Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > OK so guy asks for my number, how do I not blow it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 1
view profile
History
OK so guy asks for my number, how do I not blow it?Page 1 of 1    
OK so I got that far, that in itself is pretty good. (someone not on POF, btw)

When he gets my number, how can I say that I'm happy to talk to him anytime without looking cheesy?

And the next question is, do guys really WANT girls to be available for calls? Sounds dumb but the "always available" approach screams 'loser' and the "available for you" screams desperation for that person. And if you see what happens, or play it by ear, one missed call because your phone is charging or got left in your car could blow your chances. Urgh.
 CMonster
Msg: 2
OK so guy asks for my number, how do I not blow it?
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:41:14 PM

Just say, "Call me when you have a chance. My schedule is pretty open these days."

Or she could ask "Three day rule?"
 techgirl27
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 2:43:56 PM
I hear ya on the missed calls thing. I wish I could say I had better than a 0% success rate with that though. Every one has got me no answer when I call back or any further calls.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/27/2009 3:42:29 PM
Most girls who send me a number...
just send me a number in their message and leave it at that.
If I don't know what to do with it or can't operate a phone than I'm obviously eliminated from their dating pool.
However being savvy to girl thinking I always write back:
"When would be best to reach you?"

That way the girl doesn't have to hang about all day and wonder.
Plus that gives the girl a chance to not answer and see how I sound first on voice mail.
LOL.
Some girls are shy(or cagey) like that.

If a girl leaves a voice mail I'll respond.

It's pretty ironclad that if a number is not called or voicemail not returned...
the interest is just not there and move on.
 myrealityis
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:03:49 PM
Here’s my opinion:

This is a perfect example of how men and women think quite differently, and how most women try to convey personality value through actions, whereas men use words. This is not a debate about which approach is better, I’m just trying to point out to bassgirl747 why and how she should act in this case.

If he is a nice guy, with good intentions and what most would consider a desirable person there is no harm in telling him that you would love to hear from him and your schedule is fairly open. By mixing your actions and words up to convey a message about yourself that is not necessarily true of your feelings you will cause a lot of “nice guys” to freak out, and you could sabotage yourself in so many ways I can’t even think of where to start; I have a lot of women tell me to call anytime, and it does not change my opinion of them one bit.

Good luck.
 jmn120176
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:37:09 PM
Just smile and say, "I look forward to hearing from you." Then walk away.

If he didn't want you to be available for calls, he wouldn't have taken your number. Or, he wouldn't have bothered talking with you in the first place. Interest is interest. Try not to overcomplicate things.
 c_deacon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 4:44:45 PM
Give him your number and be happy when that call arrives. Or, take his number and call him some time and say....."remember me?"......

The one thing you need to remember, and to many make this mistake, and that is to expect someone to answer your call all the time. There are many times that people can be busy with family and friends, or doing business, and will not answer their personal phone until they have the time and place to do so.

I have let my phone go to message many many times, and it has little to do with the person calling, and most times I do not even look to see who might be calling, and much more to do with time and situation of where I am, what I am doing, and who I am with.

Trust me though, if I get a call, I will return it, and I expect that you might not be able to answer either, and I will leave a good time to call me back then, or you can me.....

Just my opinion.......
 LukeMM23
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/27/2009 5:24:29 PM
Personally, "cheesy" is not even part of my vocab. It's incredibly sexy when a woman clearly states that she wants a guy to talk to her.

And yeah, I'd like the girls I'm interested in to be available.
 Bewildered100
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:38:39 PM
1 - don't overthink this...you're whittling it to bits!

2 - get his number and make the first call. The rest will follow on its own.
 Invictus01
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/27/2009 10:04:58 PM

In you are interested in the guy, if a guy ask, give him your number. Be available; the guy will appreciate it. If you don't answer, most likely the guy will call back. However, if you are too difficult to contact, the guy will stop calling.

Kelley forgot to mention to ask for a bank statement while you are at it... and the resume too.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > OK so guy asks for my number, how do I not blow it?