Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Goes Gold      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Goes GoldPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

This is it, today is the official day for Internet Explorer 8 to go gold, well in short, it is now officially not a beta anymore.Internet Explorer 8 will be available for download at noon EDT (New York,USA) in 25 languages.Download - Internet Explorer 8 (Active @ 1200hrs EDT)Check Out - New Features of Internet Explorer 8

http://vr-zone.com/forums/406770/microsoft-s-internet-explorer-8-goes-gold.html

I'm using it now. It's better then IE 7 but i'd say it's more of an evolutionary upgrade then aytning else.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 2
Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Goes Gold
Posted: 3/19/2009 7:11:38 PM

I'm using it now. It's better then IE 7 but i'd say it's more of an evolutionary upgrade then aytning else.

Too many Apps I was running seized working after I Installed the Beta some Months back. As soon as I uninstalled it, they worked again. I hope they got that fixed now.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 8:39:21 PM
Live Messenger and Internet Explorer are two diff things. Internet Explorer is the Web Browser software from Microsoft.

Here is the direct download link to Internet Explorer 8 for anyone that wants it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:22:02 PM
Been running the final version now for about 10 hours since it was released and so far so good on my end. Seems like my web pages load a little faster in IE 8 vs IE 7. I've also noticed that streaming video seems to be a bit smoother as well with less Active X load lag.
 metagod
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:48:22 PM
Ill stick to firefox.

I wonder if they ripped off anything else that firefox has before them. ie; tabbed browsing was a firefox feature and IE 7 copied it.

~Tyler
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 4:29:39 AM
I like Opera myself, solid browser. I have been using Opera for years as my main browser.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 6:38:06 PM
An Update on IE8.

I ran into some websites that are having trouble with IE8. A few websites it seems aren't compatible with IE8 forcing IE8 to prompt a stop working messege, even in compatibilty mode, which I figured this was going to happen because some older websites that still use older coding may not be compatible with IE8's new coding. Not a big deal if you use an atlernate browser, but for people that don't and strictly use IE as their main browser i'd wait a couple more months so that more websites are compatible with IE8 if you are deciding rather or not to upgrade from IE7 or just stick with IE7.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/26/2009 3:21:11 PM
I do web design too, and I've learned to loath IE6. May it die a horrible but quick death.

IE7 isn't quite as bad.

I must download IE8 onto my Windows machine. I usually use Google Chrome there. And Firefox (and occasionally Safari) on Ubuntu.

TRiG.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:38:20 AM
What did I say? I use Firefox and occasionally Opera on Ubuntu. Not Safari. I use Safari occasionally on the PC.

TRiG.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:58:32 PM
Many People are getting the Authentication Run-around at Microsoft and can't be bothered with all the accompanying Headaches trying to get it installed.

Both IE 7 & 8 are what I call "hesitating" Browsers, you either have to wait or click again. Too slow, too bloaty, and why bother when Firefox, esp. with Add-ons walks all over MS Browsers.

IE 6 works quite nice, but not a secure Browser. I think IE has pretty well come to an End. Those still praising the MS upgrade Treadmill, those who know nothing but use whatever is thrown at them, or those who never question or compare competing Products will likely be the only Users in the Future. I sense the same slow Death that sent Netscape off to AOL.

Firefox is the Top all around simple-use Browser, and I haven't come across another one quite like it.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:40 PM
I've personally never had a problem with slow load times or crashes with IE 8 the only problem i'm having is some of the sites that I go to aren't compatible with IE 8 even in compatibility mode, but that's why I use Opera as my main browser. I notice a few sites though are trying to update their code to be compatible with IE 8, like VR-Zone for example it used to take you to the home page when go to their website now it directs you to their forums in the mean time.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/30/2009 10:38:38 AM
For some reason, people do use IE. Lazy people who can't be bothered to change, mainly. So web designers need to be aware of the horrible bugs in it. I'm told it's getting better. IE7 is certainly an improvement on IE6. IE8 is, I'm told, not too bad at web standards. Still, it shouldn't be your main browser. It's not very secure, either. The content-type sniffing is a security nightmare.

TRiG.
 ucyimDaRuler
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 5:55:36 PM
IE8 is a great browser! I've been using it since the beta and never had a problem. It still beats Firefox any day of the week in speed.
 tallshyman
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2009 9:40:30 PM
I can not get IE 8 to work with WINDOWS 7

I use firefox 3.0 with Windows 7 sense IE 8 is too slow.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/12/2009 4:02:33 PM
No idea what's wrong with your mum's computer, but I do have a suggested fix: Ubuntu.

TRiG.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/12/2009 4:20:39 PM
IE8 still doesn't support application/xhtml+xml. In other words, it isn't a real web browser. It's a broken heap of shit that swallows the time of web designers, because we have to write one set of code for real browsers and another set of code to deal with the mess that is Internet Exploder. Would people please stop using it!

Also, it's buggy with CSS (though IE8 is a definite improvement over IE7, and IE6 shall not be spoken of) and JavaScript (again, we often have to write two different sets of code: one for IE and one for real browsers).

IE is less customisable than Firefox, and slower than Opera.

Also, and this is the main problem, IE is very insecure. Always has been, always will be. You're far more likely to have sensitive data (like passwords or cookies) stolen from you if you're using IE. It's more vulnerable than most browsers to cross-site scripting attacks.

TRiG.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 1:44:56 AM
My mam installed it onto her XP run pc & now the system wont restart. It gets to the Windows XP page on start-up & then theres a blue scren flash. After that it just returns to the very beginning of start-up again.

Has she tried going into safe mode by taping F8 on the keyboard as soon as she turns on her pc? If not tell her to do that. If she can get into safe mode, tell her to go into Start/Acessories/System Tools/System Restore and choose a restore point prior to the installment of IE8.
 Aadventurer
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 7:25:48 AM
"No idea what's wrong with your mum's computer, but I do have a suggested fix: Ubuntu."
Ya lets give his mom, who isn't likely a programer a non user friendly operating system!
That makes a lot of sense.

I fix and sell computers all the time. The problem this guy is discribing is very likely a hardware issue. Either the power supply or a bad motherboard.
The best thing to do first is to try and reload windows XP (if you don't have a disk you can usually find them on Craigs,list for about 20- 30 dollars.) Make sure its an original holographic disk with either home or Pro that matches your sticker on your machine, it won't matter if its been used before. If that won't start to boot when inserted then most likely it will need a power supply at the least.
 Aadventurer
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 7:38:25 AM

IE8 is a great browser! I've been using it since the beta and never had a problem. It still beats Firefox any day of the week in speed.

IE8 is nothing but a pain in the azz. Its just not compatible enough.

I've been using IE7 since it came out and love it. Very user friendly. I've tried Firefox but occasionally run into a problem and have to resort back to Explorer. So finally gave up on it. IE7 coupled with XP Service Pack 3 has been very reliable and I never use any sort of popup blockers or security software. I've never had a single virus or malware issue since SP3 came out.

Vista from my experience is just XP with a bunch of garbage added to make it look different, run slower, be less compatible, and be less user friendly. I'll probably be using XP pro and explorer until the microsoft gestapo come and peel it out of my boney fingers.
 TRiG_Ireland
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/25/2009 8:31:44 AM

"No idea what's wrong with your mum's computer, but I do have a suggested fix: Ubuntu."
Ya lets give his mom, who isn't likely a programer a non user friendly operating system!
That makes a lot of sense.

I'd say Ubuntu is no harder than Windows, really. Some GNU/Linux distros are strictly geeks only, but Ubuntu's fine. For some stuff, such as installing new software, it's actually far easier than Windows. No need to trawl the web looking for programs: they're all in the repository. Applications > Add/Remove Programs. Tick the boxes on all programs you want to install, untick the boxes on all the programs you have installed but don't want, press apply, and you're done. Simple.

The only problem with Ubuntu is that sometimes novices want help from friends who know a little more. And those friends are likely to be more familiar with Ubuntu. The learning curve is no steeper than for Windows, but there are fewer people to help you up it.

TRiG.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2009 12:34:15 PM
IE could go platinum and I still wouldn't use it.

I have it for testing websites I build only, and I shouldn't have to even do that if they would adhere to the W3C standards like everyone else.

So many people are not going to switch to IE8 because they don't know how/don't care/still use IE6, whatever that as a web designer it makes no difference that IE passes Acid2 now- I will still have to use the hacks and work arounds for a long time to come.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:49:53 PM

I like Opera myself, solid browser. I have been using Opera for years as my main browser.
I've been using Opera for about a year. I used IE for years, used Firefox for years, tried Chrome for a few months. So far, Opera is the fastest browser I've used.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Goes Gold