Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Red Pepper Jelly      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustKelly70
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Red Pepper JellyPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
A friend gave me a bottle of homemade Red Pepper jelly - beside's the cream cheese and crackers appetizer, any suggestions for some yummy uses?

Here's one I did find..
Pepper Jelly Glaze..

Cooking Time: 45 min to an hour
Servings: 3
Preparation Time: 10 min
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbl. Pepper Jelly
3 Tbl. Grey Poupon mustard
3 Tbl. honey
optional: A couple dashes of hot pepper sauce, for those who like a little heat.

Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Grease or spray an oven=proof casserole, large enough to accomodate chicken.
Wipe chicken dry and arrange in the casserole.
In a small bowl, spoon in jelly and microwave about 25 seconds, just to warm enough to make mixing easier.
Add mustard and honey (and hot sauce, if used) to the warmed jelly, and stir to combine.
Pour mixture over the chicken breasts, coating all sides.
Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, turning twice during baking to glaze and brown.
Remove and place on a platter to serve, pouring the thickened glaze over the chicken to serve.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:47:11 AM
Red Pepper Jelly Dipping Sauce
1 cup of prepared red pepper jelly
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar

Set a small sauce pan over low heat. Add the pepper jelly and vinegar. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer and whisk until all ingredients are incorporated. Serve warm as a dipping sauce for lamb and pork fondue.

Pepper Jelly-Glazed Ham
4 tsp. red pepper jelly
1 ham steak, about 1 lb.

Spread 1 tbsp. jelly over both sides of ham. In greased grill pan or skillet, cook ham over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until grill-marked. Spread remaining jelly on top. Cut into quarters to serve
 JustKelly70
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/3/2009 4:25:19 PM
Thanks classic, I knew about using it on ham, But not the dip, Sounds good..
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 4
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/4/2009 10:18:40 AM
I use the Sweet pepper relish and the jelly should be about the same taste. It's great on burgers or hot dogs w/ sliced or chopped onions and some cheese. You'll get hooked on it
 Dovelett
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:26:26 AM
Found this several years ago n is very tasty!
Red Pepper Jelly Spicy

1 ½ lbs. red bell peppers about 3-
cut into 1 inch pieces -6 cups
2 tsp. dried hot red-pepper flakes
3 T. Sure-Jell less- or no-sugar-needed pectin from a 1¾ oz. box
3 1/4 cups sugar
1 c. white wine vinegar
1 T unsalted butter
3/4 tsp. salt

Special equipment: 5 (1/2-pint) canning jars with screw bands and lids; an instant-read or candy thermometer; canning tongs

Sterilize jars and lids:
Wash jars, lids, and screw bands in hot, soapy water, then rinse well. Dry screw bands. Put empty jars on a rack in a boiling-water canner or a deep 8- to 10-quart pot and add enough hot water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, covered, then boil 10 minutes. Remove canner from heat, leaving jars in water, covered. Heat lids in water to cover by 2 inches in a small saucepan until thermometer registers 180°F (do not let boil). Remove from heat. Keep jars and lids submerged in hot water, covered, until ready to use.

Make jelly
Pulse bell peppers with red-pepper flakes in a food processor until finely chopped. (Mixture will measure about 2 1/2 cups.)

Whisk together pectin and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.

Stir together pepper mixture, vinegar, butter, salt, and remaining 3 cups sugar in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot. Bring to a vigorous boil over high heat, then continue to boil vigorously, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Gradually add pectin mixture, whisking constantly. Return jelly to a vigorous boil, stirring constantly, and boil, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes (mixture will thicken slightly). Remove from heat.

Carefully remove jars and lids with canning tongs, then drain jars upside down on a clean kitchen towel and quickly dry lids. Invert jars and immediately ladle hot jelly into jars, leaving 1/4 inch of space at top. (Last jar may not be full.) Run a clean plastic spatula between jelly and sides of jars to eliminate air bubbles. Wipe off rims of filled jars with a damp clean kitchen towel, then firmly screw on lids with screw bands.

Seal and process jars
Put sealed jars on rack in canner or pot and add enough hot water to cover by 2 inches. (If you have a jar that is partially full, do not process it. Cover it with a lid and screw band, then keep in refrigerator.) Bring to a full boil, covered, then boil jelly, covered, 15 minutes. Transfer jars with canning tongs to a towel-lined surface to cool. Jars will seal; if you hear a ping, that means that the vacuum formed above the cooling jelly has made the lid concave. Remember that you may or may not be around to hear the ping. The important thing is for the jars to eventually have concave lids. Jelly will thicken as it cools.

After jars have cooled, 12 to 24 hours, press center of each lid to check that it's concave, then remove screw band and try to lift lid with your fingertips. If you can't, the lid has a good seal. Replace screw band. Put any jars that haven't sealed properly in the refrigerator and use them first (along with jar that was only partially full).
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:21:00 AM
so the pepper is red bell. and the heat is from flake?

I thought they used like red jalepenos.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 11:37:09 AM
There are different recipes for red pepper jelly - most use red peppers or a combination of red/green/yellow bell peppers with jalapeno added for heat. Then there are some that the hotter peppers are the main ingredient.

Hot Pepper Jelly
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
6 medium jalapeño or serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
6-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
1 pouch Certo fruit pectin

Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling. Place green, red and jalapeño or serrano peppers and vinegar in 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir in sugar. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Add crushed red pepper, if desired; stir until well blended. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8-inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Use large canning tongs to place jars into large canner. Water must cover jars by 1-2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 20 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. This may take several hours. After jars cool completely, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.

Justin Wilson’s Hot Pepper Jelly
1 bell pepper, ground or finely chopped
1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped hot peppers (I use cayenne peppers)
6 cups sugar
6 ounces liquid pectin
4 drops green food coloring

Place the bell pepper in a blender with the vinegar, and pulse until the pepper is chopped into about 1/8 inch pieces; mix in the chopped hot peppers. Place this liquid in a medium-sized saucepan with the sugar, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Bring to a rolling boil, then continue to boil and stir constantly for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pectin and food coloring. Pour into sterilized jars and seal with sterilized new lids, following the manufacturer’s directions. Cool and label.

NOTE: When handling hot peppers, use rubber gloves to protect your hands, and DON’T touch your eyes

Hot Pepper Jelly
2-3 small green bell peppers
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin
3-4 hot red or green peppers
6-1/2 cups sugar
red or green food coloring, optional
1-12 cups cider vinegar

Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers in a blender or food processor and puree until liquefied – if needed, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending. Puree the hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and add Certo. Add food coloring if using. Bring to a boil again and pour jelly into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 1:27:59 PM
This is what's in the jar I have..

3 green peppers
3 red peppers
2 hot peppers (I only used one in the stuff you had but next time I would use 2)
seed and chop the peppers finely
7 cups of sugar
2/3 cups vinegar
2/3 cups lemon juice
1 certo pouch
add vinegar, sugar and peppers to a pot on high and bring to a boil and reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
remove from heat and let stand about 5 mins. Return to stove
Add lemon juice and one certo pouch, let it come to a boil again, and boil for 1 min.
bottle
Enjoy!!
 KingJPW
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:12:56 PM
Sounds delicious. I'll have to try it sometime.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:40:28 PM
Now that we know how to make it, I would still like Idea's on what to do with it other than the appetizer cream cheese thing...Ive googled it and nothing much come's up..
Some family uses you have used for yrs would be nice..
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/8/2009 9:41:52 PM
Beside being used on canapés or as a spread for sandwiches you can melt it and use as a glaze on meats or poultry. You can also use a small amount in dishes like jambalaya or mix a bit in with ground beef when making meatloaf or hamburgers. Granny occasionally used it as a glaze on moose and deer roasts.

Hot Pepper Jelly Pecan Penuche
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup hot pepper jelly
1/4 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

In saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk, return to boil. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. Using a wooden spoon beat sugar into cooled butter mixture until blended and smooth. Stir in hot pepper jelly and pecans. Press in an 8" square greased pan. Refrigerate until firm. Cut in squares.

Hot Pepper Jelly Red Beans and Rice
2 bags small red beans – don’t use kidney beans
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 lb. smoked or sugar cured ham
1 tsp. garlic juice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Cajun seasoning to taste

Wash beans and add to cold water, bring to a boil. As water heats, add sausage, ham and seasonings. Cook at least four hours.

Hot Pepper Jelly Egg Salad
8 hard cooked eggs, peeled & chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/8 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup hot pepper jelly
1 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. horseradish mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper, or to taste
16 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and cooled

In a bowl, combine chopped eggs, celery, mayonnaise, hot pepper jelly, onion flakes, horseradish mustard and pepper to taste; cover and chill. Fill shells with 1 teaspoon heaping egg mixture.

Hot Pepper Jelly Eggs in Bacon Rings
6 long slices bacon
6 eggs, lightly beaten
6 tsp. hot pepper jelly
salt and pepper to taste
parsley, garnish

Curl slices of bacon around the inside of muffin pan. Whisk hot pepper jelly into beaten eggs and pour into each cup within the bacon ring, season with salt and pepper; bake at 325°F until set but not hard. Remove from pan carefully so bacon remains fastened to egg. Garnish with parsley.

Hot Pepper Jelly Scalloped Corn
16 oz. cream style corn
1/3 cup hot pepper jelly
1 cup cracker crumbs
2 beaten eggs
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup diced American cheese
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 cup milk

In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into greased 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350°F about 50 minutes until top is lightly browned and center is set.

Pork Loin with Red Pepper Jelly and Cilantro
4 lb. pork loin
1/3 cup red pepper jelly
1 tsp. amber agave, optional
kosher salt to taste
cracked pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Salt and pepper the pork. Lightly oil a baking dish. Mix the red pepper jelly and agave, if using; heat until the jelly liquefies; brush over the meat
Place in pan fat side up. Bake for 30 minutes a pound, or until internal temp is 160°F.
Brush with remaining jelly, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with pan juices.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 12
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/9/2009 12:33:55 AM
Clssic~

1 lb. smoked sausage
1 tsp. garlic juice
Cajun seasoning to taste

Wash beans and add to cold water, bring to a boil. As water heats, add sausage, ham and seasonings. Cook at least four hours.

do you use the jelly as a topping?
 Dovelett
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:40:28 AM
SAguy

That sounds awesome with SMOKED ham maybe adding a little bacon with all that you listed........ What Cajun seasonings do you use???
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:01:06 AM
Oops - forgot the jelly.

1 lb. smoked sausage
1 tsp. garlic juice
1/4 - 1/2 cup hot pepper jelly, or to taste
Cajun seasoning to taste

Wash beans and add to cold water, bring to a boil. As water heats, add sausage, ham, hot pepper jelly and seasonings. Cook at least four hours.

Cajun seasoning - use your favourite brand.
 not2fishy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 2/9/2009 8:18:07 AM
Thanks you guys! I've been wanting a pepper jelly recipe for some time now and I'm gonna try these out.
 pc92028
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 1/21/2011 8:54:11 PM
Here are two of my favorite just pepper jelly' s. I also make Pomegranate Jalapeño, Lime Jalapeño, Orange Jalapeño, Lemon/Line Jalapeño and my Lemon Jalapeño jelly won first place at the Del Mar Fair last year.

Jalapeño Jelly or for more heat Jalapeño Habanero jelly

1 pound Jalapeños
2 cups apple cider vinegar
7 cups sugar
1 package sure jell

For more heat add 1 or 2 Habanero peppers

I like to leave the seeds in so I just remove the stems from the peppers cut into pieces and place in a blender with one cup of cider. Puree the peppers and place into pan with second cup of cider. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and allow to cook at a low boil for around 20 minutes. Remove from heat. While you are doing this prepare 8 1/2 pint jars in water bath. Add sure jell and bring to a boil and allow to boil for one minute, remove from heat, add sugar and bring to rolling boil stirring constantly , allow jelly to boil for just one minute, remove from heat and pure into the jars. Place sealed jars back into water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 7 to 8 jars.
 karma1160
Msg: 17
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 1/25/2011 6:26:27 PM
I love to use pepper jelly in stirfrys it adds an excellant extra tang to an asian dish.
My absolute favorite though is using it as a dipping sauce for hush puppies.
 mamamugg
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Red Pepper Jelly
Posted: 10/24/2011 11:56:51 AM
I just finished a batch of Habanero Pepper jelly...not "red" but looks beautiful!
Can't wait to try it with cream cheese, and crackers...as a dip for deep fried yummies like mushrooms, cheese sticks, jalapeno poppers, etc.

Mixed with shredded sharp cheddar cheese...kinda a twist on pimento cheese spread.

My son will luv' your idea karma as a dip for hush puppies! I bet mixed with cream cheese, it would really make a good dip for hush puppies.

Next on my agenda is apple butter!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Red Pepper Jelly