Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > mascarpone cheese..(and a couple of others)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mik1950
Msg: 1
mascarpone cheese..(and a couple of others)Page 1 of 1    
anyone ever gone into an italian deli and spent 11 or 12 bucks for a little tub of mascarpone?...this stuff is soooo easy to make that its almost criminal what they gouge you for in the delis...all you need is a 500 ml carton of heavy cream...some tartaric acid...(can be bought at any wine making supply house)...and a bit of icing sugar...i googled this recipe but its another one that i have tried and found to be worthy of adding to my recipe index...

Mascarpone Cheese
Ingredients

1 pint heavy cream
1/2 tsp tartaric acid
1/4 tsp confectioner's sugar
Directions

Fill the bottom of a double boiler with enough water to touch the top pan, but the top should fit neatly and not "float." Bring to a simmer.
Pour the cream into the top of a double boiler and place over simmering water.
Add the confectioner's sugar and whisk constantly.
When the cream is warm add the tartaric acid. Whisk over the heat until the cream reaches a temperature of 180 degrees.
Remove from heat and allow to cool, whisking occasionally.
Pour the mixture into a bowl through a thick cheesecloth, or line a fine metal strainer with a coffee filter.
Cover the bowl and refrigerator for at least 12 hours before use.

how simple is that?...oh yeah...tartaric acid is NOT to be confused with cream of tartar...two different animals...
i think i paid about 3 bucks for 2 oz of tartaric acid at the wine supply place...and when i make this cheese...i add a bit more sugar than is called for...dont gauge the taste right away...it hasta sit for at least 12 hours in the fridge to drain off any excess whey...
 mik1950
Msg: 2
mascarpone cheese..(and a couple of others)
Posted: 2/24/2009 8:09:42 PM
i'll post a recipe for cottage cheese tomorrow...this is another thats stone simple to make...all it requires is milk and vinegar...and salt of course
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/24/2009 10:22:53 PM
1 lb. ricotta cheese (whole milk, not low fat crap)
2 tbl. confectioners sugar
2-3 tbl cream

put all in a food processor and mix until smooth and creamy, all done!
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/24/2009 11:20:17 PM
the above is home made mascarpone cheese, damm thing timed out trying to edit it.
 mik1950
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/25/2009 1:55:38 AM
the recipe i posted is for do-it-yourself from scratch mascarpone...yours is the macgyverized version...
shall i post the recipe for ricotta here too?
 mik1950
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/25/2009 2:37:54 AM
i havent actually tried making ricotta yet...i am just getting into the whole cheese making thing now...but heres a decent recipe fot ricottas cousin...cottage cheese

Cottage Cheese
1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Heat the milk to 190F. You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.
2. Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.
3. When cool, pour the mixture, (which now consists of curds and whey as in Miss Muffet food) into a colander and drain off the whey.
4. Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well. Break the curds down to the size that suits you. You may wish to use less salt or more. It is simply a matter of taste which is the next step. You can add a little cream for a silky texture. This produces 1 pound of cottage cheese.

another cheese that is pretty easy to make at home is mozzarella...but you do need a few specialty type ingredients...you will need rennet...not readily available in stores tho...i get mine from a cheese making supply house...you will also need calcium chloride...this stuff helps rebuild the milk protein that gets altered by pastuerizing and homogenizing milk...both rennet and calcium chloride are naturally occurring products
 mik1950
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/27/2009 6:02:43 AM
How To Make Mozzarella Cheese
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheese can be made from any dairy animal milk. Fresh raw milk from cows or goats, and store bought whole milk. One rule of thumb regardless of the source of your milk is, the fresher the better. When purchasing milk from the store be sure to check the freshness dates. Don't be afraid to ask your grocer for milk from their latest delivery. If you explain what you are using it for they should be very helpful. Milk should always be kept refrigerated until ready for use.
Store bought milk is homogenized, which means that the cream particles (butter fat) have been mechanically broken up into microscopic particles. This is done to prevent the cream from separating from the milk. Homogenizing and pasteurizing also alters the milk protein. Unless the cheese maker compensates for this the milk will not make a satisfactory curd.
To compensate for the processing of store bought milk we add calcium chloride prior to adding rennet to the milk mixture. The addition of calcium chloride will help restore the altered milk protein and aid in the development of a quality curd.
DO NOT USE ULTRA-PASTEURIZED MILK !
For your first batch of mozzarella cheese we recommend that you use store bought whole milk. The basic recipe is for 1 gallon whole milk. After you have mastered the process used to make our mozzarella, you can experiment with other type of milk. Using Fresh Milk
If you have access to fresh milk from cows, sheep or goats, we encourage you to use it. As you may already know, the chemistry of fresh milk will vary with the season, diet, and even the time of day you milk. You will need to experiment a little to adjust your recipe. Use the recipe included in your kit as is, then make adjustments as needed.
About the Ingredients
Citric Acid is used to cause the curds (milk solids) to separate from the whey (liquid).
Mild Lipase Powder is an enxyme agent extracted from dairy animals. Strict vegetarians should omit this ingredient.
Calcium Chloride helps to restore the balance between calcium and protein in store bought milk. It may also be needed with fresh milk.
Vegetable Rennet contains no animal products and has the same coagulating ability as animal rennet when used in milk that has been ripened. Rennet must be diluted with distilled water prior to adding to milk so that it will not shock the milk and distribute evenly as it is added. Rennet tablets will keep the strength longer of they are kept frozen.
Flaked Salt is a premium grade ultra fine salt with absolutely no additives. No other salt may be substituted due to the purity and difference in weight between equal measures of different grades of salt.
Your Cheese Making Work Area
It is very important that you dedicate your kitchen to making cheese for the entire process. Do not prepare any other food while you are making cheese. Milk is very susceptible to unwanted bacteria infection. It is not difficult to prevent cross contamination as long as you take care.
To prepare your work area, put all food products away, move all dish cloths and soiled towels to the laundry room and wash your counters, sink and stove top with soap and water. Now use a commercial antibacterial cleaning spray to wipe down all surfaces.
Equipment Needed
You will need a 6 to 8 quart stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum or cast iron. A stainless steel or strong plastic slotted spoon. A two quart microwave safe mixing bowl, measuring spoons and a thermometer which will clearly read between 80 degrees F and 160 degrees F.
Mozzarella Cheese Formula
Place one gallon whole milk into a stainless steel pot. Measure all of the following ingredients into five individual containers. This will allow you to make the cheese without worrying about measurements. 2 teaspoon of citric acid
¼ teaspoon lipase powder in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water
½ teaspoon calcium chloride in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water
½ rennet tablet in ¼ cup distilled water
½ teaspoon flaked salt

Making the Cheese
Place the stock pot of milk on the stove over medium heat. It is important that you heat the milk slowly. Sprinkle in the citric acid and mild lipase powder and diluted calcium chloride while you gently stir. Heat slowly until the milk reaches 88 degrees. Stir every few minutes to prevent scorching the milk on the bottom of the pot. You will begin to see the curd develop.
Once the milk reaches 88 degrees F. stir in the rennet and water mixture. Continue stirring every few minutes until the milk reaches 105 degrees F.
Developing the Curd
Remove from the heat and let the milk set covered for 20 minutes at 105 degrees F. Curd (white mass) and whey (greenish liquid) will now be fully separated.

Cooking the Curd
Use a slotted spoon or strainer to transfer the curd to a microwave safe dish. If the curd is too soft to transfer, let the milk sit a few more minutes. Pour off as much of the whey as you can. Gently press the curds together with the spoon and force more whey out of them. Squeeze out and drain as much whey as possible.

Place the curd in the microwave on high for one minute. Remove and press the curds again to force out more whey. The cheese should begin to mass together and become sticky.
If it dose not, you will need to leave it in the microwave a few seconds longer. Not all microwaves are equal ! It will not hurt to place the cheese back in the oven for 20 - 30 seconds more if necessary. Please note the total time needed for future reference.

Add the flaked salt a little at a time and knead the cheese with a spoon as you would bread dough. It will become smooth and shiny. Place the curd back into the microwave and heat on high for one more minute. Remove from oven and drain any remaining whey. This time your cheese will be too hot to handle, about 130 degrees.
Stretching the Cheese
Knead the cheese again until it sticks to the spoon and pulls away from the bowl.
When the cheese begins to stretch like taffy, it is almost done. You can have some fun now by pulling and stretching the cheese until it is completely cooled. This is an important step. Stretching will make the cheese firm and stringy. If you prefer a softer texture don't stretch as much.
Place the cheese in an air tight container or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Use this cheese with in one week or store it in the freezer for up to one month. If your cheese is too soft to shred for pizza, place it in the freezer then shred and use it partly frozen.

this sounds complicated but its not...really...all thats needed is a few basic items...i donno if i am allowed to post a link in here or not...but google it and you can find...if you do order the kit...make sure you get the calcium chloride and the lipase...its not included in the kit but it should be...
FYI...kraft cheese is moving its operation to a town in pennsylvania...with the move comes a company name change...it will now be known as "cheeses of nazareth"...
warmly...mik...
 Irish_Topher
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/27/2009 8:18:51 PM
Thanks bro!!! I am going to try this out. I just started eating mascarpone less than a year ago at the recommendation of my priest. I guess he used to eat it all the time when he was in Italy. I am so looking forward to trying this!!!
 mik1950
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/28/2009 4:19:25 AM
irish...let me know how you like it ok?...i use a bit more icing sugar than is called for in mine...your choice tho
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2009 12:43:11 PM
Here is a recipe for fresh ricotta cheese I found in a recent issue of Gourmet magazine. It is milder than store bought but very tasty and creamy:

Fresh Ricotta Cheese
makes about 2 cups

2 quarts whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2-3/4 tsp salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and bring to a rolling boil stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, reduce heat to low and simmer stirring constantly until the milk curdles about 2 minutes. Pour into a lined (cheesecloth or coffee filters) sieve or fine colander set over a bowl. Let drain at least an hour. Discard the whey (liquid). Chill covered in the refrigerator. it will keep at least 3-4 days.
 Fuk you Sanderick
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/28/2009 4:34:18 PM

POSTING RIGHTS to FORUMS REMOVED PERMANENTLY - POF
 mik1950
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/28/2009 7:50:31 PM
curves...one of my cheese making recipes recommends saving the whey(liquid) and using it in bread...i have yet to try it but i dont see why it wouldnt work...
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2009 8:51:07 PM
Mik that's a great idea....the tanginess would probably taste like sourdough....time to drain some plain yogurt, saving the whey and making Greek style yogurt... have you tried that? Take a quart container of plain regular yogurt like Dannon and line a sieve with cheesecloth or coffee filters. Place over a bowl, cover with the liner material, refrigerate about 24 hours. The Greek style yogurt is so thick and creamy. It is what you make Tsaziki sauce with and I am sure a whole lot of other things.
 mik1950
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:33:29 AM
i'm not a big yogurt fan curves...but i dont mind tzaziki sauce once in a while...i know if i looked hard enough around the house i could find a yogurt maker here...my mother was into yogurt making back when
 mik1950
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:36:17 AM
How To Make Mozzarella Cheese
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheese can be made from any dairy animal milk. Fresh raw milk from cows or goats, and store bought whole milk. One rule of thumb regardless of the source of your milk is, the fresher the better. When purchasing milk from the store be sure to check the freshness dates. Don't be afraid to ask your grocer for milk from their latest delivery. If you explain what you are using it for they should be very helpful. Milk should always be kept refrigerated until ready for use.
Store bought milk is homogenized, which means that the cream particles (butter fat) have been mechanically broken up into microscopic particles. This is done to prevent the cream from separating from the milk. Homogenizing and pasteurizing also alters the milk protein. Unless the cheese maker compensates for this the milk will not make a satisfactory curd.
To compensate for the processing of store bought milk we add calcium chloride prior to adding rennet to the milk mixture. The addition of calcium chloride will help restore the altered milk protein and aid in the development of a quality curd.
DO NOT USE ULTRA-PASTEURIZED MILK !
For your first batch of mozzarella cheese we recommend that you use store bought whole milk. The basic recipe is for 1 gallon whole milk. After you have mastered the process used to make our mozzarella, you can experiment with other type of milk. Using Fresh Milk
If you have access to fresh milk from cows, sheep or goats, we encourage you to use it. As you may already know, the chemistry of fresh milk will vary with the season, diet, and even the time of day you milk. You will need to experiment a little to adjust your recipe. Use the recipe included in your kit as is, then make adjustments as needed.
About the Ingredients
Citric Acid is used to cause the curds (milk solids) to separate from the whey (liquid).
Mild Lipase Powder is an enxyme agent extracted from dairy animals. Strict vegetarians should omit this ingredient.
Calcium Chloride helps to restore the balance between calcium and protein in store bought milk. It may also be needed with fresh milk.
Vegetable Rennet contains no animal products and has the same coagulating ability as animal rennet when used in milk that has been ripened. Rennet must be diluted with distilled water prior to adding to milk so that it will not shock the milk and distribute evenly as it is added. Rennet tablets will keep the strength longer of they are kept frozen.
Flaked Salt is a premium grade ultra fine salt with absolutely no additives. No other salt may be substituted due to the purity and difference in weight between equal measures of different grades of salt.
Your Cheese Making Work Area
It is very important that you dedicate your kitchen to making cheese for the entire process. Do not prepare any other food while you are making cheese. Milk is very susceptible to unwanted bacteria infection. It is not difficult to prevent cross contamination as long as you take care.
To prepare your work area, put all food products away, move all dish cloths and soiled towels to the laundry room and wash your counters, sink and stove top with soap and water. Now use a commercial antibacterial cleaning spray to wipe down all surfaces.
Equipment Needed
You will need a 6 to 8 quart stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum or cast iron. A stainless steel or strong plastic slotted spoon. A two quart microwave safe mixing bowl, measuring spoons and a thermometer which will clearly read between 80 degrees F and 160 degrees F.
Mozzarella Cheese Formula
Place one gallon whole milk into a stainless steel pot. Measure all of the following ingredients into five individual containers. This will allow you to make the cheese without worrying about measurements. 2 teaspoon of citric acid
¼ teaspoon lipase powder in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water
½ teaspoon calcium chloride in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water
½ rennet tablet in ¼ cup distilled water
½ teaspoon flaked salt

Making the Cheese
Place the stock pot of milk on the stove over medium heat. It is important that you heat the milk slowly. Sprinkle in the citric acid and mild lipase powder and diluted calcium chloride while you gently stir. Heat slowly until the milk reaches 88 degrees. Stir every few minutes to prevent scorching the milk on the bottom of the pot. You will begin to see the curd develop.
Once the milk reaches 88 degrees F. stir in the rennet and water mixture. Continue stirring every few minutes until the milk reaches 105 degrees F.
Developing the Curd
Remove from the heat and let the milk set covered for 20 minutes at 105 degrees F. Curd (white mass) and whey (greenish liquid) will now be fully separated.

Cooking the Curd
Use a slotted spoon or strainer to transfer the curd to a microwave safe dish. If the curd is too soft to transfer, let the milk sit a few more minutes. Pour off as much of the whey as you can. Gently press the curds together with the spoon and force more whey out of them. Squeeze out and drain as much whey as possible.

Place the curd in the microwave on high for one minute. Remove and press the curds again to force out more whey. The cheese should begin to mass together and become sticky.
If it dose not, you will need to leave it in the microwave a few seconds longer. Not all microwaves are equal ! It will not hurt to place the cheese back in the oven for 20 - 30 seconds more if necessary. Please note the total time needed for future reference.

Add the flaked salt a little at a time and knead the cheese with a spoon as you would bread dough. It will become smooth and shiny. Place the curd back into the microwave and heat on high for one more minute. Remove from oven and drain any remaining whey. This time your cheese will be too hot to handle, about 130 degrees.
Stretching the Cheese
Knead the cheese again until it sticks to the spoon and pulls away from the bowl.
When the cheese begins to stretch like taffy, it is almost done. You can have some fun now by pulling and stretching the cheese until it is completely cooled. This is an important step. Stretching will make the cheese firm and stringy. If you prefer a softer texture don't stretch as much.
Place the cheese in an air tight container or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Use this cheese with in one week or store it in the freezer for up to one month. If your cheese is too soft to shred for pizza, place it in the freezer then shred and use it partly frozen.

sounds complicated but its not really
warmly...mik
 mik1950
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/1/2009 6:23:45 AM
the choice is entirely yours miss...at least with home made stuff i know exactly what goes into it...the clean up is minimal...prep time...20 minutes or so...the cost...well worth the little bit of trouble to make yourself...taste difference...worlds apart...
just enjoy mascarpone in whatever form suits you best...
 mik1950
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:30:23 PM
i'd like to tell you yes but i cant...to form a curd you need stuff called rennet...the acid(vinegar) makes the milk coagulate into the cottage cheesey stuff...rennet forms the curd...i am still pretty new to cheese making myself here thinkingmansgirl...i had to google lots before i hit on a way to rebuild the protein that gets altered by pastuerizing...
i donno if i am allowed to post links here but if you want i can link you with the place i get my supplies from...
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 1:53:00 PM
Your best bet for finding dry curd cheese is in one of the natural food stores. Wild Oats grocery, which is in bigger cities, also carries it.

A few of the grocery stores in Ontario carried the dry curd cottage cheese years ago – not sure if they still do or not.

If you cannot find it in the store, you have two options. One is to simply put cottage cheese in a colander and rinse it well to remove the extra dairy and then let it dry. The other option is to make homemade farmer's cheese using the recipe below.

Dry curd cheese
1 gallon milk, whole or skim
1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. salt

Pour the milk into a 6-quart, heavy pot and add the dry milk. Bring the milk to around 86°F; add the buttermilk and stir well. Keep the milk at 86°F for 12 hours. When done, cut the formed curd into 1/2" pieces. Raise the temperature in the curd pan to 100-104°F. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the curd from sticking. Line a colander with clean cheesecloth or muslin cloth. Scoop out the curd into the colander. Allow to drain for several minutes, then rinse curd in lukewarm water. Allow to drain for several more minutes. Place drained curd into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and mix evenly. Put into a covered container and chill. Makes about 1-1/2 pounds.
 CurvesssDaytona
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2009 2:51:45 PM
Hey Classic I have been wanting to make farmer cheese for along time since I cant seem to find it here and this is great! Thanks for posting the recipe.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > mascarpone cheese..(and a couple of others)