Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Bullish or Bearish Dating Market ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~rain~
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Bullish or Bearish Dating Market ... Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
laffs..

since when did meeting and dating somone become so complicated??

This is why I am a believer in the fates!
You meet someone and you just travel down your path and deal with issues as you get to them! If you over think the future to much then you will always be alone!

Everyones future is uncertain, this is why it is so important to live for today!!

a Favorite quote "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift thats why we call it the present"
 Cogie36
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bullish or Bearish Dating Market ...
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:24:40 AM
Everything in life worth anything is about taking a chance......so if you meet someone that you think is compatible with you why wouldnt you take a chance to date them.......if the only reason you are going to date them to begin with is because they have a certain type of job then that seems shallow to me.....people lose their jobs everyday and I realize today its alot harder to find one then maybe it was a year ago but the fact remains......there are still jobs available and the people that just sit at home and complain about it or dont even put forth an effort because its not the type of job they want......are just plain lazy and you shouldnt be dating them to begin with because if they cant try and find a job then what makes you think they are gonna try and form a relationship with you.......JMO
 DocElffington
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:45:03 AM
Depends on what your bottom line is!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/29/2009 10:53:03 AM
I'm close to being laid off so I am basically not in a frame of mind or life to be a "catch" to date (should I want to date, which is another story - while working I sometimes don't either), so on that note I'd find it odd that someone else who was laid off or dealing with the economy in their own part of the world would find dating a priority or honestly be able to enjoy it.

As I always do tho, I go with the flow. If I happen to meet/connect with someone while going about my business, then sure - I'll see where it goes. But I think losing a job or anything financially off in your life makes you not the healthiest person to date. I'd assume you'd be too worried about what was going on to be able to relax and really date anyone, especially if you're actively looking.

Mostly because that's how I am.

It's neither bear or bull for me, it's just not that close to the top of the list of things to do, either way. Let's get back on track first, and then once things settle in, worry about all that other stuff.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 11:27:30 AM
That a guy had better have a job, a car, not live with his mom, etc. in order to be considered minimum dateable is not exactly anything new.

So for those who have, it's a better dating market because there are fewer of them. For those who have not, it's still the same sucky market it's always been.
 DocElffington
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 12:15:13 PM
djchickie401: I hate to say it, but I smell occupational desperation.

You know...........

Kinda like that desperation that women smell on a man that's been single way too long!

If unemployment takes you out of the dating mindset, that's fine. Just keep in mind that it doesn't affect your value as a good date!

In this kind of market, I don't hold it against someone if they are unemployed. Shyt happens!
I don't think that occupation status equals date worthiness and kinda think it shallow of someone that would make that equation.

Kind of like considering someone undateable because they are homeless. Yet the reason for them being homeless, is because a hurricane just came through and took it away!

A person's intentions come through fairly quickly. So, unemployed due to circumstances vs unemployed due to choice, are readily apparent in short order. The person that isn't working because they don't wanna work and want someone to take care of them will have a different attitude from the person that's used to/ and desires to take care of themself.
 Landra
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/29/2009 12:31:23 PM

What if you met this great person that you really would like to date. If they had a job that seemed to be on the job cut list would you begin/continue to date them, or would you play the wait and see game???
If I lost my job, I don't think I'd be all that interested in pursuing a romance.,. the stress of paying my mortgage would leave me tense and distracted. My whole focus would be on getting my situation under control. I wouldn't feel confident, secure, or optimistic. That's not a healthy state of mind to being a new relationship.
If I was dating a man with iffy job prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if he said he needed "space".

A number of my friends are worried... many are experiencing huge down-turns in their businesses, seeing their colleagues laid off, watching their investment shrivel. This doesn't mean they don't want to date... it means a lot of the frivolous nonsense of dating is exactly that: frivolous nonsense most don't have the energy or desire to tolerate. Real connections, yes... wasting time playing "the game" no.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/29/2009 2:20:27 PM

This is where I can set back and laugh until my sides hurt. I have been technically retired since 1999. 26 years old, shy of 27 and I get laid up with a disability (no job/ work because of the disability).

Ok so you can't work. That's different from being able to work and not finding (or in some cases wanting to) work.

So what makes me undatable because I have no job? I'm still the same person I have been since I was born. 36 years older, a bit wiser, and still living life whether the rich get richer or try to, and the poor continue to stay poor.

Again, it's mindset - in your case it doesn't apply, because I am sure you'd work if you could. That excludes you to some extent.

I would give you a ride in my 2000 truck, but I wasn't worth talking to when you had a job and big bucks, why would you talk to me now? I sort of like the saying about the shoe being on the other foot.

I have a 1999 truck, what does getting a ride in someone else's car have to do with anything? Again, mostly it's about my mindset about not working - not what someone has - which I never said anything about.

Someone can have all the toys in the world, but it doesn't make me want to talk to them any more than someone that has nothing. Actually it makes me want to back away and RUN FOREST RUN!

Yeah, we agree on this. Why did you quote me again? When I say healthy to date, I mean emotionally, functionally, productively. I could care less what someone has, just what I have.

Strip away a person's job, house, car/s, material things what do you have? A basic person. Now that you're a basic person we can talk!

I don't disagree.

djchickie401: I hate to say it, but I smell occupational desperation.
You know...........
Kinda like that desperation that women smell on a man that's been single way too long!

Huh? You'll have to explain that one.

If unemployment takes you out of the dating mindset, that's fine. Just keep in mind that it doesn't affect your value as a good date!

Most times, I don't have a dating mindset anyway, I just have less of one now than I did before, that's all.

In this kind of market, I don't hold it against someone if they are unemployed. Shyt happens!

I don't hold it against anyone else either. I do hold it against myself tho, and in that case, I'm no good in a dating situation. My heart's not in it (not that it really ever is).

I don't think that occupation status equals date worthiness and kinda think it shallow of someone that would make that equation.

It does to me. Until I am working and functioning and taking care of myself to my standards, I am not fit to date. I am not whole. I am extremely distracted. Just the way I am. To me, survival comes before frivolity. No one takes care of me but me, so when that's threatened - frankly I can't concentrate on much else.

Kind of like considering someone undateable because they are homeless. Yet the reason for them being homeless, is because a hurricane just came through and took it away!

I would be surprised a homeless person would even notice dating, let alone want to do it...it's about where your priorities are. Not "would someone date you" but "would you even be in the right mind to BE dating when you just lost everything?" It'd stand to reason that you'd be more interested in piecing your life back together than finding someone to go out with on a Saturday night. One is imperative and one can really wait a while.

A person's intentions come through fairly quickly. So, unemployed due to circumstances vs unemployed due to choice, are readily apparent in short order. The person that isn't working because they don't wanna work and want someone to take care of them will have a different attitude from the person that's used to/ and desires to take care of themself.

Exactly, which means that those who are overly comfortable with being unemployed tend to be those who chose it, not those who would work but can't find any. It should truly bother them to the point where they'd not enjoy themselves as much until they feel things are improving, and if it didn't bother them, I'd find it sort of a red flag - because it bothers me when I am in that situation.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 2:20:46 PM
Yea, but at with gas at $1.55 people can afford to long-distance date like they haven't for about a decade. Since the area increases as the square of the radius, prospects could concievably have increased geometrically.

Plus, with the restaurants nearly empty I've found the service, courtesy, etc. of the wait-staffs to be at an all time high level.

So it's not all gloom and doom. Especially if you turn off your TV, seeing as how much they love and profit from misfortune.
 DocElffington
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 3:05:05 PM

it means a lot of the frivolous nonsense of dating is exactly that: frivolous nonsense most don't have the energy or desire to tolerate.

GOOD!!! Maybe we can get back to the meat and potatoes of it for a lil while and pass up on the quadruple espresso n Red Bull dates?!?!?!?
 FastReb
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 9:38:57 PM
Bear or Bull doesn't really matter. Maybe what put it into perspective for me was surviving combat while close friends didn't. The randomness of who lived and who died made me appreciate every day and every opportunity I get now. The only way a job would be a consideration is if they just wanted to sit on their rear and be taken care of. Makes me think they would just put everything else getting done on my shoulders too. That situation just has no appeal at all.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2009 1:01:52 AM
Sounds like it's time to get a good bargain. Hopefully, this means people's expectations will lower, so my chances will improve.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2009 4:39:05 PM
Guess this is a bad time to tell the OP I work in the auto industry, LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Bullish or Bearish Dating Market ...