Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Under appreciated Thin Lizzy ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HO2
Msg: 1
Under appreciated Thin Lizzy ?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy often get forgotten when people speak of 70's Rock and Roll.
You would think a black Irish guitarist with a great voice would more popular.
What made this band go down in flames ?
 dr TGonzo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Under appreciated Thin Lizzy ?
Posted: 3/14/2009 2:07:49 PM
I am going with one hit wonder cause that's all I remember
T
 toonsmith
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:52:48 PM
Then you wouldn't remember all the other great songs on the Greatest Hits album.

They were a great band. They formed around 1969 and had most of their hits in the UK. The band started to fizzle in the early 80's with Phil's drug problems. He was certainly an interesting character. Not many bands fronted by a black Irishman with his talent. Too bad he passed away so young. Thin Lizzy could have been huge without his drug addiction.

That twin guitar sound really rocked on the AM radios of the day.

Check out The Cowboy Song... Jailbreak.... Black Rose... and so many others.

There is a lot more to Thin Lizzy than "The Boys are Back in Town."
 dr TGonzo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 8:06:00 AM
For the guys I hung with and the bands I was in, Thin Lizzy was passe, Rush exploded on the scene with interesting time signatures, when T/L hit the scene, it seemed like music had already turned. and marched forward technically. Tommy Bolin just tore it up so did, Mahavishnu, Dimeola,
Later,

T
 TheBigAndy
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/15/2009 1:22:40 PM
Thin Lizzy is under-appreciated for the fact that they never had a guitar demagogue and leaned toward a more subtle and soulful groove than their contemporaries. Oddly enough I was exposed to Thin Lizzy through people who spend most of their time listening to punk, stoner metal, dub/reggae, and sighing at the mention of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. But, hey theres a ton of great bands from the late 60s to the early 70s that are dismissed for lame reasons and excuses.

I guess on the bright side, it's easy to argue that "Boys are Back in Town" and "Jailbreak" are quint essential rock riffs.
 trivv
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/15/2009 1:24:34 PM
Jailbreak is the best song in GTA4, just sets the mood for no matter what mayhem I am up too
 DaleMcMutt
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/15/2009 6:34:48 PM
Thin Lizzy under appreciated due to the fact that three of their most unimpressive songs were over played.

Emerald is probably one of my favorite songs from them.
 MaidenFella
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:02:38 AM
You've got a bad reputation,
that's the word out on the town.
 scienceismagic3
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:14:28 PM
Oh, God yes! Thin Lizzy is soooo under appreciated! I almost named my second son after Phil Lynott. Phil's liver gave out. :( Pretty sure he was only in his 30's. But MAN, Emerald is such a fantastic song, the cowboy song, GAH. Poor Phil. Boo!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:14:02 AM
Shortly before he died, he released a single called "Nineteen." Great song!

Sorg85
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2009 8:09:51 PM
Very under appreciated. Really rockin' band, always gave them a spin on the record player.
 TooWild4u
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/2/2009 12:56:48 PM
There was a video on You Tube, not sure what year this took place, but Thin Lizzy got together with Jones & Cook from the Sex Pistols and they did a heavy version of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas," which was amazing! Not sure if it's still on there? Thin Lizzy was a great band, no doubt they'd still be out there if Lynott had not passed away so young. He was a gifted guitarists and incredible performer.
 MaidenFella
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:25:49 AM
Thin Lizzy really is awesome. I need to get more of their albums.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/4/2009 3:45:16 PM
Never been a huge, huge fan, but I would agree with them being underrated overall as a band. Some cool guitar work.
 doink 1962
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/4/2009 3:46:20 PM
Yeah they were very under appreciated except by other bands who really listened to them as an influence. I love the cowboy song and angel of death both classics!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Under appreciated Thin Lizzy ?