Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I play acoustic guitar and do vocals. I've been learning the tricks of the trade with both, and I've been getting down to writing a lot of new stuff. Some of it sounds, good, some is a little bland.
 BuffaloGalLooking
Msg: 25
So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 2/2/2009 9:04:55 AM
I play 2 instruments: I play the 'zils' and I play drums (dumbek, frame drum, middle eastern style).

I love drumming. It's some awesome stress relief :)
 BuffaloGalLooking
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/4/2009 8:22:36 AM
Triangle ROCKS!!!

comic book
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/4/2009 11:10:28 PM
i play the pink obo and skin flute. i'm proficient at it and play at least 2 times a day in the shower and in bed at home.
 comic book
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/13/2009 11:41:48 PM
i sing evvvvery day in the shower, as loud as a I possibly can till my throat hurts like a mo-fo. I advise everyone to do it because I was told it makes you a good singer. I believe my stills are much better now.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 7:00:57 AM
I do play drums, and a teensy-weensy bit of piano. Music is a great escape - the comcentration required to play obliterates the stress from normal life for a while.
 Archidis
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 3:18:38 PM

Being a musician is not for everyone, as the same as being an artist is not for everyone.

I agree to an extent. I think a lot of it can be learned. There are even some popular musicians that are technically unreal, but their "music" can be painful to listen to. I think that given the proper instruction one could learn to draw or paint better than 99% of the population, but that still doesn't make them good. But, there is a good amount of it that you're just born with. I consider myself to be a good musician due to a little of both... I don't remember a time when I wasn't playing an instrument, mainly piano, violin, and bass. However, I definitely feel that I keep better time than virtually any drummer I've played with and have always been the guy in the band that says "hang on, someone's out of tune". I'm sure a lot of that can just be attributed to a lot of practice as well, but I think the ability to "feel" tempo and to really hear pitch might be something you just have or don't.
 jd488
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:36:19 PM
I can play a variety of brass instruments from trumpet to tuba. Sometimes I perform and instruct.

More importantly, learning to play a musical instrument is open to everyone. You just need to overcome that fear and be prepared to learn and practice.
 Archidis
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 10:43:39 AM

As an example, I restringed my acoustic, and just tuned it straight up by ear, just going off of my feel, and wasn't but a half step off according to my tuner. I thought that was pretty darn good. Also, I think it's a better testament to your ability if you can play better than most taught musicians, but you taught yourself.

Well, I think you definitely learn certain tones, especially tuning through practice. I can still hear an A in my head and tune a violin by ear even though it's been about 14 years since I really spent any significant amount of time playing one. It took me about 7 years before I was able to take a piece of sheet music and completely sight read and play it the first time I sat with it. (I'm talking about a piece most would call "complex".) But then, there are those anomalies that can do it after a few months. There was a kid in my orchestra that had perfect pitch. He could turn his back to the piano and when you played a note he'd tell you what it was, and on top of that tell you if the note the piano was producing was a hair sharp or flat. He played the viola and was really pretty average at it because he didn't really like it and just played whenever he had to.

Anyhow, I'm getting a little long winded... lol.. I think that anyone can play an instrument, and enjoy playing. If you have the persistence and patience to get past those little hurdles it can be a great amount of fun. For the most part I see people 1) skipping the basics and moving to complex music too quickly, and 2) getting frustrated because they are playing music outside their ability. Slow and steady ultimately makes things a lot more fun...
 Marmite baby
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:05:56 PM
I played the recorder at school, so could sort of read Music, and learnt to play the sax at 33. Not very good, in fact the woman opposite thought it was a trumpet for years and the cat left home! Haven't played for a while, but had lessons and found a guy to practise with, which eventually led to 7 people.We also saw bands together, some of us were in a quartet run by a music teacher, and did charity concerts with a different teacher.
The real high points were wind band weekends and Guys and Dolls, playing in an amateur orchestra.
You're never too old to learn, and the way that one purchase snowballed was fantastic.
 comic book
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/17/2009 11:34:56 PM
instruments are sooo overrated. it's better just to listen. I have an alternative music, where I have pots and pans upside-down in front of me, i just pound away like the drums. i've been practicing so much i recorded it and have some offers from atlantic records, def jam, and virgin records. it's all about individuality. oh, and maroon 5 and metallica approached me to tour with them for their nationwide tour. thanks lars and adam, but no thanks, i'm not a sell-out.
 torgo70
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 6:47:54 PM
I haven't played since Billy Redden stole my banjo.
 RSwindol
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:47:47 PM
I do.

"Messages this short may not be posted"
 YayForBeer
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2012 11:29:16 AM
I was never very good at sports, and my parents wanted me to do something besides play Nintendo all day long.

They bought me a guitar and Queen's "A night at the opera" and that was 21 years ago. I haven't put it down since, and I still know how to play all the songs from that album. :)

Few things are as great of an emotional release as playing the guitar.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/14/2012 12:05:07 PM
Re: Msg 83 - recording multiple guitars - There is a very good Brian May tutorial video on Youtube where he shows you in slow speed, how to play all his Queen solos. I find him to be unusually smart and open as to his techniques, and extra brownie points for Brian and his dad making that same famous guitar in their garage out of "bits of stuff" that they found around the house!!!
Anyway, one thing he shows is how he takes the signal from his guitar and splits it(lots of big-time guitarists do this) into multiple amps, to get different tones, and how he controls those tones. There is another Queen video that shows them actually working on master tapes, and they said they overdubbed that tape so many times that you could see clear through it:)
I didn't appreciate them when they were current, but looking back, they sure did make some incredible music.
But for the sake of argument, I have been watching a lot of Jeff Beck videos lately. That man is beyond any description, and what he gets out of a Strat, withOUT overdubs and lots of tricks, is just jawdropping.
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 10:36:23 PM
I play electric guitar. My best one is a black Ibanez RG. I'll play for several months, then get burned out on it and quit for a few months. I'm no guitar god, but I'm decent. My goal someday is to be as good as Jani Liimatainen (formerly of Sonata Arctica, now in Cain's Offering), or Dave Mustaine.

I'm working on enough songs for 2 full-length cds right now. I just have to record some demos and then recruit some band members. It seems like all my friends are either in a band already, or they just aren't persistent or ambitious enough to form a band. It doesn't matter who I get, I'm definitely going to get this stuff done somehow.
 Womac911
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:39:37 AM
I play guitar, myself. Eleven guitars, nine amps at last count.
Not only that, but I began building guitars in 1996. In 1998, I struck out on my own doing something slightly different, but still guitar related. I go to NAMM every winter, too.
I don't play all that well though, because I'm too busy building. So, I live vicariously through my customers.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:01:58 AM
^^^^^^
Hey, you guys above who took the plunge and started playing - kudos to you!
I have fun fixing broken string instruments if it's not too extensive, I buy a lot of parts online, fix violins and guitars, and give them to local kids, some of them seem pretty talented.
Womac, the next time you're at NAMM, check out the "Guitar Geek festival" usually close by in another hotel, lots of vintage fun. Check it out on Youtube.
 Womac911
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 4:40:20 PM

Womac, the next time you're at NAMM, check out the "Guitar Geek festival" usually close by in another hotel, lots of vintage fun. Check it out on Youtube.

I was at the last Winter NAMM, but didn't know about Guitar Geek festival. However, there was another small guitar/amp show going on at the same time a couple miles down the road... I forget it's name, but it's wasn't the Geek Festival.
Personally, I'm tired of the typical "Guitar show" and "Vintage show" because they're overpriced peep-shows, more or less. I want to form an actual weekend-long guitar convention based around the Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention format... we take over an entire hotel, for an entire weekend. Discussion panels on various topics, music jams, dealer's room, the works. All weekend, non-stop. Not a "consumer" based "sell you crap" show, but a "players" show.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 3:20:08 PM
I do play drums, and love it. Occasionally keyboards, but mostly drums.
 MusicFred
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/24/2012 7:58:41 AM
I've played guitar on and off for 20 years, had bands in high school, did some gigs. I started piano/keyboards 2 years ago but I don't practice as much as I would like.

I have vids on youtube at http://www.youtube.co m/dayglo98
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 3:14:17 AM
I wish more ambitious people who weren't in bands in my area played instruments.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/6/2012 1:12:13 PM
^^^^^^
Ptown - It's OK to have your OWN style.
Most teachers make students play a certain way, and sometimes it works, often times the student gets frustrated and gives up. I had that as a kid, a horrible old lady violin teacher, and I HATED her. I'm sure she was a hit in Vienna, but I didn't advance at all. Years later I picked it up again, on my own , and started playing for fun because I had young kids, and it entertained them. Now I have a LOT of fun playing, and I play much more, and much better too.
If you love music, pick up a guitar and PLAY !!!
 SirensSister
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:51:46 AM
I play piano/keyboard some. I want to hook up with some people who live here to play sometime. I'd like to learn the drums..
 bamagrl68
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/29/2012 3:27:36 PM
legalbeagle84- I play the piano. I've been thinking about guitar lessons.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)