Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > world-wide hunger      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 17
view profile
History
world-wide hungerPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
as a fost/adopt mom, i cannot take in more children at this point in my life. i do support four children with plan usa--three from zambia and one from india. if everyone sponsored just one child, while waiting for the "government" to do something, there would be a lot more food on their plates. there are also organizations like oxfam that i support, in addition to unicef, who feed people. there are also organizations that support communities such as african wildlife foundation where you are saving wildlife and employing communities while assisting in the development of tourism such as photographic safaris.

i think we all wait for someone else to do something. time to start doing it individually and collectively. i really like this new church i just joined. they don't ask for your ten percent, they give ten percent to charity. that is more like it. knowing that, people give to them more freely.
 nebula22
Msg: 20
world-wide hunger
Posted: 2/27/2009 5:47:38 AM
The people in Africa have sex with strangers they meet while walking down the street.
They don't care if there isn't any food to feed the resulting children.

Giving them more food has resulted in an explosion of new births.

Americans need to take care of Americans and let the Africans take care of the Africans.
 EthericWhisper
Msg: 21
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 2/27/2009 6:41:19 AM
RE: Message 21
If you mean that African women are raped after their husbands are murdered or die from AIDS, then yes, they have "sex with strangers".

What has destroyed Africa is "civilization". They deserved to have medicines, new insights into communication, but who said they had to be dressed up like Europeans and have their heritage stolen? The world allows chaos there, so we can reap their resources. Divide and Conquer. Sound cruel? Where did your diamond come from? Plenty of other goodies there that we take advantage of, like petroleum.

However,regarding hunger, I would say that there are plenty of Appalachian children who are not only dying from hunger, but dying because the rest of the nation refuses to stop using coal. We should take care of them first.

http://ilovemountains.org/

Regarding the drought:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9A00E1DD1038F935A15756C0A964948260
 militarymike88
Msg: 22
world-wide hunger
Posted: 2/27/2009 6:47:17 AM
Ah yes the false face of ignorant American idealism of solving a problem by throwing money at it. There are a whole host of problems, several of them already mentioned, that would have to be dealt with before we could "feed the world's starving children." When you make headway on corruption in the sending and receiving country then give me a call. Till then you aren't doing a significant amount of anything. Like someone else said its like a bug hitting a windshield.
 Padawan61
Msg: 31
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 2/27/2009 8:25:13 PM

Maybe we all can make a New Year's resolution to sponsor a child? It costs about $32/month.

Does this bother you like it does me? Almost all of us can afford to support a child but we don't. Why?

No ... I think it's only bothering you ... and you want to spend other people's money to alleviate your guilty conscience.

Why wouldn't I sponsor a child for $32/month?? Let's see ... could it be that I don't like having part of my donation going into the pockets of charity fatcats (aka CEOs, presidents and admin staff) so they can buy their next Mercedes or BMWs.

I think you're living in fantasy world if you believe that throwing money at poverty and starving children will solve anything. Impoverished nations need to stop making more babies and deal with their current crisis. It doesn't matter how many children you sponsor ... if they keep producing more, you'll always be asked to sponsor more.
 Padawan61
Msg: 37
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/2/2009 11:36:42 PM
The fact is that the overwhelming number of people do not support good charities.

There are no good charities. Every one of them employs staff who cuts a paycheck ... with benefits like pension plans and medical. Charities are run like businesses ... and like any business ... their goal is to expand, not contract. They market products ... and in this case, charities market homelessness, poverty, hunger, etc. They wish to enroll you so you will buy into what they're "selling" ... and you, OP, is buying in. I see a conflict of interest when charities personnel are paid from the very dollars they solicit.

As I've said earlier: I believe about 85cents/dollar actually goes to the person in need through world vision. That's really good. You cannot expect the full 100cents to go to the person in need because they do need staff & administration; transportation; logistics etcetera. So all the people who think it's a waste of effort or time can consider supporting them. And no, I don't work for them!

If they're so altruistic ... do it for free. But we all know altruism isn't at the heart of charities. It's expanding their business model.

Large charities like World Vision has turned sponsoring a kid into an activity similar to buying a TV or a toaster. In fact, they've taken a page from on-line retailers and are now offering an on-line "catalog" of children. This is their way of promoting one-stop shopping for a "commodity" kid. Hey ... if you don't like a particular "model", there are plenty to choose from. I wouldn't put it pass World Vision to come up with a redeemable coupon system for people who "adopt" the most kids. Sponsor 10 kids and get a 20% discount when you sponsor the 11th.

OP ... charities can see you coming from a mile away ... and they see you as a chicken just prime for plucking.

Some only get a selfless notion around christmas time when they throw $25 to the Salvation Army coffers

Hell ... I don't even do that.

I live in a wealthy affluent country with lots of food & comfort and so do you

And I work damn hard for a living. What's your excuse besides a guilty conscience.

And I guess the small point that it might save some lives is still irrelevant to you?

BINGO!!

If every working person between say 22 and 65 in North America gave $5/month to combat world hunger it would do an awful lot of good

No it wouldn't. Refer back to charity fatcats and excessive breeding.

If you can save even one wretched person it's worth the BS

That's a dumbass catch phrase. Kinda like: someone telling you they don't want to date you ... but, hey, don't take that personally.

Impoverished nations need to stop making more babies and deal with their current crisis

You can thank the catholic church for playing a large role in that disaster. The RCC will not help the people there if they are using birth control because that goes against their religious values. And they have taught the locals egregious and heinous things about birth control

Some horny toad in the Third World country gets to bang his wife and I get the monthly bill?? The solution is for them to STOP screwing like rabbits ... rather than blame the RCC for restricting birth control.

No ... I think it's only bothering you

Actually that's one of the big problems: the fact that millions are starving every day in this world doesn't bother enough people to throw some bucks at the issue. Why doesn't it bother you?

Because I know that throwing money at world issues isn't the answer. All it creates is dependency. Take local homelessness for example ... how many charities are battling the blight?? To many ... and those charities are setting higher and higher campaign goals year after year ... yet homelessness is growing. The point is: if you build it, they'll come. It all comes down to a world without personal responsibility for ones actions. That would include the drunks, the druggies ... and yes, the impoverish horny toad screwing his wife in his mud hut ... knowing that he doesn't have the resources for another kid.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 38
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/3/2009 5:46:09 AM
Many nations that have high starvation rates also have brutal governments running the nation. By American's just throwing money and food aid at the problem is only prolonging this human suffering since the money and aid end's up in the bad guys hands. The people need to get into a "1776" mindset and take control over their nation. It won't be easy nor should it be. Nobody could have said it better then Thomas Jefferson--"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike."

Another Jefferson quote that is sort of similar.

"Does the government fear us? Or do we fear the government? When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory.
The federal government is our servant, not our master!"

Twilightslove
Msg: 39
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/3/2009 6:57:47 AM
I used to give to charitable organizations until I realized that most of it was going to those who WERE NOT in need and very little was going to those who actually needed it.

The last time I decided to donate was two Christmases ago. I took my grandson with me and we went shopping for two children, whose names, with a list of their wants and needs were placed on stars upon a tree. We had so much fun and my grandson felt so good about shopping for these children only to find out later on that the toys they requested were not given to them because there had been some recalls that year (not that the toys we purchased were in that recall but that the organization decided not to give ANY toys to the children that year). I have to wonder what happened to the toys we bought. I hope the clothes we bought them were at least given to them.

I've found that the most charitable way is to simply feed children who are hungry when they show up at my door with my children. To hand some one enough money to purchase diapers for their child when they are running low on money and to purchase items needed for others when they are running short on money.

The last way is my assurance that the money or items I give go directly to those who need it 100%, the way it should be.
 nebula22
Msg: 40
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:12:19 AM
This is the way I see things too twilight..

I have repaired dozens of poor peoples cars , vans , and trucks as well as their chainsaws and lawn mowers .
I have given money , food and wood to those in need even though I am not rich .
When I help my neighbors and friends to be more prosperous, I am also helping my community.

If everyone helped the people around them, we would all be better off.

Let those people in other countries learn to help not only themselves, but help those next to them as well.

Until they decide to do this, anything anyone gives them will be like throwing gasoline on a fire.
It's like giving money to a crack head.
The problem will only get worse.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 43
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 5:37:27 AM

sorry but we should worry about the homefront before we start to worry about the starving people elsewhere.

"give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, he's fed for life"

Is there something wrong in carring about both Hunger at home and the Hunger of others?

I too believe in teaching a man to fish...but what happens when the lake dries up and the fish are scarce and the people are hungry...you just gonna give them a new top water lure?
 liljester
Msg: 44
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 7:44:21 AM
OP, not reading through this whole thread, so if someone else already mentioned this, forgive me for the duplication.
The way I see it, a lot of those starving kids are born to basically animalistic parents, since they just couldn't keep it in their pants, knowing they had no birth control and couldn't feed any kid that would result. I have NO sympathy for "parents" like this no matter where they are from (yeah, got a lot of home grown ones). But, this is a problem they create out of a simple lack of self control, same as the obese. Nope, no sympathy at all.
Now, as far as the kids go, sure, I wish I could save every single one. Give them all full bellies, and a cozy bed to snuggle up in after story time. But I can't. Those "parents" just keep pumping more out too fast!
I say IF any foreign aid is going to be sent to these countries, make is something that would only benefit the kids, and make the parents WORK FOR IT. Get them out there digging fields and irrigation etc. Don't just hand them the money, and sure as heck don't be feeding them, let them feed themselves.
As far as the US jumping in and sending any aid, we don't have it. Didn't you hear about the recession, deficit, any of that? Right now we are so tapped that we should be feeding our own, and really don't have that much left over. Makes me sick the way the govt will just stockpile food and let it go bad instead of releasing it to all the food banks. How about pres hussein work on that one alone? Ass wipe won't, because he doesn't care about this country. Just putting us further in debt, so the other countries should be pissed off at him as well. Can't milk a dry cow now can ya'?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 45
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:13:23 AM
OP~
Elton John supposedly spends $2 million dollars/month on...crap! He spends around $250,000/month on flowers! At $32 per child he could support 62,500 starving kids per month!

Im not a big fan of Trickle down economics...but thats how our economy fuctions in a way...You may feel Elton John is spending his money on crap, but there is a human side to those sales. Someone has to make the stuff John is buying...so everyone gets a piece of the pie...The company and the employees that sold John the Item, the company and the emplyees the Manufactured the item get their cut...and the compay and its employees that furnished the raw materials to maker the item get their cut...and so on, and so on. Not to speak of all the side business that cater to the workers and employees...the money moves throught the system supporting many working people...not to mention the taxes everyone is paying on their earnings and purchases help local goverments pay for Libriaries, Cops and Fire protection...Street and Drainage, Parks...

So you see One man Crap is another man's Livelyhood.
 liljester
Msg: 46
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:39:16 AM
SAguy, even those Starbucks coffee drinks are a simplistic example. No reason a cup of coffee should cost $5, but those that drink it don't even see it as the excess that it is, and are keeping the Starbucks employees employed. Yeah, I know, they are cutting back and not doing very well now, but it was just for a simplistic example. Those $5 cups of coffee are frivilous and all, just like Elton's flowers.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 47
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 8:54:12 AM
Hey liljester...maybe.

but my point is that the money isnt going down some rabbit hole never to be seen again...I was trying to point out that by elton spening money...that money goes down the line in one form or another to keep people at work.

even the $5 buck coffee helps alot of people...just look at the cup itself...how many workers down the line did it take to produce that cup from the raw materials stage till the delivery at *bucks for use... just think about how many different people had a hand in making that cup.
 moneyforyou
Msg: 49
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 9:44:24 AM
OP, of course most humans are greedy and thoughtless

is this REALLY 'news' to you?
 moneyforyou
Msg: 51
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/7/2009 9:55:12 AM
^^

yeah, the problem is the disparity in where the kids are being born, and not

the people who can AFFORD to actually feed and raise kids, are not having them.

the ones that are already starving or next to it, pop them out like rabbits

people in the developed world, North America, and esp. Europe, are the ones not having kids

countries like Germany have negative net population growth , even with some immigration,

more people are dying each year than are being born there and in other European countries

meanwhile in drought-stricken hellholes of Africa and the poorest Asian countries, plenty of families have 10-15 or more kids, so maybe they will starve too..or make war agaisn the richer countries

why they do this? I dunno, maybe hoping SOME of their kids will be able to support them

or, very few entertainment options- no TV, internet, etc. ..just have sex

can't afford condoms, or think it's wrong to use them ?

so eventually if things don't change Europe will die off..maybe N. America too

while the poorest hellholes of Africa will have billions of people
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 52
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/8/2009 9:50:46 AM
The basic reason for most of those starving people is politics. The starving ones, as a whole, are helpless pawns between those who are in power and those who want to be in power.

Until that equation changes, 95% of the funds spent to feed them will be embezzled, misappropriated, redirected and wasted. That doesn't mean we should stop sending aid. Some actually does trickle through.

I think if someone was really serious about feeding the hungry they'd buy a fleet of C-130s and arrange to airdrop food and medicine packets directly where it's needed- legally or not.

That concept could work here, too. It may come to that in some parts of the country.
 EmbraceHug
Msg: 53
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/8/2009 2:45:08 PM
Msg 56. What makes Africa a hellhole? You have been all that continent I take it?
 rossomycoo
Msg: 54
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/9/2009 8:21:38 PM
Maybe they should legalize and promote Abortion in those countries too! It seems to help kwell the starving children issue in the U.S.
 liljester
Msg: 56
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/10/2009 10:45:49 AM
SAguy_06, um, I think we agree and are just saying it in a different way, and that is causing the confusion. Not sure, but that is what it seems to me.

Thunderscribe, "I've been to Africa.
Volunteer work.
Yes, many parts of it are hellish."
I can back and agree with what you say about Africa, with exception to the volunteering. Had to pay me a lot to keep me there for a minute, much less any longer.
 moneyforyou
Msg: 58
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:11:42 PM
^^

yes I have also seen farmers harvest part of their crop (what their contract was for)- often about 1/2 of what's in the field, then let the remaining part rot in place.

you'd almost think they could let a homeless shelter harvest it.

too worried it might depress prices though I suppose.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 59
view profile
History
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/11/2009 9:49:45 AM
While people in other countries are starving situations like this are becoming more and more prevalent in the US. With the rising unemployment and underemployment more and more Americans are finding that they cannot afford food and/or shelter:

1,600 families seek food handouts in Indiana city

Buzz Up
* Send
o Email
o IM
o Delicious
o Digg
o Facebook
o Fark
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o StumbleUpon
o Technorati
o Yahoo! Bookmarks
* Print

1 hr 25 mins ago

ELKHART, Ind. – Roughly 1,600 familes picked up food and other items sent by a charity to economically distressed Elkhart, Ind., which has an unemployment rate of 18.3 percent.

The 13 semitrailers that came to Elkhart carried more than $2.1 million worth of food, enough to help sustain about 5,200 families for a week. In addition to those who picked up supplies Tuesday, Feed the Children arranged for shipments to 3,600 northern Indiana families.

President Barack Obama visited Elkhart recently to muster public support for economic stimulus legislation. Layoffs in the recreational vehicle industry have driven much of the job loss in northern Indiana.

"What we want people to know is that in this time of despair, there is hope," said Larry Jones, the founder and president of Feed the Children. "People haven't forgotten you."

About 300 volunteers handed out the supply packages as hundreds of cars waited in a line wrapped around a shopping mall parking lot and onto surrounding roads. The city was the second of several cities on Feed the Children's "Americans Feeding Americans Emergency Caravan."

"It's been a struggle," said Patricia Smith, of Elkhart, who waited more than an hour to get her supplies, which came in a box containing macaroni and cheese, canned goods, toilet paper and other items. "We're surviving and we're going to make it through this."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_re_us/elkhart_food

This money for bailouts needs to be going directly back to the people so that the economy will be stimulated, employer's will need employees once again, and business will be booming.
 liljester
Msg: 60
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/12/2009 8:02:19 AM
This is a lot more prevalent than most seem to realize. Always makes me wonder why anyone would think that the kids starving in some other country deserve food more than the ones we gave birth to.
 moneyforyou
Msg: 61
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/12/2009 10:20:35 AM

What makes Africa a hellhole? You have been all that continent I take it?

I believe I actually said "THE hellholes of Africa", not that the entire continent is one..there all hellholes on other continents of course

just seem to be more of them , cover more of Africa..
 liljester
Msg: 65
world-wide hunger
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:08:19 AM
Sorry, but I have to disagree when people make blanket statements about just about anything, and implying all Americans are spoiled is totally off. Why is it that people always forget that the kids live at the level determined by the parents? And some parents just plain suck. Others aren't doing that well either. People ARE being tossed out of their homes these days, only big business gets bailed out, not PEOPLE. That BS plan/stimulus of hussein's sure isn't going to do ANYTHING for the victims that were already put on the streets, and yeah, their kids went too.

Again, will never understand why anyone thinks that kids in other countries need to eat more than our own. Never understand how people can be so ignorant to constantly forget that our kids are the most victimized and impoverished group in the country. Sending food to other countries, to me, is the equivalent of feeding the kids next door, while mine starves.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > world-wide hunger