Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why are some people against hunting?Page 1 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Your kenning on sport is understood but for the sake of convention Sportsmen refers to Hunters, Anglers, etc. Most folks "against" hunting simply don't understand the purpose it fills in a modern world, game management for finite habitats. In more than 70 years The Pittman-Robertson Act has grown to fund wildlife and land management to the tune of more than 2 billion bucks annually. Throw in hundreds of millions more in license fees and you have the biggest annual contribution to conservation, period.

Conservation has some legendary names, hunters like Teddy Roosevelt, Aldo Leopold, and Gifford Pinchot among them. For those that dismiss hunting out of hand I also encourage them to look into who lead the efforts to protect the public lands they recreate on. You just might be suprised.

We have many divisive issues in this country; wolf and other predator management among them. We'll argue over which species should get preferential treatment where and when.

However if we shelve the emotional vitriol on the few divisive issues there are and act on the environmental goals we all share in common we might actually get a dialogue of substance going on those divisive issues wrapped up in emotion right now.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Why are some people against hunting?
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:29:15 PM
Your opinion is quite respectable Starstuff. you took a commendable step onto middle ground there. Anyone with any kind of a problem with it is someone not interested in the ultimate understanding the greater outdoor community could come to so easily if not for the emotional vitriol of self serving agendas.

I don't like the concept of trophy hunting either.

However I've got a pet albeit entirely speculative theory that in certain habitats trophy hunting could ultimately help by expanding the gene pool by removing certain dominant males and allowing multiple, younger males, to breed in the place of each dominant male that is removed. I understand the idea of dominant trait desirability, however I've got to believe there are exceptions to every rule.

Edit: Nothing like the consumption of stereotype. Since I can't add a reply here to your quote below and since I think all Sportsmen using high powered,a ccurate weaposn is more humane than more primitive stuff and with all due respect, my favorite Elmer Fudd qoute is without question:

"AHhhhhhaaaahhhhhahhhhahhhhhahhhhh......."
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 4:02:15 PM

i would rather shoot a deer to control their population and to eat than hit it with my car. where i live they are all over the place.

Speaking of cars being all over the place-

A woman called the highway department, insisting they remove the "deer crossing" sign near her home.
"It isn't safe for them to cross there any more," she said, "a lot of them are getting hit."

Couldn't resist.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 4:17:50 PM
I wuv wabbit.

Baked, broiled, grilled, fried, cut up into chunks and made into stew, whatever. More white meat than chicken...

Squirrel can be tasty, but wabbit- yum.

I believe there is a statistic that deer injure more people in the US than all other wild animals combined. I'll google that in a bit.

I like venison as well, but it's so lean it needs to be cooked wrapped in bacon, or fried in bacon grease.

Just make sure you don't shoot other hunters. Avoid hunting parties that include sitting or former vice-presidents.
 moresexnow
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/19/2009 4:27:54 PM
yes wimpy
much more manly to treat an animal with love and kindness feed it then slaughter it and sell it for profit.

ppl buy meat in stores and dont think that it was alive, that they are part of the circle of life.

its just a brown mcpaddy with cheese.

all things have a place in nature predator and prey.

hunt veggies

or hunt meat

dont cry that others are diff than you.

cheers
 moresexnow
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/19/2009 4:32:21 PM
yes wimpy(haha)
much more manly to treat an animal with love and kindness, feed it, then slaughter it and sell it for profit.

ppl buy meat in stores and dont think that it was alive, that they are part of the circle of life.

its just a brown mcpaddy with cheese.

all things have a place in nature, predator and prey.

hunt veggies

or hunt meat

dont cry that others are diff than you.

cheers
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:04:07 PM
What a coincidence - I had just put some ground venison on the woodstove for dinner and checked in here while it cooks only to find a thread about how I got the venison in the first place.

Almost all of my red meat consumption is deer. I'll hunt for some of them, and neighbors give me the rest. I lost track of how many I butchered this year - maybe eight? Much of it I grind up for meals like tonight's burrito meat smothered in sharp cheddar cheese, but I also make jerky, summer sausage, chili, and save the tenderloins for special occasions.

I get no thrill from the hunt, but do feel better about getting my own meat rather than supporting concentrated animal feed lot operations. I only hunt animals that are in great abundance, and never predators. There are so many deer on my land that new trees can't get started and the ecosystem is in imbalance. There are a few coyote around, and unconfirmed reports of the occasional mountain lion, but nowhere near enough to bring the deer population back down to a healthier number.

If a predator came after me and I had my gun I just might shoot it, but only if I feared for my life. Otherwise I'll leave them be and hope their numbers increase.

Oh, and you'll find no dead animal heads on my walls.

I respect those vegetarians who oppose hunting. I just have come to a different point of view. I never hunted until I moved here to my wooded homestead. Should I ever move where I can't hunt on my own land I'll probably stop hunting and return to my old habit of buying organic beef.

I have had women over the years choose not to consider me because I hunt. My current gal wants me to teach her how to butcher, so all's good on that front!

I don't consider hunting to be sport, but rather my means of keeping meat in the freezer, nearly free and a whole lot healthier than any meat I'd find at a store.

Dave
 Twill348
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:07:50 PM
Don't like hunting, but I like to shoot. Love shooting people, that's the best! (Paintball, of course!)

Hunting is an instinct, asking why people like it is like asking why they like to eat.

Those huntin' guys will sure come in handy if there is a shortage of food. For a short while, anyways.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:14:39 PM
This is for all of the anti hunting, pet owning vegetarians out there.

How do you justify feeding your pets(Cat, dog's etc) food that is made out of animals?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:15:09 PM
eating is an instinct...hunting is tool.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:37:46 PM

tell me would you kill a coyote to keep him off your horse?

What's a coyote going to do to a horse? I don't think a coyote could even bring down a full grown deer, much less a horse. Please educate me if I'm wrong, but I imagine a horse could easily fend off a coyote if need be.

Dave
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 5:56:16 PM

wuvwaterfall yes coyotes easily take down full grown animals, what did you think they eat?

I think they eat rabbits, mice, and other small game. After posting my question I googled a bit and found the following discussion on coyotes vs. horses:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080306124301AANzdNl

The consensus appears to be that only very sick horses or newborn foals just might be at risk, not full grown horses.

I know people love to hunt coyotes, and claim they're responsible for every lost sheep, chicken, dog, or cat. But I've not seen any evidence to back up those claims. Natural predators are an important part of the ecosystem, and humans, frankly, don't do a very good job of replacing those predators, whether we hunt or not.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/19/2009 7:55:23 PM

How do you justify feeding your pets(Cat, dog's etc) food that is made out of animals?

Many do not.
 daynadaze
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 8:49:00 PM
I don't hunt, don't care much for game meat, except the deer jerky. I know lots of people who hunt, it's part of their yearly supply of meat, they don't hunt to just kill they hunt to eat. Just because I buy my meat in a store, doesn't mean the animals were some how spared.

What is with saying you don't eat meat because animals are alive, plants are alive. If someone wants to be a veggie, no problem, but stop with the high horse crap, people eat meat, it's natural, we all make our choices, someone isn't a better person for only killing plants to eat.

Do people know that there's a big problem with cats having diabetes? It comes from feeding them dry food and starchy veggies crap that they should not have. Cats & dogs aren't veggie eaters, just because you domesticate them doesn't mean you should be cruel and feed them the wrong food. How ignorant have people become???
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:38:25 AM
i have no problem with subsistence hunting done ethically.

except for the fact that every hunting season the boneheads go out in the woods, carrying on, and the deer get all flipped out and run out on the highway. pa typically leads the nation in deer-related traffic accidents.

if the state or property owners would install stormbreak or some other barrier along the roadsides, i wouldn't have such a problem with it. but it happens all the time and gets worse every year.
 militarymike88
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/20/2009 8:07:36 AM
It is very rare for a deer or any game to die instantly from a shot. Its like when you cut off the heads of chickens, nerves and adrenaline keep it "alive" and running for about 10 seconds. Same thing with a deer or other large game but much more because its a bigger animal.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:04:58 PM

Ever notice how vegans are pasty white and look sick? Becuase they are sick they are not getting the nutrients that a human needs...they have to take amino acid pills etc. And its funny how vegan's have an issue showering or no offence seem to smell a lil funny.

Then i should thank every body though my life who is too polite to tell me how bad I smell. lol
 junipermoon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:23:31 PM

You would need a ten foot high fence along every road

yes. that's what i'd like to see.

I have SEEN at least ten deer get hit yet i have never hit one.

you're lucky.

For some reason it always seems to be the moron that passes me at 65 after dark.

ok. i've never hit a deer. however, i've been hit by deer twice. they come flying out of the woods and slam into the side of the vehicle. it doesn't matter how carefully you drive when that happens.

so now i drive at about 35 mph on the backcountry roads in the winter. but i know i can still get hit. so i avoid those roads unless i have perfect visibility.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/20/2009 6:31:04 PM

Ah love you really need to learn about just how well animals can defend themselves. When you go hunting you take the risk of being attacks and even possibly killed by these giant beast. Have you ever even seen a moose? Huge creatures that could either stamp you to death or beat you to death with it's antler.s

Yes, there would be a danger. This is why hunters sneak around and attack from distance and with high power weapon, so the animal can not defend.

Yes, you can defend against an armed person who sneak in your back yard also, but your chances are not good to survive.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/20/2009 6:52:30 PM
Lexy you are arguing about something completly stupid. What is your point about an animal being able to defend itself or not??

I quoted the part that I was reply to. Reread this.
 raxarsr
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:19:42 PM
many anti hunters think of animals as people....thx to walt disney......the fact is....most animals are food.....there are relitively small nimbers of predators......trouble it....humans are scared of the preditors..plus.....its a lot easier for a predator to kill domesticated stock.....so...humans got rid of the predators

another big thing is..........you dont need to shoot something to have a successfull hunt.......a hunt is successful when you have the chance to shoot...............after that....its your choice.........

the meat is fantastic............it tests my skills,,,,,,and its something i enjoy....if you dont agree....fine......you dont know what your missing,,,,,but fine...............personally....i detest ballet dancing, opera and figure skateing...............but i'll never protest anyones right to enjoy those pastimes........so please dont protest mine
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:20:26 PM

We all use our God given abilities to defend ourselves. As humans we are not particularly strong, have big teeth,claws or hooves but we were given a big brain in order to out think our prey. So since we don't have the advantages say a bear has we have to use our brains to think of some way to bring down such a large and fearsome beast.

Yes, hunters use their relative intelligence to negate the animal ability to defend. So it is fair to say an animal can not defend themself against hunter. Was my only point.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/20/2009 7:34:10 PM
I wasn't aware that hunting suddenly was supposed to be a UFC cage match. Why is there no uproar over fishing? Slimy,smelly stinky brainless fish haven't touched the hearts like cute fuzzy bunnies i am guessing? I guess it's only wrong to kill cute animals.

Because the topic is hunting. To me is the same.

VVV Hunting and fishing is the same to me.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/20/2009 8:06:37 PM

How can you after it was pointed out how defenseless these sea kittens are. I'm done with these built for trolling threads for now. I'll leave the "vegans" in their little world believeing they don't kill as many animals as hunters because they don't eat meat. Try and take away that double mocha latte though and watch out.

By definition, a vegan would not drink a latte with real milk. :)
 SAguy_06
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:57:36 AM

It is very rare for a deer or any game to die instantly from a shot. Its like when you cut off the heads of chickens, nerves and adrenaline keep it "alive" and running for about 10 seconds. Same thing with a deer or other large game but much more because its a bigger animal.

I dont know many hunters going for head shots.

most shots are to the organs...lungs.

most hunters like to take a photo of there prize...a pair of antlers with a gaping whole in the center is hard to photoshop
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are some people against hunting?