Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > 2009 Manitoba flood forecast      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 edjoecdn
Msg: 3
view profile
History
2009 Manitoba flood forecastPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^^^^LOL, like Doer controls the flood waters .... "It" ( a flood ) is called an act of god for a reason... Not an act of government ! But I can respect the frustration as ppl who were flooded in 97 try to prepare again.

Some of the ppl were smart and started working on ring dikes and contingencies, just in case. Those others who were of the school of thought that .." Na" it won't happen again... well guess what... will this be another 100 year flood ? 500 year flood ? a regular occurrence ?

Anyone Not switching into high gear to prepare right now.... well ... off the roof again ?

It's not funny, but it is nature and nothing else. PPl have moved out to the country to have a peaceful life, pay less taxes, get away from crime , etc.... The flip side is ... you may have floods, snow storms, power outages.. etc.

That's the trade off, i'm sad to say. My place will be high and dry... within the floodway. But then again I pay the higher taxes, deal with the crime and yes this is one of the payoffs for staying with-in town...
 TooShadows
Msg: 6
view profile
History
2009 Manitoba flood forecast
Posted: 3/15/2009 3:53:20 PM
The floodway expansion is pretty much done,at least the earthmoving has been completed. Some bridges still have to be raised. I don't know if the floodway gates are set up for the new volume of water that will be pouring into the floodway,but overall I think that the Red River Basin is in a much better state of readiness than it was in 1997.
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:10:39 PM
Hmmmmmm...

I might have to buy a boat.

I will need 2 blondes....2 brunettes....

And a redhead......ladies only

Sorry Juan.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/15/2009 6:18:51 PM
i can saquat to pee if needed..........
 Lucette325
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:01:26 PM
Red River Rising webcam... http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/floodwatch/Red-River-webcam-42015142.html
 CatManDo1959
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:26:04 PM
I'm curious about something. And I'm not local to Winnipeg. But the areas that were sandbagged in '97 (Brunkild comes to mind), were the dikes/embankments taken down once the situation was over? Like I see those homes in Fargo encircled - it looks practical to retain the walls but once the water's abate, people will be looking at the neighbourhood's Feng Shui (and not wanting to maintain the look of a city under seige).
 TooShadows
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2009 6:31:09 AM
The Brunkhild or "Z" dike was originally going to flattened after 1997 but instead it was built up as a part of the Floodway expansion. As well on the floodplain between the border and Winnipeg the government helped farmers and towns to build dikes by providing partial funding. The construction company I worked for at the time built a few of these. Sandbag dikes are just temporary so they were all taken down.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:02:00 PM
thaaaaaaank yooooooooooouuuu,,,,dtc for the info and history lesson..........miss ya in the manitoba forums, what with your folksy way of explaining the obvious........now about them bombers................ nnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxttttttttttttttttt
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/6/2009 10:55:42 AM
^^^^^^^^^^brrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvvvooooooooooooo^^^^^^^^^^^
 flyin-high
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2009 7:32:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dakota, you couldn’t be more right… also, a hovercraft could be used for so many other things when it’s not breaking ice… just goes to show how short sighted our government is.

I heard that smaller hovercrafts might be used for ice road trucking. Event though they’re more expensive than the average Kenworth, in the long run, a hovercraft is cheaper because you don’t have to keep replacing tires, and they can pull a bunch of trailers at once (like a short train). Best of all, if the ice cracks, it just keeps on hovering, so it’s a lot safer for the driver. I’m surprised no one thought of this sooner.

flyin-high
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 2:21:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you’re not suggesting one of those nuclear powered hovercrafts like the Coast Guard uses, those things don’t seem very safe. A nuclear powered hovercraft would be good for ice road hovercrafting, just because there aren’t many people around the Mackenzie River if one ever did explode.
 LucOberdere
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 4:58:23 PM
This just in... most spring's here abouts we dun getes water flooding... somewhere.

(In other words - ya what he said !)
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:44:20 PM
to break the ice up, ON, the RED RIVER, so that the ice, and water can move quicker up the RED RIVER ,

Why would we want the ice to move back "UP" the Red?

Mississippi and Red connected?

One flows north the other south....

Defies the law of gravity...

Thanks for the geography lesson tho...

*disclaimer*....

I have absolutely no nautical skills.
 LucOberdere
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Manitoba flood to be 2nd worst in 100 years
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:41:15 PM
Rumor has it that the Americans just opened up the tap on Devils Lake diversion full bore - if not for that we'd all be O.K.

CuriousDav56
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 4:06:38 PM
Maybe we should just get rid of all the bridges....

They're causing most of the ice jams.

Hey.....how about reverse the flow of the Red.....

And flood New Orleans again.

Naw....Obama would never allow it.
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 4:12:34 PM
Anyone else notice that since they closed the brewerys that the river is so much higher in spring?

Im corelating my data and bringing it to Doer.

Divert all the food water through a Coor's Light Brewery.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > 2009 Manitoba flood forecast