Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from "The      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AnaMiluska
Msg: 1
Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from "The Princess Syndrome"?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from "The Princess Syndrome"? I hear men complain about this quite a lot, and I'd love to hear what you think (Male or Female).

1. They don't have to apologize or admit when they are in the wrong. They have difficulty understanding the concept of "personal responsibility."

2. They feel they don't have to ask permission for anything. They have a poor sense of respectful boundaries and "stepping on other people's toes."

3. Their timetable and agenda takes precedence over others' schedules. In group situations, allowances of various kinds have to be made for them. For example, a group of friends' get-together time/date has to be changed to accommodate them, even though everyone else can make the original or customary time and date.

4. They expect (and truly believe they deserve) "high maintenance" (unusual purchases, extravagant gifts, fancy restaurants, great vacation trips, anything expensive, etc.) from any man that they allow regular sex with, i.e., husbands, boy friends, lovers. Sharing some expenses and going "Dutch" are insulting, abhorrent concepts. You are in the wrong for even mentioning it. They will extract a high price from any love-struck schmuck who is willing to "worship at her feet."

5. Princesses usually are the more attractive women. However, some plain, average-looking women will also exhibit this behavior, if they are clever and crafty, and think they can get away with it. They usually fail with men who have more awareness of this power struggle and game.

Having said the above, very unfortunately many affluent men accept this pathetic situation and deserve to shoulder some blame. They want an attractive, sexy woman in their lives and are willing to pay for it. This does not diminish the supply of "princesses." The current economic malaise does not help either. Hence, there are common expressions like "trophy wife," "bartered love," "golddigger" and “marriage of convenience.”

6. Princesses don't do "favors" (unless there is something in it for them.)
 themoreILearnthelessIknow
Msg: 2
Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from The Princess Syndrome?
Posted: 2/21/2009 10:10:17 AM
I'm close to 40 now and can't really say how younger woman are acting but I have heard of some interesting situations that I never saw when I was younger. Girls going out with guys and in exchange the guys pay their bills or take them shopping etc. Girls advertising their physical assets much much more then what I remember. I'm not complaining about that because my hormones still tend to rule lol. This isn't classsical prostitution but not that far off and not really a surprise considering our current pop. culture. The "princess syndrome" is really nothing more then narcissism and IMO nothing more then a sign that our culture still really dosn't expect woman to carry their own weight around but that a man needs to take care of them. Men and woman aren't stupid and there will always be some who see just how much they can get away with before culutral norms stop them and apparently idolising and infatuation with spoiled woman still seems to be popular. Look at all the news devoted to the Paris Hilton types. Us men have a lot to blame for this too, as long as we continue to think with our hormones and not our brains we condone these types of behavior. As long as we don't hold our daughters to the same standards as our sons we condone it. Then again no one is denying that men and woman are also fundamentally different. Just another puzzle really about how different the sexs are and how we still manage to get along.
Msg: 3
Msg: 4
Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from The Princess Syndrome?
Posted: 2/21/2009 1:25:30 PM
Anamiluska

Are you worried that people consider you part of the "princess syndrome"? I just read your profile and to be honest you seem to fit it. No offense intended but you want a professional guy to give you what you deserve then you mention your favorite things are diamond rings and shopping.

I too and quite surprised that a woman would bring this topic up, out of my terrible curiousity would you explain why this is such an interest to yourself?
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/21/2009 8:08:51 PM
bo weeks,

lets just say that was where I was headed
 AnaMiluska
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/26/2009 8:01:20 PM
The last thing I read:"How to Get a Rich Man" by Donna Spangle and "How to Get Any Man to Do Anything You Want! "

Most of girls we love to read these book :)
 living*a*fable
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/22/2009 10:33:57 AM
people are people..........maybe American women have greater expectations, but from what I have seen.......its not much different other places.
 living*a*fable
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/22/2009 1:24:21 PM
Its interesting to talk to non Americans about this...... hi sugar .....:>))
They kind of think american women have the idea they dont need a man........ Oprah doesnt help that image either, lol.......... and in many places not as modern as here, women still depend on their men for basic necessities.

You know I have known lots of women that this thread could be about...... but as an American man you just dont think about it unless its working against you........ pretty, smart girls get alot of attention and theres much competition for them in this country.....
they choose, thats alot of power to have bestowed upon you.
 Cr8tiveSailor
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 3:32:34 PM
I totally disagree...

It is not that women expect - they are not good at expressing at themselves and if they learn a bad habit, they continue to do so until they realize that what they want breaks that mold, and they adjust.

I had a gf whom was once a model, that ended up doing two things that changed her life. She moved from her awesome designer address in Chicago to a rural farm. She only ordered from designer sites until we made a road trip to a Walmart. From that time forward anytime we did a road trip - "Lets stop by a Walmart". What gravitated her to me was the experience of a change...she never realized that you had to be "just one way". Conversely - I learned a bit about style and the way the other half lives.

My point being, we all like to have an agenda - until when we meet someone that breaks that mold, you realize that it is taught behavior. Yes, there are women that only go for for what is on the list, and the others have the list but crave just the sense of adventure and actually being part of a different lifestyle so to speak. Problem is the presentation we try to exude and the perception that actually results. When their is true attraction - and real communication, you begin to realize that we all try to live a life to impress or inflate out own self worth. Guys are guilty too (and I obviously am one) with sexy cars, dress, bragging about what they do etc.. You never hear "So is that guy suffering the prince Syndrome"... no you - call him a player...And we all know that its an act to get attention until someone actually grabs it...

Eventually, if you open your mind and realize - its a path that takes you to the next path. As with any addiction - it only carries forth it is allowed to be fueled and life always comes circle and so does how the importance changes in the variety of aspects we view it...
 2bornot2be2
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/22/2009 1:35:02 PM
Ugh........why are peoples foreign travel stories always so boring and self absorbed?
 Kaseywa38
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/27/2012 6:28:41 PM
I have several friends that suffer from this syndrome. A few are pretty, some are not. However, they all get quite a bit of attention from the opposite sex. Seems to me that there are plenty of males that are into that type.
 Crimson_and_Grey
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 1:21:33 AM
well my dad says I am by definition a princess. but i would never describe myself your definition. your defining the "Bellevue" princess. Maybe you need to meet more princesses from places that are taught better values. Dont rope us all into that barbie crap!!!!
 DorkDude23
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2012 1:59:28 AM
Ugh, I'm originally from Omaha, NE and we have quite a large amount of "princesses" out here. They are one of the most annoying personality types a woman can have...imo. Some shallow morons like that kinda stuff, though.
 Womac911
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2012 10:57:13 PM
Wow, this is an old topic.

However, I'll say yes, women do suffer from it. Most of them, at least.
I blame it partially on "Real Housewives"and the Kardashians.
 hitahomerun
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/15/2012 11:10:07 PM
No Question about it. Some not all in there 50's think there Empresses. It is amazing how many old broads think there young. They have no idea that there wrinkled and not what they were in there 20's The women in Washington over 50 are pathetic mentally.some actually are in there 60's AMAZING... They need to go to Vegas and see how real women in there 60S actually look. There is an abundance of them there an they realize how old they are. I think it is due to the younger women in Washington are kinda mediocre. In Vegas over 35 is old and the women know it.
 Schmooopy
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:04:40 PM
Nothing wrong with having good self esteem. It's not all about how a person looks. Beautiful people can suffer from low self esteem.

I know someone young who is beautiful and behaves like an entitled princess. It's a turn off and if someone treats me with disrespect then I keep them at arms length and have no interest in befriending that type. You can still be confident and treat people decently. If not, then you lack character.
 jdkangaroo
Msg: 23
view profile
History
 Schmooopy
Msg: 24
 Ripkin2406
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 2:50:34 PM
YES! I do indeed think you are on to something...Makes a guy wonder if he should look to other ethnicities! In fact, I think all people in America are getting a bit rude and complacent, both men and women.
 Ripkin2406
Msg: 26
view profile
History
 DorkDude23
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:18:00 AM
Not to sound racist at all...but black girls seem to have Princess Syndrome on lock down more than any other.I'd say a good 90% of black girls I see on dating sites, or in life actually, in general are ALL about money and getting everything handed to them by men. They won't accept anything less. There are quite a few of every other ethnicity as well, white girls are number 2. My first experience with one of those girls was a white girl. She was so bad she went as far as telling everyone to call her "Pryncess".

God, I wanted to strangle that ****. haha
 Spiritus4
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/10/2012 7:33:49 AM
Wow AnaMiluska,
You said it beautifully. I fell victim for one of these types; she was half asian, half caucasian gal. She had me wrapped around her finger for the four years I allowed her to share my home. Stored her crap that could fill two bedrooms (even a piano), let her cats ruin half the house, spent on her gifts, took her on numerous vacations, helped her ungrateful kids get jobs and let them stay with me rent free til they could get their own place. In the end she moved out with her adult kids (daughter and her husband, both 26) . They even had 6 & 8 year olds of their own! She left half her belongings at my home for the last 6 months before I put my foot down. Haven't heard from her in a month! Guess she thinks she's punishing me and that I'll beg her to come back? No way!
Over the last 6 months, she's called twice daily telling me how much she loves me and how she has been intending on eventually disclosing our relationship to family and friends. I guess she tells them that it was over last November. I finally wised up and told her she was a liar and a user and that she had a week to come for her belongings. Haven't heard from her in a month or seen her in two. She abandoned our relationship and her belongings.
What a POS! Kicked that one to the curb. Live and learn. NW women are the worst!
 vousami
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:11:52 AM
I find a lot of the younger women do, in fact, act like a princess. They are spoiled and rude, yet expect to be treated like a lady. But let's not forget the men. They are also often mannerless and downright rude. Overall, I find that people have forgotten things such as 'please', 'thank you' and general kindness to others. If you want to be treated well, you must act accordingly and not expect your 'significant other' to provide everything for you.
 AHSfan
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:51:44 PM
Spiritus, why on earth would you let a woman live in your home with her family, no less??? Wow
 Spiritus4
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/12/2012 7:45:11 AM
I don't care for your implication that I was foolish, madam.
I allowed her to live with me for four years before I agreed to help her kids come over from Hawaii. I helped get him (son in law) an interview at Boeing. I opened my home to her two adult 26 yo children, daughter and son in law, for a month and a half. They came and went without regard, never offering to help with the home chores. They even had friends coming and going.
I'm a non-smoker and asked my GF if the kids were smoking. She would always cover for them explaining that they didn't smoke and knew I didn't approve of it. Eventually, I confronted the daughter and she said that she was smoking but doing so outside, "mom said it would be ok." When I asked my GF about this, she answered "she's trying to quit." An outright lie!
A few days later I learned that she was planning to move out with them all along. She just used me to get her kids over from Hawaii.
She took half her belongings and they set up in a condo in Mountlake Terrace. She lied and manipulated me for months afterwards. I finally became fed up and told her to come get her belongings. Haven't seen her in months. Haven't heard from her in four weeks. She just left her junk at my home. Just a shameless liar/user.
When you love someone, you want to help them. You want them to be happy. I wasn't a fool for being taken in by a liar.
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Do you think that American women today, in general, suffer from "The Princess Syndrome"?