Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ever been in a relationship where you feel your partner prefers sound      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jlizzy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Ever been in a relationship where you feel your partner prefers sound of their own voice?Page 1 of 1    
Curious how many people out there have had the experience of being in a relationship with someone who interupts them, doesn't respond to their stories/muses etc or contradicts them and yet expects their partner to sit and listen to everything they have to say?

If you've ever been in such a situation what did you do about it?
 jlizzy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ever been in a relationship where you feel your partner prefers sound of their own voice?
Posted: 3/2/2009 5:32:27 PM
If people feel this is a redundant subject I would be very grateful if they could tell me where I can find similar posts as I already looked and couldn't find them even though one would think it would be a common subject!
Yours gratefully.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 3
Ever been in a relationship where you feel your partner prefers sound of their own voice?
Posted: 3/2/2009 6:43:16 PM
Here are 3 for the getting to know you stage, but they'll get you started. Enjoy.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10304995.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts7271702.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10023375.aspx

Toby Keith
I Wanna Talk About Me

Yeah, Yeah
That's right

We talk about your work how your boss is a jerk
We talk about your church and your head when it hurts
We talk about the troubles you've been having with your brother
About your daddy and your mother and your crazy ex-lover
We talk about your friends and the places that you've been
We talk about your skin and the dimples on your chin
The polish on your toes and the run in your hose
And God knows we're gonna talk about your clothes
You know talking about you makes me smile
But every once in awhile

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know, what I want, what I see
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about meeeeee (me,me,me,me-background singers)
I wanna talk about me (me,me-background singers)

We talk about your dreams and we talk about your schemes
your high school team and your moisturizer creme
We talk about your nanna up in Muncie, Indiana
We talk about your grandma down in Alabama
We talk about your guys of every shape and size
The ones that you despise and the ones you idolize
We talk about your heart, bout your brains and your smarts
And your medical charts and when you start
You know talking about you makes me grin
But every now and then

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Oh my me my
I like talking about you you you you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about me (me,me,me,me- background singers)
I wanna talk about meeeeeeee (me,me- background singers)
(I wanna talk about me- background singers)mmmm me me me me
(I wanna talk about me- background singers)mmmm me me me me
You you you you you you you you you you you you you

I wanna talk about ME!

I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Oh my me my
I like talking about you, you, you, you, usually, but occasionally
I wanna talk about meeeeeeee (me,me,me,me-background singers)
I wanna talk about me (me,me,-background singers)
I wanna talk about me (me,me,me,me,me,me-background singers)
Oh me!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/3/2009 7:23:06 AM
Yeah, my ex husband. The minute he came in the door after work, it was a tirade about the guys doing this, or Charlie saying that. He came home one day and I said that I had a bad day and started to tell him about it. He looked at me and said, "I don't want to hear this shit."

It was a 25 year marriage, but it lasted about three years after he made that comment.

I love to talk, but there should be conversation, not a monologue.
 phule
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2009 9:24:01 AM
Wow... a thread about people admitting they don't pay attention, and have no control over their lives. I think this is more important than people know.

First question from me would be... why would anyone EVER enter into a relationship with someone they don't like?

Second and third question... how could someone get involved with a person that was in love with their own voice, without realizing this? Isn't this a trait that is painfully obvious very early on?

Fourth Question... If you were in a situation with someone you did not like, why would there be any course of action OTHER than to break it off?
 jlizzy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2009 6:30:39 PM
Interesting responses.
Phule: With your statement about why would someone ever enter a relationship with someone you don't like and why would there be any course of action other than to break it off...are you implying that the talker doesn't like their partner or the receiver of all this talk? Curious...trying to make sure I get your response ;)

Isn't this a trait that is painfully obvious early on? Uhm well apparently not in my case!! My last long term relationship was with a person who wouldn't talk at all! So I guess I fell into a trap of being so happy to be dating someone who actually talks...fast forward over a year and I probably question daily if he really honestly loves me as a partner should and if this relationship is right for him and me. I inevitably stay put to this day still because we are good friends I guess and because unlike my previous relationships...he doesn't mistreat me and will often look after me- bringing me tea and cofee when I'm working hard and cooking me dinner. Yet when I wish to make my thoughts known on something we don't necessarily see eye to eye on like asking for compromise on his and his parents smoking arrangements if I am to go there again with him, we seem incapable of having a simple talk through, rather it ends up in a full blown shouting match and almost every time he will make some statement along the lines of "maybe we shouldn't be together"/ "maybe we aren't right"..thereby leaving me doubting all the more how he really feels about me. I fear he's staying put because he's never known real love and doesn't know any better...

I know I'm treading into a danger zone emotionally now because recently I'm starting to feel a bit smitten by a friend whom I know a few years now. Nothing sexy about the guy but I can't help but feel rather taken by our lengthy conversations...note -conversations...ie we grant each other space to talk and demonstrate interest in the other person's opinions. The real nice guys are often left unconsidered ..maybe it takes experience to really value a person with a soft heart? I'm also finding myself relishing an out from the usual having to try and fight against the talking over and interuptions I am so used to from my partner....

My partner got really angry with me the other day when I got upset about a client's unhappiness with my work (long story...client not being clear with expectations). He claimed he knew this would happen. He said he didn't want me taking on the work. I tried to ask him what exactly the problem was, eventually pointing out that it's my mistake to make and my life to lead even if I end up taking on too much...my partner eventually stormed out in a huff...I am still puzzled by this.....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ever been in a relationship where you feel your partner prefers sound of their own voice?