Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what does it mean when a guy asks how many other guys he is competing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 3
what does it mean when a guy asks how many other guys he is competing with? translate please. Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"How many other guys he is competing with?"
*Guy translator software activated*
whirrrr whirrrrr
The answer is:
"I'm too insecure to cope with any competition."

If you like the guy your answer could be:
There's no competition if I'm seeing you.
If you don't the guy you can say:
There is no competition cus we're not dating.

If you were seeing a guy who dates alot and has alot of online favs would you wonder about it as well?
Same deal for guys.

Competition is not a bad thing.
Just play fair and choose wisely.
Good Luck!
 Demps0431
Msg: 5
what does it mean when a guy asks how many other guys he is competing with? translate please.
Posted: 3/12/2009 6:06:40 PM
I think that it means different things to different men. For me it would generally be an indicator of how attractive she was to others, as well as general probability of meeting and possibly developing a relationship. Men, and most animals I believe (I did not say that most men are animals) like to beat out other men and "win" in the competition for the most attractive women.
 exiss
Msg: 9
what does it mean when a guy asks how many other guys he is competing with? translate please.
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:53:01 AM
I'd say that he wants to know if you are dating multiple guys at once. A few of us just don't care for that sort of thing........
 Rushâ„¢
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/14/2009 6:14:39 AM
It could be because of how attractive you are. Therefore, their insecurities kick in, and they want to make sure that there isn't any other guys waiting in line for you.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:52:36 PM
why don't you define the boundaries of your relationship? are you monogamous or are you free to see different people? it is really very simple. Honesty is always the best policy
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/14/2009 11:17:48 PM
~OP~ I could mean a million different things. The best response? "Why do you ask?" That leaves it up to him to clarify and you can answer or not. JMO
 BlahGrim
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:04:15 AM
I'd second that he is being upfront and is either fairly oblivious or you aren't giving any signals.

I had a similiar issue a couple years ago and asked a different sort of question..but same motivation.
 secretagentman99
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:10:38 PM
It's a good question, just not sure if there really is a good way to ask it. Because no one likes to be dating someone and thinking things are going well, only to be blindsided down the road out of the blue that you're out cause she's decided she likes the other guy better. If you can both be open and discuss everything in the open, then cool. If no one has told you that the two of you are exclusive, then don't asusme you are.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/16/2009 2:37:10 PM
No... The best response is not another question.... Didn't anyone ever point out to you that answering a question with another question is very annoying behaviour.... and often considered a stalling tactic....
My response to "Why do you ask?" would be "Forget it..." and I wouldn't bother pursuing it further....

I think the point is exactly what you state. If someone asks me something that is none of their damned business, "Why do you ask?" is a VERY polite way to say, "You don't need to know that unless you have a VALID reason for asking." No one needs to know my dating habits unless I choose to tell them or unless we have had a mutual conversation about exclusivity or lack thereof. Hence: "Why do you ask?" can be answered with "Because I'd like to think we are just seeing each other." or "Because I'm dating others, and wanted to let you know that's how I'm handling my private life at this point." You do it how you want, I'll do it my way.
 OutMind
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/18/2009 9:25:29 AM

*Guy translator software activated*
whirrrr whirrrrr
The answer is:

Stray Cat, do you have a patten on that software. We can make a kazilion dollars with that program.

Hehehehehe
 Puppydog54
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/20/2009 8:23:08 AM
Silent Man, msg 20, I think put it perfectly
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what does it mean when a guy asks how many other guys he is competing with? translate please.