Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Repair or Replace      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sage5735
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Repair or ReplacePage 1 of 1    
Anyone have any info on what it cost to have a dryer switch replaced (it doesn't turn on)

Do you mean the interrupter switch when you open the door?

Or do you mean the Timer?

Or the 'Start' button?

what it costs to have the washer repaired (it no longer agitates)

Check out this "Ask This Old House" video at YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidoGfP0eqU

Most older washers are belt driven. Maybe yours needs replacing.

After turning on the washer, which fills with water to the chosen level, there is a distinct 'click' of the transmission solenoid.
Do you hear the 'click' ?

Anyone have any experience or advise? What about buying a new set?

Is it paid for? Has it performed great for the past 20 years?
Does it promise to return all those missing socks?

I vote for repair!

redsss
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Repair or Replace
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:53:31 AM
Myself I don't think it's worth going and buying a new toilet to save $50.00.
I like the idea of the pop bottles with sand if you want to cut down on water.
 mrrabbit13
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Repair or Replace
Posted: 2/18/2009 10:50:09 AM
Thanks Sage for the youtube link. From there I am pretty sure my washer is having a failing motor coupler, and will try to fix it.

I vote for repair too.

Unlike electronic toys today, I found most of those house items that last and work for the last 20 years are built to last for 100 years....
 TooShadows
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Repair or Replace
Posted: 2/19/2009 10:33:58 AM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to look at repairing your appliances,especially if you can get an estimate on the cost. What you may want to consider though is how old the appliances are and take into consideration that other things may break down on them. Personally I'd be considering purchasing new ones if the money is there. Then you'll have a lot of years of worry free washing.
Check out the Sears at Kildonan Place for appliances. They have a good selection of scratch and dent appliances. I bought a dryer there in 1999 for $200 off the regular price and ot's still going strong.
 Tin_Man
Msg: 10
Repair or Replace
Posted: 2/23/2009 4:37:39 PM
Somewere along the line, I spent 8 months in an appliance repair shop, rebuilding, you guessed it.... washing machines.

As far as a preference between top loaders and front loaders...

Front loaders tend to be more effecient in terms of water usage, and they do not beat up your clothes near as much as a top loader. Therefore you get longer wear out of your clothes. They are also much simpler mechanically, thus easier to fix. Note that easier does not always translate into cheaper.

It is true that unless mounted on a proper stand, you have to bend down to use a front loader... and although I have not looked at prices in a long time, it used to be that front loaders were significantly more expensive to purchase. It was generally considered by people "in the know" at the time that you got the difference in the purchase price back many times over in savings on both clothes and energy.

This tended to be born out in the fact that most large laundrys (ex hospital, commercial, etc) used front loaders.

My vote for what it is worth.... front loader.

As for the cost of fixing the dryer... It actually depends on which switch has failed. It can be one of three or four that come to mind. It will depend on which switch... This will affect both the cost of the switch, and the work involved in changing it.

As for the washer that will not agitate... if the washer will spin, then it is not the belt. This leads to asking what kind of washer is it. Depending on the brand, it could be as simple as a broken wire, and 20 minutes to fix, to a busted transmission.

If you would like to send me more information, I would be happy to give you less generic responses on the repairs. :)

T_M
 Tin_Man
Msg: 12
Repair or Replace
Posted: 2/25/2009 8:15:08 PM
The inglis washer can probably be repaired fairly inexpensively by someone not trying to rip you off.

It sounds like the "wig-wag" (yes, that is the proper name) is not pulling in... typically fairly inexpensive to fix.

Inglis washers have a nearly bullet proof transmission...

GE on the other hand... are not so simple, expensive to replace, and dump oil on clothes when they die.

If it is only a start button on the dryer, then again, fairly simple and inexpensive to fix...

T_M
 Tin_Man
Msg: 15
Repair or Replace
Posted: 4/6/2009 8:56:42 PM
The socks end up in between the inner and outer tubs... where they ground into nothingness... And pumped out with the water.

T_M
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 16
Repair or Replace
Posted: 4/7/2009 7:52:53 AM
no they don't...........they wind up in the middle of road after getting run over trying to escape [special thanx to george carlin]............
 1northguide
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Repair or Replace
Posted: 4/10/2009 12:21:09 PM
No Way,, in the swirling vortex that is the washing machine they get sucked thru a wormhole,and passed though time to appear in another washer on the same plane at a different time,,
sometimes appearing at the worst times on sleeves and backs of shirts we remove from the dryer when in a rush to a job interview or similar important life changing meeting,,
making us look foolish and not in control of our time,,
 Tin_Man
Msg: 18
Repair or Replace
Posted: 4/10/2009 4:22:58 PM
Only when you buy the deluxe models with transwarp technology :)

T_M
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Repair or Replace