Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The Police and Public Perception      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 1
The Police and Public PerceptionPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do we trust the police? I found myself writing in the tazer thread that I do not really trust police people in general. I really mean in general terms.

A relative of mine just became a police person and I believe that he has integrity, but I have doubts about some police people.

I think some police officers who do not have good coping skills end up messed up.(It reminds me of the movie "Crash.")

I also think that the police people who drive those grey ghost cars are really annoying. I see them frequently speeding down Main Street or Broadway and I think they are in overkill mode. Excuse the pun.

Thoughts?
 flotsam
Msg: 2
The Police and Public Perception
Posted: 3/3/2009 12:50:17 AM
I often wonder if police people were born that way. lol. (actually, no so funny). Yikes!
 spiceemomme
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/3/2009 10:12:20 PM
kinda reminds me of gang mentality....survival of the fittest??
 Temptation50
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/4/2009 12:55:08 AM
You know something OP?

I'll never understand why so many attack, condem and bad mouth an entire profession because of a few that made very bad choices......It's like saying I'd never trust any teacher because one was charged with some disgusting crime that we hear of often....

I'm pretty much certain that if some crackhead was smashing in your back door at 4am, you'd probably be very trusting of the police.....
Give them a break, a very trying job with little or no thanks, positions / opinions like yours just makes their jobs that much more unpleasant.
 mach1nehead
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/4/2009 2:12:39 AM
I'm with temptation
I think with the screening and training that takes place they attempt to get better than average personnel regarding balance and consistency when compared to many other fields.
Aside from the odd bad apple, or good apple gone bad, or good apple on a bad day, I believe we have an awesome police force. Some people have no clue what many of them have to go through daily and nightly. They often see us at our worst.
So Yeah... awesome.
For now.
But they ARE a gang, governed and ruled by laws created by Lawyers, Judges, and Politicians. That's right... crackheads, and as such will do as they are told.
One day THEY may smash in your FRONT door looking for BACK taxes.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:43:24 AM
I know many pple who are in law enforcement...worked with them over the years.
Ya... it takes a certain type of person to be in law enforcement...and there has to be some machismo ...machisma I think.
That said... I know they are fairly level headed folk an use good judgment.

I know it was a difficult screening process they all went thru to get to their position.... and not everyone gets in to this 'club'.

A few really bad apples and high profile cases in recent days I know has sullen the public perception of officers... it is a shame.
It is a tragedy for the victims to be at the hands of these 'bad' officers.
 silky tesoro
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/4/2009 4:33:46 PM
I would like to thank msg's 4,5 and 6 for your posts.
I come from a family of Police people and believe me, it's not an easy profession to be in. Dealing with more than crime and speeders. How about the daily abuse they get, verbally and physically? Attending a call and never knowing if you are going to be safe and come home to your family after a shift. Chances of being stabbed by a dirty needle. Homocide Squad, making that house call to a family who's family member has died and having to break the heart breaking news to them. Sex Offences, is the hardest of all divisions, especially when it comes to children. Those Police Officers come away crying most of the time because it sickens them. We have lost many members to shootings, stabbings and MVA's. It's sad to go to funerals and see their families hearts torn apart because their family member in the Police Force died in the line of duty, or off duty, trying to save a life or help someone in need. Yes, there are a FEW bad apples, but come on now, if you were in a situation where you needed help for whatever reason, who do you call? The Police !
 Xavery
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/4/2009 5:31:57 PM
Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone. I suppose I am just a little concerned about police officers who behave over aggressively. I was only describing my own feelings which I wouldn't describe at trusting.

I also wonder why is when something goes wrong in the police force, police investigate themselves. I am not saying that they are corrupt, but certain mechanisms that are in place would facilitate police corruptness.
 spiceemomme
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:22:09 PM

I'm pretty much certain that if some crackhead was smashing in your back door at 4am, you'd probably be very trusting of the police.....
Give them a break, a very trying job with little or no thanks, positions / opinions like yours just makes their jobs that much more unpleasant.

Speaking from my experience, when having my door smashed in by crackheads.....the police have more important things to do than make themselves available for such menial things...and show up long after they have left the premises..
But they did show....
I know they are over worked and under payed, and I know many law enforcement officers personally.......I would never paint them all with the same brush!!
 silky tesoro
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/4/2009 6:53:43 PM
The 911 calls are dispatched out in priority of urgency. It's the dispatchers call as to what call is to be listed as most urgent. Quite often the Fire Dept. will arrive before the Police depending on the type of call. Some departments are short members due to budget, illness, vacation or how busy the day/evening is, meaning if there are 4 shootings in Surrey, you can count on most of the dept. attending the scenes.
spiceemomme, i am sorry you felt you had to wait so long for the Police to attend your call. I hope everything turned out ok and you weren't harmed.
I hope this gives you a better understanding of how the 911 system works.
 iggwanna
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/4/2009 7:27:28 PM
I know some people don't like the Police, but IMHO very few people could do the Job.
There are a some bad eggs in all walks of life, so let's not tarnish all Police Officers for the misdeeds of a few Fellow Officers.
The system is not perfect, but without laws and law enforcement we would have Anarchy or worse, Vigilantism.
 DAKOTATRUCKCOUNTRY
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:11:30 PM
When people choose to signup and to train for, to become police officers, they either know, or are aware of the dangers involved of being a police officers.

For some, they do an excellent job, got to credit the ones that do. Then you have the people, that signup for it, just so htat they can use the law, to their advantage of having power and control, to do whatever means they can, to get what they want, for personal satisfaction, that is within the law.

They need to start to weed out the bad cops from the good ones.

And the sooner the better.
 Xavery
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/4/2009 8:25:06 PM
^I agree sometimes weeding is in order. I think that perhapspeople who sign up to become police officers do not understand is that it is a job that is highly stressful and that you need to be balanced to do it because if you are not, you may end up taking your angst out on undeserving people. I think police officers take a lot of emotional beating and if they are not emotional stable, they get messed up. I also think that there should be more in place in terms of psyshological support for police officers.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/6/2009 9:29:58 AM
I also wonder why is when something goes wrong in the police force, police investigate themselves.

Easy. They're trained investigators.

As for weeding, don't they bust people for that? After they weed them their wights, of course.
 AllSeeingis
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/7/2009 12:29:22 AM
You have yet many things to see. how about police state? it's okay to be fear of law, but it's wrong to fear of Police. not some most of the police look at people like they are criminals, and people look at them like they are going to get you. Even if you are driving good if you see a cop in your rear view mirror you will check yourself if you are driving good. Fear is what the rulers wanna create in the peoples heart, so that they can rule well. Who pay the rulers? who pays government servants? now are they really government servants or are they bossing around?

Freedom what you have is never existed until it is taken from you. They have money for police but they couldn't find a way to remove those iron bars from your stores and homes. I am from california never seen iron bars to protect homes, but vancouver is the first place i have seen iron bars to protect stores and homes in first world country. so that means you are paying for the police for nothing, or something else is wrong. i am still new hear i am learning and observing things thats all.

there are lots of things i can say but i don't think anyone will read it
 Xavery
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/7/2009 2:54:43 PM
The iron bars in front of stores are probably because we do not have enough police people. I have been rethinking my ideas about the police as the gang wars go on and I think it is must be a very stressful job, especially when the force is understaffed, so maybe that is why the odd one cracks and goes taser crazy.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2009 4:33:01 PM

The iron bars in front of stores are probably because we do not have enough police people.

well I don't think we can afford to have one police officer standing in front of every single store in the City.

Smash and grabs are fast.... very little notice given....the Police are out and about doing other things besides protecting shop owners 24/7.
So....shop owners know this and put up iron bars.
 Xavery
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2009 5:43:12 PM
^
am from california never seen iron bars to protect homes, but vancouver is the first place i have seen iron bars to protect stores and homes in first world country. so that means you are paying for the police for nothing, or something else is wrong. i am still new hear i am learning and observing things thats all.

Geee . . . I was just taking a guess at why this poster has observed this phenomenon. It was a guess. However, I do know in parts of California that people live behind gated communities. I have relatives in Cali and have noticed how people protect their property varies from place to place. I also know some people use dogs and alarms systems.

It is also a well known fact that we are short of police officers and we need more. We should be able to afford enough to prevent us from being called Gangcouver.

Do you ever have the feeling certain posters track you and critique every little thing you say? I just . . . LOL . . . so critique that.
 Xavery
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:06:29 PM

By Gerry Bellett, Canwest News ServiceMarch 13, 2009

Police officers should stop investigating themselves because there is an inherent conflict of interest when they do, said a retired B.C. Supreme Court judge who conducted an inquiry into the death of Frank Paul.

The homeless alcoholic man froze to death after a Vancouver police officer dumped him, soaking wet, in an alley in December 1998.

"It is important to understand that this is not just a case of investigation of one police-related death a decade ago which was done poorly," William Davies said in his long-awaited report.

You see there are others who see a problem when police officers investigate themselves, too.

The above case is one of the most appalling examples of police cruelty that I know of. I understand that the majority of police officers would never do such a thing. I think the officer had time to think about what he was doing and chose incredibly poorly. Cruel is a good word to sum this story up.
 Kazoo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:29:40 PM
Public Perception ... what an interesting concept ...

You have a fire problem, dial 911 and are asked what the problem is ...

Police, Fire or Ambulance?

You scream FIRE ... because that is the problem and run out of the house because that pesky fire just seems to keep growing with no regard for you or your various Charter 'Rights'.

As the 911 Service has been able to acquire your address from your home telephone [if that is the phone you called from, rather than a cellphone] that is where the Fire Trucks show up armed with hoses and axes, lots of water and before you know it you have had holes chopped into your roof, walls and there is 2 feet [or more] of water in your basement.

Hopefully they did not overreact to the situation [although they have been known to] and the fire restoration services are able to get everything back to normal, sooner rather than later.

Scream Police to 911 and they [the Police not 911] will show up. They [the police] come armed with guns, pepper spray, batons and all sorts of other electrical devices that seem to get them into trouble and maybe you out of it.

For the most part, very normal people being asked to do some pretty abnormal things.

On a daily basis.

For those of you really interested in this stuff ... check out Peel's Nine Principles of Policing. #7 talks about the police being the public and the public being the police. As interesting as being conversant with your Charter Rights ...

If there is a lack of integrity in the general public that might end up being reflected in your police force.

Does the 'general public' have a lack of integrity? Do you leave your keys in your car with the door unlocked? Why not? Rhetorical question.

YVR dropped the ball in regards to a visitor to our country who didn't speak English or French and after ignoring his basic human needs and rights for some 10+ hours called in the people with a hammer and the visitor got hammered. Very sad and very true.

As for those nimrods who got drunk in downtown Vancouver, 2 of the 3 have been charged with the 3rd providing testimony after having tried to stop [and failed] the criminal activity. 2 of the 3 will most likely loose their jobs [as they should] and the 3rd gets to demonstrate that there is integrity.

The recent gang activity is another kettle of fish entirely.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/15/2009 10:57:06 AM
Hal
There is truth in what you say about RCMP officers' perspective of the public. It is understandable too, for much of the on-duty time of a typical General Duty officer puts them in frequent contact with law-breaking citizens or dealing with the mess such people leave behind them; the bodies, the victims or personal and property crime, etc.

Moreover, with the growing number of criminals now carrying firearms and posing greater threat to the safety of the officer, the officer must often be in a state of heightened awareness and readiness to respond to perceived threats.

It was not so long ago that an officer armed with only a six-shot revolver could be considerably more relaxed in most encounters with the public.

The increased danger some of the public (ie. armed with automatic weapons and even armour-piercing bullets) presents has forced the police force to respond by better protecting their officers. Today officers wear body armour and have modern pistols for side arms.

Being in a near constant state of "yellow alert" condition must have a debilitating effect on officers, just like chronic stress affects everyone.
 pro-filer
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/15/2009 12:21:21 PM
I think without police, we'd all live much worse lives. I think that if corruption and 'bad apples' were as prevalent as so many people like to claim, we'd all live much worse lives.

Police see the very worst of people as a way of life - whether some lost soul on the DTES, or a gang-member shooting randomly without care for the innocent who might suffer. By contrast, we aren't interested if we see a negative remark on a profile and whine if someone cuts us off in traffic. Police are attacked and vilified at every turn by the people they are trying to help and/or protect; if someone did that to us, we'd "kick them to the curb" and feel righteous doing so. Police put their lives and sanity on the line every day so that the "real bad guys" don't have a field day, and so that we are inconvenienced as little as possible by those who show up on the periphery of our good life, casting a shadow on our rose-colored glasses of how things "should be" - if only the police/justice system worked properly.

Too many people focus on what they perceive as 'failure' and have no clue about the many successes that enable them to live in a relatively crime-free country, and community. I understand that power/authority can easily be misused, even by the best-intentioned and most ethical person, but when someone is faced on a daily basis with unpredictable people and situations, where their life is on the line and where their family stands to lose someone they love - I can see where a self-protective layer of act now, sort it out later can develop. It may not be ideal, but it is human.

I think every person who b!tches & moans about how bad the police are should spend 24 hours being a cop - I bet they'd gain a whole new appreciation. I think whenever criticism is warranted (and it certainly is, at times), it should be constructive instead of reactive and should bear in mind the unique challenges faced by police.
 Xavery
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/15/2009 12:21:29 PM

An average RCMP's perception of the public is distorted and disillusioned by the courageous act of immersing themselves amongst the depraved dregs of society. They eye the world with suspicion and surveilance rather than a spirit of open inquiry.

I only quoted this part of the post which I believe gets to the root of the problem. The way the police perceive the public is distorted. I think this is why the younger officers are much more pleasant to deal with. I agree that police like some bus drivers really need to work on their communicaton skills.

I also think if they should get regular counselling or something to help them if they have spent too much with bottom feeders. I agree that the chronic stress messes some police up and being seriously understaffed in Metro Vancouver just adds fuel to the fire.

Personally, I know a couple of police officers who I like and respect, but the ones I have meet briefly in passing appear to have axxhole written all over them.

VPD Headquarters is going to be under protest today. I just heard this on the news as I was writing this. Apparently, the police ticket the homeless for things like spitting and jaywalking.
 dr00
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:37:05 PM
The police just wrongfully pulled me and my 4 room mates out early afternnon a few days ago, in our boxers some of us! while we were all sick. Woudln't tell us why. Came in without a warrant.

They thought we had a meth lab in our basement. Turns out it was a propane tank. The report was wrong. Go figure.

I hate surrey cops. They were pricks to us the whole time. Lasted 2 hours, and it was during the time I hsould have been teaching lab. So the retarded Surrey police force cost 40-some odd students 2.5 hours of lab time that they paid for. **** them
 PhatFat the WaterRat
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/15/2009 11:23:20 PM
bet you never even got a sorry either.

I have met a fair number of wrongly accused folks and even when proven innocent the retribution in pathetic... as in NONE... too frikkin' bad for YOUR loss.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The Police and Public Perception