Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What Would Do If Your Date Said To You, "I'm Use To Dating Someone Be      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 palmer f
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What Would Do If Your Date Said To You, "I'm Use To Dating Someone Better Looking Than You?"Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Well I was out having dinner with a friend when this couple came in and has seat the table next to ours. The tables in that place were so close together that you couldn't help but over anything the people next to you talked about . As we were waiting for the check, we heard the woman asked the man she was with why he looked so tense.

And that's when we couldn't believe what cam out of his mouth. He told her that he was that way because he was use to dating women "prettier" than her. The woman looked stunned and didn't say anything else. The guys apologized, but I think the damage was done. The waitress brought our check and we left.

So people, how would you react if your date said that they were use to dating someone better loking to you?
 cfb62
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What Would Do If Your Date Said To You, I'm Use To Dating Someone Better Looking Than You?
Posted: 1/22/2009 1:43:32 PM
I would either start laughing at the guy's lack of class, or walk out.
I'd bet that prior to this couple arriving at the restaurant, there were flags on the field as to his lack of manners and the woman just ignored them.
 forum_froggie
Msg: 3
What Would Do If Your Date Said To You, I'm Use To Dating Someone Better Looking Than You?
Posted: 1/22/2009 2:39:41 PM
....they'd still be looking for his body parts.

Just sayin'.

Gawd.
 Go Rin No Sho
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2009 5:35:13 PM
"Really? What do you do when the alarm clock goes off and wakes you up? Don't you just hate that part?"
 ladyc4
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/22/2009 7:04:22 PM
I would smile sweetly, touch his hand gently and say " I understand completely. I'm used to dating someone smarter than you." Then I'd kindly ask, "what became of that better looking someone? She decide prostitution was a step UP? "
Cindy O
 fire lake
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2009 6:34:58 AM
If someone were to date a male/female who said that or anything like that during a date, they should be thankful in learning some of the person's true colors in the beginning, and RUN.
 celts123
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/23/2009 9:23:51 AM
If this during the first date I would say "I could say the same thing about you. You aren't that great looking either". But I had been dating a woman for an extended period of time, then I would ask her to clarify her remark and perhaps give her the benefit the doubt depending on what her response was. Many people will say something dumb or use the wrong words to make their point once in a while.
 palmer f
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What Would You Do If Your Date Said To You, I'm Use To Dating Someone Better Looking Than You?
Posted: 1/23/2009 12:02:58 PM
Well we both were shocked and wished I knew if she left or not, but i hope that she did. She wasn't bad looking at all. Well not to me anyways. As for him, he didn't seem like he should be complaining about her looks. I will leave it at that.

Damn, I hate that this site doesn't really have an edit button. Guess I better proof read my subject lines more before posting them. LOL.
 *topchef*
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/24/2009 12:08:09 PM
Easier here to craft the perfect response, than to think of the best thing to say on the spot after being sideswiped verbally. I hope I would have the clarity and presence of mind to throw this back to him.....

"Really?? So what has changed in you that made you go for intelligence, charm, sex appeal and confidence this time"

But I would more than likely blurt out.....

"Really??? With an a$$face like that...you can get someone better looking than me????"

Oh. Oh, I see. More wine then?

( As in the more wine you drink....then better I look. )
 Miss W
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/24/2009 4:09:52 PM
What's with all the "witty" retorts and childish game playing? Why score points over that sort of person? WHY BOTHER?

Because it is one of the most insensitive asshatesque thing to say and it loans itself to witty retorts. If it were me, I would probably hang in there, order the most expensive thing on the menu and thank him for the lovely dinner and perhaps let him know that he may be used to prettier women but there must be something about him that doesn't make them stay. Or...I would tell him right after the comment, let me free you up so that you can find one, and wish in luck with that task for with his lack of tact, he will need it and leave. Dang OP, I really wish you would have hung in there longer to see what transpired.
 celts123
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/25/2009 10:23:50 AM

I would give him the best date he had ever been on.....and never call! Then he would have been devasted!

Would that include getting a BJ? Having sex? If so, then I would say something rude during my date.
 A Moment in Time
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/25/2009 12:39:57 PM
I think I would have been tempted to say to the guy "that's funny because I was thinking the same thing about you but wasn't sure how to tell you. jerk. I can't believe that someone would have the nerve to say that to someones face, but there is no way in hell that i could just sit there and take it I would have to say something, if i did stay for dinner, it would be the most expensive thing on the menu thats for sure. lol
 painter0070
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2009 6:24:22 PM
Id just say .....ok.......doesnt bother me.....but I would wonder why you arent dating them anymore.......
 palmer f
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 1:19:44 PM
Well My friend knows the waitress that waited on us that day so I asked him did she see or over hear anything worthwhile. She told him that she went to their table. The guy and the woman ordered off the menu. She brought out the food they order and the began eating.

Then she said that in the middle of eating, it looked like the got into a heat arguement and that's when she said the woman through her drink in the guy's face and walked out.
He probably insulted her again or something who knows. The waitress said she asked him was he ok and he tod her that his date just had issues and that he was glad that he found out about them then.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:40:05 AM
I can't say anybody I have dated has said this to me, but if it ever did, I think I would borrow this line from justmeandmax:
"Well, that's OK because I usually date people smarter and more confident than you, but I thought I'd throw you a bone."

Or I would suggest that maybe he would like my ass better than my face. Then, I would get up and he could watch my ass as I walked out the door. I would be up and gone before the dinner arrived.

I have been told by a date that he didn't usually date 'my type of woman', which I suppose could be taken in a positive or negative way. And, since I wear my rose-colored glasses on occasion, I chose to take it in a positive way and asked him what 'type' of woman he is used to dating.
 abelian
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/3/2009 1:21:15 PM
Since I know I'm rather average looking, I might very well see her point, even though that is a rather classless way to put it. Just be realistic about yourself. Then, no one will tell you something you don't lnow and your ego won't depend not spoiling a delusion. The guy in your story was definitely not someone the girl should get worked up over.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 10:00:48 PM
I think the answer would be obvious...
 jadegreen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2009 9:35:36 PM
Maybe he was trying to end the date quickly on purpose....you never know...we don't even know if it was a true statement...

Also interesting that he told the waitress that "she had issues", but he left out the part that he said something incredibly rude....such typical human nature for him not to confess his rudeness...tsk tsk tsk
 EvilLolli
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2009 9:52:37 PM
I would have the same response to that statement as I had to one I heard recently apllied to me, to the curb you go mister. Any person(male or female) that puts up w/ any statement along these lines has serious self esteem issues.

"I am used to dating better looking people" is along the lines of "I had to date several other people to appreciate you". Either way, even if the sentiment is true, keep it to yourself. There are times when total honest is just more brutal than neccessary.

I used to date guys based on their looks, but I wouldn't rub it in any ones face. That's just so immature and class-less. I would hope after a certain age the tact button would become active.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/31/2009 11:07:36 PM
I'd say:
Heck ya, you should date him!
cus if he's better lookin then me....
he must be pretty damn good looking!
:-P
 JoeiR
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/10/2009 11:11:11 PM
OOOOooo...I would have ordered the tallest drink; probably hot water or tea, and dumped it on top of his head and made him pay for the whole meal.

Then (since I usually drive myself to dates), I'd peel out of the parking lot and get the hell out before the police shows up!
 JoeiR
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/10/2009 11:14:46 PM

Then she said that in the middle of eating, it looked like the got into a heat arguement and that's when she said the woman through her drink in the guy's face and walked out.

Oh shit I missed this part....you go girl! Never mind stooping to his level, embarrase his ass in front of the whole resturaunt. She should have left as soon as he said the first shit
 PacificStar
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2009 11:33:38 PM
I have always worked from the premis that "there is no punishment like silence for a fool". I would probably just be so angry I would be stunned at first then I would try to make it as awkward as possible until I could excuse myself never acknowledgeing his remark.
 bighearted33
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/11/2009 12:04:19 AM
I would say nothing just calmly get up and leave as there is no point in trying to tell somone how wrong they were for saying it couse they just do not get it, becouse if they did they would not of said it in the first place.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/11/2009 12:08:22 AM
"Well don't let me slow you down Hunny. Thanks for dinner. Hope you have cab fare. Bub-bye now."
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What Would Do If Your Date Said To You, "I'm Use To Dating Someone Better Looking Than You?"