Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Italian Ministrone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustKelly70
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Italian MinistronePage 1 of 1    
Italian Ministone

This is from ma's hand writen cookbook:)

1/2 lb gr beef
1 lrg onion
1 clove garlic
1 cup celery
1 6 oz can tomater paste
1 beef boulion cube
5 cps water
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup mararoni
parmesan to taste
1 med sized zuchini
1/2 package spinach
2 slices o bacon

Cook bacon till crisp, remove and add beef, onion, and garlic to remaining fat in pan.

cook stirring frequantly, drain fat off, Add celery, mater paste, boulion, water, sugar and seasoning.

Bring to boil, cover and simmer 1/2 hr.
Add Macaroni, cover, Cook for 10 min, Add bacon, veg, and cook untill macaroni is tender..
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:09:34 PM
Awesome looking recipe JK - only thing I'd change is the tomato paste. Not a great fan so I'd omit it and add a can of Italian plum tomatoes, broken up.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:28:14 PM
Great suggestion CC..
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:46:32 PM

I'm NOT too much into spinach... Popeye I'm NOT...

If you don't like spinach, you can use any of the following, remember to remove stems:

Kale - takes longer to cook
Chinese spinach - more delicate flavour
Swiss chard - more flavour but like kale, takes a bit longer to cook
Sorrel - colour fades when cooked so add some parsley
Turnip greens - like kale, takes longer to cook
 Dovelett
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:40:26 PM
My friend sent me her mothers recipe several years back.
Minestrone
Each region in Italy has its own variation of minestrone. This is the version from Calabria, Italy where my parents were from.

3 lbs. of 7-bone roast or something similar- like the shin of beef, etc.
Salt
4 quarts water
4 medium carrots pared and diced
4 springs parsley-fresh is better, but dried is okay
2 large celery stalks cut up in small pieces
1 large onion diced
1 bay leaf large
1 can large can Italian diced tomatoes
1 can chick-peas or red kidney beans or use or half a can of each
1 - 10 oz.pkg. green beans frozen cut
1 - 10 oz. pkg.frozen peas
2 c. chopped escorale (or chopped cabbage)
2 med. potatoes, diced (optional)
1/4 lb.perciatelli or spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces.
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried sweet basil or Italian seasonings
1 can Beef broth to add if necessary

Place beef, 1 tablespoon salt, and water in a large kettle. Bring to boiling, covered half way; then skim surface. (It takes a while for all that foam to clear - just keep skimming).

Add carrots, parsley, celery, onion and optional potatoes, garlic powder and bay leaf, simmer,(lowest flame) uncovered 3 hours.

Remove beef and with a large straining spoon remove vegetables and set aside. Throw away bay leaf. Strain broth--there should be about 7 cups.

In kettle, combine broth, tomatoes, chick-peas, or beans, escorale, pasta, 2 teaspoons salt
and pepper, sweet basil; bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat and simmer, cover partially with cover on kettle, for about 45 minutes.

Cut meat from bone and remove any fat, and cut into small pieces. Add meat and vegetables to the simmering soup. Add more of the canned broth if needed. (taste for seasonings)

Note: you can substitute small Distali pasta instead of broken perciatelli or spaghetti.
Using escorale is really good.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:59:58 PM
Well actually...

There is no set recipe for minestrone,since it is usually made out of whatever vegetables are in season. It can be vegetarian, contain meat, or contain a meat-based broth (such as chicken stock). The word "minestrone" has become a synonym for "hodgepodge."

Minestrone is one of the cornerstones of Italian cuisine, and is just about as common as pasta on Italian tables.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/8/2009 9:43:16 PM
Love soups like this - granny called them "everything but the kitchen sink" soups because she could use anything and everything from the fridge or garden.
 Dovelett
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:37:49 AM
Yep and they always turn out good n filling with hot butter bread on cold winter days or anytime you want to clean out the fridgerator....
 JustKelly70
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 2/10/2009 6:35:46 AM
How was it pazoo?
 lara2009
Msg: 10
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 3/14/2009 12:43:54 PM
You can make ministrone from anything left over in your fridge.

Use up scraps of meat or even the bones, chicken, beef, just put in a pot and boil with alot of water.

All you need is some kind of base and add anything from there, vegetables, tomatoes, leftover tomato sauce, beans, lentils, winter greens, wild greens, mushrooms, pasta, rice, barley, wheat, couscous.etc.

If you don't have meet to boil try using chopped bacon, ham, or pork; just fry some and add onions and garlic and then add plenty of water let that boil and then add the rest of the ingredients.
 jojoaus
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 3/14/2009 11:16:35 PM
I make a veggo version of minstrone- as pointed out it really can have just about anything in it! Instead of pasta my kids like to have 4-bean mix in there, which ups the protein levels too. Lately we have been using less Italian herb and more fresh basil, which really compliments the tomatoes. I read a recipe once which called for a good dollop of pesto which would have a similar effect. I serve with hot turkish bread. In winter months we have this every week
 mik1950
Msg: 12
Italian Ministrone
Posted: 3/15/2009 3:43:26 AM
jojo...what is turkish bread?...not familiar with it
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Italian Ministrone