Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Does a person's birth order affect who they are in life?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 1
Does a person's birth order affect who they are in life?Page 1 of 1    
I've been doing some studying up on the effects of birth order (i.e. whether you're the oldest, middle, youngest or possibly ONLY child) and one's personality and it's amazing how close these descriptions fit in my family! OMG! Here are a few general characteristics for those who are not familiar with the characteristics of birth order:

Characteristics of Firstborn Children

Smarter? Firstborn children may be smarter than later-born and middle children. Their IQ points are on average 3 points higher than their younger siblings; in fact, IQs tend to drop as more children are born. This may be because parents spend more time with firstborns, and firstborn children mentor their younger siblings and thus learn more. However, Aaron Wichman of Ohio State University found that it’s not birth order that affects intelligence, it’s family size (“Older Children Not Smarter Than Younger Sibs, Study Finds” in ScienceDaily April 12, 2006). Big families can’t offer the same advantages to all the kids that small families can – it’s genetics and the family environment that affects IQ more than birth order.

Better educated. Firstborn children are more likely to go to college or university than last or middle children. If parents can afford to send one child to school, it’s more likely to be the firstborn. Families invest more in firstborn children.

Earn more money. Firstborn children may earn more money and be more likely to hold a high-paying, white collar job. They’re more likely to be surgeons, chairs in boardrooms, and hold MBAs.

Favorites. Firstborn children are more likely enjoy resources (food, parental time, emotional nourishment, attention) than last born children. It becomes a cycle: the more firstborns are nurtured, the stronger they become – prompting parents to invest even more time, money, and attention.

More characteristics:

Responsible
Conservative
Doesn’t make waves
Follows parents’ wishes
Emotionally intense
Authoritarian
Perfectionist
Driven
Surrogate parent
Leadership material

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characteristics of Middle Children

More mysterious. Middle born children are more difficult to define because their identity growing up changed (from last-born to middle child). This affects their personality and environment in unpredictable ways.

Peacekeepers. Middle borns may be more likely to keep peace in the family, to restore connections and relationships.

Less decisive. Middle children may take longer to choose a career than firstborn or later-borns. They may deliberately make opposite choices than firstborns; if the firstborn is a doctor, the middle child may choose to be a firefighter or cop.

Less connected. Middle children may not be as attached to the family as firstborns or later-borns.

More characteristics:

Peacemaker
Negotiator
Highly attuned to needs of others
Doesn’t like to follow authority
Creative
Independent
Peer-focused
“Chameleon”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birth Order: Characteristics of Last-born Children

More adventurous. Last-born or youngest children are more likely to be “loose cannons”, according to an article in Time magazine. They’re more likely to be an artist, entrepreneur or adventurer – and more likely to participate in physically risky sports.

Funnier. Later-born children are more likely to be comedians or satirists. They’ll be outrageous or funny as a power strategy in the family.

More agreeable. Last-born children tend to get along in the world better – a trait known as “agreeableness” in the Big Five Personality Traits. Compared to firstborn children, they’re less likely to provoke people.

More characteristics:

Comical/entertaining
Highly social
Laid back
Dependent
Creative
Unconventional
Few expectations of self

OMG, that's so accurate about my family, it's downright SCARY!

So, I'm not going to tip my hand just yet about where I fall in the birth order (although if you know me in real life - there is an obvious CLUE! ) but what about you? Which child were you in your family and does the description here accurately describe you? How about your siblings? Also, have you found in your life that in romantic relationships that you're often "drawn to" one of these categories - i.e. do you often find yourself dating or in a relationship with the oldest child? The youngest child?

Hope this thread generates some interesting responses!
 Ms_Lookn4fun
Msg: 2
Does a person's birth order affect who they are in life?
Posted: 2/28/2009 8:09:13 AM
Hey ~ What an interesting thread!

Youngest of 5 here...I do not agree with the loose cannon item above, everything else, pretty much, sure!! Adventurous/spontaneous...social..gee, (Social Butterfly )

Comical/entertaining
Highly social
Laid back
Dependent
Creative
Unconventional
Few expectations of self

yep, yep yep LOL
 previouslyme
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/28/2009 9:22:51 AM
So far, with my children... the middle and youngest are fitting it. The oldest has an ongoing battle with herself! She has all the tools, she just always seems to think she needs assistance to do...well... almost everything! I keep praying!
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/28/2009 10:30:28 AM
I was wondering about what "loose canon" meant myself. They say Joe Biden is a "loose canon". Perhaps it is one who speaks without thinking about it first as he often does? I wonder if he's the youngest child in his family - that would explain it!

Meowzie, of all of the defintions, I think the middle child is probably the most tenuous of the descriptions where it comes to the sibs in my family. I'm not sure it fits perfectly in our case. Maybe the middle kid gets characteristics from both the oldest and the youngest, being in the middle?

PM - and what about you? Where do you fall in the pecking order of sibs? My oldest sister fits this description to a "T"..OMG! But then she was very much in charge if mom was not home so she started bossing people around early..
 previouslyme
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/28/2009 11:03:13 AM
3rd of 10 children. But 1st girl. So, I have tendency to take care of everything and be the mother figure. I also like to keep the peace yet not be trampled. Very big on multitasking, but sometimes it leaves me with 20 things unfinished at the end of the day. As far as my intellegence, never did much homework, never ever studied, I was an a-b student. Bored with school, even college, so I basically only take classes that I might be able to use. Everything I do for my career, I have learned by searching and eaves dropping while the Doctors are discussing cases and reviewing published works.
 sporty_ambie09
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/28/2009 4:10:35 PM
Birth Order: Characteristics of Last-born Children

More adventurous. Last-born or youngest children are more likely to be “loose cannons”, according to an article in Time magazine. They’re more likely to be an artist, entrepreneur or adventurer – and more likely to participate in physically risky sports.

Funnier. Later-born children are more likely to be comedians or satirists. They’ll be outrageous or funny as a power strategy in the family.

More agreeable. Last-born children tend to get along in the world better – a trait known as “agreeableness” in the Big Five Personality Traits. Compared to firstborn children, they’re less likely to provoke people.

More characteristics:

Comical/entertaining
Highly social
Laid back
Dependent
Creative
Unconventional
Few expectations of self

THIS WOULD BE ME TO A T!!!
 jussweet
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/1/2009 8:33:26 AM
I'm the youngest and yes it fits me to a T! But hey I think life is meant to be fun! My "middle" brother fits also and my big sis is the only one of the 3 of us that went to college but my brother makes more money... go figure!
Sue do you have any info on only children? My son is an only ... just curious.
 TheKidof72
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:10:35 AM

Doesn’t like to follow authority

Wow, this one fits me to a T. Anyone that knows about my history of getting pulled over by Mr Friendly Officers in uniforms with badges and guns (thank goodness for lawyers) would know that.

Not sure about the rest of these though. But since I was the only girl growing up, I have all of these characteristics, so having 2 older brothers and 1 younger one puts me a middle child, but I got spoiled being the only girl.........well that was until I turned 25, which is when I got a little sister. As far as IQ goes, my oldest brother probably has a better IQ then me, but I still got more common sense then any of my brothers put together.
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/1/2009 9:40:32 AM
Anyone that knows about my history of getting pulled over by Mr Friendly Officers in uniforms with badges and guns (thank goodness for lawyers) would know that.

OMG, you sound like me! I'm usually very polite and cooperative, at first, thinking that perhaps if I am, I'll only get a WARNING but when they come back to my window and want me to sign the (speeding) ticket they've just written up, I usually turn on the snarkiosity! I'm a GOOD driver (I am!) but I have this problem with my right foot where it's heavier than the sum of my entire body. I think it's a gravitational thing. I can't explain it! Thank God for the Traffic Law Center. I get a very nice Christmas card from them, every year, thanking me for my CONTINUED patronage.

Jussweet, don't have any solid information on "onlys" but since I also have an only child, myself, I will speak from my own experience. Only children seem to know everything (a characterisitic that will no doubt help them greatly later in life), they ask for money all the time, they do not clean their rooms, they taunt the family pet mercilessly and they have a tendency to talk back at risk to their life and limb. Odd little creatures, those "onlys"...
 jussweet
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:12:28 AM
Sue mine is the exact same way! He will not clean his room to save his soul... unless someone helps him... NO I don't anymore! I'm hoping things will change with time... just wondering how long I have to wait! LOL I swear he should be a lawyer he can talk a person into anything! Anybody wanna buy some swamp land?
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:22:53 AM
Jussweet, I keep telling him that if he grows up and brings a girl back to his apartment and it's strewn with empty soda cans, magazines, clothes all over the floor and the bedding is hanging off of his bed, she will turn and run for the hills! I know I would! I'm kind of a neatnik, though - my house is very organized most of the time and I just FEEL better living in a clean, organized space. When I walk into his room and there are clothes everywhere and there's a hamper right next to his door, I am baffled as to why he can walk around it all as if it's not even there! That would drive me CRAZY!
 jussweet
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:27:49 AM
Well Sue mine has a girlfriend and she helps him clean his room! Silly girl! I tell her not to but she says well he helps me so I help him. I'm like you the rest of my house is clean I just don't get it. How hard can it be to toss a can into the trash! Sheesh!
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/1/2009 10:38:27 AM
Well, getting back to the topic for a moment....I am also the youngest in my family and that profile is pretty darned accurate. I'm an artist and an entrepreneur by trade. The only characterisitic that I would dispute is having low expectations of myself. I am merciless on myself when it comes to accomplishments and getting things done, pushing myself too hard at times and being disappointed when I don't get enough done in any given day. If I don't feel like I'm accomplishing things and continuously completing tasks and moving forward, I will get in a FUNK!

And yes, I have been known to be a "loose cannon" at times, too, as much as it pains me to admit that.
 sporty_ambie09
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/1/2009 12:49:28 PM
I"m both an only and the youngest. My mom has another kid and I am my dad's only child.
 jussweet
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2009 4:07:07 PM
Amber that just changes everything! Guess they weren't talking about "blended" families when they wrote that report!
 sctrrdr69
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2009 6:33:00 AM
["loose cannon" refers to being unpredictable, possibly dangerous, as a cannon not lashed down on a ship could roll around anywhere when fired and can be dangerous]

I can only speak for my family, as the oldest in a family with an alcoholic abusive single parent that hardly came home til late (and drunk), I had to become very responsible very early and raise my siblings......... I have been a card carrying member of MENSA (IQ in top 2% of country) for many years, yet the youngest of 5 from my mother ( a different father) is a non-functional autistic (IQ barely measurable) and it varies between the others, ..a trend??
The abilities measured in most IQ tests are areas that concern the natural speed and ability of a persons analytical abilities, eductaion (or lack thereof) have little to do with the things measured, it has little to do with the level of education a person receives (I know other MENSANs with no formal education, and people with plenty of schooling and college degrees etc who wouldn't qualify), so, environment has very little to do with IQ, it's more a matter of genetics..
 previouslyme
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/2/2009 12:09:02 PM
I think you fall under the non traditional family! So I don't think you can apply some of the stereo-types. But apparently as the oldest, you have followed some of the leadership things out of necessity and being the oldest. My siblings were all big on studying and doing homework. I always felt like I was wasting my time! The boys were all basically a to c students. The girls mostly b-c, one other sister and I were always more a-b, depending upon showing up at school! (that wasn't me)
 SusieStL
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2009 10:00:41 PM
Ok, I have to throw a twist in this.

I have always been told... IF the siblings are 5 or more years apart... it is as if they are an only child.

my brother was 14 years older, my sister 6 years older.

HOWEVER they were more alike... passive agressive I would say and in my opinion on the lazy side.

Now when I came along.... OMG.. here is this spoiled rotten little blue eye, blonde ... who was the apple of daddys eye. I was hyper active some would say, very very very hot tempered BUT artistic, played an instrument, (guitar) sing, could sew, paintings, basically talented...you know, what I THOUGHT was the norm. I just enjoyed life and had a curiosty with things.

as far as the "Formal education"...my X is a doctor.. I swear he is so freaking dumb, my son (he is NOT my son's father thank God) and I would look at each other ...you know that look of WTH, where is this guy coming from, is this guy for real.
 previouslyme
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/8/2009 12:05:27 AM
LOL! Was? I would say she qualifies as energetic! I am proud of Susie for staying put long enough with this back injury for it to be feeling better!
 _Bree_
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2009 7:18:08 AM
This was very interesting to read, thank you for posting it! As far as myself and my siblings, this isn't correct. As a matter of fact, I am the third child and my characteristics are closer to the first born than any of them. My older brother and sister aren't even close to this description. The last born does describe my younger sis as far as personality, but she is also the smartest of us. My parents were hard workers and worked alot and only seemed to realize they had kids after my younger sis and I were born!
With my own two kids, this is almost right on the money. I have to say I paid alot more attention to teaching my firstborn things and by the time his sister arrived, I was constantly stressed by her father and didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would have liked. Or, I thought I knew it all about raising kids by then and that she didn't need as much attention? Who knows for sure? I do know I have alot less photos of her when she was young.
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Does a person's birth order affect who they are in life?