Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > First signs of Spring      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 notregme
Msg: 2
view profile
History
First signs of SpringPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I saw a gound hog a few days ago.but he might be up early.lol
 4realRU
Msg: 8
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:16:41 PM
There are several Bradford Pear trees in my neighborhood, mine included, that are starting to bloom. Daffodils are up and fully open. When I open my back door I'm greeted with a perfectly tuned chorus of crickets and frogs. Chirp chirp, croak croak croak, repeated all evening long. The harmony is perfect, something only Mother Nature could direct.

My transplanted 'wild' Dogwood will soon follow, the buds are just waiting to bust out. Some of the local kids have recently come over and asked if Belle can come out and play. Belle is my dog and she loves the attention and play that these kids give her.

Carolina Jasmine is in full bloom, Azaleas are ripe with their full flowers of color. Honey bees are out looking for food, my Carolina Jasmine has been covered with them. Honeysuckle will provide more nectar later, Humming Birds will soon converge as well.

Spring is life renewed, Spring is truly Eternal.
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:19:56 PM
I bought two tomato plants yesterday, must be spring!
 ripley65
Msg: 11
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:51:15 AM
Not yet! Still a tad into winter mode here, tho i did notice the start of buds on one tree! lol Still scraping frost off my windshield after work in the morning, the spiders that love my porch are still in hiding (thank goodness!), and tho there is no significant amounts of snow on the ground anymore, the grass is still brown and the gound is frozen. lol A few more weeks yet and we'll see more buds, birds, and people walking their dogs without dressing up like Eskimos! lol

One for sure telltale sign for me besides the obvious ones, is the sun rising a bit earlier and earlier each morning over the St.Clair River. That gets me excited and thinking spring is right around the corner!
 junipermoon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 6:11:29 AM
thus far, i've seen: red-wing blackbirds, horned larks, nesting bald eagles and cedar waxwings. i've heard a great horned owl and a woodcock. while it's a bit early for anything to bud, i do plan to hit a trail today and see if i can find some hepatica and maybe spring beauty.

i love living in central pa, despite the harsh winters. we have so many protected green spaces and wetlands. the excitement of the spring flora and fauna makes the cold months well worth it.
 TooShadows
Msg: 17
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:05:22 AM
Well here in Manitoba we're just starting to get some above zero Celsius weather(32F).
I did see a crow a couple weeks ago. It wasn't a raven which we have all winter. Right now the biggest signs of spring we have are the longer hours of daylight and the warmth of the sun.
 nightflight
Msg: 19
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:15:47 PM

I saw a gound hog a few days ago.but he might be up early.lol

I saw him too and he was selling golfballs.
 *Sanscheyle*
Msg: 20
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:15:13 PM
Op..I live in Florida so there is no spring, fall nor winter. Pelicans are here year round as alligators, snakes, and Egrets. Roseate Spoonbills are here year round as well. ( Pink birds that sport the bill of a platypus and have pink feathers from consuming shrimp on a daily basis.)

I hate this state and I can't wait to move to Alaska. We have only one season down here and If it weren't for the water and the marine life down here, (which my education is concentrated on) I would have been gone a long, long time ago. I hate living on a barrier island in Florida..it ain't all that my friend.

I miss first buds of flowers blooming in the North..I've been down here so long I can't even remember their name..how sad is that?

Sans

Sans
 4realRU
Msg: 21
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:52:51 PM

Those don't sound like the first signs of Spring. It sounds like it's been going on for quite some time in South Carolina.

I think it happened so quickly because we recently changed our clocks and now get an extra hour of sunshine each day, lol. But seriously, way too many of you people think we have it so easy down here in the South. We actually hard a hard winter this year. More then once we had to endure consecutive nights of below freezing temperatures. There was one straight week that I couldn't even leave my house without putting on at least a light jacket. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, one time this year we even went to bed with the threat of snow flurries that night. Talk about having nightmares!

Maybe now some of you people will realize just how rough a Deep South winter can be.

But we still experience the same magical feeling of Springs' arrival that anyone north of us feels. Brown turns to green in an almost instant transformation of death to life. The void that was once called silence is now beautiful music to our ears. Lifeless ponds now teaming with future generations of so many wondrous creatures. All with a purpose, all with a reason for being here.

So it matters not when Spring arrives, all that matters is that it does arrive.
Earlier for some and later for others, always new life, always a surprise.
We expect it by the calendar, counting down the days.

But Mother Nature knows what's best, rest assured, She won't be late.
This magical lady brings a gift to us all, one to behold, one that we awe.
Keep this in mind each chilly night, soon the warmth comes, born of the Suns full light.

My words are futile, pale against such an inspiring sight.
Each year gives us reason to rejoice in this new, abundant life.
Spring is that reason, our season of delight, all too soon our own winter will be our plight.

Now, if you'll excuse me? I must close the windows in my house. The sun has decided to take the rest of the day off and it's beginning to get a bit chilly in here.
 junipermoon
Msg: 27
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:18:53 AM
i nearly forgot about the aroma of fresh manure wafting gently over the entire valley.

yes, spring is truly in the air.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 31
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/15/2009 3:30:04 PM
Motorcycles..............

I see more motorcycles on the road, especially on nice days like today. It reminds me that its about time to bring mine out of hibernation.
 LuvTravl
Msg: 32
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/15/2009 4:07:10 PM
Yellow and purple crocuses in bloom, buds on the willow tree, new tendrils on the strawberry plants...covered in rusty fuzz, baby fish in the water garden....
 yna6
Msg: 35
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/15/2009 7:26:49 PM
I've gotta see robins first before spring is anywhere near here! Otherwise, it's still winter.
 TooShadows
Msg: 36
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:16:55 AM
Well,the geese have arrived back in Manitoba. I heard on the radio this morning that people were seeing them,and sure enough when I went out for a bit four Canada Geese flew over. The heck with robins,geese mean spring to me.
 nightflight
Msg: 37
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:17:24 AM
we had a snowstorm yesterday
 anastazia1117
Msg: 38
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 1:07:27 PM
I saw a few geese in the local marsh yesterday making nests. They're also selling daffodils and tulips at the local markets. I can't wait for spring to be here 100%! I'm invoking spring today by wearing my capris to work! Ha.

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, so I know that we could very well get another 10" of snow in May, but I'm glad Mother Nature keeps giving us little "teaser" days like today (it's currently 58 degrees in Milwaukee... yay!!!). I still have my weather wrap on my windows though. I think I'll wait until the first full week of 50 degree weather before I take it off, just to be sure.

Supposed to be 67 degrees tomorrow... WOOT!!! It'll be a great day for a Guinness! Happy St. Patty's Day tomorrow, everyone! Awww... no green beer icon :(

-Carla
 junipermoon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:15:48 PM
we haven't had the onion snow yet. so we probably have quite a bit more winter in store.
 junipermoon
Msg: 41
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:30:08 PM
you generally get a light snow after planting onions.

it generally comes around the same time as the sapling-bender.

phillie probably doesn't grow many onions or saplings!
 sequoyah61
Msg: 44
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:56:04 PM
I've seen those chubby robins and some cardinals. The squirrels are playing everywhere! My daffodils are in full bloom as well as my forsythia. Most of the trees are beginning to bud, but the river birches are holding out a little longer. The rest of my shrubs (rose bushes, viburnum, purple leaf sand cherry, weigala, althea) are starting to bud also, and my lilies and irises have sprouted their greenery. My clematis is sending out new leaves and my peony has sent up new sprouts. Today it was 70 degrees with tomorrow promising middle 70s. However, there's a saying in Kansas: If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. Later in the week, the highs will barely make it to the upper 40s. Go figure!

Ah, Spring! Yesterday I planted some marigold seeds saved from previous years and raked up winter's supply of my doggie-dos! Ah, dogs!

Sequoyah
 english lass
Msg: 46
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 7:21:37 PM
yes, the canadian geese returning! lifted my spirits to see that...

snow melting - only the snowbanks remaining...

and of course, the chaps outside with tshirts on - it warmed up to 9 degrees today! .. gotta luv the hardy canadians ;)
 Rainie59
Msg: 48
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/17/2009 2:39:54 PM
After a foggy start today, the sun is finally out. Supposed to be in the 70s but I doubt we'll make it to that this late in the day. Looking forward to the weekend - sunshine, 80's, and the smell of spring in the air!!! And Texas finally got some much needed rain last weekend!!! The yard is looking really great!!
 ripley65
Msg: 51
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:01:29 AM
Hey Mystic! Wow,,,,rummage sales for sure are a sign of spring!

Dont wanna burst your bubble, butttttttt,,,,i was out for break at work around 12:30am and it was snowinggggggg! lol Didnt last long tho ~ Yay! lol

My tulips have popped up, but arent blooming yet. Also seen a few of my Peonies poking out of the ground.
 nebula22
Msg: 52
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:17:51 AM
I ran around all day yesterday with a friend until we found a 5 speed overdrive transmission for my Toyota Chinook camper.
I wouldn't put it on the road with the original 4 speed trans. because it over-revved the engine at highway speeds.
I have been wanting a 5 speed to put in it for 3 years.
Spring is here and it's getting warm enough to work outside doing something other than cutting firewood.
 ripley65
Msg: 58
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/22/2009 5:42:15 AM
Mystic...you know how us Michiganders are,,we love our rummage sales!

Supposed to be 51* today!! My neighbors already have their grill outside in their fav grillin spot! lolol
 TooShadows
Msg: 60
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:54:02 AM
Well,so much for spring. Of course,big spring blizzards happen often here in Manitobea. We just had 6-10 inches of snow and back to below 0 temps. Now the melting has to start all over again. sure was a nasty surprise for the robins that had just arrived.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > First signs of Spring