Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Eharmony - Knowing What You Are Buying ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Landra
Msg: 2
Eharmony - Knowing What You Are Buying ?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I can't imagine any other type of business demanding payment in advance for something they haven't produced, or given the customer a chance to review.
You can find many similar complaints on the comsumeraffairs.com website
 Pitch Blease
Msg: 3
Eharmony - Knowing What You Are Buying ?
Posted: 3/30/2009 3:54:37 PM
Just say no. You did the free weekend thing, didn't cha?

Here's the dillio...You get chosen by a computer. You cannot browse profiles. Most of the people are not members anymore, that is why a good majority do not have pictures up. Then the matches are in Bumblefook Timbuckthree. You mean to tell me, being in NYC (there's a few million peeps in this here city) that I would have to go 5000 miles to meet my harmony?

I fought them for a refund. They told me to take the test over. I did and I was like satan's daughter who liked to do strange sexual things with monkeys and ferrets. They refunded me real quick.
 mphzguy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2009 5:30:33 PM
Yea I agree it's a total ad scam to get you to "buy now'. I did one of those once, paid for a one month membership, emailed a few women, got 0 responses. Interestingly enough the last day of my paid membership I got two different emails from women who were suddenly interested in me. Of course I'd have to renew my membership to return their emails.

It's a big business, big numbers game, all about making money off of YOU looking for someone. If you like, acutally find someone, well you wouldn't need to keep paying them would you?
 Magic_Fish
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:02:12 PM
A girlfriend of mine found her man on eHarmony, so I decided to try it. It's truly a scam.

In the beginning, they send you matches (6 per day - and you have to view them, otherwise they won't send you any more) of guys who's membership have probably expired (I say this because when mine expired, they still kept on sending me matches, then the guys would close the match because I had not responded to their questions). HELLO, my account has expired - please DELETE my profile eharmony.

The free weekends are a joke as stated above and they are still trying to convince me to renew. When pigs fly I say, when pigs ...

You'll have more success (and fun) here.

Just my 2 cents,

MF
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:52:59 PM
I was on e-none-too-harmonious a few years ago(briefly).
After filling out their very long psychoanalytic profile questionaire from hell...
I finally got to see who I matched up with.

It was all Hispanic women.
Now I do like Hispanic women who are as attractive and cool as any other.
But I was surprised that was my only "choice".
No Asian, no Blacks, no whites.
I canceled.
To this day I do not know if my personality type is only suited for Hispanic women...
or if that was the only ones in their Soviet choice bin.

Seemed very soup-nazi to me.
You want girl? We choose girl!
Or no girl for you!
 notregme
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2009 8:46:20 PM
I tryed a payed site before it was really cheap so I thought Ide give it a try.You payed somthing like $20 and they would charge you $1 for each contact.Responces where free after that.Cant lose right?Well I picked my deam girls as closely as I could and guess what?The same as read delet each time.lol.So wasted $20 but it was still cheap and worth the loss.But I will never go to a payed site agine.They try to sell you the idea that if you pay your more sirouse ,but the rejection is the same.lol.If you cant get a date on a free site like this one a payed site wont help much.lol
 Rushâ„¢
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:25:05 AM
I wouldn't recommend any pay dating site, to anyone. I was on crap like Match.com, and True.com.

True was the worst. The fake profiles, winks, and whatever else they had.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:05:15 PM

I can not see the photos of users who I got matched up with.

You're really much better off for not having seen any photos. That site is where all the fuglies who have fallen back to believing in "inner beauty" as their salvation end up. One of the selling points they emphasize in their ads is their lack of profiles (presumably w/photos) which people browse.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:33:04 PM
I agree that eHarmony is absolutely terrible. I was on there for a year and the people they matched me up with made me think they had thrown away my questions and just picked women at random. And what is up with matching me up with women who live 2000 miles from me?

And even if I did match with someone, the stupid process takes so darned long that either their account or mine would expire before we could even exchange e-mails.

A much better site is chemistry.com. I've been on that one for only two months and have already met several women. The idea is similar to eHarmony in that they match you up, but you get many more matches, the matches are much better, and you don't have to run through some ridiculous gauntlet before you can start exchanging e-mails.

I went on one date from that site last Sunday and am going on another next Saturday.
 platypus_man
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 1:41:58 AM

I did and I was like satan's daughter who liked to do strange sexual things with monkeys and ferrets.

Damn. We just missed. I put on mine that I liked chimpanzees and meerkats. And we were so close.......
But seriously. My profile on eharmony was pretty generic, and they told me they had no matches for me.
 elsbethlette
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/1/2009 6:51:01 PM
About seven years ago, I tried EHarmony.

They matched me with a flaming gay man. I mean c'mon. He was wearing a bright pink satin shirt at dinner........

Thank god I only paid for one month.
 xeot
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 8:14:57 PM
I tried the EH free weekend twice... First time 'there are no matches for you'. Ok, whatever. It's only the greater chicago area. Maybe I am that weird. A few days later it comes up with 'matches', exactly what I said were my 'deal breakers'. Yeah, great computer system ya got there :) Delete profile. A couple years later I try again, figured they had to change to stay in business... get matches... jump through hoops of different 'stages'. No pictures. Get to the point of pictures... $50 a month please.... frack that. Delete profile.

I've have never paid for any pay site. Each and everyone has something that sets off my scam-sense. Plus why do pay sites have about 1000 times the spam as the free ones? Not just the fake messages to get a guy to pay but stuff from outside websites. Other dating sites, russian mail-order brides, and so on. POF and are spam-free by comparison.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:29:26 AM
I was over to Eharmony just being curious. Filling out there ****ing question shit, that was so stupid. I thought screw this. And found out from a friend it was nothing but a scam site anyway.
 cannpeters
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:19:36 PM
Tried it and hated it.

I met two men on eHarmony. One was separated. Now, eHarmony doesn't accept separated people, but of course, he lied. I asked him why he hadn't gotten a divorce yet. He said he didn't have the money for it. So, he had enough money for eHarmony but not for the divorce. I told him his priority should have been getting a divorce instead of looking for another woman!

I had dinner with the second man. He told me that he and his girlfriend decided that both would go on eHarmony. If they met someone new, they would break up. If not, they would stay together. Nice! To say the least, I wasn't interested in getting involved in that deal.

I think it's a rip-off!
 theforumfiend
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:03:27 PM
"They matched me with a flaming gay man. I mean c'mon. He was wearing a bright pink satin shirt at dinner........"

Gee, with all the emailing you are required to do before being allowed to meet I'd have thought you'd have had a clue.

To my eternal shame I admit to having tried eHarmony when I was 47. Only one of the men they matched me up was my age and he was already involved with someone. The other 3 men were 64 and older.

Now one of the things they did was ask you what age group you interested in. I wrote them that I was not interested in men that much older than me. Their response was to send 4 more "matches" of men in over 64 crowd. Maybe if I had paid I'd have gotten younger matches?

Edit: For a laugh you should check out this thread about a couple matched by eHarmony: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12104512.aspx
 ryansmsk
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/8/2009 2:12:03 PM
i wouldn't even consider buying eharmony or any other paid dating site , just don't see them as being worth the money in this economy . dating is allready expensive enough , no need to go broke over a dating site profile .
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 5:42:41 PM
The big pay sites all have the same big problem - It's too hard to communicate. The "industry" has gone through a few changes over the years, becoming more and more restrictive about what you can do as a free trial member. Yet most of the people you find in any search are sure to be non-paying... Meaning you can invest your $30+ per month, and a bunch of time writing nice personal emails to some interesting matches - And there's a good chance not one of them will even be able to read your email if they wanted to. Match doesn't even show you who the email came from any more. Were people really that disappointed with what was out there?
You don't only have to overcome the big hurdle of both people liking each other, before you can even get to that point the stars have to align for two paid members to bump into each other.

This is a fatal flaw in the model, with a simple solution - Allow paid members to communicate two-way with non-paid members when they initiate the conversation. But apparently that didn't make them enough money - So instead now they are just selling "the dream". It's false advertising, simple as that.

Notice that those sites never show you who the paid members are? That would be too easy... And too revealing! I wonder if it's 1%? (I would bet less.) If you knew, most people would do one search, discover there wasn't a single interesting member in your town able to communicate, and abandon any thought of paying to try it out.

Back in the day, when Match was new, I met a handfull of really interesting ladies there - Attractive, professional, on-the-ball women. But with all of the changes they've gone through, I'm not convinced it's practical any more. Definitely not a good investment, perhaps unless you live in a major US centre like NYC or LA.
 xeot
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 8:29:03 PM

Notice that those sites never show you who the paid members are? That would be too easy... And too revealing!

They even have profile approval processes to make sure people don't say they only have the 'free' account in their profiles too.

The 'free' profile would go away entirely if they didn't need numbers for advertising purposes.

I'm not bored enough to do this exercise, but the percentage of paid accounts could be calculated by taking the number of profiles match claims to have on their site then divide the gross revenue (might be impossible to find if they are privately owned) on their annual report by an average annual cost from the fee structure. These two numbers give estimates of total profiles and paid members. If match sells advertising space the percentage of paying customers will be skewed upwards.
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:28:10 PM
I would honestly be very surprised if the number of paid members on Match was as high as 8%. If it is, maybe their business model makes more sense than I thought. (eHarmony's % is probably much lower than Match - % of men paying anyway. Let's face it, having to spend a lot of time answering endless questions before you even get a chance to see a picture is not something most men are going to respond well to!)

None of us should be surprised that a big business is out to make money without any real concern for the customers' happiness. Still, I wonder if they wouldn't make more profit if they loosened things back up enough to attract more people by making it a more useful service? Then they could reduce the price, attracting still more people (and the extra subscribers are almost pure profit, serviced by the existing computers.)

I haven't tried AFF, but I'll bet they've followed along with Match to change to forcing you to subscribe to read emails.
 FreschFisch
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/10/2009 12:36:26 AM
I had the most absolutely odd experience..

I met this girl on Match and we dated in a crazy way for 9 months and it ended out of the blue when I had to cancel a trip that I had already purchased tickets for etc..

Anyway she still went on dating sites. Didn't really bother me. I can remember her talking about Eharmony once but it was early on. She said she never matched with anyone period. I always laughed to myself because I thought she was kind of whacked too. But hey she had more good than bad.. or i was just having fun

Well a month after we split I signed up on eharmony and lo and behold guess who one of the first matches i was sent was....

I must be whacked too!

but really I didnt think it was so bad. Of all the sites I have been on it had the most even headed, non-materialistic, professional type females. POF is whacked but it is multi-dimensional. It is interesting to see who takes the time to explore and communicate. This place could make money... Im new.
 NotTheAverageChick
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:03:32 PM
The founder of EHarmony is a very famous fundamentalist Christian who is also very politically active. I won't bother quoting all the facts but the gist is that he founded the site SPECIFICALLY for Christians, with Christian values (ie., women submit to men, etc.) to the exclusion of everyone else (free thinkers, feminists, non-religious, etc.). Of course, he put a sheen of universality to it. But, I remember a few years ago, there was a big outcry from gays/lesbians as well as atheists about how the computer algorithms so expertly blew them off (no pun intended).

And, if you look at the couples matched on the tv ads, you can just imagine how generic and cookie-cutter their responses likely were!

So, all of us independent thinkers just have to work a little harder at finding someone. But, we knew that, didn't we?
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 11:26:40 PM
Estrella: You got an actual rejection? Or you completed the thing, logged in and had no matches? I had no matches off the bat, but they kindof trickle in. But then, I'm Christian...
 kickingfate
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/24/2009 3:58:37 AM
The only thing that gets successfully matched at Eharmony is Dr.Moneybags you see on TV and the suckers money. He gets matched with your cash and you get some computer selected match from the northpole.
 TheRedBaron9
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/24/2009 11:33:13 AM
My paralegal and his wife met at eharmony.com. I met my girlfriend on match.com. I've never tried eharmony, so I can't speak for it from first-hand experience, mind you. I thought match.com was utterly fantastic. My two cents, for what it's worth.

You've got a friend,
Luke
 bender1954
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/24/2009 2:45:21 PM
Hey now i know someone whos wife found another woman on true, and they are living together happily ever after lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Eharmony - Knowing What You Are Buying ?