Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > New Brunswick  > "Serious Members"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 urchick2008
Msg: 1
"Serious Members"Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the new "Serious Member" Upgrade. I read the sales pitch, I was not overly impressed with the idea.

I also noticed a few upgraded profiles when I was looking around today, so yes, I checked them out. I wanted to see what exactly a "serious memeber" in my area was looking for. So the first profile is looking for Friendship and has two sentences in his profile. WOW, is he ever serious about finding a relationship. The second one is looking to Hang Out, and has a profile that indicates he likes to party a lot, again another really serious man.

I guess I would have thought that a "Serious Member" would be looking for a long term relationship, or at least dating. So what is the difference? Why would I want to upgrade and pay for the same thing that I get now???? What do you think?
 Kimberish925
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/8/2009 10:00:05 PM
As far as I can tell I've been given the "Serious Member" badge. Not sure why though. I haven't given up a credit card or anything.
When the original topic came up I did check yes on the would you consider it/vote window.
Considering it and wanting are two different things...I don't mind the concept, just not fond of the tag of "serious" member. I was serious before as I'm sure many others are.
Wish I would have been asked before they made me a test subject.
 dannyr0697
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/9/2009 7:58:24 AM
Yeah, the gold star is a sign of desperation down here in the deep south. The only members stupid enough to PAY for something that they are getting FREE, have been on here for a while without having any luck, so, I guess, they thought that paying and getting their star would make their mailbox fill up with new letters. After all, it says in their sales pitch that would happen.
Keep it up guys. We need all the help we can get to sort through the dumb*ss members.

Only persistance can show how serious a member is.

L8TR
 blackprince
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/9/2009 9:38:38 PM
Well i do not see any reason to say i am Serious member and to spend money to prove it, besides half the women i email never right back anyways. Its just a waste of money. But hey let the people who want to pay.
 JLarsson
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/10/2009 3:53:23 AM
I didn't read the pitch but I figure I use this site quite a bit between forum posting and profile reading. I'm not sure that the gold will help you get noticed, but it can't hurt and I figure i'll chip in a little to the cost of all this.
-edit-
I probably should have read the posts before posting, but I still don't see an issue with this. Free is tough to support with all the features you get here. Anyway I'm one of the stupid ones willing to pay to support what I use.

joe
 JLarsson
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/10/2009 7:07:34 AM
I still fail to see the need to complain about something that is optional. If he turned around and started charging 10 bucks a month today, people would still have not excuse to complain. Unless they are moderating or providing some kind of work for this site. Free to you is not free to the people paying for bandwidth and server/data base management. If people dont want to pay, don't, but for god sakes don't blame them for trying to pay the bills that allow you to keep using this site.

joe
 dannyr0697
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:05:34 AM

I still fail to see the need to complain about something that is optional. If he turned around and started charging 10 bucks a month today, people would still have not excuse to complain. Unless they are moderating or providing some kind of work for this site. Free to you is not free to the people paying for bandwidth and server/data base management. If people dont want to pay, don't, but for god sakes don't blame them for trying to pay the bills that allow you to keep using this site.

As usual, someone comes on here "failing" to see the facts.
Well, here are a couple for you, since you failed to do the research.
1) Have you ever noticed the advertisments on the pages? Do you think Markus(the founder of POF) allows these companies to place their adds on this site for free? NOT!!! This is how POF pays the bills.
2)The more people that are on this site, the more valuable the add space. This site started off out of Markus' living room. I don't think he had any idea how succesful it would be. We, as members, help pay his overhead by signing in everyday.

But hey, if you feel the need to send him your money,,,,,,,by all means, knock yourself out. As for me, I love this site, been here for 2 1/2 years. Actually met my dream girl here. But I'm keeping my money to spend on important things like food, rent, power,etc. Things are tough all over.

L8TR
 JLarsson
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:32:24 AM

Well, here are a couple for you, since you failed to do the research.
??? lol it must take hours of digging and deep tought to realize that advertising was how this site with the millions of users was paying the bills. WOW. What a shock.

Things are tough all over.

Exactly. I just had to put a roof on my house, so I'd say i'm pretty tapped out. But, hey I don't begrudge you your frugalness. It just would be nice if people would stop complaining about something that is "optional", and continue enjoying the free service.
I'll give you this. I'd really like to have seen the serious member option take out the adds.

joe
 blackprince
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:13:43 PM
Not a one, its how things work if you bring in the women the men will come. Its how bars do it on ladies night and how other dating sites do it. Most women on here never respond to adds anyways. Not all but most.
 Man Behaving Badly
Msg: 10
Serious Members
Posted: 3/11/2009 3:56:58 AM
I can't believe some have fallen for the upgrade.
If the choices in the pond remain the same and you are the same and you aren't happy. Will handing over your hard earned for a gold dot make things better will your odds really increase?
We're most all serious, do you need a Gold dot to convey that to a prospective?
Soon only serious members will be aloud to contact each other and then they be the only ones to be able to make contact with anyone and wham bam you have another pay site.
What's changed?
Resist the Gold dot!!
 Kimberish925
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 3/11/2009 6:57:37 PM
Bellina27 or anyone else looking to have the gold badge removed...
Go to help and send a messge that way. I simply asked to have it removed, explained that I wasn't happy about being randomly chosen and asked to have my "basic" status restored. It took less than 24 hours and it's gone.
 Impulse7
Msg: 12
Serious Members
Posted: 3/21/2009 11:53:02 AM
That's a very good question!!
 hellofagal
Msg: 13
Serious Members
Posted: 3/24/2009 7:39:19 AM
I just became a "Serious Member"..I don't think it's what people think about you as much as,what do you think about you...personally,I'm tired of talking to married men and young guys looking for sex talk,or deviates,and I'm hoping that the serious member connotation will stop them in their tracks...and I will be expecting to not hear from them anymore..Furthermore,I have taken a different outlook as to how I am going to act/talk/discuss/get to know someone who writes to me...and no,I am not being inundated with messages,so what am I to presume?...either,as some have said,it makes me look stupid,or,there aren't many serious men my age on here,which I am more likely to believe after talking and meeting a few gentlemen who I have met on here...being single in an older age bracket does give one lots of stuff to think about,particularly since most aren't desperate anymore...usually we own our own homes,kids have gone,and most have given themselves lots of time to get adjusted to being alone,,and it ain't half bad..we don't have to argue with anyone about money or who takes the garbage out and we tend to grow in self sufficiency and confidence in ourselves..and I don't have to make excuses for being selective...the serious member thingie has plenty of ramifications which you haven't really thought about...
 hellofagal
Msg: 14
Serious Members
Posted: 3/24/2009 5:50:56 PM
Isn't friendship a relationship?...shouldn't friendship come before all else?...who wants a casual relationship and how are you to find out whether you like a person or find them to be exactly what you are looking for if you don't get to know them first?..same goes for "hanging out"...how can you have a long term relationship,or committed relationship without getting to know someone first?...where is the mystique,intrigue,spice,aha moments,if you don't share lots of time together?...before having a physical intimacy?...how do you even know if it's the real thing if you don't spend time together without the sex stuff getting in the way or just being the total center of your relationship?...so,I guess it depends on your level of maturity...and basically what you "really" want or don't want...
Serious Members
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:32:42 PM
I have seen several "men" who have been given free upgrades, as well as women... also people who have been members for a long time as well as new members.

I am sure it was just done randomly.

There is a new badge that you can select instead of the "Serious Member" one... it says "VIP Member".

To me, it just sounds better :)

hellofagal
Msg: 16
Serious Members
Posted: 3/30/2009 6:55:21 PM
how do you know they've been given free upgrades?..for sure...did they tell you and were they telling you the truth?..maybe some don't want to admit that they did upgrade..don't know..would like to find out..doesn't seem right that some pay and some get it free...
 babs0984
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 4/6/2009 12:09:47 AM
I agree- same thing happened to me. Too be honest, I don't take this site all that seriously, but apparently they decided I do! I clicked NO when they asked if I wanted to be a serious member. Not cool POF. I'm going to contact them about this.
 babs0984
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Serious Members
Posted: 4/6/2009 12:11:25 AM
Thanks................................................
 wnight
Msg: 19
Serious Members
Posted: 4/9/2009 6:15:35 AM
The serious membership should not indicate you are hard up. A lot of people play games on this site. People tend to put what ever they feel they want even if they really don’t know what they need. (Knowing needs and wants are different) If you pay for a serious membership, you will notice there is not advertising next to your picture (if you did have a picture). I’ve also noticed that the women on here that have a serious membership logo are not serious. Mostly they don’t have time for you even if you talk to them for months. Once you want to meet after talking or chatting on-line they think you are needy or going to fast for them. There should be a logical progression just so there is no “waisting of peoples’ time”. As Forest Gump once said,” Stupid is as stupid does.” Just do what everyone else does and read the profile and decide for yourself if they are worth the time. We all take chances and hope for the best, with or without the serious membership logo.

At a marketing stand point, if you want to get notice, the serious logo does its job.
Show ALL Forums  > New Brunswick  > "Serious Members"