Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 natural energy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Cat Stevens / Yusuf IslamPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I just watched a biography of Cat Stevens yesterday.
I had lost track of what he was up to.
I knew he had joined the Islam religion and that the US had banned him from coming to the US once since he is on that "no entry" list, but I was not sure what he had been up to since his conversion, or whether he is still banned from coming to the US.
He apparently sued about this.

I am sure that there are many of you here on POF who enjoyed his music as well.

He apparently has released a few CDs with his new style of music, and seems to be involved in humanitarian causes. I checked out his bio on Wikipedia which was quite extensive.

Does anyone know much about what he has been up to these last few years?

Has anyone heard his new CDs? Are they good?
 toonsmith
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam
Posted: 3/18/2009 2:00:46 PM
I really liked Cat Stevens for the longest time. But I thought he lost his mind when he endorsed the fatwa on Salmon Rushdie that was ordered by the Iran Government.

I thought this guy was gone. Pity, I really admired him and especially loved the work he did on the soundtrack to Harold and Maude.

I downloaded his Muslim singing, or whatever you would call it. Bad experience. He sounded like a sick cow in it's death throes. Oh well. I thought.

But suprise, suprise... Cat Stevens appeared on Live 8 a few years back and he performed a lot of his old hits note for note. There were even a few new songs, so this indicated that he was coming back in some fashion. I was glad to see him not completely gone and enjoying sharing his talent once again (that some supreme being gave him)

I don't know what he is doing now. But it would be interesting to google and find out.

Interesting man.
 TooWild4u
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/18/2009 2:54:58 PM
I'm just amazed that the author and singer of "Peace Train" cannot board a plane because he's Muslim! That should give you an idea of the life and times post 9/11!

Having said this, though, he didn't do himself any favors by agreeing with the call for the death of Salman Rushdie & the "Satanic Verses" controversy. THAT'S what got him in trouble, not his Muslim conversion.
 natural energy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2009 3:33:57 PM
I do find it interesting that he would follow the Islam religion.
If you raed his bio on wikipedia, it states why he changed his way of life, but it did not explain why he chose the Islamic religion.

He does look to be such a peaceful guy.
But why he seems to have backed up some violent actions, does not match this "peaceful guy" image. Was there more than agreeing for the death of Salman Rushdie?

His bio does touch on how he has been involved with a few humanitarian projects, such as Save The Children. The bio also touches on his participatation in Live 8, assisting the Hurricane Katrina victims (He apparently wrote a song called "Indian Ocean", and a CD for the Kosovo victims (I Have No Cannons That Roar).

It would be great to hear more about what he is doing.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/18/2009 8:59:41 PM
I nearly got myself into trouble with my email network when I made a joke about him shortly after he had been arrested.
I sent an email to everyone that said 'Did you hear CS got arrested for putting out those lame records in the 70's ?'
One friend in Costa Rica actually believed me.
My uncle wrote back saying hey I worked with him on those records in the 70's.
 natural energy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2009 10:38:55 PM
I just spent a few hours on youtube ....
many of his new songs are there ....... as well as his old ones!

Check out "I Have No Cannons That Roar" ....... and many more!

Her certainly has contributed to many humanitarian causes!
 ultimatrix
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/20/2009 11:41:41 AM
Yeah, I saw the same program a while ago, I think it was pretty cool and from what i've heard, the stuff that he's putting out now maps out his evolution and seems to round out his music really well...

and I agree, I very rarely like the artist if I like the art...
 onemoretimeplease
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/20/2009 4:13:09 PM
Love the old Cat.
Played his morning has broken at my first wedding.
True hes changed like we all do.
But hes still an artist .
Ride on the peace train.
 natural energy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:28:15 PM
Yes, Peace Train and Miles From Nowhere are great songs! .... as is "The Wind"!

Nobody is perfect ...... we must remember that .......

He still created some greast music and I expect he will continue to do so ..........

It will be interesting to see what else he continues to do with his music ....... how politically he will get involved, etc ........

See also the thread on "Music and the influence on World Peace" (Different words in the title ..... but same purpose).
 Bellydanza
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/21/2009 5:17:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Are we a bit prejudice there?

Nobody is perfect??? Because he converted to Islam he is not perfect? What kind of lame ass comment is that? And from an American? America where we have freedom of religion? Wow...You act as though converting to Islam made him less of a performer or human being.He's been Muslim awhile now. Nothing new there.

I have a friend, a black guy from Kansas, who converted to Islam when he was 17. I taught school side by side with him...we were best friends...he is the greatest man I have ever known in my life. And I respect him more than any other man I've ever met in my life. He taught me a lot about Islam too. And it's nothing like most people think it is. I regret that he moved to Kuwait to teach as we don't get to talk as much anymore.

The guy I like right now is Muslim. The fact that he is , never deterred me from wanting to get to know him. See people for who they are, not labels society wants to put on them, and you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.
 natural energy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 7:32:07 PM
holby,
Yes, Yusuf opened up a few muslim schools in London, and worked with the Prime Minister to get them open.

raiderfan18,
How you zero in on the minor comment, and forget about the other major comments about what this thread is all about.
Please don't try to hijack this thread so it will get deleted as many of the Cat Stevens threads in the past seemed to have .... if you see the other thread that exists on Cat Stevens ......

Your comments are more appropriate on the thread I refer to above.
Please comment there.

But, to comment on your comment here ......
I am actually Canadian ...... so, I guess I can be called North American.
Please don't assume that I have had no interaction with muslims.
You know what they say about those who ASS U ME.
Being an educator, I am surprised that you do not read all the comments.
I was complimenting him on his music and talents, so where are you coming from?
Regarding his converion to Islamic ..... please read my comments there as well ........
again more closely .......

I have worked with many ethnicities over my career (both careers) ..... I am not prejudice in any way ...... I treat people as individuals ..... and always give each individual a chance ..... I do not generalize ......
.... my comment was concerning the way "women" and "other groups" are considered in religions such as "Islamic". I also attended a religous workshop on the Islamic religion since I am fascinated with the various religions ....... I do not consider myself blinded by what the media may say about anything .........
so where are you coming from?

All that you say above about your association with your muslim friends does not change my view at all ...... until you are married to a muslim for over a year ..... and go over to their country and back ....... have children, go over to their country and back ........ then, we will listen to what you want to say about it ........ but not on this thread ........ please start your own thread on that topic. That was not the intent of this thread.
Have you seen the movie "Not Without My Daughter"?

.. btw .... I had a border last year who is muslim ..... I am very open-minded .... I saw first hand how women are treated ...... thank you very much ..... I don't take too well being treated as a second class citizen .... and in my own home no less!
We had many conversations about women in their religion ........ I do not fit into that class of "women". Discussing such matters is very difficult when one tries to be as accepting as possible ...... there are prejudices on many sides, aren't there?
If Women are treated as second hand citizens, is this not prejudicial?

Again, please reply on the other thread about this if you want to continue on this topic.... that thread is about World Peace ...... a more appropriate place to discuss such things ......... or ... start your own thread.
 mpaul7172
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/22/2009 3:54:18 AM
Would Yusuf invite Bono and Neil Young to give a string of concerts in Lahore, Cairo, Tehran, Riyhad, Baghdad, etc?
The question about their survival should answer why Cat Stevens is irrelevent as far as music goes. He is now officially on another planet.
 natural energy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 10:33:12 AM
mpaul7172,

Would Yusuf invite Bono and Neil Young to give a string of concerts in Lahore, Cairo, Tehran, Riyhad, Baghdad, etc?
The question about their survival should answer why Cat Stevens is irrelevent as far as music goes. He is now officially on another planet.

You have stated this a few times now in this thread as well as the "music ... world peace" thread.
Why don't you send him an email to ask him?
I have a feeling that he will reply.
You must be careful with such prejudgements.
I have listened to some of his new works on Youtube. Some are very nice .... and the message is one of "peace". If he truly stands behind that, then that is a great thing!

Yusuf lives in London, England and performs concerts there.
I have not heard of any concerts in Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc.
So, why do you bring this up?

I really do not want this thread to go the "hate" route.

I already stated above my concerns about the Islmaic religion .... or any religion or group of people who abuse or suppress any group of people.
But, I will also acknowledge the merits of these groups of people.
It is the aggression value of these groups that should change in the direction of WORLD PEACE ... but keep that discussion in that thread please .... or create you own thread on that topic.

Last night while driving home from a friend's, the radio station was playing Cat Steven's song "Wild World". The announcer stated how he is now known as Yusuf Islam and that his new CD is to be released next month and that it was supposed to be a good CD.
 Byrd
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 9:21:20 PM
I've had his new CD For along time I don't understand it just being released it's very spiritual and I enjoy it very much you would not be sorry if you bought it...
 ATwinklingStar
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/25/2009 5:05:24 PM
I think there are many that dont realize what Arabs/ Muslims go through ...
You have to understand the other side too and see things from their eyes .... here we all only see the bad ..we dont see that they are as human as we are ....they cry and bleed red ...they love their families and they live as we do ...they love chilis and starbucks and movies and music of the west ..but when one thing happens by a fanatical person ...the whole race is blamed and thats not fair ...its happened for years ...and the muslim race itself has been bashed over and over countless times for being a fanatical religion ..and thats far from the truth ...you only hear from the fanaticals so your vision of what true islam is ..gets lost ..and of course in the west ....because of the past ....its a sore spot ..where it should not be ...less than 1% of muslims follow fanaticals ...the rest suffer because of them ..... in return they have learned to mistrust us ...and thats sad.... I know many and they are just like us :)
 toonsmith
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:29:44 PM
I would have to politely disagree on a few counts. "They live as we do." Not exactly true.

The Muslim population that live in England and other countries want to introduce their own systems of law and bypass that countries Judical system. There is a large segment that do NOT want to live as we do, because that goes against their belief system, yet they live in other countries. The Muslim population across the globe is much larger than the world's Christian population and the Koran does push "convert or die" types of ideals.

I have no doubt that Cat Stevens is a very peaceful and religious man who has done great things for others....but.

Cat Stevens did condone the death ordered by the Iranian Government who wanted Salmon Rushie dead for writing a book. (a man writing a BOOK!)

But that doesn't stop me from listening to his music and respecting him on several other things. I actually very much enjoy his music. Many still do. But I don't believe for a second, a black and white picture of them versus us. When it comes to the crimes against humanity and all in the name of God... no one is innocent. History is always repeating itself.

You should read the comics and the magazines that slag the Jewish people and the State of Israel overseas. It is common practice. You should read the editorials on the LACK of anything bad being said by the general muslim population regarding the 1 percent action by the fanaticals. Muslim websites repeatedly have failed to condemn these actions. They remain silent.

Organized religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to mankind. Muslims have killed in the name of Allah, and Christians have killed in the name of God. It doesn't matter what percentage are fantatics. They are out there nonetheless and always will be.

You can't paint a picture so black and white and say they live as we do. It just isn't so. Two different worlds, two different belief systems proclaiming they alone are the way.

...and the song that will be played at the end of days.... Peace Train by Cat Stevens.
 ultimatrix
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:14:34 AM
You know, I wasn't going to respond to the sweeping generalizations that I see populating this thread and others. But this one takes the cake. I fail to see how saying 'they live as we do' (which is true) is a black and white picture. It recognizes the commonality of all humanity, faults and all.

We had the debate about Shari'a law here as well, and more Muslims were against it than for it. (although those for it were very vocal).

It occurs to me that we see what we want to see and if you want to see division, then you will fall back on a 'we' vs. 'they' mentality. I am lucky that I've travelled the world enough to know that what I read isn't always true and to understand context beyond a soundbite. To know that 'we' are 'they' and everyone is everything.

Cat Stevens can be an example of bringing people together, or, as you seem to desire, an 'outsider' whose music should be dismissed because he is 'they' and not 'we'. Too bad this is the choice you are making, but it is your right to make it.

Peace, I'm out.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:28:03 AM
First off you made the comment as if something were wrong with the man because he converted. I responded to it. Because a person is Muslim does not make them a bad person. And that is what you made it seem like with your comment. Words are powerful, so perhaps you should watch the way you word things. You say how you have been around all these Muslims then again generalize about their treatment of women. My best friend from high school has been married for 20 years to a Muslim man and they are happy with three beautiful children.
You cannot generalize and treatment of women is more of a cultural than religious thing. In america most women are seen as sex objects and little else. Is that a problem. YES. Women have a long way to go in reaching for equality in all regions of the world. That is just the way it is unfortunately. But Muslim women are not required to cover ( though in some countries like Saudi Arabia the laws are more strict). For every Muslim woman you think is being mistreated, there is also non Muslim woman being mistreated and oppressed. Most murders of women in America are committed by a ''loved'' one.

Now back to the original question. A person's religion should have no bearing on their merit as a human being. If they are bringing positive things to the world, I could care less how they pray. There are many Muslims contributing to the success of America and the rest of the world. There are Muslim artists putting out outstanding music that I listen to ALL the time.

Last year I choreographed and performed to a song called Tigy Tigy. It is by Egyptian artist Hakim and a Puerto Rican Artist, Don Omar. It's about how we are all the same, we are very much alike and should come together to dance and sing, and live in peace. Music has always had the power to bring people together and hopefully will continue to do so.
 toonsmith
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 11:54:15 AM
I stand corrected. I googled and you are right.

I also read that the Muslim population is growing and the Christian population is shrinking.

By 2035, there will be about 1.96 million active Muslims in Britain, compared with 1.63 million church-going Christians, according to calculations by Christian Research, a think- tank.

If Cat Stevens found happiness in converting to the Muslim faith, more power to him. That's his personal happiness and I can respect that he spent many years seeking answers on his personal journey. I still listen to the old records. I was happy to see him on Live 8 performing and it showed that he still existed as a formidable talent AND as Yusuf.

I do not believe we are all the same and feel alike. The stats shown display that millions of people have very different beliefs. It would be great if we all got together in a group hug and there was peace in the world. But it ain't gonna happen. Our global differences are too extreme. It is my view that organized religion seeks to conquer and it causes more harm than good.

An Arab teenager in another country can have a Madonna poster and watch American Idol, but still say Anti-American slogans like "Down with America" as demonstrated on a recent 60 minutes episode. Is this an example or a sweeping generalization?

Since this is a thread on Cat Stevens and not a debate on the pros and cons of the Muslim faith, I'll stick to that and hum "Trouble" as I surf.

Peace sells but who's buying.
 Ninki
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:45:39 PM
He has released two secular CDs. Actually, the second one isn't out yet.

N.
 natural energy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 5:18:38 PM
My intent with this thread was not to slam any religion.
But, that is what is happening here.
My guess is that this thread will be deleted, since it looks like that is what some of you want to do.
If we still had a Religion forum ..... which most of you probably remember has been removed from POF .... that would be the place to discuss that.

My best friend from high school has been married for 20 years to a Muslim man and they are happy with three beautiful children.
You cannot generalize and treatment of women is more of a cultural than religious thing. In america most women are seen as sex objects and little else. Is that a problem. YES. Women have a long way to go in reaching for equality in all regions of the world. That is just the way it is unfortunately. But Muslim women are not required to cover ( though in some countries like Saudi Arabia the laws are more strict). For every Muslim woman you think is being mistreated, there is also non Muslim woman being mistreated and oppressed. Most murders of women in America are committed by a ''loved'' one.

The treatment of women is certainly a much larger topic, that is for sure ... also not the purpose of this thread.

It is not worth much of my time to really respond to this since my points have been missed, and this is not the point or the focus of this thread.

As I said before, start your own thread on the topic you are trying to make of this thread.

Now back to the original question. A person's religion should have no bearing on their merit as a human being. If they are bringing positive things to the world, I could care less how they pray. There are many Muslims contributing to the success of America and the rest of the world. There are Muslim artists putting out outstanding music that I listen to ALL the time.

This was not the original question. Go back to read my OP.
I never stated what you state here.
Other's have insinuated some of this on this thread.
They too should keep to the point of this thread.

What I will again re-state for the third time:

I personally have a problem with any person or religion who supress or abuse women or any group of people.

I also do not personally believe in any religion who allow multiple wives.

But again, you can start your own thread on these topics since that is not the topic here.
 natural energy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2009 5:25:36 PM

He has released two secular CDs. Actually, the second one isn't out yet.

That is what I heard as well.
I look forward to hear it.

Did you hear the first one? I just heard parts on youtube.
 Poly_Hymnia
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/27/2009 2:16:11 AM
Haven't heard any of his latest stuff, but one of my favourite songs is Morning Has Broken, I love his cover. And Wild World. He was very talented.
 charleston1954
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/8/2009 2:48:32 PM
I had no idea that Cat Stevens is back in the music industry these days.
 sandybonn
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/9/2009 6:25:42 AM
Look him up on myspace, there is a lot of info there and links to his website.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam