Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  > Guide to Body Types      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Guide to Body TypesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Okay, I thought I should put up a guide for people to make their profiles so they can figure out what to put as their body type.

Athletic: Just because you played baseball in high school doesn't mean you're "athletic," especially if high school was over 20 years ago. Try this: Punch yourself in the stomach. If the sound is more of a "squish" then a "thud," then don't put down "athletic" as your body type.

Thin: Just a hint -- "36-24-36" does not refer to your leg measurements.

Average: This is, of course, meant to represent the average human and not the average orca.

Curvy: Just because each roll of fat is roughly curved in shape does not mean you are "curvy."

A Few Extra Pounds: Although "a few" is loosely defined here, if another person about the same height as you can't clasp their wrist when they wrap their arms around you, you've crossed the threshold.

Big & Tall/BBW: If you're honest enough to put this down as your body type, then let's just leave it at that. Adding pseudo-pithy phrases to your profile like "more cushion for the pushin'" just make you sound like an idiot.

Prefer Not to Say: If you're far above the median and a little afraid to put that down in your profile, you might as well just bite the bullet and do it. After all, if you don't, we're just going to assume the worst anyway.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled fishing.
 PAClassyLady
Msg: 2
Delusional self-image.
Posted: 4/28/2009 4:35:27 PM
"Height/weight proportionate" does not mean "as tall as wide."

Athletic: Men use this term and proudly say "I wear the same size pants that I did in high school." They just neglect to tell you that they wear them 6" lower than they did then, just below their huge beer gut.
When women use this term it's best to beware. Sometimes it means "I can whip any man's butt that says I'm not 'athletic'."

Average: In the USA, please remember that in 2004 the New York Times reported that 66% of the Amerian people are at least 30 lbs. overweight. That's "average" now.

Petite is a term that men just do not understand. Petite is a women's fashion term meant for women under 5'4" tall. Period. The sleeves and legs are cut shorter to accomodate them. A woman can be 5'3" and 300 lbs. and is considered "petite". A woman who is 5'8" and 120 lbs., while "slim", is not petite. (Quit telling me I am.)

PAClassyLady
Msg: 3
Not in MY country, you don't!
Posted: 4/28/2009 6:00:30 PM
JM, not sure if "contortionist" is a body type, but in my case it's a hobby. It may be a profession as well, but I'm sure I'm way too old to be one now. Being a Cult Leader suits me just fine, and I'm sure it's much more profitable.

(I tried to PM you, but you don't accept messages from third-world countries, I guess.)

Mozard
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What defines an athlete?
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:59:19 PM
I think they should offer us more accurate descriptions for body type for sure .. but I always say "exlinebacker" .. no I never played football but that's really how I look.
 justcuzwhatever
Msg: 5
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/24/2009 9:54:42 AM

and a few extra pounds, oh god... people are always stretching this.

I get why this category gets pushed, though... your choices are a few extra pounds or BBW... nothing in between... So if you're more than, what, 10 pounds overweight you automatically go into BBW status? Bullsh*t!

I'm about 20 pounds overweight. I'm 5-3 and wear size 11 jeans. I'm most comfortable as a size 9, but again, I'm about 20 pounds overweight. I still shop in the "juniors" department, not the "women's" department.

So... since I'm more than "a few" pounds overweight ... but I'm not a "BBW" ... so what category SHOULD I select?

Personally.... I'm a firm believer in the full body photo, then it doesn't freakin' matter what category you pick. And back when I was here for dating instead of just the forums... I ALWAYS had a current full body photo as well as a headshot. Saved a lot of trouble.
 NYCman530
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/24/2009 10:26:36 AM
What I can't understand is a woman who just displays her face in her photo, says she's average body type, then when guys meet her, she's 30 or 40 pounds overweight. Or if she says a few extra pounds, that can often mean 50 or 60 pounds overweight. Be honest, ladies! I guess some guys can be guilty of the same thing, but if a person seriously wants to develop a relationship, they shouldn't hide who they are. Don't be afraid to display your whole body because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even though I personally prefer women who are average, athletic, or slim, the same way some women prefer men who are over 6 feet, have a full head of hair, or earn a 6 figure salary.
 42 L F Everything
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/24/2009 7:06:34 PM
Okay what is a few extra pounds for us guys. A % over the ideal BMI? or a few pounds over the local average weight. Know a couple of people that are close to the ideal BMI yet have either man titties or the Buddha Belly just no leg or arm muscle.

Hey maybe those should be added to the descriptions.
 ~DASHING~
Msg: 8
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/24/2009 8:43:04 PM
I gotta go edit my profile
 SarahTM
Msg: 9
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/25/2009 1:17:42 AM
Everyone should just post a nude photo on his/her profile, that would solve this problem immediately.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 8/25/2009 12:55:46 PM

Everyone should just post a nude photo on his/her profile, that would solve this problem immediately.

Hehe, I used to be a member of a nudist dating site. Sadly, there are far too many fake profiles and waaaaaaay more men than women. I did, however, make a couple of chat buddies on there, though. One of whom lives in Michigan and I still chat with her on a fairly regular basis.
 dja6161
Msg: 11
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 2/28/2010 8:46:33 AM
I just think it's hilarious that people will put "athletic" as there body types....then when you go to meet them....they should be placed in the few extra pounds or prefer not to say category.....you wanna talk about liars....there are plenty of them on this site.
 forgoodlove
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:23:11 PM
I would like to put my body type description as "wanna be" better, is there something like that in POF?

"Average:", specially for women(my experience), means larger than what an airplane seat can handle comfortably and that is not being mean, just telling it as it is...
 Carriespix1
Msg: 13
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:44:14 PM
a friend and i had this very conversation just the other day.
he thinks there should be a "great personality" option. lmao
for those that don't have the looks or what have yous..
and i personally have gone between "a few extra" and BBW.. i'm just not sure where i fit. yes i'm a big girl, but no one has a problem putting thier arms around me. even my 8 year old son. sooo... i don't know. i think if it was there, i'd choose "great personality" but only because i actually have one. ;)
 sir_spanky
Msg: 14
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 3/13/2011 7:47:47 PM
RFLO....this is soo true. I have never seen so many people lying about their body size. Typical one is average....but when you look at the photos, they clearly sho she is at least 20 to 30 pounds over weight ( average is what someone your age and height should weigh...no clue? call your doctor and maybe they can clue you in on what you should be ). Nothing against big girls, some of my friends are...i just prefer the athletic ones.
 MsRavenHoney
Msg: 15
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 3/22/2011 11:46:50 PM
I take curvy to be like Marilyn Monroe, voluptuous and sexy with enough to be 'cuddly' - but I said 'a few extra pounds' because I'm not on the 'charts' - - I'm an over achiever lol...... but ya know, gals look at this too and men are HORRID at putting 'athletic or average' I guess they are referring to 'athletic and average couch potato'

this evil door of self description swings both ways

personally I think full length photos should be more plentiful than photos of pets, any pet photo w/o a body should be deleted....... or posted to a puppy lovers site
 THEBrunetteBombshell
Msg: 16
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 9/18/2011 1:25:43 AM
I agree with everything but the statement about `perfer not to say`
I recently switched from BBW to perfer not to say.
I have had men I met tell me I am far from BBW and have had some men tell me I am as big as Free Willy so I did not know what to put for body type. Body type is based on perspective, I don`t even think the option should be there because we have pictures and webcams, individuals can decide for themself if the other person fits thier own personal preferrence for the body type of someone they want to date.
So I encourage everyone to not get hung up on the body type feature, some of us really just don`t know what to put in there.
 taleswapper51
Msg: 17
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:45:59 AM
Perhaps, 'other' would be preferrable to 'prefer not to say'. In my case, I go from around 165# to 180# in a flash, but just as quickly can return to 165#. It depends if I'm wearing my leg or not. I haven't weighed in with my wheelchair, because I can't manage to balance myself with it on my bathroom scale. I feel I'm okay, but others have commented I'm too thin, and want to 'feed me up'.

You've the right of it, though, that the body type feature could be safely deleted. Were I looking for a specific body type, my motives would definitely be suspect. Personality is much more important, but I don't know what each of the fish stand for.
 bated1
Msg: 18
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 9/22/2011 4:38:19 AM
This made me laugh.....the whole body type thing...should be a what is your perception of your body type? I have met all of it...those who think they are thin, men who think they are fat, ones who think they are in shape, some who believe they are STILL athletes, and those who are so crazed about their body there isnt room for the third person in their ongoing love affair!
 Nicolai_Conrad
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 9/22/2011 1:19:05 PM
Yey I'm slim although when I punch my gut I feel sick and may have cracked a bone or two.
 Biker_Dad
Msg: 20
Guide to Body Types
Posted: 10/2/2011 11:12:41 AM
My experience is:

Athletic--- anything from body builder to BBW-with huge chest (resembling an NFL full back). Very few are actually in shape and truly athletic.

Thin------ what now is apparently "average" for height, weight, body mass index (BMI). Also includes huge midsection, large chest, thick neck, but skinny arms and legs.

Average-- about 25 pounds (or more) overweight (compared to correct BMI)

Prefer Not to Say--- RUN!!!!!!

BBW--- these girls are honest and secure in who they are.

Age--- you can shave off a couple years, but 5 or more? folks notice.

By the way--- when you say "average", "thin", or "athletic", if we meet you and you do not fit your pic or your self description, we will notice. If you are better? fantastic.

This applies to the guys too! Guys--- they WILL notice. Getting a date under false advertisement only leads to disappointment. That's usually grounds that can't be made up for by your shining personality or your wads of cash. Well, sometimes the wads of cash can do it, depending on the date.
Show ALL Forums  > humor  > Guide to Body Types