Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to love someone with differing political views?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aliveone1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is it possible to love someone with differing political views?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I know how I feel about this one, I'm just polling the audience here. How important is it to all of you to find someone who is politically harmoniuos with you? Is it possible to be romantically involved with someone of another political party? Also, given that many people are not politically active...can someone who is politically active pair up happily with someone who isn't, and vice versa? What do you all think about this?
 aliveone1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is it possible to love someone with differing political views?
Posted: 3/16/2009 4:01:29 PM
LOL aries0328. Yeah, I had to stop chatting with someone once who tried to tell me something similar...

I guess my only problem with it is when I feel that someone else's beliefs could make my life a living hell if they were enacted into law.... I wouldn't be able to stop thimking that the person who I was sharing a bed with was cancelling out my vote, and plotting to destroy not only the world, but my life as well....LOL

Friends are one thing, but lovers? That may be pushing it a bit...What do you think?
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:01:36 PM
OP, one doesn't have to look beyond Mary Mattalin and James Carville to have one example.

I'm a libertarian/conservative, was politically active most of my life working on many congressional, state rep, and Republican party campaigns as a precinct captain and area manager. I even held a minor office (small town Mayor) and worked as part of many committees at the County level.

Some of the greatest loves of my life were "moonbat" leftists. I was with a woman for 5 years, who was every bit as progressive as I am conservative. My elder daughter is a social worker, and gay, with Master's degrees in women's studies and social work, and I love her with all my heart, we're in frequent contact both on the phone (3-4 times a week) and in person. My other daughter, 20, is a college senior and very liberal, and she calls almost every day, and I love her unconditionally.

I have many friends, who are liberals. Just because I disagree with the "solutions" doesn't mean I don't respect the other's intelligence or character.
 carolann0308
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:16:03 PM
If you cannot abide by a persons way of thinking or their political ideology then don't pursue a r0mantic relationship with them. It is all about your level of tolerance or having an open mind to accept others views. Acceptance does not mean sharing exactly the same viewpoints. I consider myself both a political and fiscal conservative, but would never question a woman's right to choose or a person's right to love whomever they wish. My political ideas are based on logic not emotions.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 5:42:33 PM
Maria Shriver and Arnold also have different political views. I think you can respect and support someone even if they have different opinions. I dated someone with nearly opposite views on many things. There were things we didn't discuss but we were able to have conversations about politics that did not degenerate into arguments.
 MageeToo
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:40:09 PM
If both are zealous in their political stance, I'm not sure love would overcome. People who are passionate about the things that make up politics usually are compelled to argue their points.
Magee
 ohio07
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:54:50 PM
If your political views force you to stop dating somebody your really into with the exception of that, sorry, you are immature. Very... If it's all good, you can and should be able to agree to disagree. That's what marriages are made of... Compromise!
 aliveone1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:16:20 PM
Korky the Kounselor, I think you said it well. It comes down to the values behind each each political issue. I would guess that it also comes down to how strongly a person believes in what they do. Some issues I feel more strongly about than others. I could debate economics until the sun comes up without feeling a strong attatchment to the issue. When it comes to the many issues surrounding Human Rights, and even Health Care, I may have to politely leave the room to avoid saying something I regret if the person that I am talking to and I are not on the same page.

Many times if I understand what previous experiences led a person to their beliefs (usually religion or money, or cultural differences) it can make it easier to be tolerant of the person. I have had and still do have many friends with different ideas and beliefs. But with a lover, why should I have to try to spend so much energy forcing myself to be pacient with someone when there are plenty out there who would just agree, leaving more time to move on to more interesting topics?

Granted, the angry sex may be good in the beginning....but....LOL
 safn1949
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 8:31:51 PM
It's like any other aspect of someones personality,I am going to use extremes here for examples so bear with me.
Conservative,christian,pro life is probably not going to get along with pagan,liberal,pro choice.I mean that is obvious.
We all have beliefs and you have to be careful about playing what I call "the overlooking game".That's where you say to yourself,"well that's(fill in the blanks)not that big of a deal".
Well in 6 months or 10 years it can get to be a real big deal and cause for divorce whatever it may be and politics are no different,you have to be open and honest and if you can't meet in the middle....you have to be able to walk away for the better good.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:17:42 PM
It's sometimes difficult because the politics here is different. Certain political leanings espouse hate, for example, or intolerance, or just plain want the whole country to be a theocracy under you know who's god. If you don't agree with that, you will have problems, of course.

ohio07
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/16/2009 10:00:04 PM
I dated a girl who was an Obama supporter. She broke up with me, because she thought I was a "conspiracy theorist" for (wait for it...) understanding that inflation is caused by the US printing money and devaluing the currency, rather than raising taxes.

This basic fact was "way out there" for her and she thought I was just "crazy and silly", because I saw that the government was screwing up the economy...

Wow, some folks I guess can be "too insulated" if they think that basic monetary policy is "tin foil hat" stuff. Who knew???
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:02:01 AM
You can love anyone. I loved my uber-religious Catholic grandmother who made a deal with God and quit smoking because somehow if she hadn't quit smoking the markings on my grandfather's chest X-ray some 50-60 odd years ago would have miraculously changed from pneumonia to lung cancer, even though the two disease processes aren't even remotely similar. That doesn't mean I didn't crack up inside and look at her with a little less respect when my father told me the story. Obviously it didn't bother my grandfather, but then aside from him, all their children and grandchildren are atheists, so go figure how that one works out. I think love is not the only thing that makes a relationship work out in the long run.

In my grandfather's case, perhaps it was an infinate ability to humor my grandmother. I myself would prefer it to be mutual respect.

Either way. The short answer for me is no. People nowadays treat politics as though it were religion. And that is, at least for someone who makes an attempt to see all sides while still maintaining a strong oppion, an unacceptable thing to have to deal with.

Just immagine, the type of message you'd send your children if one of you believes in increased access to social services, and increased funding for the same, and the other one would teach their children to "stay away from those people, they're all drug dealers." And yet you were still together.

Talk about a recipie for schizophrenic kids. . . . Who then ironically would require the use of social services. Lol.

No. No it's not.
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:09:57 AM

Are you kidding, some of my best relationships have been with people who hold different political views. It makes for GREAT foreplay!! (as long as everything is kept in perspective...)

Quick follow up in form of open question to Ultimatrix: Ok, but have you ever been married? If so, was it to someone from the opposite party? If so, how'd that work out for you?

Personally if it means skipping debilitating fights, I'll go for a little less foreplay.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/17/2009 4:21:06 AM
I feel very strongly about my politics and I'm actively involved, I doubt that I could be with anyone who was my polar opposite.
 Rushâ„¢
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/17/2009 7:01:28 AM

Maria Shriver and Arnold also have different political views.

Yet from what I've heard, Maria has been trying to get Arnold to switch from Republican to Democrat for some time now. But he just won't budge.

To answer the original question, it is definitely possible. The both of you are just gonna have to understand, that since neither of you see eye to eye when it comes down to political views, there are going to be disagreements.
 swingpup
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2009 8:00:39 AM
Most certainly it is. I'm a left wing liberal, a few very long term female "friends" are right wing conservatives. Once in bed it seems all the political differences disappear. Actually I think they enjoy my liberal views, at least the liberalism when it pertains to sex.
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 17
view profile
History
It is exactly this mindset....
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:07:21 PM

One of my greatest fascinations is how people from the far left preach tolerance but don't practice it...perfectly prepared to be accepting of anyone....who doesn't disagree with them.

Perhaps I can attempt to enlighten you.

I preach tollerance whenever I can. But tollerance must be combined with realities. Not all of us can put flowers in the barrels of guns which are later used to massacre our fellow students, . . . not all of us can face down 20 ton tanks in the middle of Tienamen Square, not all of us can walk headlong at a gate along with 20,000 fellow protestors where we know our ultimate fate to be smacked on the head with a billy club only to turn around and do nothing in response but seek treatment for our wounds.

It's not about being prepaired to agree with people "as long as they agree with me," it's about to what degree their beliefs differ.

I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't be comfortable golfing with Hitler with the caveat, "you know man, let's just not talk politics today. K? . . . So how's Eva's cooking these days?"

And a sizable portion of the so called "Right Wing," is so far removed from the "Party of Lincoln," that I just don't feel comfortable talking to them about things. These same people claim to be affiliated with a man who ended slavery, cherished peace above all things while the country was wracked by war, tore himself up over his percieved failures to avoid conflict as the solution, and desired full reintegration of the South WITHOUT THE PUNITIVE MEASURES APPLIED BY HIS SUCCESSORS, and yet they vocally hate everyone and everything that is the slightest bit different from them in skin color, view point, socioeconomic status, etc. Essentially spitting in Lincoln's face, and pissing on his legacy.

And you wonder why I can't find it in myself to be accepting of their viewpoints?

In the words of Rush; "I can learn to close my eyes, To anything but injustice . . . I can learn to coexist, With anything but pain."

So untill you 'mylifasme,' show me a postcard picture with you giving a big wet sloppy one to Heinrich Himler, while Rush Limbaugh grabs your but, kindly open a history book before your next post.
 TheFallenJester
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:16:39 PM
Absolutely. Unless they're a dirty communist.

Ha!
I kid.

I'm pretty far right myself, somewhat totalitarian to be honest... Soft hand, iron fist, live and let die, eye for an eye... etc...
But I couldn't care less what political affiliation my mate was to have.
Political views don't corrupt morals or integrity, no matter the view, base moral judgement is the same for all people. Or should be. Politics just serve as a base platform for social agendas, and that's all they should.
I've dated a few liberals, and a few conservatives. It makes no difference which side they're on, you can still be a great person either way..
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:20:13 PM
Simply, unless someone is so insecure that he/she can only deal with those who affirm his/her opinions all the time, and in every particular, yes. Such people usually have "issues", and make for lousy partners in a relationship.

Politics matter, of course, but having divergent views doesn't rise to the level of trying to make it work between Bears vs. Packers, or Cubs vs. Brewers fans.
 Revilors
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:26:40 PM
I can't think of anything more lackluster than being with someone that thought exactly as I do. All things being equal...I'll pick the opposite football team just to make it more interesting.

When it comes to a core value belief...it would probably be more of an issue especially if procreation and family/moral values were at issue. I would rather be with someone who could think for themselves...agree to disagree...and keep it interesting. JMO

As far as cancelling each other out at the polls...he already is...I wasn't aware you got "extra credit" for voting with your SO.
 TheFallenJester
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:37:01 PM

Politics matter, of course, but having divergent views doesn't rise to the level of trying to make it work between Bears vs. Packers, or Cubs vs. Brewers fans.

Ha! Politics is easier to work out than a Packers v.s. Vikings fan. Get a lot of those mixed couples where I'm from. Those poor poor misguided Vikings fans...
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 22
It is exactly this mindset....
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:17:14 PM

I preach tollerance whenever I can. But tollerance must be combined with realities. Not all of us can put flowers in the barrels of guns which are later used to massacre our fellow students, . . . not all of us can face down 20 ton tanks in the middle of Tienamen Square, not all of us can walk headlong at a gate along with 20,000 fellow protestors where we know our ultimate fate to be smacked on the head with a billy club only to turn around and do nothing in response but seek treatment for our wounds.

blah, blah, blah.....the intolerance of the left. "I'm normally tolerant, but these issues are so important, that it means anyone who sees things differently is a "fascist, war monger, and probably eats babies".

Point being, conservatives also believe passionately in their beliefs. Anyone, though, who demonizes those who don't agree with him is, in my view dysfunctional. And, yes, for such dysfunctional people, it reveals a level of insecurity that would mean a relationship with those who disagree is impossible.
 Latinbrausa
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:20:51 AM
What? Are you crazy? ..... Oh! i am sorry i forgot you are all Americans! What a brain waste!
 singlebookgeek
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:41:46 AM
no, I don't think so.

It has to be at least somewhat similar.
 mark4prez08
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/24/2009 5:41:58 PM
love...yes....get along with....no plus right wingers tend to be uppity
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it possible to love someone with differing political views?