Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Hot bacon dressing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressingPage 1 of 1    
2 Tbsp bacon fat
1/4 cup vinegar
2 eggs
4 slices of bacon
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 c water
Fry bacon, crumble and put pieces over top of the dandelion greens. Use flour and bacon drippings; mix to a paste with a little of the water. Add to the beaten eggs, water and vinegar. Mix well and heat in a pan (or microwave) until thick, stirring every once and awhile to prevent lumps. When thick, pour over dandelion and serve. Ingredients vary according to the bunch of dandelions you want to make. Best when dressing is served warm. This dressing can be used over endive, garden lettuce or even potato salad.....but its best over dandylion.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/2/2009 7:49:05 PM
Much less winded, Got this from mom, She makes it often, and it is good....

Hot bacon dressing
1 c. water
1 c. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 hard boiled eggs, diced
4 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

In a small saucepan, bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil. Mix the eggs with the sugar and flour, then add to the saucepan. Stir until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the mustard, eggs, and bacon crumbs. Serve hot, tossed with a crispy salad. This dressing can be refrigerated and reheated before serving. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/2/2009 9:02:34 PM
Thanks Magic..
 Dovelett
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/5/2009 4:58:31 AM
7 to 10 pieces bacon cut up
½ c. celery diced small
1 T. garlic diced more if you want
1/8 c. green onion chop
dash of red crushed pepper optional

½ pint of vinegar

1 tsp. cornstarch depending on how thick you want this
½ pint chicken stock

1 tsp. brown sugar or to your taste
1 tsp. thyme or your taste
salt ñ pepper to taste

Fry cut up pieces of bacon until brown - crispy -do not drain* remove bacon to paper towels- add onions- celery – garlic ñ sauté until celery just soft-now- add vinegar. Bring to a simmer only- add chicken stock with cornstarch mixed together before adding - bring back to a simmer- whisking. Add brown sugar- thyme - salt ñ pepper to taste. Remove from heat ñ serve

Note –* if too much bacon grease pour off some. Sometimes I add a dash of red crushed pepper when sautéing the onions
 forums44
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/5/2009 6:02:42 PM
Boy, mine just must be too easy -

My mama used to make "killed lettuce and onions" using leaf lettuce, chopped raw onion, and she'd pour vinegar over the lettuce and then HOT BACON GREASE over that and that was it!

So "bacon dressing" to ME is just bacon grease over leaf lettuce onto which has been poured vinegar.

Too simple?

My mama used to make red eye gravy too. With all due respect, I think I'd BARF if I ate red eye gravy on a salad, lol.
 texasbaby
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/5/2009 6:21:54 PM
Mine is pretty simple too... Add a little fresh minced garlic to hot bacon grease, cook to soften garlic, add salt pepper, whisk in red wine vinegar and pour over spinich and red onion salad. Top with crumbled bacon.

tb
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/5/2009 8:49:47 PM
Hey Texas...give some Balsamic vinegar a try sometime in that...OMG it's good. And people...ya gotta adjust the sweetness of your dressing to your taste. Try it as you're making it..and remember..cooking isn't a science, it's an art.
 texasbaby
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 2/5/2009 8:59:05 PM
Oh yes, I know that would be great pupdaddy, thanks. I have some raspberry vinegar I made before Christmas, bet it would be good too.

tb
 texasbaby
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 8/29/2010 6:00:47 PM
Well, no need to get your knickers in a knot over a post made a year and a half ago.
But yes, I think all would agree ~ red eye gravy and hot bacon dressing are not the same thing.

tb
 Molly Maude
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 8/30/2010 11:45:25 AM
I'm trying to remember what I did with the recipe ... but I used to make a GREAT hot German potato salad that had a hot bacon dressing similar to the above ... I stopped making it about 1975 because my 2nd husband didn't like food like that ... I've been single for a long time now ... need to figure out what I did with that recipe ...

maybe I'll just buy some bacon and experiment using the above as guidelines!
 Bfriends4now
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:13:18 PM
Mom use to make this , similar, learned it I am sure from her German mother. Don't remember egg being involved. Mom would make it with the vinegar and sugar as you see in reciepes here. And the crumbled bacon with the hot bacon grease, then mixed with the other stuff it would quickly while still hot be poured over a deep green type of lettuce, onion, etc. . We called it "Wilted Lettuce Salad". It was so!!!!!!!!!!!!! good.

A few years ago I was talking with a bunch of guys reminiscing about things our Moms made when we were kids. One fella mentioned by name wilted lettuce salad. I asked if he was from Buffalo NY and if his mother was German. His answer was yes on both counts. Ditto for me!!

Any suggestions on making this now?? Cannot do bacon grease, OMG!!! bad for you. I guess if I cooked turkey bacon with no presevatives and warmed up some canola oil i could recreate it fairly well?? Maybe a liitle Boars Head smoked ham in with the salad then to taste it up. Any suggestions???

Bfriends4now
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Hot bacon dressing
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:59:22 PM
There was mention here by KRAZYKRAFTY of a Pennsylvania Dutch/ Amish reciepe for this. The Penn Dutch/Amish make some great dishes, hearty stuff, comfort food, ribstickers, etc. I will start a thread hoping for some of their reciepes to be posted for all of us to enjoy. I will post a few good ones. Enjoy!!!!

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Hot bacon dressing