign as 5 eggs (400 cals can keep my full all day)

In a typical day
I eat eggs, salmon, and lean chicken (20ish g) along with a GNC pro amp protien shake (60 g)
Spinich salad 5 cups with 1 whole tomato and onions (80-100 cals)
then some fruit and healthy carbs to round off 1500 cals

On weekends I do drink excessivly, I try to keep my cal count under 3k

I am seriously about to cut alachol out but I dont see why it is a problem as long as I stay under my daily maintiance cal count

Any ideas why I have platoed so badly?
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:54:03 PM

...Any ideas why I have platoed so badly?...

Yep.

...I curerntly have to eat 1500ish cals if I want to maintain my weight. This is not too bad and I can easly withstand the hunger pains at 1000 cal range seeign as 5 eggs (400 cals can keep my full all day)...

You are starving yourself.

Try eating a proper amount of calories over an extended period of time and let your body adjust. If you quickly gain weight when you start a normal intake that is a clear sign your body was in starvation mode as it will store any extra food it gets.

Over time with proper nutrition your body will adjust and then you may (provided you have the right genetics) achieve your goal.
 1MainEvent
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:16:57 PM

You are starving yourself.

Try eating a proper amount of calories over an extended period of time and let your body adjust. If you quickly gain weight when you start a normal intake that is a clear sign your body was in starvation mode as it will store any extra food it gets.

Over time with proper nutrition your body will adjust and then you may (provided you have the right genetics) achieve your goal.

Right on. You will gain weight, but take advantage of this rebound and make it anabolic!

1)Eat clean--natural unprocessed foods--sweetpot, potatoes, rice, oatmeal, lean meats, veggies and lower GI fruits.

2)Lift with lots of intensity and train for muscle endurance and strength.

3)Make sure protein makes up AT LEAST 33% or more for every meal. You want to comsume more protein then any other marconutrient (protein, carbs, fats) if you can. Its the most difficult marconutrient to be converted to fat. And its a muscle builder.

If you follow these 3 guideline theres a good possbility you could put on more muscle then fat. Eat like shit and don't wieght train, your going to look sloppy in no time.

And listen to your body, when your hungry (not craving) eat. If your not hungry don't eat. Simply as that.
 Scott3995
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/29/2009 11:27:40 PM
Mainevent has it covered, and just remember a six pack is not made in the gym, it's made in the kitchen. Bottom line.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Getting those SIX-PACK abs